PDA

View Full Version : Dervish Dance + Oversized TWF

White_Drake
2012-11-24, 12:58 PM
I know that oversized two-weapon fighting normally sucks because you're spending a feat for a tiny damage increase, but if you have dervish dance and you use it to dual wield scimitars, would it not suck? I honestly just thought of the implications of dual-wielding scimitars, and I swear that this isn't for a Drow character.

Snowbluff
2012-11-24, 01:04 PM
Except I think Dervish Dance is meant to be used with 1 Scimitar in 1 hand.

Even if that wasn't the case, OTWF would still suck. It literally reads at +2 to hit. Not many people seem to understand this. :smallannoyed:

White_Drake
2012-11-24, 01:11 PM
It says "when wielding a scimitar with one hand" which doesn't exclude two-weapon fighting.

jmelesky
2012-11-24, 01:14 PM
Except I think Dervish Dance is meant to be used with 1 Scimitar in 1 hand.

Quite so. According to the feat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/dervish-dance-combat):

You cannot use this feat if you are carrying a weapon or shield in your off hand.

I'm also not clear how you would wield an oversized scimitar in one hand -- it would become a two-handed weapon when wielded by a smaller than normal creature, which means dervish dance wouldn't apply there, either.

White_Drake
2012-11-24, 01:15 PM
Missed that last line; back to the drawing board.

Talya
2012-11-24, 02:05 PM
Oversize TWF does not completely suck... it's not the die increase you take it for, but the ability to power attack with your off-hand.

nedz
2012-11-24, 02:19 PM
The 3.5 PrC Dervish allows you to do this from level 1.

Snowbluff
2012-11-24, 02:31 PM
Oversize TWF does not completely suck... it's not the die increase you take it for, but the ability to power attack with your off-hand.

... you don't gain any capability to do anything.

Darrin
2012-11-24, 02:53 PM
The 3.5 PrC Dervish allows you to do this from level 1.

TWF with two scimitars, yes. However, it treats both scimitars as light weapons, which means you can no longer power attack with them.

Talya's point is Oversize TWF allows you to power attack with both your primary hand and your off-hand (which is still considered a one-handed weapon for anything other than TWF penalties).

The best parts of the Dervish PrC can be more or less duplicated with two feats: Oversize TWF and Travel Devotion.

The Dervish Dance feat, however... ugh, what a waste of text. I guess you could still use an unarmed strike as your off-hand... but still, it's like the designers deliberately didn't want the feat to be actually useful.

Talya
2012-11-24, 03:06 PM
Talya's point is Oversize TWF allows you to power attack with both your primary hand and your off-hand (which is still considered a one-handed weapon for anything other than TWF penalties).

Yup.

Now, you could argue, "You don't need OTWF for that! You can just weild a one-handed weapon in your off hand!" So now you're at -4 to hit with both weapons, instead of -2, and that's two more points of power attack you're not using. (Plus, there's the very minor bonus of the damage die bump.)