PDA

View Full Version : How much for a baby dinosaur?

ohil
2012-11-25, 08:40 PM
How much for baby velociraptor or T-rex? We are in Ebberon and My character has decided to get one and DM was not sure how much so anyone know?

Mithril Leaf
2012-11-25, 11:18 PM
Depending on how cheesy you want to be, the Warbeast template in Monster Manual II has pricing for any animal or vermin in existence.

Darrin
2012-11-26, 07:41 AM
How much for baby velociraptor or T-rex? We are in Ebberon and My character has decided to get one and DM was not sure how much so anyone know?

Eberron Campaign Setting (ECS) page 121 lists the prices for several dinosaur mounts:

Carver, 400 GP (deinonychus)
Clawfoot, 150 GP (velociraptor, stats in ECS on page 279)
Fastieth, 50 GP (laellynasaura, stats in ECS on page 280)
Glidewing, 800 GP (pteranadon, stats in ECS on page 280)

Note that these prices are for full-grown already-trained mounts. I'm not sure what a juvenile would cost, but probably some fraction of the prices above.

The Arms & Equipment Guide also lists some prices for dinosaur mounts, but for whatever reason in this book they tend to be prohibitively expensive:

Deinonychus egg, 10000 GP + 1500 GP training cost
Megaraptor egg, 13000 GP + 2000 GP training cost
(This is just for the egg! No info is given for how long to grow/train.)

Triceratops young, 7000 GP + 10000 GP training cost
("Young" is not defined, but presumably it means "trainable but otherwise fully grown.")

And then there's the Warbeast template in Monster Manual II, where you just pick an animal and pay about 75 GP per hit die. This makes buying dinosaurs ludicrously cheap:

Deinonychus (5HD, large), 475 GP
Fleshraker (6HD*, medium), 550 GP
Megaraptor (9HD*, huge), 775 GP
Bloodstriker (10HD, large), 850 GP
Triceratops (17HD, huge), 1375 GP
Tyrannosaurus (19HD, huge), 1525 GP
Battletitan (37HD, huge), 2875 GP (although the text mentions 100000+ GP)

If those sizes are too big, you could try adding the Dungeonbred template from Dungeonscape, or you can use the more conveniently-sized "Cave" versions from the Miniatures Handbook. Warbeast prices for the "Cave" dinosaurs:

Cave Anylosaurus (8HD, large), 700 GP
Cave Triceratops (9HD*, large), 775 GP
Cave Tyrannosaurus (10 HD, large), 850 GP

* Note = Warbeast adds +1 HD, and at these levels the animal gains a bonus feat, which you can presumably pick as part of their training.

So, in short: If you're using the Eberron Campaign Setting, you've got prices for dinosaur mounts right there in the book. Anything outside of that... it's up to your DM. Most sane DMs won't allow you to buy Warbeasts at those prices, but you may be able to negotiate a more reasonable price somewhere between the Warbeast prices and the A&EG prices.

ohil
2012-11-26, 01:50 PM
Thank you very much :). Most people get dogs, I figure why not get something cute and scaly that can bite a finger off.