PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with DMM Consumptive Field level Optimization

JKTrickster
2012-11-26, 02:00 AM
What are the most painless ways of getting into this amazing PrC with Archivist?

Or is there another PrC that is better for the Archivist?

I am looking for one of the most powerful options, most cheese allowed beyond infinite loops and such tricks.

The nature of the game I am playing in has radically shifted. Someone has brought out a DMM Consumptive Field while another has brought out a variant of the Shepherd, the Saint, and the Sinner build.

It looks like I should probably step up my game.

How does one prepare against a Holy Word/Blasphemy/etc. spell?

Endarire
2012-11-26, 02:57 AM
Take the Magical Training feat from Player's Guide to Faerun.

Go Archivist11 (for the level 11 ability)/Contemplative1 (to nab the domain you need)/Sacred Exorcist1 (for Turn Undead to fuel Divine Metamagic)/Church Inquisitor1 (to get another domain to swap out)/Dweomerkeeper4+.

This method doesn't require substitute domain. Have at it!

JKTrickster
2012-11-26, 03:27 AM
Cool! But why the Magical Training feat? What purpose does it serve? :smallconfused:

Also instead of Church Inquisitor 1 (to get another domain to swap out), would it be better to dip Dread Necromancer for another whole pool for DMM?

Endarire
2012-11-26, 03:45 AM
Magical Training fulfills Dweomerkeeper's prereq of being able to cast arcane spells.

Cleric1 gets you at least 2 domains and qualifies you for DWK sooner, but that means sacrificing casting. Depends on what you want.

JKTrickster
2012-11-26, 04:09 AM
Ahh okay! Thanks a lot :smallbiggrin:

Are there any other good PrCs for the Archivist? It seems so hard to find any...

JKTrickster
2012-11-26, 04:53 PM
Sorry for the double post but I have to ask:

The nature of the game I am playing in has radically shifted. Someone has brought out a DMM Consumptive Field while another has brought out a variant of the Shepherd, the Saint, and the Sinner build.

It looks like I should probably step up my game.

How does one prepare against a Holy Word/Blasphemy/etc. spell?

kardar233
2012-11-26, 05:03 PM
Remember that Consumptive Field's CL bonus is maximized half your original CL.

Persistent Greater Spell Immunity will protect you against the Holy Word line (as they allow SR) unless the guy is also going Dweomerkeeper. There aren't many ways to protect yourself against a (Su) Holy Word though.

Here's an idea: Archivist qualifies for Initiate of Mystra (due to a paragraph about Initiate feats in Dragon Magic, IIRC) so swath yourself in a permanent Antimagic Field. Or several.

JKTrickster
2012-11-26, 06:16 PM
Isn't the SR part of the Holy Word line spells only meant for the Banishment effect?

Or....? :smallconfused:

TuggyNE
2012-11-26, 06:45 PM
Isn't the SR part of the Holy Word line spells only meant for the Banishment effect?

Or....? :smallconfused:

No, holy word is just SR: Yes. (The saving throw is the part that only applies to banishing.)

Incidentally, holy word has no ability to kill non-living constructs, so if you can work out some way to shift into a standard construct form, you have a certain amount of protection there.

JKTrickster
2012-11-27, 12:42 AM
Oh that's perfect! Thanks!

Keld Denar
2012-11-27, 01:10 PM
Holy Word them back, preceded by Mordy's Disjunction if needed, then ask then if it was fun. If they say no, do what I do and forget Holy Word and friends even exist.

Those spells are one of the few things I don't allow in my games, and I think it makes the game better to exclude them.

Edit: Protip, vermin have low CRs for their HD. They also advance one CR per 4 HD. A 30 HD Half-Fiend centipede in only like, CR 13 and can Blasphemy 1/day. Two of them is an EL 15 encounter and should easily wipe the party. Just saying...