PDA

View Full Version : Twinking Out

Totally Guy
2012-11-26, 05:13 AM
I was just thinking that when I first started playing I heard the word twink, meaning to optimise, all the time. But I don't hear it at all now. Where did it go? Anyone still use it?

It also could be used as a noun to refer to someone who practices the art of twinking.

Serpentine
2012-11-26, 05:16 AM
Erm... Maybe it got drowned out by the other use of the word (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twink_(gay_slang))?

Medic!
2012-11-26, 05:17 AM
Personally I've never heard Twink used outside the MMO world.

Vitruviansquid
2012-11-26, 05:26 AM
I thought "twink" in the RPG context referred a low-level character using items obtained by a high-level character. :smallconfused:

edit: In any case, the advent of minimum level requirements on equipment since WoW seems to have mostly made twinking a thing of the past.

Yora
2012-11-26, 05:27 AM
How about "tweak", that would make a lot more sense.

Vknight
2012-11-26, 06:20 AM
I had a player who kept calling any action I did twinking out my character.
Course he was a jerk

Examples
Me; I have a high intelligence as a wizard
Jerk; So your twinking out
Me; Cause I'm the wizard in a group of paladins and rangers?
Jerk; No cause you maxing out intelligence
-

Me; I use the leftover energy of the talisman to increase my fireball so its quickened
Jerk; Twinking
Me; That was the entire point of the talisman
Jerk; TWINKING

Oh yeah I helped a guy cause he took toughness and he called me a twink for that and to stop ruining the game with my twinking.
And how it would all be bettering if you didn't try to twink there characters.

Starshade
2012-11-26, 09:14 AM
Heard it used a lot in mmo's, but that's it.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-11-26, 11:04 AM
I don't use it on the boards because my understanding is that the word is only really usalbe in a derogatory fashion. I don't want to get tagged for flaming.

huttj509
2012-11-26, 12:16 PM
I used to use it in the MMORPG sense (using higher level character to give best items for the level to low level character), but sorta petered out when my college roommate (gay) and I ran into the "wow, that word really means different things in different contexts."

nedz
2012-11-26, 12:55 PM
I thought it, also, meant to cheat ?

E.G. a Munchkin will Twink out their character by mis-interpreting some rule, adding some new class feature, acquiring some item, ...

Maybe the word has multiple meanings ?

Gavinfoxx
2012-11-26, 05:16 PM
Look at the urbandictionary writeup for it... two main definitions in different context...

navar100
2012-11-26, 06:13 PM
Hostess twinked out.

Saidoro
2012-11-26, 06:30 PM
edit: In any case, the advent of minimum level requirements on equipment since WoW seems to have mostly made twinking a thing of the past.

Nah, it still happens, it's just been institutionalized with the heirloom system.

Anyway, the low level character with high level items use is the one I'm most familiar with, though I have heard both of the other mentioned uses. Not sure what happened to it.

Medic!
2012-11-27, 12:34 AM
I always used the word Twink to describe over-geared toons...not over-geared gay toons. I think Twink can be saved. I'm takin' it back.

DontEatRawHagis
2012-11-28, 09:39 AM
Again only in MMO's as far as I've heard.

In tabletops its either muchkining, power gaming, or GM favoritism.