PDA

View Full Version : [Creature]

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-10-27, 05:17 PM
Thistlehen

Tiny Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 2d8+2 (11 hp)
Initiative: +6
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), fly 30 ft. (poor)
Armor Class: 19 (+2 dex, +5 natural +2 size), touch 15, flat-footed 17
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/-9
Attack: Claw +6 melee (1d4-3) and slash +1 melee (1d3-3 plus maddening itch)
Full Attack: Claw +6 melee (1d4-3) and slash +1 melee (1d3-3 plus maddening itch)
Space/Reach: 2 1/2 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Downyfluff, maddening itch
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., hide in plain sight, low-light vision, plant traits, vulnerability to fire
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +3
Abilities: Str 5, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 2, Wis 17, Cha 10
Skills: Hide +23, Listen +6, Spot +6
Feats: Alertness, Improved Initiative(B), Weapon Finesse(B)
Environment: Temperate Plains
Organization: Solitary or clutch (3-6 thistlehens)
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 3-4 HD (Tiny), 5-7 HD (Small)
Level Adjustment: -

A thistlehen appears as a large pheasant similiar to a pea**** covered in feathers of all shades of browns, yellows, blacks and tans with speckles of green. Its lengthy, whispy tail rise up dramtically like tall feathery weeds, and the criss-crossing pattern upon its body is as the undergrowth of the grasslands. Around its neck and almost hiding its head is a puff of what appears as dirty thistledown. Though almost impossible to see, the feather's barbs are literally that, its entire surface a forest of vicious, miniscule hooks.

Thistlehens are the ultimate survivors of the prairie, being almost impossible to track down and nearly as hard to capture. As well their dry, papery flesh is unpalatable to most carnivores, though nutricious, tasting of baked grains. More often than not they are considered but a myth, despite the fact that hundreds may always be living nearby.

There are no thistle****s, the hens brushing against the pollens and seeds of the field. Shortly after pod-like husks are laid within a small hole the hen scratches out and then abandoned. The husk soon hatches and releases a small puffball which is carried off on the wind. The puffball eventually grows legs and wings and matures into an adult thistlehen with the coloration of whatever plant's pollen or seed induced its growth.

A thistlehen weighs only several pounds, being extremely light for its size.

Combat
A thistlehen is a coward at heart, and will always try to hide or flee rather than fight unless cornered. It will release a great cloud of pollen to distract others as it takes to the air. It will then glide back down shortly and hide.

Downyfluff (Ex): As a full round action a thistlehen can flap vigorously, releasing a cloud of pollen and fine dust 20 feet wide and 15 feet high. Those who breathe within it must succeed on a DC 12 fortitude save each round or spend a full round action sneezing and choking (are considered stunned) and take 1d4 constitution damage. This cloud lasts for 1d6+1 rounds.

A moderate wind (11+ mph), such as from a gust of wind spell, disperses the cloud in 4 rounds. A strong wind (21+ mph) disperses cloud in 1 round.

A normal flame from a candle or lantern or magical fireball, flame strike, or similar spell cast into or within the cloud causes it to explode and burn away the dust, dealing damage to all within the cloud equal to half the spell's original damage plus 1d6 force damage. Those within 10 feet of the cloud must succeed on a reflex save equal to the spell's DC or also take fire and force damage. Those who take force damage are thrown 10 feet in a random direction and fall prone. If an obstacle prevents the completion of the victim's move, the opponent and the obstacle each take 1d6 points of damage, and the opponent stops in the space adjacent to the obstacle.

Grassland Stride (Ex): A thistlehen may move through any sort of undergrowth (such as natural thorns, briars, overgrown areas, and similar terrain) at her normal speed and without taking damage or suffering any other impairment. However, thorns, briars, and overgrown areas that have been magically manipulated to impede motion still affect her.

Hide In Plain Sight (Ex):
While in the grasslands or an area of tall undergrowth, a thistlehen can use the Hide skill even while being observed and gains a +10 bonus to hide checks.

Maddening Itch (Ex): The barbs along a thistlehen's feathers hook themselves into the skin, drawing blood and irritating horribly. Those that grapple a thistlehen, automatically taking 1 point of damage, or sustain damage from its slashing attack, must succeed on a DC 12 will save each round or cease all other activity to scratch or shift about. The victim takes a -5 penalty on initiative checks and a -2 penalty on all attack rolls, saves, and skill checks. If he tries to cast a spell, he must make a Concentration check (DC 15 + spell level) or lose the spell. This condition lasts until the damage is healed that caused the condition. Penalties from multiple damage does not stack, though it does increase the ammount of damage required to be healed. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Scent of the Field (Ex): A thistlehen smells exactly like that of the grasses and weeds around it and as such cannot be detected or tracked by scent.

Vulnerability to Fire:
A thistlehen takes half again as much (+50%) damage as normal from fire spells and effects, regardless of whether a saving throw is allowed, or if the save is a success or failure.

AmberVael
2006-10-27, 05:55 PM
Hm. Maybe it is just me being picky, but I would change the cloud to be 10ft high. It seems just more believeable and a bit more rounded that way.
Also, aren't the hide bonuses for such things usually +4 for animals, then +8 in their favorable environment?
Either that or +0/+4?

Like I said, I'm just picky, but those are the things that I might change. Otherwise, good job, as normal.

Saithis Bladewing
2006-10-27, 06:07 PM
Why is 20x20x15 a poor dimension? And how is 20x20x10 any better? o.O

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-10-27, 06:11 PM
Hm. Maybe it is just me being picky, but I would change the cloud to be 10ft high. It seems just more believeable and a bit more rounded that way.
As Saithis mentioned, not quite sure I understand what the difference would really be.

Also, aren't the hide bonuses for such things usually +4 for animals, then +8 in their favorable environment?
Either that or +0/+4?
Animals don't get any special bonus to hide usually. Just chose a +6 because it looked like a good bet.

AmberVael
2006-10-27, 06:24 PM
Why is 20x20x15 a poor dimension? And how is 20x20x10 any better? o.O

I don't know. It just seemed more believable to me that the cloud would go much further out that up. It just felt right to me.

As for animals and hide bonuses:

Leopards have a +4 racial bonus on Hide checks. *In areas of tall grass or heavy undergrowth, the Hide bonus improves to +8.

*Hyenas have a +4 racial bonus on Hide checks in areas of tall grass or heavy undergrowth.
These in particular were the ones I was thinking of. However, I noticed that it did seem to vary more between animals than I remembered. What I did notice was that all of them were divisible by four, and quite a few recieved a different environment bonus. Most of them had a +4 in their normal bonus, and if they did not, it was their environment bonus instead (and they recieved no normal bonus)

That being said, I realize that all of my minor suggestions will have relatively little effect on the overall creature, so I don't really care if you dismiss them.
Even if I did care, hey, its your creature.

Saithis Bladewing
2006-10-27, 06:26 PM
Those special bonuses are based on a few individual animals, but animals as a whole don't seem to be getting those kinds of benefits, so I think it's safe to assume that such stats are going to be fine at +6. A couple of examples in the book doesn't determine the whole picture. Besides, what if he wants it to be inbetween a hyena and a leopard in terms of sneakiness?

AmberVael
2006-10-27, 06:30 PM
Besides, what if he wants it to be inbetween a hyena and a leopard in terms of sneakiness?
Then I assume he would give it a +6. ;)
I'm just pointing out the norm. Most bonuses that animals (or any creature for that matter) get on checks are +4 or +8.

McDeath
2006-10-27, 07:22 PM
Nice stuff Tribble. I wish I was as good at homebrewin' as you are...Oh well, at least I can shamelessly pinch your stuff to use in my campaigns.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-10-28, 12:34 PM
Then I assume he would give it a +6. ;)
I'm just pointing out the norm. Most bonuses that animals (or any creature for that matter) get on checks are +4 or +8.
It'd make sense though to give it at least as much of a hide bonus as a cat.

*ups it*