PDA

View Full Version : Let's Play: Romancing SaGa 3

Zrak
2012-11-25, 02:47 AM
So, I've been wanting to do a Let's Play for a while. Square's semi-lost classic Romancing SaGa 3 seems like a good place to start; RS3 hasn't been done to death, insofar as I can tell; the game's free-form style allows for a lot of reader input; many of its workings and mechanics are inscrutable and obscure enough that I can actually do a pretty informative LP; and, most of all, it's a fun, weird game with a lot of replay value, so I'll enjoy it and hopefully be able to keep the commentary funny and interesting. So, without further ado:

http://blog-imgs-42.fc2.com/d/i/g/digordie/rs3boxfront_convert_20101111020240.jpg

Romancing SaGa 3 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romancing_SaGa_3) is the sixth game in the SaGa franchise, which is mostly known outside of Japan thanks to the SaGa Frontier games, which followed the Romancing SaGa series in the overall SaGa franchise. Much like Square's more famous Final Fantasy series, the SaGa games aren't a series in the sense that they follow a chronological narrative or even occur within the same universe, but in the sense that they're "spiritual successors" to one another. Generally, they're more free-form than their FF counterparts, and character advancement strays from the general exp->level up formula seen in most games. In RS3, using skills gradually increases them (casting wind magic can improve a character's wind magic skill, fighting with swords makes a character better with swords, and so on), and battles in general increase HP — there are no "levels" at all. As a testament to the game being free form, it opens with a choice between one of eight protagonists. While a lot of the game remains the same regardless of one's chosen character, each one does offer a slightly different experience.

The main character is also customized with a profession (which alters his or her base stats somewhat) and favored weapon. Like the character's profession, favored weapon alters the base stats by a few points, but, more importantly, it pretty much defines what kind(s) of weapons the character can use. Each favored weapon gives the character a "learning type" which defines which Special Techniques the character can learn without excessive (I really do mean excessive) effort. Learning types are generally kinda straight-forward, but if the multiple qualifiers before "straight-forward" didn't give it away, parts of them are also just totally bananas. For those really interested, there's a Japanese chart of them floating around somewhere, and I think there's an English version, as well, but it's a little harder to find. For our purposes, I'll just generally outline what's relevant to the situation.

Besides whichever of the eight main characters we choose, the party can hold up to five other characters, four of whom can be in battle at any given time. For the most part, it's a pretty liberal revolving door, so the line-up can, and almost certainly will, change throughout the game. It would be pretty tedious to leave every little change up to a vote, but I will leave the "final party" largely up to you guys. Since that's a ways off, though, I'm going to table it, for now, to avoid bombarding people with too much information.

Before I write up the information on the main characters, professions, and weapons/learning types, I'll wait a little bit to see if there's actually any interest. Anyone who's familiar with the game (or goes off to look on their own) can feel free to toss out their opinions before I make the post, of course. Like most Let's Plays I've seen, I'll mostly listen to you guys, but I do retain some veto rights to make this doable/enjoyable for me. I'm not sure about any hard-and-fast rules about playstyle, though feel free to suggest any and, if they aren't too crazy, I'll give them a try. Here's hoping there's some interest and, if there is, you all enjoy the LP. I'll write up the characters later tonight/tomorrow, if it looks like people would be interested.

Deme
2012-11-25, 01:04 PM
I'm interested. I mean, I don't know these games...But that's part of the joy of following LPs.

Tono
2012-11-25, 01:27 PM
Im conflicted, on one hand it looks interesting. On the other hand I now hate you for making me want to play the Saga Frontier games again.

SlyGuyMcFly
2012-11-25, 02:43 PM
Looks interesting! I'm not the slightest bit familiar with the franchise, so I'll definitely follow this.

T.G. Oskar
2012-11-25, 03:14 PM
I'm saddened that no one knows about Romancing SaGa, because this particular incarnation, IMO, was way too advanced for its time. I mean, it's a SNES game, and it has things that current-gen games have (to an extent: customizable characters, unique battles*, non-linear storyline**)!

I know only of a few characters that have something unique, though:
Julian: it's introduction scene is a bit longer than the others, and your choices determine whether Monica remains in your party or not. Also, it takes quite a lot of time for them to reach Loanne.

Harid: the unique quest that improves its Kamsheen.

Katrina: not that much, but it has the change of clothes IIRC. Plus the Masquerade quest.

Thomas: IIRC, you start better in the Merchant mini-game, because Thomas is from a mercantile family.

Mikhail: Only Mikhail has full access to the wargames, and it also has the task of ruling Loanne, so it's one of the hardest. The ending is influenced by this ruling game, as well.

Sarah: ABSOLUTELY DON'T READ THIS IF YOU DON'T WANT END-GAME SPOILERS!!!!!!
She's the other Destined Child. You get Shonen (the whiny boy in the Inns) that way, and the final battle is a special "Commander" battle where you get to order all the characters, plus enable the special options for when the main character is on the sixth slot.

Monica: Hers is a disability:
Choosing her apparently disables you (and I think so does Mikhail) from accessing the Holy Grail quest, thus preventing you from getting Leonid, the vampire, as one of your party members.

The only one that doesn't seem to have something special is Ellen, as far as I know.

*: there's four battles that have some sort of special rules. One of them is spoiled in the game trailer (the battle against Byunei with your main character and Gwayne), but there are a few others:
the battle with the Algernon, the leader of the Rat Pack; the battle with the Devil Car where you mount the other prototype, and the one where you face the leader of the Divine Church in Pidona alone, as the rest of the party members appear every turn.
**: there IS a linear storyline (defeat the four Devil Lords), but you can complete them out of order. Otherwise, the game is almost entirely comprised of side-quests.

Zrak
2012-11-25, 11:32 PM
Awesome, I'm glad to see some interest for this game, especially from people who aren't familiar (no offense to those who are), since it's always exciting to introduce people to new things.

I have a few final notes before I post the character info for voting, though. First, RS3 was never translated into English, officially, so I'll be playing using Mana Sword's fan translation. It's by far the most functional translation patch out there, but it isn't perfect. That said, its flaws don't prevent you from understanding what's going on, and they're often hilarious, so I don't mind the occasional wonky translation. The main difficulty this poses is that a lot of the information on the game is either in Japanese or based on a variety of translations. Accordingly, you'll see FAQs and such use different terminology, monster names, and so on, which can get pretty confusing. I'll be sticking to what Mana Sword uses in his translation, though I'll point out the other common translations. For instance, I use "techniques" and "TP," while other translations use "Waza" and "WP." These are the same thing, just as MP and JP (jutsu points, I think?) are the same, it's just that different translations use different names.

So, without further ado:

Main Characters
http://s10.postimage.org/fv8rfgbnt/rs3cast.png
Left to Right:Mikhail, Harid, Julian, Thomas, Ellen (above), Sara (below), Monica, Katrina

Characters:
Mikhail, Marquis of Loanne
Mikhail has sat on the throne of Loanne since he was very young, and the responsibility has been a heavy burden on shoulders. Mikhail can be quite the snob, and is often a huge jerk to his little sister, Monica, but he is a caring and dedicated leader. Stat-wise, he's kind of mediocre, not really bad at anything, but not really great at much, either. RS3 doesn't exactly punish balanced characters, but it doesn't really reward them, either. Of course, job and weapon choices can help focus his talents. As T.G. Oskar noted, he has the unique feature of the “ruling” mini-game, where you control his kingdom. The ruling game can be pretty difficult, but it does provide a unique advantage, in that he can get as many of the otherwise-rare Blacksmith items as he desires, since he can draw upon the resources of the whole realm. As a recruit, he's nobility/epée, and becomes available after one Abyss Gate is sealed.

Harid, Wanderer
Harid, also known as “El Nool” and “The Tornado” is a famous swordsman who once served a royal family in the Naj desert, falling in love with the Princess, Fatima. The Divine Temple overthrew the monarchy and, as far as poor Harid knows, killed his Princess, so now he wonders the world, offering his blade to the highest bidder and looking for “a good place to die.” Before I go on, I should admit that I'm completely biased and Harid is my favorite of the main characters. That doesn't mean he's your favorite, though, so don't for him just because I think he's awesome. Besides being a stone-cold badass in the game's story, Harid starts out as a powerful character and remains solid throughout the game. He's pretty much useless when it comes to magic, but give him just about any weapon type (epée and bow are the exceptions) and he will excel beyond your wildest dreams. He's the only character who can access the King's Capitol, which has a lot of great loot and is the best late-game grinding spot. It's also a really cool dungeon, and having exclusive access to it also means Harid is the only character with exclusive access to a boss, IIRC. He has two main disadvantages, both of which are easy enough to deal with. First, he always has to have a certain kind of sword equipped in his first slot, but he can just use the weapon in his second slot, if it's better, so whatever. Second, he starts off with a very high “greed counter,” which is actually bad. Certain events can't be done if a character exceeds a certain score, and Harid starts as close to the limit as possible. Unless you want to lose access to some cool quests and great items, Harid can basically never ask anyone for money or doing anything the game would register as greedy. You'll make plenty of money without resorting to "greedy" methods, but it could still be a pain to have to worry about, I guess. As a recruit, he's fighter/sword, and I think he's always available.

Julian, Settler
Julian's the male side's “everyman” figure; he's basically just an average guy living in a small frontier town until he happens to be dragged into saving a princess and, later, maybe the world. He's got a pretty sweet Ziggy Stardust thing going on, what with his wild green hair and orange leather jacket. He clearly has kind of a thing for Monica from the very start. Stat-wise, his strength is phenomenal (tied with Harid's) and his Wil is high enough that he'll have solid magic defense even if you pick a job and weapon that dump Wil. His other mental stats aren't great, but he's certainly competent enough for a support mage, and his high Wil makes him great at Sun magic. His only real downside is a pretty poor speed score, but if you don't have to go first every battle, his stats are great. Like T.G. Oskar said, his introduction is super long, and as a result has a lot of stuff you don't see in the other introductions. As a recruit, he's hunter/sword, and available after one abyss gate is sealed for everyone except Mikhail, for whom he is always available.

Thomas, Merchant
Thomas's motto is “Business in the front, adventuring party in the back.” He's an intelligent, soft-spoken young man who's about to inherit his father's business. He's one of Sara's few close friends, and one of the only people she isn't as shy and guarded around. Thomas's high con makes him pretty tough, and he's got great mental stats, but even with job and weapon choices, he's a pretty lackluster fighter. He makes a pretty solid mage, since his Int helps his magic damage and Cha (usually) helps him make status effects stick, but his low physical damage can be a pain throughout the game, especially in fights where magic isn't too useful, for one reason or another. Thomas unlocks the merchant mini-game, which involves some pretty complex strategy and can change his and other characters' endings. As a recruit, he's merchant/spear, and available to be recruited as soon as the player reaches Pidona.

Ellen, Settler
Ellen is the everywoman to Julian's everyman. She's Sara's older sister and a pretty normal lady living in the same frontier settlement as Sara and Julian. Being a frontier settler, she's pretty tough, and quite protective of Sara, who she sees as her responsibility. She's also a giving person who never does much for herself or takes much time to herself. Her dex and speed make her a pretty capable warrior, especially with a job/weapon that boosts her mediocre strength. Her low con makes her a little fragile, or at least means she'll take more grinding to get the HP she needs. Her high charisma makes her great for using magic that gives status effects, so she's also a good support mage. Ellen's unique feature is, I guess, a lack of unique features? As a recruit, her stats would indicate that she's fighter/axe, but for some reason, she has the kung-fu learning type. She can be recruited at any time.

Sara, Settler
Sara is a survivor of the “death eclipse,” which apparently targeted specific people, or children of a certain age, since older characters aren't described as such. The experience left her a little shy and jumpy, and at the start of the game, she's only truly comfortable around Ellen and Thomas. Her fear doesn't make her any less capable, though, and Sara proves to be an asset throughout the game as a main character or a recruit. Her stats are pretty great, and she can go in almost any direction with the right job and weapon focus. That said, her Wil is already pretty low, and she'll be drowning in awful status effects if it gets any lower. Also, as T.G. Oskar said, for spoilerific reasons, Sara's path diverges hugely from the other main characters near the end of the game. Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of having her as main character when this happens, but I could definitely give it another shot if people really want to see Sara.

Monica, Princess of Loanne
Monica is the Princess of Loanne, and thus Mikhail's little sister. One gets the feeling he doesn't approve of her adventurous, action-girl side, but it might just be that he's her big brother trying to look out for her. Or it could be that Mikhail is a jerk who refuses to travel with his sister and makes her leave the party if he joins and she isn't the main character. Either way, Monica has ideas of her own on the subject, and frequently sets out for adventure; the game starts, for most characters, with Monica risking her life to warn her brother of a traitor in Loanne. She's a lot like Mikhail, stat-wise, balanced enough that she can do most things competently, although her Cha is really high. Like Mikhail, she'll suffer from crippling mediocrity unless we pick a job/weapon to focus her in a little bit. As a recruit, she is scholar/epée, and available after on abyss gate is sealed. Or never, if you're Mikhail.

Katrina, Noble
I'm not really sure what Katrina's official position in Loanne is, but she's an elegantly gowned noblewoman who wields a graceful epée that magically turns into a two-handed sword with which she wreaks incredible havoc. She seems like an undercover bodyguard type or something, but maybe she's just a baroness who happens to prefer claymores to rapiers, I don't know, but it's pretty cool, either way. After her epée that turns into a greatsword is stolen, she hacks off a bunch of her hair and sets out on a quest to find it. She has the highest base dexterity and speed of any starting character, so she makes a great fighter if you pick a job that helps her strength. As a recruit, she's merchant/big sword, but that doesn't really matter, since Katrina is never available as a recruit.

Stat Tables:
Base Stats:
{table]Character|Str|Dex|Spd|Con|Int|Wil|Cha
Ellen|16|18|20|12|17|16|22
Harid|19|14|21|15|16|18|19
Julian|19|17|15|16|15|23|12
Katrina|16|20|24|15|12|17|17
Mikhail|16|17|19|17|17|21|17
Monica|17|17|18|18|13|17|21
Sara|18|16|19|15|21|11|19
Thomas|15|14|16|17|22|16|19[/table]

Professions:
{table]Profession|Str|Dex|Spd|Con|Int|Wil|Cha
Hunter|-1|0|+2|-1|+1|-1|+1
Scholar|-2|+1|0|-2|+2|+1|+1
Royalty|+1|-1|-2|0|0|1|2
Fighter|+2|-2|-1|+2|-1|+1|0
Merchant|0|+2|+1|+1|-2|-2|+1[/table]

Weapons:
{table]Weapon|Str|Dex|Spd|Con|Int|Wil|Cha
Sword|0|0|0|0|0|0|1
Big Sword|+1|-1|-2|+2|0|+1|-1
Axe|+3|-2|-1|+1|-1|+1|-2
Mace|+1|-1|+1|-1|+1|-1|-1
Epée|-1|+1|+2|-2|+1|-1|+2
Spear|+2|-1|+1|+1|0|-1|-1
Bow|0|+3|0|-1|-2|+1|+1
Kung-Fu|+2|-3|+1|+3|-2|-1|-1[/table]

Learning Types:
In addition to the stat changes, each weapon is associated with a “learning type,” which is basically a list of special techniques that are easier to learn for characters of that type. Generally, a learning type will give most or all of the techs for its associated weapons, and a few from other, generally related weapons. For instance, the axe type has almost all the axe techniques and a fair amount of mace techniques on its list. The biggest exception to this is spear and epée types; despite using the same weapon skill, spear type has almost no epée techs and vice-versa. Again, you can learn techniques that aren't on your list, but it takes forever. Also, there are a few “special” types that only certain characters get when they choose specific weapons. Known as Type 9, Type 10, and Type 11, they're generally better than the types they replace, and sometimes even the types they don't. Type 9 replaces the “big sword” type for Harid and Katrina; type 10 replaces the spear type for Harid, Katrina and Julian; type 11 replaces epée for Ellen and Sara. Since I don't recall where to find an English chart for this, and it's pretty confusing, just trust me if I pick something weird; it's probably because that gives better stats and/or techs for the weapon you guys picked than actually picking that weapon.

Every potential main character except Katrina (who, just to be extra clear, is only playable as a main character) can still be in the party even if they aren't our main character. Also, I don't believe Mikhail and Monica can be in the same party under any circumstances.

Mikhail's ruling mini-game isn't bad, but it sounds cooler than it is, in my opinion; it relies a lot on the game's "mass battle" mini-game, which isn't as interesting as it could be.

While customization options should make everyone better as a main character than as a recruit, Thomas has always been a fine recruit, but he's never served me well as a main character. I don't know it's a weird curse or confirmation bias or what.

Anyhow, vote away! Feel free to vote on as much or as little as you want. I was mostly thinking people would vote on characters and weapons, but I gave info on jobs in case people were interested, so feel free to vote on that, if you'd like.

T.G. Oskar
2012-11-25, 11:48 PM
I'm really, really, really tempted to vote for Sara(h) out of spite, but it's worth it. You've pretty much mentioned why she must be the main character (seriously, if you don't know ANYTHING about the game or hate spoilers, don't read it):

She's a survivor of the Death Eclipse. The first survivor is the legendary Devil King that ruled the world with the four Devil Lords, the second survivor is the legendary Holy King that stopped said Devil King. Thus, she's destined for legend.

Also, the unique thing she gets is awesome, so there!

I'd give, though, a "no-vote" for Julian if only because he's pretty much the one character people will choose for default (much like Albert in RS1, Red in SaGa Frontier and Kurt in Unlimited Saga), despite his longer storyline. I like him as a character, but i've already known everything about him.

There's a few things I must ask, though (all in spoilers):
1) Will or won't save Black?
2) Prayer of Death or Prayer of Life? (I definitely won't answer until later, if anyone is curious)
3) Easy battle or hard battle against Aunas?
4) Will use main + Gwayne or full party against Byunei?
5) Four Noble Devils I or II? (that is, which song you prefer?)

Zrak
2012-11-26, 12:14 AM
With regard to Sara (and with definite spoilers)
I might be misremembering how much of the game I actually have to play through in commander mode. Is it everything from the fourth gate until the end, or just the last battle with the "special" commander mode? I thought it was everything after the last abyss gate, but if it's just the last battle, I would have much fewer reservations about Sara(h).

I was gonna leave pretty much all of that up to a vote except
Heavily advocate Gwayne-riding for Byuunei, if only to open up the fight against Gwayne afterwards. Oh, and Four Noble Devils II narrowly edges out Four Noble Devils I, for me, just because of groovy bass that occasionally comes out in II.

Oh, yeah, and the main character can be named, so feel free to suggest names for him or her.

T.G. Oskar
2012-11-26, 12:31 AM
With regard to Sara (and with definite spoilers)
I might be misremembering how much of the game I actually have to play through in commander mode. Is it everything from the fourth gate until the end, or just the last battle with the "special" commander mode? I thought it was everything after the last abyss gate, but if it's just the last battle, I would have much fewer reservations about Sara(h).

Far as I can remember, it's the last battle. The final dungeon is done with Shonen, IIRC.

You can play in Commander mode (the normal one, that is), which can be used for the Multi-Techs and the spells that require four people to use.

I was gonna leave pretty much all of that up to a vote except
Oh, and Four Noble Devils II narrowly edges out Four Noble Devils I, for me, just because of groovy bass that occasionally comes out in II.

I definitely put Four Noble Devils I versus Four Noble Devils II by a landslide. Actually, if Squeenix did the same for RS3 as they did for RS1, I'd prefer having Four Noble Devils II as the battle for each separate battle with the Devil Lords, and Four Noble Devils I for the battle with their true forms.

Also, if for some reason you end up with Julian or Monica, please make the group different than Black, Paul, Leonid, Sharl and the remaining other. Else, you'd be playing the same group as I do...

Tono
2012-11-26, 08:53 AM
I kinda want to say Sara because for some reason I have never seen hers, but if you don't want to do it that much Ill just go through it and play her myself and vote for Monica because I don't like Mikhail.

Zrak
2012-11-26, 09:17 AM
Besides the LP spirit of vote however you want, I'd rather pick Sara(h) than Monica, to be honest.

Deme
2012-11-26, 09:46 AM
Hmmm....Since I don't know what sort of path Sarah has, and therefore they're all equally distinct and new to me...
I'll buck the trend and vote Mikhail (I'm cool with anything, but in case someone else wants not-Sarah and wants an opinion to ride, or something). I like fiefdom-managament stuff, so seeing this could be neat. But it's about all the same to me.

Pink
2012-11-26, 12:11 PM
Good choice for a LP, solid game, though I personally get addicted to the merchant mini-game everytime I play. Must own everything! Send fullbright penniless into the gutter. Overthrow the economy with a monopoly on everything!

I'll vote for Harid first, Katrina second. I love them because they always seem like they have the most individual stories, to me at least, out of the cast choices.

T.G. Oskar
2012-11-26, 02:54 PM
Oh, there's something that I have to say, but it has to be spoilered. More spoilers ahoy!!

Try to remember this when the moment where this choice applies
Prayer of Death or Prayer of Life?
If you choose to vote for the Prayer of Life, you need to get Tiberius, IIRC, in the party so that he may do it. MAAAAAANY people doesn't know that, and thus miss on the patch-added secret section.

This is a HUGE spoiler, so please don't read unless you've done the Prayer of Life quest:
I still haven't gotten to Shinon post-introduction. Always choose Prayer of Death for the Bow of Death, and because I pretty much never choose Tiberius. Probably will do on an all-mages party.

Sanguine
2012-11-26, 10:20 PM
I know nothing about this game. With that in mind I say go with Harid he sounds cool. Alternately, Thomas would also be good as the the merchant minigame sounds fun.

Pink
2012-11-26, 10:38 PM
I know nothing about this game. With that in mind I say go with Harid he sounds cool. Alternately, Thomas would also be good as the the merchant minigame sounds fun.

The merchant game is available to all, Thomas just gets it a bit earlier or a slight bonus or something to it I think.

Zrak
2012-11-27, 03:41 AM
Yeah, you only have to have Thomas in the party to start the game, as I recall. I would probably only play as Thomas if I couldn't ruin Fullbright without being Thomas.

So, if my count is right, Sara and Harid are tied with two votes each, while Mikhail has one vote. Katrina and Monica have, like, a half vote or something for being second choices, and Julian trails the pack at negative one. I'd like to get started pretty soon, but we've got a tie, so I'll wait for a little bit and, if nobody's a clear victor, I'll just roll 1d2 or something.

Comet
2012-11-27, 03:48 AM
I never got too far with the Tornado, but I really liked the beginning. So I'll go ahead and give my vote to Harid and his sword.

Zrak
2012-11-27, 07:30 PM
Well, it looks like Harid is our winner. Thanks to the translation patch, we can name him at any time, so I'm gonna go ahead and get started and rename him whenever we come up with something good.

Currently, I have Harid as fighter/spear, which gives him great stats and most techs for swords, big swords, and spears. I can always change him if people would rather see a different weapon, though keep in mind there are plenty of recruits, so we'll get to see most/every weapon in action.

General Introduction:

http://s8.postimage.org/tjl36c8ed/RSAGA3_00001.png http://s8.postimage.org/a0l3apz0l/RSAGA3_00003.png
I really don't know what else anyone expected from a guy called The Devil King.
http://s7.postimage.org/rbwwr692j/RSAGA3_00005.png http://s12.postimage.org/4a7q5qo4t/RSAGA3_00006.png
Unless Sara looks a lot older than she is, "around 10" is a very loose figure.
Also, look at all that fancy swag swirling around the Holy King. Someday, that will be our swag.

Harid's Prologue

We begin with our intrepid swordsman having wondered his way into the small frontier settlement of Shinon. . . and into easy money destiny!
http://s9.postimage.org/kh6rgld2n/RSAGA3_00001.png http://s7.postimage.org/6np2ky92j/RSAGA3_00004.png
He can tell because none of these uncultured pioneers appreciate good moonshine.
http://s15.postimage.org/ykytfj48r/RSAGA3_00005.png http://s18.postimage.org/tz0v1ma3t/RSAGA3_00003.png
"What? Never seen me settling arround? Must be the local dialect."
http://s14.postimage.org/4w36kpzup/RSAGA3_00006.png http://s12.postimage.org/5irgx07n1/RSAGA3_00008.png
His question about the Naj Desert sent us into flashback town, if it wasn't clear.
http://s13.postimage.org/t8p4t072v/RSAGA3_00009.png http://s8.postimage.org/9j01p3m2t/RSAGA3_00010.png
The concept of "jinxing it" never made it to Naj.
http://s7.postimage.org/dlp1wiyqz/RSAGA3_00012.png http://s10.postimage.org/9wihsirnd/RSAGA3_00001.png
No-name's bodyguard crush is adorable. What could go wrong?
http://s7.postimage.org/r7prp2gdn/RSAGA3_00014.png http://s7.postimage.org/c9by8dqp7/RSAGA3_00005.png
"If only I hadn't left, maybe there was something I could've done."
http://s7.postimage.org/xj45wywdn/RSAGA3_00002.png http://s18.postimage.org/vusp9w59l/RSAGA3_00003.png
Yeaaaah, that's pretty much what I've heard, too. /flex
http://s12.postimage.org/q29si5lf1/RSAGA3_00006.png http://s14.postimage.org/8muvuzdfl/RSAGA3_00007.png
This is how people made out, back before schmancy 3-D graphics.
http://s15.postimage.org/mlel040u3/RSAGA3_00008.png
"And that was the last time I saw her."

Back in the present, the Shinon settlers come in from patrol and, uh, "settle around" is the phrase, I guess.
http://s8.postimage.org/byjzqw41x/RSAGA3_00010.png http://s12.postimage.org/i24ol5j8t/RSAGA3_00012.png
Well, well. Julian fancies himself quite the little charmer.
http://s17.postimage.org/yqt7ws3y7/RSAGA3_00013.png http://s7.postimage.org/jjpjkwui3/RSAGA3_00014.png
Ellen learned the special technique "Shoot Down"
http://s16.postimage.org/8qzl3c2yt/RSAGA3_00015.png http://s13.postimage.org/srqlkpw47/RSAGA3_00001.png
Technique mastered! Also, "bride games"? Meanwhile, who's this?
http://s8.postimage.org/ege4h4hhh/RSAGA3_00002.png http://s7.postimage.org/dce5kqyqz/RSAGA3_00003.png
Julian bounces back pretty quickly.
http://s9.postimage.org/x49pe5y7j/RSAGA3_00004.png http://s7.postimage.org/4nvlr28h7/RSAGA3_00005.png
"I wouldn't mess around with princesses, kid." Also, a plot hook.

Like any David Bowie look-alike with a schoolboy crush, Julian immediately volunteers to escort Monica to Loanne, out of his "civic duty." Pretty much everyone else insists on coming along, except the nameless swordsman.
http://s7.postimage.org/4ru0l23cb/RSAGA3_00008.png http://s11.postimage.org/nelpu077n/RSAGA3_00009.png http://s17.postimage.org/goiioj1mn/RSAGA3_00010.png
Ignoring Ellen asking if his saber was "just for decoration," No-name breaks it down.
http://s11.postimage.org/eoomt5pqb/RSAGA3_00011.png http://s10.postimage.org/9rf7281a1/RSAGA3_00012.png http://s15.postimage.org/fjufj51dn/RSAGA3_00013.png
"Without my princess, all I care about is coin for the next drink." His greed counter starts out really high for a reason.
http://s8.postimage.org/e1qa46vet/RSAGA3_00014.png http://s9.postimage.org/n07nw5u9b/RSAGA3_00015.png http://s18.postimage.org/an71mag15/RSAGA3_00016.png
"I'll ride it to the next tavern and trade it for a bottle. Good enough, old man."
http://s9.postimage.org/sscdh1tgv/RSAGA3_00017.png http://s17.postimage.org/al0y4mbcv/RSAGA3_00018.pnghttp://s14.postimage.org/l2ngucybl/RSAGA3_00019.png
Kamsheen? The sword of the legendary Tornado? That settled, they head out:

http://s17.postimage.org/dujyotou7/RSAGA3_00020.png
With that cryptic/nonsensical advice, the opening scenes are over and the real game begins!

So, now that we've seen No-name's backstory, the first plot hook, and our first few goofy translation errors ("Guard Monica tightly" is a fan favorite), we're ready to begin. I'll give a little time for people to submit names and to object to the weapon choice before I go on.

T.G. Oskar
2012-11-27, 07:59 PM
Darn it! We got the greedy chump as the main character!

What would be a suitable punishment...

A-ha!! Wood/Ward must be one of the main party members. That'll do...ehehehehe...

Pink
2012-11-27, 08:03 PM
I vote for keeping Harid's name as is, but I'm one of those boring people that use suggested names. I see no problem with the weapon specialization, it's true that there are plenty of other party members to demonstrate other weapons with.

Ooh. Requiring Wood as a party member for Harid, cruel :P let's hope Zrak can keep the greed counter low.

T.G. Oskar
2012-11-28, 05:42 AM
Ooh. Requiring Wood as a party member for Harid, cruel :P let's hope Seam can keep the greed counter low.

Well, that's the whole idea. Then again, Wood/Ward is pretty good, as he's built to last, is one of the few characters innately proficient with Big Swords, and most important of all, he's gained pretty early, so you can build him as you desire.

I tend to keep people with the weapons they come in (for example, Nora with Staff and Spear, Sharl with Spear and Sword, Poet with Staff, etc.), except for a few: I always make Julian, when a MC, get Big Sword and then sub Sword, Sun magic and whatever I find is missing (generally Earth magic), and Ellen who gets Axes even if she's great with Kungfu. Leonid also gets Kungfu, plus Epees but mostly Ni(gh)tingale.

In case you need an innate Big Sword user besides Wood/Ward, there's also Zo the Elephant, so that can be left to votes, but it's nonetheless a pretty brutal and cruel challenge, considering Harid starts with the highest greed counter. Then again...he gets the improved Kamsheen, so...

Zrak
2012-11-29, 05:22 PM
I've gotten pretty good at keeping my greed counter low, at this point, so Wood shouldn't be a problem. Since it looks like fighter/spear is okay with everyone, I'll get to the rest of the prologue later today.

theMycon
2012-12-14, 11:11 PM
I'm interested but too lazy to play the game myself, so...

Bump?