PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question about LA

Zelkon
2012-11-24, 03:25 PM
Are skills and feats based of ECL or class level? If I'm a cleric6 with a +2 LA (unoptimal, I know), do I get to invest up to 9 ranks or up to 11 in a skill? Do I gain my next feat in a level or in three? I would assume I count of level 6 because I don't get skill points on LA levels, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

KillianHawkeye
2012-11-24, 03:27 PM
Neither, they are based on total Hit Dice which includes class levels and any racial HD you may or may not have. Level Adjustment is NOT included because it doesn't grant you Hit Dice.

BowStreetRunner
2012-11-24, 03:29 PM
With Level Adjustment you do not receive any hit dice, increase in BAB, saving throw increases, skill points or anything else based off of your character level.

The easiest way to think of LA is both a penalty the DM uses when determining the appropriate Challenge Rating of encounters as well as a penalty when the DM hands out experience for those encounters.

Zelkon
2012-11-24, 03:39 PM
With Level Adjustment you do not receive any hit dice, increase in BAB, saving throw increases, skill points or anything else based off of your character level.

The easiest way to think of LA is both a penalty the DM uses when determining the appropriate Challenge Rating of encounters as well as a penalty when the DM hands out experience for those encounters.

Darn it. Oh well, I'll drop the template and just gain an extra two class levels.

Urpriest
2012-11-24, 03:48 PM
I thought I had already directed you to my handbook (link in sig), which covers this in exhaustive detail.