PDA

View Full Version : Looking for race

weckar
2012-11-24, 03:43 AM
I was just having a look through the master list of all LA+0 races, and I couldn't help but noticed that CHA got shafted. Hard. It is probably the most penalized ability, and only receives bonuses from three races. All those races are fluffed to be morally Good (capital G) without exception.

What - The - Abyss

Can someone EXPLAIN why this is the case? And a way to remedy in it a way that would work by RAW?

Darrin
2012-11-24, 09:53 AM
I was just having a look through the master list of all LA+0 races, and I couldn't help but noticed that CHA got shafted. Hard. It is probably the most penalized ability, and only receives bonuses from three races. All those races are fluffed to be morally Good (capital G) without exception.

That's more or less the default for *all* PC races, so I don't see how the Cha-based races are all that different.

I assume you're referring to Aasimar, Star Elf, and Spellscale?

Aasimar: I love playing aasimars with an evil bent. Keeps everybody on their toes!

Star Elf: No more good than the usual "Oh, all elves are goody-two-shoes, live in tree cities, and love putting flowers in their hair, tra-la-la..."

Spellscale: I can't really see anything particular in their fluff that says they have a preference for good/evil. In fact, worshiping Tiamat appears to be a viable option for all Spellscales, even the good ones.

And then there's one last LA +0 race with a Cha bonus (so long as you don't go into an AMF, that is): Hellbred with the Spirit aspect. And they just kinda ooze "Born to be Bad" (or rather, ReBorn).

docnessuno
2012-11-24, 10:26 AM
Cha is actually one of the easiest stats to boost staying withing 0 LA

In addition to the already mentioned races, the magic blooded template give you +2 Cha -2 Wis among other nifty stuff, while unseelie fey gives +2 Dex, +2 Cha, -2 Str, -2 Con, a general evil/mischievous theme, and great powers (some of them almost broken). Both templates are LA +0.

Jade_Lance
2012-11-24, 12:07 PM
I think I understand what the OP was saying. We have races of Bad Guys with a CHA penalty like Orcs/Half-Orcs, Goblins, Gnolls, etc. We have sweet, angelic Aasimars with their CHA bonus, and mean, diabolical Tieflings with their CHA penalty.

I think this is because the Bad-Guy races don't get along with anybody, even each other. The CHA penalty represents this. I picture an Orc or Gnoll camp as rowdier than a biker bar, and with more fights.

On the other end of the alignment spectrum, we have Good-Guy races that work and play well with others, and this is represented by a nice bonus to CHA, like a gold star on their report card.

The only thing that doesn't fit this is that Intimidate is CHA based. I'd make up for this by giving Orcs and Half-Orcs the feat that lets them use STR instead for Intimidate. Half-Orcs are a pretty sucky PC race as far as racial abilities are concerned anyway, so they could use an extra feat. :)

weckar
2012-11-24, 12:13 PM
Jade has the right idea. Thanks for explaining it better than I ever could :)

Another caveat is Sorcerers: While a good few can claim a fiendish heritage, almost by definition this would make them suck at what they do.