PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Make me a demon(ess) BBEG!

TheJudicator
2012-11-25, 01:53 AM
Evening, Playgrounders! Knowing that the collective mind of this community is capable of creating the awesome no matter the task, I come to you with a humble request.

My wife and I are building our own campaign, dark fantasy with several elements. Long story short, the PCs are played to release a Great Red Wyrm from a sealed prison, led to do such by a sorcerer who wanted the dragon's power. Naturally, the sorcerer was himself a pawn, being given his abyssal power by the true BBEG. My lady just got a huge inspiration on the identity of this entity:

A vile, twisted demon-dragon hybrid of awesome power.

Now here's the challenge: we know this will be a custom monster, and we have no clue how to build one. That's where you come in. We need help starting out and fleshing this entity beyond what we have. We know this feminine creature will possess the Half-Dragon (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/half-dragon) template, so no worries there. As far as power level goes, we're looking at a power level equivalent of a Balor (so CR 20...22 with template). We do want her to have two distinct forms: a humanoid, sultry figure with some scaly, semi-horn etc. features that can be mostly concealed if need be, and a grotesque, powerful demonic form that only will be revealed when her temper is lost. That's about all we got, but this is definitely a boss encounter along with the great wyrm, with high risk of pc death from her terrifying power and ability. The rest I leave to you in your capable hands, and I thank you in advance for all your help.

TL;DR: Stat up and/or flesh out a CR 22 half-dragon demoness BBEG for a deadly final battle.

SowZ
2012-11-25, 03:28 AM
First- pick type of HD. Let's use dragon HD to make her more scary. So all good saves, full BAB, d12 hit dice. Then, amount of HD. I'd say about 21 or so is a good bet. Then stats... okay, so more casty or more physical?

Abilities? Hmmm. Polymorph would do what you want. True Seeing cause why not. SR of maybe 25-30 or so? Something for escape or utilitarian movement. Dimension Door as spell like ability would work if you like that, otherwise you could come up with something else.

As a seductress, Dominate Monster useable once per day per target as a spell like ability would be in keeping.

DR is a must. DR/Good is better than a Dragon's DR/Magic, so let's go with DR/Good. 15?

Stats? 25 to 35 across the board. Maybe something like a 33 Cha if a Casting focused boss.

the_david
2012-11-25, 03:42 AM
Why not a Half-Fiend Dragon? Cough*Ashardalon*Cough.

Ofcourse your idea would work as well. Pathfinder rules or Pathfinder setting.? Because Rovagug is still buried deep within Golarion. It could be just one of his spawn.

It kinda reminds me more of Ebberon with the Dragon below.

TheJudicator
2012-11-25, 03:49 AM
Having those features definitely seems o make her more formidable, and the polymorph feature does fit. As for what type of fighting...we are definitely thinking she would be, without a doubt, an "in your face" combatant. Primarily in the matter of physical superiority, though with her methods of deception and control, I'd imagine she would have several demonic magicks and other abilities at her disposal as well.

Namely, my other half imagines that, should it happen, any pc death by her hands should be a memorable, bone-chilling affair. Even more so when she loses control and reverts to her grotesque form.

Oh, we are simply using the Pathfinder ruleset. Nonspecific as to the setting.

docnessuno
2012-11-25, 12:14 PM
Did you consider tweaking an half-dragon marilith?

Half red dragon Marilith - Fighter (lore warden) 3 - CR 22

CE Large dragon (augumented outsider, chaotic, demon, evil, extraplanar)
Init: +12; Senses: darkvision 60 ft, low-light vision, trueseeing Perception: +35
Aura: unholy aura (DC 25)

DEFENSE
AC: 46, touch 20, flat-footed 36 (+4 deflection, +6 Dex, +19 natural, –1 size, +8 armor)
HP: 408 (19d10+304)
Fort: +24, Ref: +23, Will: +20
DR 10/cold iron and good; Immune electricity, fire, sleep, paralysis and poison; Resist acid 10, cold 10; SR 31

OFFENSE
Speed: 40 ft, Fly 80 ft (average)
Melee: Greataxe +39/+39/+34/+29/+24 (3d6+28 / x3), 4 flails +35 (2d6+17), bite +35 (2d6+17), tail slap +30 (2d6+9 plus grab)
Space: 10 ft; Reach: 10 ft
Special Attacks: Breath weapon (30 ft cone, 16d6 fire, DC 34) constrict (tail slap, 2d6+17 plus crushing coils), infuse weapon, multiweapon mastery
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 19th)
Constant - true seeing, unholy aura (DC 25)
At will - greater teleport (self plus 50 lbs. of objects only), project image (DC 24), telekinesis (DC 22)
3/day - blade barrier (DC 23), fly
1/day - summon (level 5, 1 marilith 20%, 1 nalfeshnee at 35%, or 1d4 hezrous at 60%)

STATISTICS
Str 42, Dex 27, Con 42, Int 20, Wis 20, Cha 25
Base Atk: +19; CMB: +36 (+38 disarm, +40 trip and grapple); CMD: 43 (can't be tripped)
Feats: Combat Expertise, Power Attack, Combat reflexes, Improved trip, Greater trip, Improved disarm, Break Guard, Improved Initiative, Step Up, Following Step, Step Up and Strike, Double Slice, Improved natural attack (bite)
Skills: Acrobatics +25, Bluff +25, Diplomacy +20, Fly +20, Intimidate +25, Knowledge (Arcana) +25, Knowledge (Geography) +10, Knowledge (History) +10, Knowledge (Local) +20, Knowledge (Planes) +25, Knowledge (Religion) +10, Perception +35, Sense Motive +25, Stealth +25, Use Magic Device +25; Racial Modifiers: +8 Perception
Languages Abyssal, Celestial, Draconic; telepathy 100 ft.

SPECIAL ABILITIES
Crushing Coils (Ex): A creature that takes damage from a marilith's constrict attack must succeed on a DC 34 Fortitude save or lose consciousness for 1d8 rounds. The save DC is Strength-based.
Infuse Weapon (Su): Any weapon a marilith wields gains a +1 enhancement bonus to attack and damage, and strikes as if it were a chaotic and evil cold iron weapon (in addition to retaining the qualities of its actual composition).
Multiweapon Mastery (Ex): A marilith never takes penalties to her attack roll when fighting with multiple weapons.

CLASS FEATURES
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: proficient with all simple and martial weapons and with light armor.
Maneuver Mastery: A lore warden gains a +2 bonus on all CMB checks and to his CMD.

EQUIPMENT (Roughly 270.000 gp)
Mithral Chain shirt +4, moderate fortification [50.100 gp]
Amulet of mighty fist +1 [5.000 gp]
Belt of physical might +4 [40.000 gp]
Ring of foe focus [10.000 gp]
Manual of gainful exercise +1 (used) [27.500]
Hat of Disguise, Greater (aloows a humanoid form) [12.000 gp]
Adamantine greataxe +4, speed [101.020 gp]
4 Masterwork mithral flails [2.508 gp each]
Wand of greater invisibility (10/50, CL7) [4.200 gp]
Wand of cure lght wounds (50/50, CL1) [750 gp]
Wand of Major image (20/50, CL5) [4.500 gp]
Wand of Silence (20/50, CL3) [1.800 gp]
Wand of Locate Object (10/50, CL3) [900 gp]
Wand of Lesser Restoration (10/50, CL3) [900 gp]
6x Spring loaded Wrist Sheaths [5 gp each]

SowZ
2012-11-25, 07:19 PM
Did you consider tweaking an half-dragon marilith?

Half red dragon Marilith - Fighter (lore warden) 3 - CR 22

CE Large dragon (augumented outsider, chaotic, demon, evil, extraplanar)
Init: +12; Senses: darkvision 60 ft, low-light vision, trueseeing Perception: +35
Aura: unholy aura (DC 25)

DEFENSE
AC: 46, touch 20, flat-footed 36 (+4 deflection, +6 Dex, +19 natural, –1 size, +8 armor)
HP: 408 (19d10+304)
Fort: +24, Ref: +23, Will: +20
DR 10/cold iron and good; Immune electricity, fire, sleep, paralysis and poison; Resist acid 10, cold 10; SR 31

OFFENSE
Speed: 40 ft, Fly 80 ft (average)
Melee: Greataxe +39/+39/+34/+29/+24 (3d6+28 / x3), 4 flails +35 (2d6+17), bite +35 (2d6+17), tail slap +30 (2d6+9 plus grab)
Space: 10 ft; Reach: 10 ft
Special Attacks: Breath weapon (30 ft cone, 16d6 fire, DC 34) constrict (tail slap, 2d6+17 plus crushing coils), infuse weapon, multiweapon mastery
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 19th)
Constant - true seeing, unholy aura (DC 25)
At will - greater teleport (self plus 50 lbs. of objects only), project image (DC 24), telekinesis (DC 22)
3/day - blade barrier (DC 23), fly
1/day - summon (level 5, 1 marilith 20%, 1 nalfeshnee at 35%, or 1d4 hezrous at 60%)

STATISTICS
Str 42, Dex 27, Con 42, Int 20, Wis 20, Cha 25
Base Atk: +19; CMB: +36 (+38 disarm, +40 trip and grapple); CMD: 43 (can't be tripped)
Feats: Combat Expertise, Power Attack, Combat reflexes, Improved trip, Greater trip, Improved disarm, Break Guard, Improved Initiative, Step Up, Following Step, Step Up and Strike, Double Slice, Improved natural attack (bite)
Skills: Acrobatics +25, Bluff +25, Diplomacy +20, Fly +20, Intimidate +25, Knowledge (Arcana) +25, Knowledge (Geography) +10, Knowledge (History) +10, Knowledge (Local) +20, Knowledge (Planes) +25, Knowledge (Religion) +10, Perception +35, Sense Motive +25, Stealth +25, Use Magic Device +25; Racial Modifiers: +8 Perception
Languages Abyssal, Celestial, Draconic; telepathy 100 ft.

SPECIAL ABILITIES
Crushing Coils (Ex): A creature that takes damage from a marilith's constrict attack must succeed on a DC 34 Fortitude save or lose consciousness for 1d8 rounds. The save DC is Strength-based.
Infuse Weapon (Su): Any weapon a marilith wields gains a +1 enhancement bonus to attack and damage, and strikes as if it were a chaotic and evil cold iron weapon (in addition to retaining the qualities of its actual composition).
Multiweapon Mastery (Ex): A marilith never takes penalties to her attack roll when fighting with multiple weapons.

CLASS FEATURES
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: proficient with all simple and martial weapons and with light armor.
Maneuver Mastery: A lore warden gains a +2 bonus on all CMB checks and to his CMD.

EQUIPMENT (Roughly 270.000 gp)
Mithral Chain shirt +4, moderate fortification [50.100 gp]
Amulet of mighty fist +1 [5.000 gp]
Belt of physical might +4 [40.000 gp]
Ring of foe focus [10.000 gp]
Manual of gainful exercise +1 (used) [27.500]
Hat of Disguise, Greater (aloows a humanoid form) [12.000 gp]
Adamantine greataxe +4, speed [101.020 gp]
4 Masterwork mithral flails [2.508 gp each]
Wand of greater invisibility (10/50, CL7) [4.200 gp]
Wand of cure lght wounds (50/50, CL1) [750 gp]
Wand of Major image (20/50, CL5) [4.500 gp]
Wand of Silence (20/50, CL3) [1.800 gp]
Wand of Locate Object (10/50, CL3) [900 gp]
Wand of Lesser Restoration (10/50, CL3) [900 gp]
6x Spring loaded Wrist Sheaths [5 gp each]

This is certainly simpler, yeah. Hmm, seems fine. I'd give a few more spells, DCs charisma based. To add to a horror feel, some visually striking spells could work. Try Evard's Black Tentacles 1/day. The hat of disguise takes care of the need for Polymorph. Seductress idea should be represented mechanically. Dominate Monster 1/day is still good, I think.

To compensate, maybe take away some abilities. Maybe replace Greater Teleport with Dimension Door. Besides, now the Boss can't blink away at half health and ruin your climactic final boss battle.

herrhauptmann
2012-11-25, 07:26 PM
Why not a Half-Fiend Dragon? Cough*Ashardalon*Cough.

Ofcourse your idea would work as well. Pathfinder rules or Pathfinder setting.? Because Rovagug is still buried deep within Golarion. It could be just one of his spawn.

It kinda reminds me more of Ebberon with the Dragon below.

Followed immediately by the next boss fight? The dragons heart.
A halfdragon balor if I remember right.

Runestar
2012-11-26, 08:34 AM
My advice is not pathfinder-specific, but I hope it can be of help nonetheless.

Dragons of eberron has this spell, 'strength of the true form', which allows a dragon in alternate form to basically get the full natural armour, dr and physical stats of its more powerful form. It normally lasts for 1 round, but can be persisted to last all day.

So the idea is a red dragon of the appropriate cr who stays and fights in humanoid form initially (alternate form can be accessed via a feat in dragons of eberron, she would have the spells and bab to simulate a decent gish-style npc). She would still get full NA and str (in conjunction with her awesome bab from her dragon HD), making her a formidable opponent either way.

Then when the going gets tough, she reverts back to dragon form. If you want fiendish traits, fiendish codex has the abyssmal heritor feats. 4 feats give you +3NA, +1 insight bonus to 2 stats, +4 damage to natural attacks and +4dr/lawful.

You need 7th lv spells to pull this off, so this will either be an ancient red dragon (cr23), or a very old red dragon (cr21) with either the loredrake template (dragons of eberron) or the spellhoarding psychosis template (dragon 313, converts sorc spelling to wiz spellcasting), or an old red dragon (cr20) with both the loredrake and spellhoarding templates (just enough to give it wiz13 spellcasting).

Statwise, you can just use the stock red dragon in the MM. For gear, give the dragon a magical sword to use in humanoid form, but otherwise, stick with gear and consumables she can use in both forms (e.g: stat-boosting gear, bracers of armour etc). Also consider feats / gear that boost her caster lv to resist dispelling, such as practiced spellcaster (complete arcane) and ring of enduring arcana (complete mage).

For spells, use some long duration buffs such as superior resistance; you can have her alternate sword strikes with attack spells to add some variety (and have the dragon form resort primarily to melee). Arcane spellsurge (dragon magic) effectively let the dragon cast 1 spell each round as a quickened spell, so she can cast a spell and still full-attack.

A nice little twist to a traditional draconic showdown. :smallsmile:

TheJudicator
2012-11-26, 11:52 AM
For starters, this is all really good stuff! I'm amazed at the depth of detail in these responses given over this amount of time. I do have a couple questions and comments regarding the two main builds here...

In regards to the half-dragon Marilith, it does seem quite sound, and the stat block provided certainly makes our job easier, even with the tweaks. I would certainly add a few spells or SLAs utilizing spells from the enchantment (charm, compulsion) and illusion schools, simply to add in the whole "grand puppeteer" of manipulation and the like. I am curious as to the choice of class levels however. How, in rp terms, would levels in Lore Warden be justified, and how would it be mechanically superior to a different choice: say, three levels in Antipaladin?

As for the idea of a straight dragon with feminist influences and an alternate form, I do appreciate it despite my discomfort with blending rulesets. Though if I did go for such, I believe pathfinder dragons could do that easier. For example, the Great Wyrm (CR 22) I mentioned earlier would translate to 3.5 as an Ancient Dragon, and comes pre-equipped with Spellcasting ability equivalent to a 19th level sorcerer. One could then simply slap on the Fiendish or even Half-Fiend template and go from there. Just a thought...

docnessuno
2012-11-26, 12:29 PM
I did chose lore warden for bonus feats and CMB boost, the variant also makes all int-based skills class skills, giving a nice boost to many areas.

Antipaladin would come with a nice +8 to all saves, but considering she has a minimum of +20 and players DCs will hardly surpass 25, i think that would be overkill.

Fluff-wise i bult the marilith as a master of melee combat with a strong focus on cmbat manouvers, so Warrior is more fitting imho.

As for the spells, high UMD plus wands can cover a lot of bases. If you want to tweak the SLAs i would just remove project image, telekinesis and fly, replacing them with equal-or-lower level spells.

Runestar
2012-11-26, 07:47 PM
Well, I wasn't too familiar with pathfinder rules, so I can only hope it is not too hard to convert 3.5e npcs over...

And why no stat block was provided either. :smalltongue: