PDA

View Full Version : Warforged Question

Zanthy1
2012-11-26, 02:48 PM
Do warforged need to eat, drink, and sleep? I have only read the description in MMIII, and they seem to be a sort of AI, that has acquired body. (Like EDI from Mass Effect 3). If this is the case, then it goes without saying that food, drink, and sleep are meaningless. The sleep part could be remedied if that is too much by being more like a meditative state, like a reboot or something? maybe a re-synch?

What are your thoughts on this?

Also on a side note, I would be interested in playing a warforged at some point, any recommendations on builds?

Thanks!

hiryuu
2012-11-26, 02:52 PM
Warforged do not eat, drink, or sleep, but they can eat and drink if they wish. Many take a hobby to help deal with the eight-twelve hours of adventuring in which nothing is happening and they must remain quiet.

Now I want to make a Warforged who keeps waking people up to talk to them.

Urpriest
2012-11-26, 02:53 PM
Warforged are constructs, which by default do not eat, sleep or breathe. The statblock includes the living construct type, which would have any relevant differences.

Ravens_cry
2012-11-26, 02:56 PM
They are not, however, fully functional or programmed in multiple techniques.:smalltongue:

Psyren
2012-11-26, 04:19 PM
Do warforged need to eat, drink, and sleep?

No - however, Warforged spellcasters/manifesters/etc. must still rest to recover their powers.

The sleep part could be remedied if that is too much by being more like a meditative state, like a reboot or something? maybe a re-synch?

What are your thoughts on this?

It would be meditation, or even just plain blanking your mind and sitting there (like V did in the comic. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0623.html)) Here's the RAW:

Rest

To prepare her daily spells, a wizard must first sleep for 8 hours. The wizard does not have to slumber for every minute of the time, but she must refrain from movement, combat, spellcasting, skill use, conversation, or any other fairly demanding physical or mental task during the rest period. If her rest is interrupted, each interruption adds 1 hour to the total amount of time she has to rest in order to clear her mind, and she must have at least 1 hour of uninterrupted rest immediately prior to preparing her spells. If the character does not need to sleep for some reason, she still must have 8 hours of restful calm before preparing any spells.

Also on a side note, I would be interested in playing a warforged at some point, any recommendations on builds?

Thanks!

They're good at melee (both traditional and ToB), psionics and incarnum. Magic is harder because they either have to contend with ASF from their plating or penalties to the stats that divine casters tend to favor. They also make great artificers (both regular and psionic) because they can infuse their own bodies and repair themselves.

Sylvos330
2012-11-26, 04:32 PM

I've always been fond of the Factotum for Warforged. To me it just shows them learning everything they can especially while other people are sleeping.

Any type of Melee or Int based caster would work well with them.

I've had an idea for a Warforged Dragon Shamen or Dragonfire Adept that was actually a Dragons soul trapped in a warforged body. His whole reason for questing is to get their body back or to get a more "worthy" one. I've been wanting to play this for so long!

Piggy Knowles
2012-11-26, 05:02 PM
My favorite application for the warforged is probably either the totemist (here (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/29342115/Weekly_Optimization_Showcase:_Rusty!?pg=1) is a fantastic warforged totemist 20 build that, among other things, really takes advantage of the lack of sleeping/eating to make the ultimate sentry), as an artificer/melee hybrid (melee warforged actually do surprisingly well with even a small dip into artificer, although of course going artificer 20 is about as good as it gets), or as a cloistered cleric/landforged walker/earth dreamer.

Answerer
2012-11-26, 05:13 PM
No - however, Warforged spellcasters/manifesters/etc. must still rest to recover their powers.
Strict RAW, the Eberron Campaign Setting only says that Warforged Wizards must sleep to recover spells.

Ravens_cry
2012-11-26, 05:23 PM
Strict RAW, the Eberron Campaign Setting only says that Warforged Wizards must sleep to recover spells.
Strict RAW can walk 10 feet off a 7 foot gangplank.:smallyuk:

Amidus Drexel
2012-11-26, 05:23 PM

Thanks!

Warforged Warlocks are pretty cool. I mean, flying robots with lasers. :smallcool:

Amphetryon
2012-11-26, 05:32 PM
Warforged make excellent Psychic Warriors and Psion (Egoists), in my opinion.

Psyren
2012-11-26, 06:03 PM

That's moot, because no class requires you to sleep to regain spells. That doesn't override the PHB clause about races that don't sleep still needing to rest for the required amount of time. And it goes on to even define what constitutes rest (or more accurately, what doesn't) to remove all doubt.

Answerer
2012-11-26, 08:11 PM
That's moot, because no class requires you to sleep to regain spells. That doesn't override the PHB clause about races that don't sleep still needing to rest for the required amount of time. And it goes on to even define what constitutes rest (or more accurately, what doesn't) to remove all doubt.
Sorry, misspoke. The book says rest.

The way it's worded does imply that the exception is necessary to make casters rest, but then it only goes for the wizard. Of course, you are correct about that PHB clause not being explicitly overridden and therefore still applying. So I'll withdraw that claim.

Ravens_cry
2012-11-26, 08:32 PM
Sorry, misspoke. The book says rest.

The way it's worded does imply that the exception is necessary to make casters rest, but then it only goes for the wizard. Of course, you are correct about that PHB clause not being explicitly overridden and therefore still applying. So I'll withdraw that claim.
Can you quote that? :smallconfused:

Answerer
2012-11-26, 08:35 PM
Can you quote that? I:smallconfused:
Huh? Basically, it says "Warforged do not need to sleep. Even though Warforged do not need to sleep, a Warforged wizard must rest in order to regain spells." The implication of that sentence is that if it weren't there, it wouldn't be true, and the fact that it only states wizards means that it's not true for other classes.

But strict RAW, what the sentence implies doesn't matter, only what it explicitly says. It says Warforged wizards must rest; it doesn't say other classes do not have to. The PHB says they do, and nothing about the Warforged contradicts that.

Ravens_cry
2012-11-26, 08:42 PM
Since this is a RAW dispute, I'd prefer the rules exactly as written. With all due respect, 'basically' don't cut the mustard, colloquially speaking.

Answerer
2012-11-26, 09:32 PM
Then look it up yourself. Like I said, I have withdrawn the claim. I don't think RAW works that way, because of the PHB citation that Psyren gave.

I'm not really sure why we're still discussing it even.

Ravens_cry
2012-11-26, 09:33 PM
Fine by me. I apologize if my tone was overly confrontational.:smallsmile:

Psyren
2012-11-26, 09:38 PM
Note that a Warforged Cleric is in a slightly better position - They only need to pick a time of day and pray for an hour when that time arrives. This could be handy for deities that demand to be worshiped at midnight - the Warforged can simply putter around until the time arrives.

The stat penalties don't make the priesthood particularly attractive, however.

Zanthy1
2012-11-26, 10:13 PM
What if, as a cleric, i focused more on buff spells rather than healing? Since healing spells are not as effective on warforged, whereas mend, repair and such, are. It is only a -2, which is not that horrible considering.

On a side note, I made a half-orc wizard transmuter (necromancy and augmentation forbidden) and am loving it. It's just fun to role play :)

Psyren
2012-11-26, 10:28 PM
What if, as a cleric, i focused more on buff spells rather than healing? Since healing spells are not as effective on warforged, whereas mend, repair and such, are. It is only a -2, which is not that horrible considering.

That -2 Wis also means less spells/day and less save DC. It's not crippling by any means but most people find that their dice hate them enough without being given reasons to do so. Also, the -2 Cha means one less turning attempt. And you're right about the half-healing being troublesome.

All that aside, sure, you can be a very effective cleric as a warforged if you really want to be. Ultimately, class matters more than race when it comes to power, particularly once you get past the early levels.

nedz
2012-11-26, 10:37 PM
Well you could play a Wizard, take the Repair X line of spells from SpC and call yourself a Healer. I doubt that the other PCs would be very impressed however — unless they were constructs also.

Zanthy1
2012-11-26, 10:37 PM
Thank you all! This has been very helpful! I only have 1 more question, and that is simply, which book are is the Artificer class found?

Otherwise, Thanks!

nedz
2012-11-26, 10:39 PM
Eberron.........

Answerer
2012-11-26, 10:46 PM
Eberron Campaign Setting pg. 29.