PDA

View Full Version : Newbie dm needs help with redhand of doom(runnin for only 1 pc)

Skrag Fellhand
2012-11-25, 03:37 PM
I have not been running games for very long(about 3 months/11 sessions), i use some published modules and homebrew, i only have 1 player in the area i live in, our current campaign involves a lot of goblins and hobgoblins, anyway i just finished red hand of doom and its great and would work great in the campaign, problem is as you know its meant for 4 pcs, i have read the guide you have here for scaling up if more players get involved but nothing on scaling it down any and all advice would be welcomed and greatly appreciated!

Quick Notes: The pc is a 6th lvl halfling rogue, she is currently travelling with a 5th lvl githzerai scout(npc)
Since it is only the one pc i have made potions more availible and try to include them in loot whenever possible.
She is currently residing in drellins ferry and has made Brother Denry a contact to help with her healing needs as well.
I have made scrolls of any defensive type availible at 50% of cost.

any other suggestions would be great...

Gildedragon
2012-11-25, 04:02 PM
Treat the PC as about 2 levels lower for what a reasonable CR is. Give her a Rust Bag of Tricks so she can set up flanking. talk to your player about the difficulty of the encounters.

eggs
2012-11-25, 04:44 PM
I'd definitely try to teach somebody new if I were going to run a campaign like that. Or get the player to run multiple characters - that would make things easier on both of you (no need to scale up encounters, no covering all roles with one character).

Skrag Fellhand
2012-11-25, 08:10 PM
teaching some one new would be a problem, you remember the salem witch trials......yeah its kinda like that for people who play pen and paper games here....backwoods hillbilles will string you up, nothing against hillbillies im one myself but where i live its all of the devil....blah blah blah any ways thanx

NinjaInTheRye
2012-11-26, 08:56 PM
any other suggestions would be great...

Probably not what you're looking for, but I've often run games for 1 player. My solution has usually just been to give them complete run of their character and to add in an appropriate number of NPCs (built as PCs), I control the NPCs outside of combat and allow the player to run them in combat (unless the player has them do something particularly out of character).

Skrag Fellhand
2012-11-27, 02:58 AM
thanx ninja i may give that a try, if she handles it pretty well i'll probably let her run an npc or 2 in combat