PDA

View Full Version : Quick Power Judgment Please

silverwolfer
2012-11-26, 12:57 PM
I am thinking of letting one of my players have setting sun, with his crusader class. Everything okay with that thought, or am I setting myself up for any sort of hurting?

Andreaz
2012-11-26, 01:05 PM
mixing disciplines around should be fine, they are fairly self contained and balanced unto themselves!

He'll be a bit hardier since Setting Sun's defenses don't conflict with white raven, stone dragon and devoted spirit, but I don't think it'll be anywhere near an issue.

mattie_p
2012-11-26, 01:56 PM
As the player could mechanically do the same thing by multiclassing into swordsage at an appropriate level (say Crusader 8 / swordsage 1 - picking up all setting sun desired to 3rd level maneuvers), I'd say go ahead. The above is applicable only if you ignore multiclass penalties from non-favored classes.

Are there any particular maneuvers from setting sun the player wants? Or just the whole discipline?

silverwolfer
2012-11-26, 02:29 PM
Full sha bang

Thinks being the meat shield should include throwing someone over your shoulder if they get passed you

Urpriest
2012-11-26, 03:13 PM
Full sha bang

Thinks being the meat shield should include throwing someone over your shoulder if they get passed you

Sounds good then. I might take away one of the other disciplines, for fairness. Maybe White Raven?

Andreaz
2012-11-26, 08:25 PM
Sounds good then. I might take away one of the other disciplines, for fairness. Maybe White Raven?You can take any, but I'd not like to see white raven go. Its power does not reside or interact directly with setting sun for starters, so these two don't clash. Trading Stone Dragon may feel cheap but SD does have it good on the dr/con damage side. Devoted Spirit is a staple and kinda needed for the tanking in the first place.

I'd drop stone dragon first.

Darth Stabber
2012-11-26, 08:43 PM
Let the player pick the dropped school, though they probably pick stone dragon.

I did something like this in a game once where I let a swordsage grab ironheart, but everybody else got a weird little perk, the dread necro got to take arcane disciple(magic domain), and got the domain ability (and ignored the wisdom MAD), the psion got free practiced manifester for his psion uncarnate levels, the sorcerer got eschew material components and normal cast time for metamagic, and I don't remember what the rogue got. I didn't take anything, I just asked what small, not quite a feat, benefit and they all seemed fair and everyone was happy.