PDA

View Full Version : Machine gun assassin build

Ghaele
2012-11-25, 09:42 AM
Hey giants,

I got this build of the wiki. I was wondering what you guys thought of it. I was thinking of playing it in a campaign.

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Machine_Gun_Assassin_(3.5e_Optimized_Character_Bui ld)

GnomeGninjas
2012-11-25, 11:36 AM
The page you linked to says:

There is currently no text in this page. You can search for this page title in other pages, search the related logs, or edit this page. :smallconfused:

eggs
2012-11-25, 11:58 AM
You can stick the last parenthesis into the url to correct it. Something between dandwiki and this forum makes that happen to just about every link there.

The build's just a Ninja/Master Thrower. It would improve in just about every way by swapping the Ninja levels out for something like Rogue 3/Monk 2/Assassin 9/Unseen Seer 1.

Ghaele
2012-11-25, 12:35 PM
You can stick the last parenthesis into the url to correct it. Something between dandwiki and this forum makes that happen to just about every link there.

The build's just a Ninja/Master Thrower. It would improve in just about every way by swapping the Ninja levels out for something like Rogue 3/Monk 2/Assassin 9/Unseen Seer 1.

I thought assassins were evil though.

GnomeGninjas
2012-11-25, 01:33 PM
I thought assassins were evil though.

Is evil not allowed? If so The Avenger (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070401a)!

Ghaele
2012-11-25, 01:42 PM
Chaotic neutral would be the most I could go.

Ghaele
2012-11-25, 01:46 PM
What's the diffrence between a avenger and a assassin?

GnomeGninjas
2012-11-25, 02:12 PM
What's the diffrence between a avenger and a assassin?

Different alignment requirements.

herrhauptmann
2012-11-25, 11:08 PM
Different alignment requirements.

I think some spells are slightly different too. Mostly an inversion of good/evil spells.

Regarding the build. Why Weapon Focus? If it's not a prereq, it should be dropped.
There's a way, probably in Dragon Mag, that lets you get AOOs as a ranged attack within 10 or 15ft.
That'll let you launch more often, and the first time will probably really surprise your opponents/DM who won't be expecting an AOO from a ranged warrior.

I know it works for melee, but should also work for ranged, take doublehit. When someone provokes an AOO, you hit them with your main weapon and off hand weapon at the same time.
After that, improved/greater combat reflexes lets you use iteratives on your AOOs at the cost of additional AOO attempts.

So potentially 6 attacks on someone just because they tried to move past you or cast a spell when they were 5/10/15 feet away from you.

The items need work.
You're hitting touch attacks right? No need to go up to +5 shurikens. Most monsters, even at high levels, don't have high touch ACs. Your 16 BAB will be more than enough.
Flaming+Frost+Acid+Shocking is useless. If the target has even minor resistance (resist 5), that corresponding element is pretty much negated. Also the cost is pretty prohibitive. Those shurikens are +10 cost, that's 200,000gold for a stack of 50. At 7 or 8 shuriken per full attack, you could be going through that almost every encounter (5 rounds per fight?). It's why high level archers enchant their bows first, then maybe a little something extra on their arrows: like five +1 dragon bane arrows, and a dozen +1 seeking arrows.

Also, the saves don't look right. Particularly for master thrower. Were those numbers adjusted to be inline with PrC saves by PF rules? Should have I think 5/9/5 from ninja 15, and 1/4/1 from Master thrower.

The writer wants the build to throw lots of d6 at the monster and hope it dies. Better to just have your +X shurikens, and take the Craven feat, which adds your level to your sneak attack (and sudden strike). This also multiplies on crits.
Really, find the rogue handbook: "Fistful of d6." At least some of the info in it will be applicable to this build.