PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Confused about Magus spellstrike/spell combat

AttilaTheGeek
2012-11-26, 06:52 AM
Hey everyone, long time lurker, first time posting.

I'm joining a campaign that needed a fighter, but I refuse to play a class without spell slots, so I decided to give the Magus a whirl. However, after reading over Spellstrike and Spell Combat, a couple times, they seem ambiguous. Here's what they say, for convenience.

Spell Combat (Ex): At 1st level, a magus learns to cast spells and wield his weapons at the same time. This functions much like two-weapon fighting, but the off-hand weapon is a spell that is being cast. To use this ability, the magus must have one hand free (even if the spell being cast does not have somatic components), while wielding a light or one-handed melee weapon in the other hand. As a full-round action, he can make all of his attacks with his melee weapon at a –2 penalty and can also cast any spell from the magus spell list with a casting time of 1 standard action (any attack roll made as part of this spell also takes this penalty). If he casts this spell defensively, he can decide to take an additional penalty on his attack rolls, up to his Intelligence bonus, and add the same amount as a circumstance bonus on his concentration check. If the check fails, the spell is wasted, but the attacks still take the penalty. A magus can choose to cast the spell first or make the weapon attacks first, but if he has more than one attack, he cannot cast the spell between weapon attacks.

Spellstrike (Su): At 2nd level, whenever a magus casts a spell with a range of “touch” from the magus spell list, he can deliver the spell through any weapon he is wielding as part of a melee attack. Instead of the free melee touch attack normally allowed to deliver the spell, a magus can make one free melee attack with his weapon (at his highest base attack bonus) as part of casting this spell. If successful, this melee attack deals its normal damage as well as the effects of the spell. If the magus makes this attack in concert with spell combat, this melee attack takes all the penalties accrued by spell combat melee attacks. This attack uses the weapon's critical range (20, 19–20, or 18–20 and modified by the keen weapon property or similar effects), but the spell effect only deals Χ2 damage on a successful critical hit, while the weapon damage uses its own critical modifier.

So here's how I see it going down in combat, but I'm not sure.
1) Using Spell Combat, I take a full attack action at a -2 penalty.
2) I cast a spell, say, Shocking Grasp.
3) I get another attack at my highest attack bonus -2, and if it misses, then Shocking Grasp misses. I also have to not roll a 1 on concentration.
4) I wind up with one more attack than my BAB would allow through a full-round action and a spell.
That doesn't seem right, especially that last bit.

But what if I cast a Quickened spell? Do I then get two more attacks than normal? And does it stack with haste? The campaign is 12th level, so it seems like attacks at +7/+2/+7/+7/+7 and a Maximized Intensified Shocking Grasp all in the same round would be pretty silly.

Andreaz
2012-11-26, 07:03 AM
1) Using Spell Combat, I take a full attack action at a -2 penalty. Almost! You take a full-round action. The difference is important (full attacks are full roud actions, but spell combat is a full-round action that includes both a spell casting and a full attack action)

2) I cast a spell, say, Shocking Grasp.
3) I get another attack at my highest attack bonus -2, and if it misses, then Shocking Grasp misses. I also have to not roll a 1 on concentration.
4) I wind up with one more attack than my BAB would allow through a full-round action and a spell.
That doesn't seem right, especially that last bit.
You do gain an extra attack if the spell you cast is a touch attack, this is working as intended.

So by using spell combat you will always perform two things: a full attack and casting a spell.
This is really all that spell combat is...giving you two actions at once. You can treat them as separate things.

But what if I cast a Quickened spell? Do I then get two more attacks than normal? And does it stack with haste? The campaign is 12th level, so it seems like attacks at +7/+2/+7/+7/+7 and a Maximized Intensified Shocking Grasp all in the same round would be pretty silly.Quickened spells do not figure into the spell combat at all.
You do your full-round action (the spell combat), and then you do your quickened spell with your swift action.
Again if the spell you cast is a touch attack you can use a sword strike with it.

Don't be too impressed, you're just trading "ignore a lot of ac" for "does melee damage on top". The big "plus" of spell strike is not the melee damage, but the fact you increase your crit chance with spells :D
(spells cast through spell strike crit together with the weapon, at x2 damage)

Oh! And your question about haste: It stacks. Inside spell combat, as said, you perform a full attack, and full attacks gain +1 attack from haste.

tl;dr: Let's see if this helps you to use during play.
SPELL COMBAT
Pre-requisite: One hand free, light or 1h weapon on the other hand.
Effects: Perform a full attack and cast a spell.
All attacks in the full attack are at -2.
The spell must be a standard action spell.
The spell must be cast before or after the entire full attack.

Everything good and bad about a full attack still applies!
Everything good and bad about a spell casting still applies!

SPELL STRIKE
When casting a spell that is delivered through a melee touch attack, you may deliver it through a normal weapon attack. The spell is otherwise unchanged.
If your weapon attack crits, so does the spell. The spell's multiplier is always x2

AttilaTheGeek
2012-11-26, 07:09 AM
Almost! You take a full-round action. The difference is important (full attacks are full roud actions, but spell combat is a full-round action that includes both a spell casting and a full attack action)
You do gain an extra attack if the spell you cast is a touch attack, this is working as intended.

Oh, okay. Awesome.

Again if the spell you cast is a touch attack you can use a sword strike with it.

Very awesome.

Don't be too impressed, you're just trading "ignore a lot of ac" for "does melee damage on top". The big "plus" of spell strike is not the melee damage, but the fact you increase your crit chance with spells :D
(spells cast through spell strike crit together with the weapon, at x2 damage)

Very, very awesome. I shelled out the gold for a Brilliant Energy weapon, so I should be fine.

Oh! And your question about haste: It stacks. Inside spell combat, as said, you perform a full attack, and full attacks gain +1 attack from haste.

Fantastic. Thank you so much for explaining the class I'm going to be playing in a couple days to me, and also for the quick reply.

Andreaz
2012-11-26, 07:16 AM
Fantastic. Thank you so much for explaining the class I'm going to be playing in a couple days to me, and also for the quick reply.You are welcome. You'll notice the magus dishes good damage out of the box, so you can rely on your damage. Spell recall will be your friend there!
Shocking Grasp is probably your most important single-target damage spell, and the Intensified Spell metamagic goes great with it.

Don't shy on control though, spell combat allows you to cast just about any spell. More than once I've saved my skin by spell-combating a fireball, black tentacles or even fly!

AttilaTheGeek
2012-11-26, 07:27 AM
More than once I've saved my skin by spell-combating a fireball, black tentacles or even fly!

Other combos I want to try out are True Strike, Toppling Magic Missile, and Dimension Door.

kardar233
2012-11-26, 07:27 AM
Basically, think of Spell Combat like the Monk's Flurry of Blows, except instead of making an extra attack you cast a spell. However, if that's a touch spell, you can make another attack to deliver it.

Pick up Arcane Mark as a cantrip; since it's a touch range spell, you can use Spell Combat with it to get an extra attack without using up spell slots. Plus you get to Zorro people.

Andreaz
2012-11-26, 07:29 AM
Basically, think of Spell Combat like the Monk's Flurry of Blows, except instead of making an extra attack you cast a spell. However, if that's a touch spell, you can make another attack to deliver it.

Pick up Arcane Mark as a cantrip; since it's a touch range spell, you can use Spell Combat with it to get an extra attack without using up spell slots. Plus you get to Zorro people.I find that the whole wording about "make another attack to deliver it" just confuses players...said attack you gain really is the attack the spells always entitle the caster in the first place!
And yes, Arcane Mark is a great way to shell another few dice of damage at people via spell combat + spell strike

Other combos I want to try out are True Strike, Toppling Magic Missile, and Dimension Door.Web and Dispel :D

Anderlith
2012-11-26, 08:06 AM
Take Arcane Mark so you can at least always swing twice against an opponent. Zorro style

Krazzman
2012-11-26, 10:25 AM
Take Arcane Mark so you can at least always swing twice against an opponent. Zorro style

Wait... assuming level 2: I could hit my Enemy with a Scimitar, then hit him again with said scimitar and deliver the Arcane Mark? And this only for a lousy -2 to hit? Count me in!

Anderlith
2012-11-26, 07:09 PM
I prefer a strength build with EWP Bastard Sword (d10's hurt so good) ... but yeah :) It's like dual wielding it

AttilaTheGeek
2012-11-26, 07:53 PM
I prefer a strength build with EWP Bastard Sword (d10's hurt so good) ... but yeah :) It's like dual wielding it

I also decided to go for the dex-based dervish dance build because I want to be able to pile on even more crazy damage when I need it at the cost of AC, and having a bunch of dex helps out with that because I can spend starting gold on a Lesser Quicken metamagic rod instead of a bunch of armor.

ETA: That made no sense. What I meant to say was, I want burst damage, so I spent gold on a quicken rod instead of armor. But, I don't want to be completely vulnerable, so having high dex helps.