PDA

View Full Version : abuse of Trapsmith spells?

barna10
2012-11-25, 11:32 PM
Is there some way to abuse Trapsmith spells? There has to be some class or feat that allows you to learn spells off of another class's spell list, right?

Snowbluff
2012-11-25, 11:37 PM
Extra Spell did this pre-errata. Then they errataed it. Not sure why, the feat is mostly useless now.

Early Swiftblade entry might be possible with level 1 haste.

Randomguy
2012-11-25, 11:43 PM
IIRC, Chameleon can cast spells from any arcane list, including trapsmith. Also the Wyrm Wizard PrC can get you spells from other classes onto your spell list.

Courier6
2012-11-26, 03:45 AM
An StP Erudite can learn any spell from any caster as a psionic power.

RoyVG
2012-11-26, 04:40 AM
Artificer could make wands or scrolls at lower level, as the spell exists as a lower level spell. Wands of Haste, or Arcane Sight suddenly becomes a whole lot cheaper:
5625 GP + 450 XP for a 3rd level spell at CL5 (minimum), or 1875gp +150XP for a 1st level spell at CL5. 1/3 the money (and EXP) for the same duration. OR triple the duration for the same price!

Greater Dispel Magic, a 3rd level spell for the TS, 6th level for most other caster, which means that under normal circumstances, only Trapsmith can make Wands out of it. Half the price compared to a wizard's, when made with equal caster level. Or equal price with double the caster level.

heck, this allow an Artificer to make a scroll of Lesser Globe of Invunerability with CL 1 at 1st level, due to the artificer being abel to replicate spells of 1 spell level higher than a wizard can.

It can be a bit cheesy to do it like this, but I haven't found a rule against it. The 'biggest' problem is that you need Use Magic Device to use these wands, since the Artificer's wands aren't arcane or divine.

Venger
2012-11-26, 11:08 AM
IIRC, Chameleon can cast spells from any arcane list, including trapsmith. Also the Wyrm Wizard PrC can get you spells from other classes onto your spell list.

you are correct. I'm playing a chameleon and do this all the time. it's awesome.

MesiDoomstalker
2012-11-26, 01:48 PM
Could a Wizard activate a Scroll of Greater Dispel Magic crafted by a Trapsmith without UMD? Would make some of those spells much easier to have on hand.

Andreaz
2012-11-26, 01:51 PM
Could a Wizard activate a Scroll of Greater Dispel Magic crafted by a Trapsmith without UMD? Would make some of those spells much easier to have on hand.If it's not in his list, it must be UMDd.
Either of these two (I don't remember which) apply:
1) The scroll contains a Trapsmith spell. Wiz must UMD
2) The scroll contains the generic spell: Use your spell list's version.

Gavinfoxx
2012-11-26, 01:55 PM
If the Trapsmith has a way of making divine spells arcane, an Archivist can scribe the spells...

Also an Archivist can make scrolls and wondrous items and such of trapsmith spells, full stop.

nedz
2012-11-26, 01:57 PM
The obvious abuse is cheaper crafting — by an artificer or otherwise.
So make a crafting Trapsmith — Profit.

As RoyVG pointed out you can also make Wands or Potions of spells which would otherwise be too high a level.

Necroticplague
2012-11-26, 02:09 PM
If the Trapsmith has a way of making divine spells arcane, an Archivist can scribe the spells...

Also an Archivist can make scrolls and wondrous items and such of trapsmith spells, full stop.

Well, cooperative crafting can give you divine version of any arcane spell by having the arcane caster contribute the spell, and the divine one the actual crafting, making the resulting item divine, thus archivist-scribable.

Viscerator
2012-11-26, 05:37 PM
several ways as far as i know:

i. simply UMD for the scroll/wand/staff/sceptor

ii. Wyrm wizard 2 or Recaster 2 allow you add any spell into your spell list

iii. make it into runestaff plu UMD simulating class

iv. make it into schema

v. southern magician feat + scribe scroll + archivist

vi. Geomancer's class feature + scribe scroll + archivist

Snowbluff
2012-11-26, 07:17 PM
A 12th level Warlock can make cheaper items of these spells as well. Cuz 12th level warlocks do that. Make things.

odigity
2012-11-27, 12:38 AM
A 12th level Warlock can make cheaper items of these spells as well. Cuz 12th level warlocks do that. Make things.

You know, I just read up on Warlock a few weeks ago for the first time and was shocked when I encountered their Imbue Item ability at 12th lvl. I rushed to the boards to search for discussion on the matter and found little to none. Not sure why.

tyckspoon
2012-11-27, 12:42 AM
You know, I just read up on Warlock a few weeks ago for the first time and was shocked when I encountered their Imbue Item ability at 12th lvl. I rushed to the boards to search for discussion on the matter and found little to none. Not sure why.

Because the ability comes fairly late in the progression, and requires you to have at least 12 Warlock levels. It's a *really* neat benefit if you do get to that point, don't get me wrong.. but if you want to make "I can craft anything!" the focus of your character, well, Artificers do it better and they do it from level 1.

Snowbluff
2012-11-27, 12:44 AM

This forum is allergic to Warlock penicillin, but refuses to excise its Monk cancer. It's backwards as hell, to be honest.

The problem with Imbue Item is that it gives you the ability to have 9th level spells one you get it. The only limit is your GPs and your XPs (make a thought bottle, seriously).

To some people this zero optimization base line ability that almost entirely covers a certain T1 class (Artificer, cough cough) is not enough to give Warlock a Tier bump. :smalltongue:

Courier6
2012-11-27, 02:08 AM
several ways as far as i know:

i. simply UMD for the scroll/wand/staff/sceptor

ii. Wyrm wizard 2 or Recaster 2 allow you add any spell into your spell list

iii. make it into runestaff plu UMD simulating class

iv. make it into schema

v. southern magician feat + scribe scroll + archivist

vi. Geomancer's class feature + scribe scroll + archivist

You forgot StP Erudite:smallbiggrin:

odigity
2012-11-27, 05:34 AM
The problem with Imbue Item is that it gives you the ability to have 9th level spells one you get it. The only limit is your GPs and your XPs (make a thought bottle, seriously).

I know, right? No spells, no craft feats, just BAM! Have any item.

(I know everyone on the boards loves the Artificer, but I don't.)

thriceborn
2012-11-27, 05:44 AM
I know, right? No spells, no craft feats, just BAM! Have any item.

(I know everyone on the boards loves the Artificer, but I don't.)

Gotta have the craft feat. Says so in the description, page 8, first snetence in the imbue item paragraph.

odigity
2012-11-27, 06:10 AM
Gotta have the craft feat. Says so in the description, page 8, first snetence in the imbue item paragraph.

Ah, forgot about that. That's reasonable.

Still, no need to hunt down the right spells, or worry about prohibited schools. I assume the CL requirements for crafting still apply, which should prevent them from making an item before an equivalent-level wizard would be able to...

nedz
2012-11-27, 07:00 AM

This was discussed in a thread last week.
Warlock 12 / Chameleon 2
Chameleon 2 gives you a floating feat for crafting/Extra Invocation
Though really you ought to consider
Warlock 6 / Chameleon 2 / Warlock +6
or something along those lines

lunar2
2012-11-27, 03:05 PM
trapsmith casting is arcane. make an arcane scroll, or make a wand/staff.

any arcane caster with the spell on their list can use the scroll, regardless of what spell level they normally cast the spell at, as long as they have the ability score and caster level to cast it at the level on the scroll.

any caster, arcane or divine, can use the wand/staff, as long as they have the spell on their spell list. wands and staves make no distinction between arcane and divine, only scrolls do.

Viscerator
2012-11-28, 09:04 PM
You forgot StP Erudite:smallbiggrin:

StP is omnipotent!:smallamused: