PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer advice

Faer Gnomeblood
2012-11-23, 11:37 PM
In my game of d&d 3.5 i decided to play a chaos gnome draconic (blue) sorcerer
We are starting at level 3 with LA buy off allowed and i have decided to focus more on illusion style spells and was going to prc in wild mage and shadowcraft mage (using up most of my feats) so any advice for optimization? (most rules are allowed though my DM can be picky at times)

Faer Gnomeblood
2012-11-23, 11:41 PM
Oh also in my party is a cleric, barbarian and rouge.

Urpriest
2012-11-23, 11:50 PM
Starting out with LA +2 on a caster is really not that great, and you're not getting much in exchange. You won't even be able to start paying off that LA until ECL 8.

Faer Gnomeblood
2012-11-23, 11:57 PM
Oh sorry i meant draconic alternative class feature so chaos gnome (+1la) and the draconic heritage feat.

Urpriest
2012-11-24, 12:12 AM
Oh sorry i meant draconic alternative class feature so chaos gnome (+1la) and the draconic heritage feat.

Ok, that's a little better. Chaos Gnome is still only debatably worth it for LA +1, but it's not crazy.

Shadowcraft Mage has its own optimization conventions, and handbooks, depending on how deep you want the rabbit hole to go.

Wild Mage loses another caster level, so might not be worth it, but it does at least expand your spell list. You might want some summoning support if you were doing that: Cloudy Conjuration or the like.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-11-24, 12:24 AM
1. Ancestral Relic feat (BoED)
2. Make it a custom Runestaff (MIC p224)
3. When the party would sell junk loot for half value, buy it out of the party pool for that price. You get a portion of that back when the cash gets split. Sacrifice the full value of that junk loot into your relic. You're now upgrading it for less than half price.
4. You can even switch what spells it contains whenever you upgrade it, as the item's shape and its enchantment's end result not exceeding the level cap or your invested sum is all that matters.

nedz
2012-11-24, 12:33 AM
If you are playing an illusion based sorcerer then there aren't all that many spells you need to know for your core talent anyway. This leaves you plenty of space for utility and to cover the reflex, fort and SR bases.

If you are going for the twin save spells though (Shadow Conjuration et al) then you ought to consider pumping your DCs.

Faer Gnomeblood
2012-11-24, 01:00 AM
Also feel free to post your opinions on any changes you think could be made.