PDA

View Full Version : Charm Person Question [Pathfinder]

Aasimar
2012-11-25, 01:33 PM
Most uses of Charm Person are combat oriented, or at least combat avoision oriented.

My question is, do people know they've been charmed after the fact?

Say I'm a travelling bard, and use charm person to make the innkeeper friendly to me, more amenable to give me a room or buy my services for his common room.

Once the duration is over and the spell ends, assuming I've only treated him as a friend, maybe taking advantage of his generous offer, but upholding my end of the bargains and not taking undue advantage, does he then

a) revert to whatever disposition he had before, perhaps wondering why he took such a liking to me.

b) stay nominally friendly, until given a reason to change his opinion again.

c) go 'Hey, you ensorcelled me you foul creature!' and turn unfriendly or even hostile.

Raven777
2012-11-25, 01:48 PM
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/charm-person

In absence of RAW or fluff giving any indication, I would say the creature's reaction once the spell ends is entirely up to the DM. However, the DM's decision should make sense in context.

I propose:

Option A by default.

Option B is right out. Infinite duration Charm is probably not intended to be how the spell works.

Option C if, upon the effect's end, the creature succeeds at a Perception or Knowledge Arcana check. Perception allows them to recall the strange gesture you made and interpret it as some weird magic shenanigan. They get pissed at you. Arcana allows them to recognize the effect they just went through for exactly what it was. They also get pissed at you.

Psyren
2012-11-25, 01:59 PM
I propose that since Charm Person (or Monster) has a somatic component, unless that component is removed though metamagic, the creature should get a Perception Check to remember your jedi mind trick gesture from earlier. If successful and the fact of having being charmed pisses him enough, option C ensues. If failed, either option A or B.

They would also need Spellcraft to recognize it for what it was, rather than you shooing away a fly or something.

Raven777
2012-11-25, 02:06 PM
They would also need Spellcraft to recognize it for what it was, rather than you shooing away a fly or something.

Innkeeper remembers being uncharacteristically friendly to you.
Innkeeper remembers your strange gesture.
Innkeeper puts 2 + 2 together and assumes you ensorcelled him in some way.
Never does he need to know what you actually cast.

Psyren
2012-11-25, 02:36 PM
Innkeeper remembers being uncharacteristically friendly to you.
Innkeeper remembers your strange gesture.
Innkeeper puts 2 + 2 together and assumes you ensorcelled him in some way.
Never does he need to know what you actually cast.

Again, that depends on the gesture itself. A somatic component is "a measured and precise movement of the hand." But that could also describe waving your hand from left to right once, a cutting motion, jerking your thumb behind you, fanning yourself a set number of times, or any other number of gestures that could actually be used in conversation. What does the somatic component for CP look like? That's a DM call - but it may not necessarily be something that sticks out in the innkeeper's mind. Even if he remembers it, he may feel just enough doubt about the whole situation to let things slide.

There's also the possibility of zapping him while he's not actually observing you. Walk into the inn and immediately cast while his back is turned. Or order a drink, and when he bends down to the ale cask, wiggle your fingers. Or use the Sleight of Hand skill usage (RoS) or even that one feat that lets you cast up your sleeve.

The point of all this is that stacking the deck against the innkeeper is (fortunately or unfortunately) possible.

Aasimar
2012-11-25, 03:09 PM
I'd say it also depends on how closely he examines his recollection of events.

If things turn out very well for him. (his business increases because of the bard he hired, or because he enjoyed the performance himself), he'd probably just pat himself on the back for seeing the opportunity when it came along.

If things turned out badly, he might try to figure out how he made such a mistake.