PDA

View Full Version : So, got a job...

fergo
2012-11-25, 07:39 AM
Right.

So I'm a third-year student (on a four year course) and I've been looking for a job for ages. I've never had a job before, so the places willing to take me on are limited.

I'm a member of my uni's Ale and Cider Society and have volunteered at a couple of CAMRA (the Campaign for Real Ale) festivals so I have a little bit of experience in that area, as well as knowledge of local breweries and beer.

Back in September I had a trial shift at a local pub. I had been really looking forward to it, but in the event I found it really stressful. I wasn't given any training and was put on on a Friday night. It was kind of fun, but I messed up quite a bit as well and got in people's way. And, in the end, I didn't get the job.

Part of the issue was that the pub had a large selection of spirits and liquers, most of which I was unfamiliar with. So if someone asked for something, I had to scan the shelves to see if they had it.

Anyways, I don't mean to whine; in the end, I wasn't up to their standards, and that's fair enough.

So now I've been given a job* at another pub. But instead of working behind the bar, I'd be in the cellar, looking after the ales. It'd also be pretty autonomous, as far as I can tell; the whole point is that the cellar manager needs someone to handle this particular part of the cellar.

The hours are great, it's a great pub and the people seem friendly. And best of all, I'd be dealing with beers that I love, get loads of really useful experience, and might even get involved in choosing which beers to get next, which would be really good fun.

So in some ways, it seems like the perfect job.

On the other hand, there are a few downsides.

Firstly, there's a lot of manual work. Don't get me wrong, I'll give it 110%, but I fear my natural talents don't lie that way. Lifting several gallons of beer regularly may not be possible (on the other hand, it'd be a great way to get fit).

Secondly, I don't know all that much about beer. Sure, I know what I like, I know the differences between the most common types, and I have a better understanding that most of the local breweries; but perhaps not enough for the job.

Thirdly, I have no cellar experienced. Which you'd think would be a pretty big downside. I don't know how to tap casks, I don't know how the extraction equipment works**, I barely know anything that I think will be relevant.

And the thing is, if I mess up and run a cask or two, I could be costing the pub hundreds of pounds. I'm worried there won't be much of a learning curve... :smallannoyed:

On the other hand, I guess I may as well go along and give it my best shot :smallbiggrin:. If I'm lucky enough to get through the first few weeks and pick up the skills I need, it would be a fantastic job :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:.

Has anyone else been in the same situation, getting a job you're worried you don't have the experience for? Or anyone had any experience handling casks of beer and might want to give me a few tips?

Thanks guys :smallbiggrin:

* Well, I'm waiting on them to call me back to give me my first shift, but everyone's acting as if I've already got it.

** Eh, I do have a bit of experience from the festivals I've helped at in a certain type of equipment, so if they use the same stuff, I might not be completely lost.

Morph Bark
2012-11-25, 07:44 AM
All jobs I've had I went in to with no prior experience relevant to that particular job. Most of what you need for a job you learn there in your first few weeks, unless your boss doesn't tell you everything (I was consistently left out of the loop on updates on how our system worked at the mail office).

Blisstake
2012-11-25, 08:00 AM
Oh man, I was absolutely nervous over my first job. I had no previous job experience, and I'm pretty sure I only got the job because my dad's a bigshot with the company. It was also totally out of my specialty: human resources. Not just out of my specialty in terms of what I was studying at school, but the fact that I am not a people person.

I had to learn how to operate a completely foreign computer system, verse myself on insurance, retirement, and tax information, and regularly communicate with spanish-speaking employees (all my previous experience had been controlled classroom only, even though I'm fairly advanced in the language. Despite all that, I fell in love with the job, and it's still what I do today. Even though I'm still learning things about my job to this day (there's always something new), I was able to catch on quickly enough, and I've actualy improved many skills, especially social ones and my Spanish speaking.

So, I guess if my experience if any indication, give the job a few weeks before deciding anything. Nervousness is natural: just make sure to ask questions and give it your best until you kick the learning curve's ass. :smallsmile:

Rallicus
2012-11-25, 08:04 AM
I honestly think employers put you on alone when you're inexperienced and unprepared on purpose, to see how you handle under pressure. Same thing happened to me when I worked as a barista, and to make matters worse, it was during a holiday where seasonal coffees were in high demand. I guess I did well enough to warrant some compliments and keep my job (until being inevitably fired for... a good reason, which I won't detail here).

I digress. I wouldn't worry so much personally, your job seems straightforward enough. I have a friend who does something similar, including heavy lifting of kegs and beer cases, and he's the scrawniest person I know.

Scowling Dragon
2012-11-25, 08:18 AM
So here is my experience:

Ask for help. And not the kind of temporary help. Ask them to TEACH you what they wan't you to know as fast as you can. After that its smooth sailing.

The longer this is prolonged the bigger the fall is.

GolemsVoice
2012-11-25, 04:06 PM
Don't worry if you sometimes feel like a total idiot during your first weeks. That's natural, and comes from the fact that you, as a total beginner, are surrounded by people who have done this job for years. Let's hope your co-workers are nice enough, and you'll see, in a few weeks you'll be handling these things like you were born to do it.

However, never hesitate to ASK.

Aedilred
2012-11-25, 04:30 PM
Yeah, I'm inclined to echo the above sentiments. Anyone who goes into a job (at entry-level at least) thinking they know what they're doing is probably deluding themselves and more likely to screw up than someone who doesn't have a clue. So don't worry about that: just focus on getting up to speed asap.

It sounds like a kind of fun job, for a while at least. I wouldn't worry about the manual labour, either. While you probably don't want to be doing it forever and it doesn't always feel like a great use of your skills, there can be something quite satisfying about doing something straightforward and physical. It feels like more of an accomplishment, somehow, and, as you say, it's a good way to get (and keep) fit. Just make sure you don't overstretch yourself by lifting something too heavy for you, especially in the early days of the job.

Good luck!

fergo
2012-11-25, 04:36 PM
Thanks guys for helping me deal with the jitters :smallbiggrin:.

Karoht
2012-11-26, 02:43 PM
Firstly, there's a lot of manual work. Don't get me wrong, I'll give it 110%, but I fear my natural talents don't lie that way. Lifting several gallons of beer regularly may not be possible (on the other hand, it'd be a great way to get fit).I worked at a warehouse moving furniture around. Tip. Head to the gym, see where you are at. In my experience Cardio is going to be more important to you than lift strength, at least for the first few weeks.

Secondly, I don't know all that much about beer. Sure, I know what I like, I know the differences between the most common types, and I have a better understanding that most of the local breweries; but perhaps not enough for the job.Ah, the internet. So much better than those rocks and sticks we had before. You would be amazed at what you can find out about beer just from the internet. Check out the beer companies websites, find out how it's made, how it tastes, etc.
You can take a 'beer somalier' course. It basically means you're a pro beer taster. Works the same way with wines. It is about a 3-6 week course if I remember correctly.

Thirdly, I have no cellar experienced. Which you'd think would be a pretty big downside. I don't know how to tap casks, I don't know how the extraction equipment works**, I barely know anything that I think will be relevant.Internet.
Also, you're basically going to be managing stock. You basically want to just make sure there is enough beer in stock at all times, and order when it gets low. The key is knowing when there is 'enough' and what constitutes 'low' for each type of beer you serve. Busy weekend coming up with lots of sports and such on? You may want to keep triple the stock you normally would.

And the thing is, if I mess up and run a cask or two, I could be costing the pub hundreds of pounds. I'm worried there won't be much of a learning curve... :smallannoyed:Well, you are doing the right thing, asking for advice and researching before you start. Keep that up and you'll do fine. My advice is, look on the internet for instructional videos. Start with 'how to open a bottle of wine' and work from there. Heck, you can find entire bartending guides and step by step video's for the most complicated drinks out there. So I'm reasonably sure you can find such guides for tapping a keg, safe transportation of a keg, taking care of your stock, etc. Keep looking, you'll find it.

In the other hand, I guess I may as well go along and give it my best shot :smallbiggrin:. If I'm lucky enough to get through the first few weeks and pick up the skills I need, it would be a fantastic job :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:.You are extremely fortunate. This is a rare opportunity, my advice is start looking for anything to do with beer that you can find. Do you know what beers your pub carries? Learn everything you can about each one from the company websites. Ingredients, methods, culture, everything.

Or anyone had any experience handling casks of beer and might want to give me a few tips?Just from parties and the like.
Steel Toe boots are a must around heavy kegs, trust me. If the pub already doesn't require these, maybe suggest such a policy.
Gloves and grip are important. If you don't have a good grip you might as well not bother lifting it.
Lift with your knees, not your back. Avoid lifting where ever possible.
Use a dolly cart/hand truck when ever possible.
The biggest advice I can tell you regarding "hard work" is something I gleamed from Scrooge McDuck on Ducktails back in my youth.
"Work smarter, not harder."

Best of luck!

Traab
2012-11-26, 03:03 PM
What I would suggest is, when you are down there, during slow times, ask the cellar manager how to do those things you arent certain about. Also, practice the stuff you can, like learning to run the equipment. Perhaps you can practice learning to tap the kegs and whatnot by working with the empties. (I honestly dont know if thats possible, but I figured its worth mentioning) At least it would be enough to get the proper movements down. Also, as you mentioned not being a beer man, this is your best chance to learn. Just keep your eyes and ears open as you do your work, you would be surprised how much random important facts you can pick up by keeping your mouth shut and your ears open.

The most important thing I can suggest is to relax. You wont do a better job by being stressed out to the breaking point. And showing you can handle learning on the hop without freaking out will also help you keep the job when mistakes are made. It WILL happen, human error pretty much promises this. Just keep calm about it and roll with the punches. Either you will last, or you wont, either way you cant really control it, so dont worry, be happy. At worst you might pick up enough experience to get the same job elsewhere and learn even more.

warty goblin
2012-11-26, 04:56 PM
Also, you're working in food service now. This makes it likely that quite a number of the employees will be maladjusted for polite (or really any) society. Simply by being conscientious and making it clear you're trying to learn, you can get on the boss's good side in spite of screwing stuff up. And you will screw stuff up, which is part of the learning process and something your new employer probably knows already.

Also, because you are working for food service professionals, you will learn things you never wanted to know, mostly about your fellow employee's sex lives. Just accept this and try to avoid mentioning the worst stuff to other people. Just think of it as your opportunity to indulge your rabidly anti-social side, then bottle it right back up as soon as you leave.

Mauve Shirt
2012-11-26, 05:18 PM
Psh, I don't have enough experience to do my job and I've been there a year! At least, it always feels that way. :smalltongue: I barely knew anything that I needed when I was hired and now I'm an expert. You'll learn as you go. And when in doubt, Internet.