PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas for Duskblade/Crusader gish

HamHam
2012-11-25, 09:42 PM
I'm making a 15th level character for a mini-campaign. I was going to make an Archivist but then I had an amazing character concept. But it requires make a playable arcane/9-swords gish, preferably with Duskblade and Crusader, but I'm open to suggestions for arcane base classes that can do the channel spells through melee some other way. Obviously it won't be on the same level as an Archivist, but I do want something that won't completely suck.

My thinking so far is Duskblade 5 gets me a decent collection of signature abilities, and then Crusader 4 to get the first rank of Steely Resolve. Then I guess 6 levels of a PrC. The only option in ToB is Jade Phoenix Mage and it's kind of meh, imho. Not bad, but the flavor is a bit specific and it limits me to two disciplines. Does anyone know of any other 3rd party or homebrew options that are good that I could run by my DM?

Any other ideas anyone might have on good feats to take or whatever would be great also.

EDIT:

Some other options that I am considering:

Doing Cleric/Crusader/Ruby Knight Vindicator and using the Smiting Spell metamagic feat.

Convince my DM to give me an artifact weapon that allows spell storing on higher level spells.

Darrin
2012-11-26, 12:15 AM
My thinking so far is Duskblade 5 gets me a decent collection of signature abilities, and then Crusader 4 to get the first rank of Steely Resolve. Then I guess 6 levels of a PrC.

The general rule of thumb when multiclassing ToB is to make sure your non-Martial Adept levels are even: 2, 4, or 6 levels. If you take more than 6 levels, then you can't get 9th level manuevers. For the Crusader, 2 or 4 levels also helps even out your stance progression a bit.

The only option in ToB is Jade Phoenix Mage and it's kind of meh, imho. Not bad, but the flavor is a bit specific and it limits me to two disciplines.

Not optimal, but fun. Emerald Immolation is certainly a more interesting capstone than anything the Crusader gets.

Any other ideas anyone might have on good feats to take or whatever would be great also.

Arcane Strike. Power Attack. The usual two-handed stuff.

Doing Cleric/Crusader/Ruby Knight Vindicator and using the Smiting Spell metamagic feat.

RKV = big shiny WIN button.

Convince my DM to give me an artifact weapon that allows spell storing on higher level spells.

If you can get your hands on a Glyph Seal or Greater Glyph Seal (Magic Item Compendium), then you can skip that.

Snowbluff
2012-11-26, 12:22 AM
I don't think Duskblade is very good unless you have 13 levels in it. I am not sure if DB Channeling works with

You might be better off with a different channeling type, like the ones from Ordained Champion or Spellsword. Spellsword works like a Spellstoring weapon, but stacks with Spellstoring and has no level limit.

Smiting Spell might help as well.

Spellstored Spell + Smiting Spell + Channeled Spell, multiply with Diamond Nightmare Blade (Thanks, Martial Study and/or Eternal Blade!) for a nice hit.

HamHam
2012-11-27, 04:19 PM
Thanks for bringing up Ordained Champion, I did not even know that existed.

So, here's what I'm going with:

Crusder 1/Cleric 3/OC 3/RKV 8

28 point buy: 14/14/8/12/14/14

War, Travel, and Inquisition domains

Since my spell DCs are going to be pretty bad, I looked for spells that don't need a failed save and found some in Frostburn that either have no save or still do half damage to an ability score. So I'm going for a cold theme. Thus Energy Substition and Cold Focus (maybe Gr also). That still leaves me with most of my feats.

From the martial adept side, I have 6 readied manuevers: WRT, Divine Surge, Law Bearer, Irresistible Mountain Strike, Stone Bones, and Charging Minotaur

Snowbluff
2012-11-27, 04:33 PM
You're welcome.

You might want to check out some Divine Metamagic. Slef buffs are good when your Wis is low.