PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Healing w/ two Dhampir in the party?

SymPhoenix
2012-11-24, 05:35 PM
Hey, all! I'm having a bit of difficulty in my current party. Two people have chosen to play as dhampir, which makes them like undead, in that positive energy will hurt them, and negative heals them. Two other people in the party are non-undead, so positive energy would heal them. I've been asked to help with the healing, since the two bards (the dhampir) are going stealth-based, while the oracle is going to be buffing everyone else rather than healing, nessecarily. And the gunslinger is gonna shoot stuff.

Any ideas for classes that could most effectively help the party in all endeavors? We're at level 1 right now, all classes are open. Currently playing a half-elf paladin, but willing to change.

Sayt
2012-11-24, 06:07 PM
Honestly, Cleric is looking like your best bet. A good aligned cleric can't spontaneously cast harm spells, but they can prepare them if need be, whereas I don't think a Paladin can.

And as for channeling energy, looking at the Cleric's Channel ability, it seems to be modal: You make the decision whether you're trying to harm or heal with X-Energy channel. If you choose to heal with positive, you do nothing to undead, if you chose to harm undead with positive, you heal none.

Now, personally, I think this is silly, and my group has house ruled them together, but that's not, as far as I can tell, RAW.

The other option is for them to burn some of their gold on potions of inflict wounds, or to have somebody buy a wand of the same, but these are somewhat less efficient options, as far as I'm aware.

Ravens_cry
2012-11-24, 06:23 PM
Neutral cleric with Versatile channeller (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/versatile-channeler) could help quite a bit.

Ranos
2012-11-24, 06:24 PM
Chest of preparedness full of troll styptic could cover your healing ?

TypoNinja
2012-11-24, 06:31 PM
The Spontaneous Wounder Feat would seem like your best bet in a mixed party of living and unliving. There's also the opposite feat to spontaneously Cure if you'd rather be Command/rebuke

Its on Complete Divine page 85.

The prerequisites are all simple for a cleric, ability to cast inflict, non-good alignment, wis of 13, 4 ranks in knowledge religion.

You only get to spontaneous the inflicts a number of times per day equal to your wisdom mod, but since your a cleric that should be a pretty high number anyway.

Spontaneous Healer is identical, just any non-evil instead of non-good.

Edit:

Whoops, totally missed the PF, ignore me if your DM isn't allowing 3.5 stuff

North_Ranger
2012-11-24, 06:45 PM
If I remember correctly, the Selective Channeling feat will allow you to pick who gets a dose of a cleric's channel energy. That way you don't roast half the party while healing the other.

SymPhoenix
2012-11-24, 06:48 PM
I think I may just go with the wand solution. We've got access to the governor's treasury, so the DM told me it wouldn't be hard to get a wand of Inflict Light so I can help everyone. Thanks, playground! :smallbiggrin:

Draxar
2012-11-24, 07:20 PM
IIRC Psionic healing isn't Positive Energy, and thus doesn't care if you're a dhampir. Thus, a Vitalist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/vitalist) could work quite well if your DM will allow it.

gomipile
2012-11-24, 07:21 PM
Also, remember that fast healing works on undead as well. So, anything that grants fast healing to a target works equally well on all your party members.

Arutema
2012-11-24, 07:40 PM
Also, remember that fast healing works on undead as well. So, anything that grants fast healing to a target works equally well on all your party members.

Such as the Infernal Healing spell, though the fluff on that tends to restrict it to followers of Asmodeus.

Treblain
2012-11-25, 12:00 AM
You could get the rest of the party to take Necromantic Affinity (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/necromantic-affinity), and be a negative energy party. It will probably get you into trouble somewhere down the line (try explaining it to NPC healers), but it would be interesting to see.

grarrrg
2012-11-25, 12:46 AM
You could get the rest of the party to take Necromantic Affinity (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/necromantic-affinity), and be a negative energy party. It will probably get you into trouble somewhere down the line (try explaining it to NPC healers), but it would be interesting to see.

Hmm...
Technically Negative Energy still harms you if you have Necromantic Affinity.

Benefit: You gain a +2 bonus on saving throws made to resist spells and effects that utilize negative energy, cause negative levels, or cause ability damage, ability drain, or ability penalties. In addition, damage caused by inflict spells heals you as if you were an undead creature, but you also take damage from cure spells.

By RAW, it specifically calls out "inflict" and "cure" spells, NOT Positive/Negative energy.

Treblain
2012-11-25, 12:26 PM
That's weird. So aside from Channel Energy and other effects, Heal and Harm would work normally, just because they don't have the words "cure" and "inflict" in their names? That seems pointless.

On that subject, Dhampir aren't undead, so if a cleric is fighting undead and they Channel Energy with positive energy, they could choose to target the undead and not hurt their Dhampir allies in the burst of positive energy.

grarrrg
2012-11-25, 12:35 PM
Ah, here we go:
Amulet of Channeled Life (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/a-b/amulet-of-channeled-life)

When worn by an individual with the negative energy affinity racial trait, it alters the effects of positive energy on his body. When targeted by positive energy that heals living creatures, the wearer instead gains half the hit points the positive energy heals as temporary hit points.

Costs 12,000 (half if you can Craft)