PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Scared of new campaign.

Dissonance
2012-11-23, 11:39 PM
Okay, the DM is great, the people are vet roleplayers and I'm making the arcane caster. He is going to be a mailman style of sorcerer. Human. and generally a blast to play. except for one thing.

The DM is telling me I start with The Staff of Magius (http://www.forgottenlance.com/artifacts/magius.htm)

Yea, that's right. I'm not kidding. I asked if he seriously giving me this thing. He said yes. I asked why and he wouldn't answer. I am extremely terrified for my caster now. Because of the fluff of the setting. (Dragonlance) I am denied access to the de facto most powerful stuff available for mages in general. (funny how they always skimp for the good guys right?)

So, what are your thoughts on how this might play out?

Duboris
2012-11-24, 12:12 AM
Looks pretty regular to me.

He's probably just going to take it from you as soon as the campaign starts through some general DM fiat, and make it something you need to try and get back.

Pretty decent story starter, honestly.

That's assuming he didn't give anyone else anything ridiculous.

NikitaDarkstar
2012-11-24, 12:27 AM
In general I wouldn't worry to much. To begin with it's not that powerful of an item in the beginning, it just has some pretty serious backstory to it, that just happens to include it being handed down to young mages who later became quite powerful and well-known. But yes, once you start being able to use more and more of it's spells it's a pretty powerful item, but right now? Not so much.

And as Duboris said I can see it being used as a plot-hook. You just got entrusted with this famous artifact, you lost it, you need to get it back or go down in history as the person who lost the staff of Magius.

Deathkeeper
2012-11-24, 12:38 AM
Just don't do what Raistlin Majere did with it and take two months to figure out that the command words for all its spells are the names of said spells. :smalltongue:

nedz
2012-11-24, 09:02 PM
Maybe he thinks that Sorcerers are too weak :smallamused:

But more likely — its a McGuffin.

Unless you have Identify — unlikely for a Sorcerer — how are you going to find out what it does ?

Maybe see if it can do Retributive Strike :smallbiggrin: