PDA

View Full Version : Myconids, 3.5 race, PEACH

zzuxon
2012-11-24, 11:26 AM
I'm making Myconids into a PC race for a campaign setting. I want it to be LA 0. Keep in mind the standard ability score modifiers in my setting is +2, +2, -2.

Myconids
Enigmatic Mushroom Men, Myconids are fairly reclusive, but not too uncommon in the other nations.

+2 Con, -2 Dex, +2 Int, -4 Cha,

Medium

Base land speed 20 ft, but are immune to incumberance.

Burrow Speed of 10ft.

Plant (Humanoid): Immune to spells such as hold person.

+4 to hide checks in forests.

+2 to Sense Motive, Diplomacy, and gather Information checks.

1 Bonus power point every other level if the Myconid has levels in Psion.

Low Light Vision

Acid resistance 5

Wild empathy applying only to plants and fungus.

Immune to disease, sleep and paralysis. It also possesses fast healing 1.

Spores: Myconids can cause a variety a spell-like abilities with their spores. They choose 3 from this list at first level, then learn one new one every 3 levels afterward. 4 uses per day total, not per spore ability.
•Calm: Functions as calm animals, but also applies to other creatures.*
•Charm Person
•Obscuring Mist
•Neutralize Poison
•Neutralize Disease
•Daze Monster*
•Sleep
•Hypnotism*
•Cause Fear*.
•Remove Fear*
•Confusion, Lesser*
• * Does not affect mindless creatures.

At 8 HD, Myconids can use fission as a psi-like ability once per 7 in game days.
Automatic Languages: Myconid, Tallandine. Bonus: Any

80sSkeletor
2017-09-14, 11:24 AM
Why not just convert the Monster Manual 2 race and play a Junior Worker? One Racial hit die and makes a really good rogue.

Debihuman
2017-09-14, 05:39 PM
Humanoid is not a subtype in 3.5.

These are a overpowered for LA 0 because they have so many abilities. I recommend that you narrow their focus a bit. They don't need so many spore abilities. Pick two. Or make them only available in certain climates. They should not be immune to encumbrance because the other PCs will make them carry everything. As a result, they should have their -4 ability score be to Strength rather than Charisma just to make things fair.

Acid resistance should not be available at level 1.

Here are the Plant traits. Mycoinds should have all of them except immunity to mind-affecting effects because they are intelligence plants.

Traits
A plant creature possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).

Low-light vision.
Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, polymorph, and stunning.
Not subject to critical hits.
Proficient with its natural weapons only.
Proficient with no armor.
Plants breathe and eat, but do not sleep.

The inability to use weapons is likely to make this less appealing to PCs. Perhaps you should limit them to light melee weapons.

Debby

rferries
2017-09-14, 08:44 PM
Do you have any examples of other LA+0 races from your setting? These myconids are vastly more powerful than any core race (even considering they have a net -2 to their ability scores whereas the standard races you use have a net +2). It'd help if we knew the power level you're balancing your "LA+0" around (because it's currently looking like LA+2, objectively).

rferries
2017-09-14, 08:46 PM
Apologies for double-posting!

Here are the Plant traits. Mycoinds should have all of them except immunity to mind-affecting effects because they are intelligence plants.

Don't plants get immunity to mind-affecting effects even if they have Intelligence scores? Same as constructs and undead?

Debihuman
2017-09-15, 12:16 PM
Don't plants get immunity to mind-affecting effects even if they have Intelligence scores? Same as constructs and undead?

"A plant creature possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry)." If it isn't noted in their entry, they don't have it. I would delete this immunity from PC mycoinids as it is overpowered.

Debby

rferries
2017-09-15, 04:49 PM
"A plant creature possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry)." If it isn't noted in their entry, they don't have it. I would delete this immunity from PC mycoinids as it is overpowered.

Debby

Ah but any creature with "plant traits" listed in their bestiary entry has the mind-affecting immunity incorporated into it, yes? Agreed that it's wayyy too powerful for a PC race, in any event.