PDA

View Full Version : Genesis sanctuary?

Seer_of_Heart
2012-11-25, 10:42 PM
I have an idea for a litch to hide his phylactery, or just about any character to hide something, but I'm not completely sure of its legality or if it can be circumvented easily.

You cast genesis to make an entrance demiplane with a slowed time trait. For any paranoid players this entrance demiplane can be nested with multiple demiplanes until you get to the one that really matters. The entrance to the next demiplane can be hidden in a tiny object or something that would take years even real time to find. Eventually you have a demiplane set up that is a "travel" demiplane or one that has the enterance to multiple other demiplanes to divert people. The demiplanes that the hub links to can have several nested demiplanes all with the slowed time trait too for good measure. Now finally a litch hides his phylactery among many fake phylacteries in a demiplane with a quicker time trait so that he regenerates quickly.

The problems with this that I am unsure of are two fold. A, is it possible to "nest" demiplanes. And B, is it possible to make the demiplanes one way, as in magical transportation lets you leave them easily, but to enter them you have to be specifically allowed to or enter it in a time consuming and possibly dangerous way.

Kumori
2012-11-25, 11:22 PM
I don't know if Genesis is able to make layered planes (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/planes.htm#layeredPlanes) by RAW, though I personally would allow if a player wanted to in my games.

Layered Planes

Infinities may be broken into smaller infinities, and planes into smaller, related planes. These layers are effectively separate planes of existence, and each layer can have its own planar traits. Layers are connected to each other through a variety of planar gates, natural vortices, paths, and shifting borders.

Access to a layered plane from elsewhere usually happens on a specific layer: the first layer of the plane, which can be either the top layer or the bottom layer, depending on the specific plane. Most fixed access points (such as portals and natural vortices) reach this layer, which makes it the gateway for other layers of the plane. The plane shift spell also deposits the spellcaster on the first layer of the plane.

To me, that seems to be the ruling you're looking for about the "nesting" thing. The traveling from one plane to the next would probably be more of a player creativity thing than a rules based thing.... I think...

Crake
2012-11-26, 07:48 AM
I don't know if Genesis is able to make layered planes (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/planes.htm#layeredPlanes) by RAW, though I personally would allow if a player wanted to in my games.

To me, that seems to be the ruling you're looking for about the "nesting" thing. The traveling from one plane to the next would probably be more of a player creativity thing than a rules based thing.... I think...

If you read the genesis spell, it says that casting the spell again while inside the demiplane simply results in the plane expanding, while casting it outside the demiplane creates a separate, new demiplane.

Of course, if you wanted to house-rule it as ok, then that's fair too.

Jack_Simth
2012-11-26, 08:08 AM
I have an idea for a litch to hide his phylactery, or just about any character to hide something, but I'm not completely sure of its legality or if it can be circumvented easily.

Well, let's take a look at the Genesis spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spells/genesis.htm); we've got the clause: "A character can only cast this spell while on the Ethereal Plane" - which would preclude making a demiplane on your demiplane to nest them in that manner - they all need to be cast while on the Ethereal. Plus, you know, it's a 9th level spell that costs 5,000 xp to cast each time.

And if you have an idea as to which plane you're visiting, Gate or Wish require no focuses specific to the location (unlike Plane Shift), so a caster that's sufficiently on par with the lich doing this to be a reasonable challenge can just jump straight to the end.