PDA

View Full Version : The Thesauruthurge (D&D 3.5) [PEACH] (Vanilla truenaming PRC)

Derjuin
2012-11-25, 04:38 AM
THESAURUTHURGE

The Word is law. I am the Word. Therefore, I am the law.

Thesauruthurges are Truenamers with great control over the syntax of Truespeech, and can alter how Truespeech works to a certain extent.

BECOMING A THESAURUTHUGE
Thesauruthurges are typically Truenamers who delve far too deep into the realm of the Words of Creation, becoming enamored with its linguistic nuances and intricacies.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Skills: Truespeak 9 ranks, Perform (Oratory) 9 ranks, Forgery 3 ranks
Utterances: Must be capable of using 3rd-level Utterances of the Lexicon of the Evolving Mind
Feats: Truename Research
Alignment: Any lawful.

Class Skills
The Thesauruthurge's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Forgery (int), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Perform (oratory) (Cha), Truespeak (Int), Use Magic Device (Cha).
Skills Points at Each Level: 4 + int

Hit Dice: d6

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Utterances Known

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Seek the Scrolls, Eidetic Memory|-

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Author of Fate (Reexamine Fate)|+1 Level of Previous Truenaming Class

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|Rewrite the Word|-

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Author of Fate (Recall Fate)|+1 Level of Previous Truenaming Class

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Transliterate, Improved Eidetic Memory|-

6th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|Author of Fate (Warp Reality)|+1 Level of Previous Truenaming Class

7th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|Editor of Fate|-

8th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+6|Author of Fate (Rewrite Reality)|+1 Level of Previous Truenaming Class

9th|
+4|
+3|
+3|
+6|Weave the Word|-

10th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7|The Word is Law|+1 Level of Previous Truenaming Class[/table]

Weapon Proficiencies: A Thesauruthurge does not gain any weapon or armor proficiencies.

Seek the Scrolls (Su): At 1st level, a Thesauruthurge discovers the Scrolls of Fate, an impossibly long manuscript detailing every event that has ever happened and will ever happen. It stretches into infinity, making researching it directly impossible. However, even beginner Thesauruthurges can use their knowledge of Truespeaking to find a reference point and garner some useful information from the Scroll. By concentrating for a time, the Thesauruthurge can gain bonuses based on how long he studies the manuscript. These bonuses stack with each other - thus, studying the Scrolls for 1 hour grants all three benefits. The Thesauruthurge can Seek the Scrolls for 1 round any number of times per day. He may only Seek the Scrolls for 1 minute once per day per Thesauruthurge level, and may only Seek the Scrolls for 1 hour once per day regardless of level.

{table=head]Duration of study|Bonus
1 round|+2 Insight bonus on a single skill check made within the next minute.
1 minute|Can take 10 on any single skill check (even if threatened or distracted) made within the next hour.
1 hour|Benefit of the Moment of Prescience spell. Can only be done once per day.[/table]

Eidetic Memory (Ex): At 1st level, a Thesauruthurge's memory improves dramatically when researching Truenaming-related topics. He gains an Insight bonus to Knowledge checks to discover a creature's truename equal to his Thesaurthurge level.

Author of Fate (Su): At 2nd level, a Thesauruthurge can exert his will in minor ways on the Scrolls of Fate by working the Words of Creation to his benefit. He gains several benefits as he gains further levels as a Thesauruthurge, and can even rewrite portions of the scrolls later on.

No, I assure you, this is exactly how it went. If you see it any other way, then I can only assume you are reading it wrong.

Reexamine Fate: Whenever fate makes itself uncertain, the Thesauruthurge can force scrutiny and cause fate to follow his way. As an immediate action, the Thesauruthurge can attempt a DC 20 Truespeak check. If he succeeds, he may choose the result of any die that has been rerolled (such as through a spell or the Blind-Fight feat). This result is not considered a natural roll, so if he chooses 1, it is not auto-fail, and if he chooses 20, it is not auto-succeed. This check follows the Law of Resistance - each time he attempts this check in a day (whether or not he succeeds), the DC increases by 2 for each other time he has used it that day. For example, if the Thesauruthurge has reexamined fate 3 times in a day, his fourth attempt would have a DC of 26.

Let's see...based on these circumstances, we can extrapolate that...hmm, yes, indeed. Quite...

Recall Fate: A Thesauruthurge of at least 4th level can attempt to read back through the Scrolls of Fate to recall information about a certain creature. By concentrating for 1 minute, the Thesauruthurge can peer back through time at the Scrolls of Fate during an earlier time. Succeeding on a DC 25 Truespeak check allows the Thesauruthurge to find an instance of that creature's truename in the Scrolls that matches its behavior, and allows him to quickly view up to 1 year of the creature's past. Only major events are covered - kills, marriages, important appointments, etc. If later you attempt to research the creature's personal truename, you gain a bonus as if you had used the Legend Lore spell on it.

Really? An evil outsider from the Abyss? You don't say. Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad - or perhaps, good, news - but that demon is most definitely not evil.

Warp Reality: A Thesauruthurge of at least 6th level can attempt to manipulate a creature's truename and change it fundamentally. As a standard action, he may attempt a DC (15 + the creature's CR) Truespeak check to manipulate it. If he does, he may change any one of its subtypes to another. For example, a Thesauruthurge can change the subtype of a Succubus from [Evil] to [Good], or the subtype of a Fire Elemental from [Fire] to [Earth]. While the creature changes, it still retains all of its normal abilities (EX, Su, SLA, etc) as long as they are not derived from its subtype. This effect is difficult to perform, and each time the Thesauruthurge performs it in a day, the Law of Resistance is incurred doubly (each time afterwards, the DC increases by +4 instead of +2).

Oh, no, no, no. The Cave of Death and Doom was not inhabited by a great wyrm red dragon named Aarindarytes! It was...in fact...a RABBIT.

Rewrite Reality: A Thesauruthurge of at least 8th level can quickly modify the Scrolls of Fate, changing minor details without so much as a hint of something having gone differently. As a standard action, the Thesauruthurge can attempt a DC 30 Truespeak check against a single creature within 60 feet. If he succeeds, the creature is affected as if by a Polymorph any Object spell. Each time the Thesauruthurge performs this function of Author of Fate, he incurs the Law of Resistance and the Law of Sequence - only one object or creature can be polymorphed at once, and each further attempt has its DC increased by +2 for each successful use that day. Unlike the spell, Rewrite Reality cannot transfix a creature's form for more than 1 week.

Rewrite the Word (Su): Beginning at 3rd level, a Thesauruthurge can use his extensive knowledge of the Words of Creation to slightly alter or substitute similar truenames to manipulate the Laws. He may attempt a Forgery check before using an Utterance or ability that requires a Truespeak check and incurs the Law of Resistance or the Law of Sequence. The DC to avoid the Law of Resistance is 20 + the level of the Utterance or the Truespeak DC of the ability +2; the DC to avoid the Law of Sequence is 15 + 2x the level of the Utterance or the Truespeak DC of the ability +1. This ability can be used once per day for every 2 Thesauruthurge levels you have, up to 5/day at level 10.

Transliterate (Su): Beginning at 5th level, a Thesauruthurge can forcibly mangle a creature's truename into one that is easier to pronounce. As a swift action, the Thesauruthurge may attempt a Forgery check with a DC equal to 10 + the creature's CR. If you succeed, for 1 round per Thesauruthurge level, you gain a +2 bonus to Truespeak checks to speak the creature's truename and are treated as if speaking their personal truename. After the creature's truename reverts, it cannot have its truename forcibly changed again for 1 day.

Improved Eidetic Memory (Ex): A Thesauruthurge of 5th level or higher has increased opportunities to remember flashes of the Scrolls of Fate. He is always considered to have access to a major library for the purposes of the cost of researching a name (3/4s with the Truename Research feat). In addition, each week he may attempt a DC 15 + (2x creature's CR) or 15 + (2x creature's HD) Truespeak check. If he succeeds, the Scrolls of Fate unwind directly to an event related to the creature in question in his mind, filling him with knowledge - this reduces the required time to make the Knowledge check to discover a truename to 1 day for that check.

Editor of Fate (Su): Beginning at 7th level, a Thesauruthurge may erase and rewrite larger portions of the Scrolls of Fate, centered on his location within the Scrolls. As an immediate action, the Thesauruthurge can attempt a DC 30 Truespeak check. If you succeed, you may force the last turn to be erased and replayed, as if nothing had happened. If you beat the DC by 5 or more, all allies that perform actions similar to those that were erased (for example, using the same Tome of Battle maneuver or casting the same spell) gain a +2 Insight bonus to all rolls they perform in the turn.

In addition, the Thesauruthurge gains an Insight bonus to all Forgery checks equal to one-half his Thesauruthurge levels (rounded down).

Weave the Word (Su): Beginning at 9th level, a Thesauruthurge can manipulate the magical energies that hold spells together. As an immediate action, the Thesauruthurge can attempt a DC 35 Truespeak check. If you succeed, you can change the spell that is being cast before its effects occur. Because of the broad application of the Words of Creation to magic, one does not need to know what spell is being cast to change it - though you become aware of which spell it is when you successfully alter it. You may make two of the following changes to the spell:

Empower or Maximize it, as if by the Empower Spell or Maximize Spell feat (choose only one)
Redirect it to affect a different creature (the new creature must be a valid target for the spell)
Change the allowed creature type or alignment restriction on the spell (for example, a Holy Word can be changed to affect all Non-evils, and Charm Person can be changed to affect Aberrations instead of Humanoids)*
Change the subtype or damage type of the spell**
Remove a single metamagic feat from the spell without changing its adjusted spell level
Increase or decrease its save DC by 2

*You can't increase or decrease the number of valid creature types or alignments on the spell; for example, you can't make Holy Word affect all Non-Evil, Non-Neutral creatures, and you can't make Charm Person affect both Humanoids and Aberrations.

**Spells still deal their original damage type if you switch its subtype to a subtype that isn't related to damage types (for example, if you switch Fireball to an Evocation [Mind-affecting] spell, it still deals fire damage). If you change the spell's subtype from one damage type to another (in the example above, changing Fireball to an Evocation (Cold) spell) it deals damage according to its new subtype. If you remove a subtype that normally determines whether or not a creature is affected by the spell (such as giving Charm Monster the [Fire] subtype instead of the [Mind-Affecting] subtype), it affects creatures as if it didn't have the original subtype (and thus can target, for example, Undead with a Charm Monster that has the [Fire] subtype).

The Word is Law (Su): A master Thesauruthurge who has reached 10th level can duplicate the effects of a Wish spell simply by speaking the correct truespeech phrase. As a standard action, the Thesauruthurge can attempt a DC 40 Truespeak check. If you succeed, you cast Wish as a spell-like ability; however, you cannot create more powerful effects (as mentioned in Wish's description). If you duplicate a spell with an expensive material component worth more than 10,000 gp, you must provide the component. Likewise, if you duplicate a spell with an XP cost, you must pay the cost plus 5,000 XP. Each use of The Word is Law incurs the Law of Resistance.

================================================== =========

EDIT LOG:

Rewrite Reality now cannot cause any polymorphed object or creature to stay in its new form for more than 1 week. Conditions that would normally cause it to last longer instead cause it to last for 1 week.
The Word is Law now requires the standard 5,000 XP cost from Wish. It cannot duplicate Miracle anymore.
Magic items can be created with The Word is Law, but they have the same requirements for creation as a standard Wish.
Reexamine Fate now allows the Thesauruthurge to choose the result of the die, not determine automatic success or failure, though the new result isn't actually considered a natural roll - so automatic success and failure don't occur even if you pick 1 or 20.
Only 5 levels grant improved Utterances, instead of 7.

Slii Arhem
2012-11-25, 02:46 PM
Okay, firstly, I love the idea of using Forgery to influence Truenaming, and the fluff at the beginning made me laugh quite a bit, but there are some obvious things off about this class.

For one thing, some of the abilities such as the Author of Fate ability seem pretty massively powerful. Being able to know the last 10 years of a creature's history, change their subtypes (which there isn't really much in the way of rules for as far as I know. What happens when you've got a succubus who's got the Good subtype but still has an Evil alignment?) and effectively use Polymorph Any Object on them as you please is a bit out there in terms of gamewrecking potential, even though all those effects fit nicely within the boundaries of the class' flavor. It's the kind of thing I love as a concept build and don't really think would be useable in any game I'd ever play. The Word is Law effect means that no Thesauruthurge is going to have less than a +5 in every stat a few days after they get it, on top of all the other potential for abuse that Wish provides, but that much was obvious.

So to reiterate, great concept class, but I'd never use it as it stands now if I was looking for a Truenamer PrC. Just too much power balanced only by losing out on some of the higher Utterances and some moderately high Truespeak DCs. Great effort at it though.

sreservoir
2012-11-25, 03:41 PM
automatic success/fail is ... problematic. suppose, for instance, you've rerolled craft for something at, say, +99990 DC to increase progress to 2^49995× the usual rate. well, now that automatically succeeds, and it doesn't actually matter what your check was because there's not much which is that expensive.

it's also slightly fluff-incongruous that you can make the impossible automatically succeed and the certain automatically fail if it's been rerolled. perhaps just let you choose the natural roll or ... something. alternatively, choose the result, but it doesn't count as a natural such roll. automatic success/failure has too many strange interactions for this sort of thing, though.

Derjuin
2012-11-27, 10:40 AM
Okay, firstly, I love the idea of using Forgery to influence Truenaming, and the fluff at the beginning made me laugh quite a bit, but there are some obvious things off about this class.

For one thing, some of the abilities such as the Author of Fate ability seem pretty massively powerful. Being able to know the last 10 years of a creature's history, change their subtypes (which there isn't really much in the way of rules for as far as I know. What happens when you've got a succubus who's got the Good subtype but still has an Evil alignment?) and effectively use Polymorph Any Object on them as you please is a bit out there in terms of gamewrecking potential, even though all those effects fit nicely within the boundaries of the class' flavor. It's the kind of thing I love as a concept build and don't really think would be useable in any game I'd ever play. The Word is Law effect means that no Thesauruthurge is going to have less than a +5 in every stat a few days after they get it, on top of all the other potential for abuse that Wish provides, but that much was obvious.

So to reiterate, great concept class, but I'd never use it as it stands now if I was looking for a Truenamer PrC. Just too much power balanced only by losing out on some of the higher Utterances and some moderately high Truespeak DCs. Great effort at it though.

Regarding changing subtypes - I would assume that, since there aren't any rules for it, the Succubus would remain Evil aligned, but would be affected by abilities that affect creatures with the Good subtype instead of Evil. If per-day limits were added to the PaO and Wish abilities, would they be any less insane, or is it the fact that they have access to PaO and Wish that's a problem?

(Just pointing out, too - vanilla Truenamer gets XP-less Gate at level 20. I was balancing obtaining PaO and Wish with losing XP-less Gate. Perhaps placing the XP cost back on Wish will make it better?)

automatic success/fail is ... problematic. suppose, for instance, you've rerolled craft for something at, say, +99990 DC to increase progress to 2^49995× the usual rate. well, now that automatically succeeds, and it doesn't actually matter what your check was because there's not much which is that expensive.

it's also slightly fluff-incongruous that you can make the impossible automatically succeed and the certain automatically fail if it's been rerolled. perhaps just let you choose the natural roll or ... something. alternatively, choose the result, but it doesn't count as a natural such roll. automatic success/failure has too many strange interactions for this sort of thing, though.

That's a very good point; thanks for pointing that out. I hadn't even thought about Craft shenanigans.

Shazek
2012-11-27, 05:16 PM
Regarding changing subtypes - I would assume that, since there aren't any rules for it, the Succubus would remain Evil aligned, but would be affected by abilities that affect creatures with the Good subtype instead of Evil. If per-day limits were added to the PaO and Wish abilities, would they be any less insane, or is it the fact that they have access to PaO and Wish that's a problem?

(Just pointing out, too - vanilla Truenamer gets XP-less Gate at level 20. I was balancing obtaining PaO and Wish with losing XP-less Gate. Perhaps placing the XP cost back on Wish will make it better?)

That's a very good point; thanks for pointing that out. I hadn't even thought about Craft shenanigans.

Getting rid of Miracle and making the Wish effect require the full XP cost, in my opinion, makes The Word is Law worthless. Very rarely does a Wizard cast Wish without some way of negating the cost, since 5000 XP is absolutely enormous. I'd say it'd be better if you made it XP-less and removed the ability to create items of any sort. Also remove the Inherent Bonus ability, since it would badly break WBL. That leaves it with teleportation, healing, rerolls, resurrection, and Anyspell-type power. None of this is not possessed by a cleric of similar level, assuming a minimal bit of optimization. PaO isn't too bad, since it doesn't allow for permanent effects, but maybe it should allow a save or SR. A DC 30 check is rather easy, after all.

I really like the class conceptually, and the power level, while high, isn't necessarily brokenly so.