PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing a Psionic Adaptation of Jade Phoenix Mage

Aegis013
2012-11-26, 03:40 PM
I'll be starting a game DM'd by a friend of mine in the future. As is my habit, I've been planning out my character, and I'm pretty happy with the outcome, but I've had nothing but good experiences asking the playground if I've overlooked anything. So that's what I'm here to do. I'm assuming that we'll make it 20th level in the event we do, and planning accordingly. My aim is for high Tier 3 to Tier 2 in terms of capability, and I only know that I will likely be in a group with a DFI Bard-blade.

Important ruling notes relevant to what I have (other stuff will be added if it comes up):
*Allowed 1 LA.
*All Arcane Prestige Classes can be adapted for Psionics in this game.
*Initiators can not know a maneuver more than once (so if it goes on a Swordsage set, it can not go on a Crusader set, allowing early Idiot Crusader).
*The Substitute Powers ACF for Ardent is being used fairly leniently.
*Arcane Strike feat has been adapted to be usable as Psionic Strike, with the added restriction that you cannot pay for psionic strike with a specific level of power any more than four times. So you can pay 4 pp for four first level "spell slots" but then you need to pay more to invest higher level "spell slots".
*Moment of Prescience has been ruled not to work for initiative rolls.
*Dragon Magazine stuff is accepted on a case-by-base basis, however, knowstones [1000*(spell/power level^2)] are accepted.

Here's the build, spoiled for length:
32 pt buy (16/8/14/14/16/8)
after Racial/template adjustments (20/10/16/10/18/6) Int necessary for skills.

Race: Feral Snow Elf (Chaotic Good)
Levels/Feats
2 Flaws
level 1. Ardent, Feats: Power Attack, F1. Practiced Manifester, F2. Psicrystal Affinity
level 2. Warblade
level 3. Crusader, Feat: Psionic Weapon
level 4. Ardent
level 5. Ardent
level 6. Ardent, Feat: Deep Impact
level 7. Ardent
level 8. Jade Phoenix Mage
level 9. Jade Phoenix Mage, Feat: Psionic Meditation
level 10. Jade Phoenix Mage
level 11. Jade Phoenix Mage
level 12. Jade Phoenix Mage, Feat: Psionic Strike (Arcane Strike adaptation)
level 13. Jade Phoenix Mage
level 14. Crusader
level 15. Jade Phoenix Mage, Feat: Psicrystal Containment
level 16. Jade Phoenix Mage
level 17. Jade Phoenix Mage
level 18. Jade Phoenix Mage, Feat: Extra Granted Maneuver
level 19. Crusader
level 20. Eternal Blade

Powers:
level/mantles/power gained
1. Freedom and Time mantles - Dimension Hop(Freedom), Synchronicity(Time)
4. Freedom, Time, gain Corruption and Madness mantle - Hustle(Freedom)
5. Freedom, Time, C&M - Time Hop(Time)
6. Freedom, Time, C&M - Feat Leech(C&M)[to leech off psicrystal]*
7. Freedom, Time, C&M, gain Conflict - Schism(C&M)
9. Freedom, Time, C&M, Conflict - Anticipatory Strike(Time)
10. Freedom, Time, C&M, Conflict - Fly, Psionic(Freedom)
11. Freedom, Time, C&M, Conflict - Temporal Acceleration(Time)
12. Freedom, Time, C&M, Conflict - Freedom of Movement(Freedom)
15. Freedom, Time, C&M, Conflict - Moment of Prescience(Conflict)
16. Freedom, Time, C&M, Conflict - Spirit of War(Conflict)
17. Freedom, Time, C&M, Conflict - Greater Psionic Teleport(Freedom)
18. Freedom, Time, C&M, Conflict - Assimilate(C&M)

*Psicrystal's feats:
1. Hidden Talent(Vigor)(2 pp)*, 3. Mindsight, 6. Overchannel, 9. Talented, 12. Psionic Talent(4 pp), 15. Psionic Talent(9 pp), 18. Psionic Talent(11 pp)
*Knowstone of Share Pain for Share Pain + Vigor combo by Feat Leeching Vigor.

Initiator Progression:
Items of note: Novice level Desert Wind Cloak, Diamond Mind Ring, and a Master level Diamond Mind Ring. Novice versions used for qualifications.

level/stances and manevuers gained a C: will mark Crusader and W: will mark Warblade
2. Stance:Stance of Clarity, W: Stone Bones, W: Charging Minotaur, W: Leading the Attack
3. Stance:Martial Spirit, C: Crusader Strike, C: Douse the Flames (Crusader: 2 known/2 granted)
8. W: Fan the Flames
10. W: Divine Surge
12. Stance:Thicket of Blades, W: Radiant Charge (Crusader: 2 known/3 granted)
13. - (Crusader: 2 known/4 granted)
14. Stance:Aura of Chaos
15. C: Rallying Strike (3 known/4 granted)
17. W: Castigating Strike (3 known/5 granted)
18. (Crusader: 3 known/6 granted)
19. C: Greater Divine Surge (4 known/6 granted)
20. C: Strike of Righteous Vitality (5 known/6 granted)

Granted from items:
Novice Desert Wind Cloak - Distracting Ember (assigned to Warblade recovery)
Novice Diamond Mind Ring - Action Before Thought (or Moment of Perfect Mind if I have time/foreknowledge of a situation) to protect weak saves (assigned to Warblade recovery)
Master Diamond Mind Ring - Avalanche of Blades (assigned to Crusader recovery) - Stance of Clarity chosen over punishing stance to qualify for this.

If the DM rules that maneuvers from items are their own thing, not assigned to initiator progressions, simple change Castigating Strike to a Crusader Maneuver.

Hopefully the synergy between Aura of Chaos, possibly Dragonfire Inspiration, Arcane/Psionic Strike, and Avalanche of Blades or Greater Divine Surge is obvious. With a back up utility belt of nifty psionic powers.

There are also some interesting benefits from JPM that aren't normally so good, the Mystic Phoenix Stance, for example, allows you to count as 1 caster level (or manifester level in this case) higher, which allows me to augment powers further than normal. Although I have nothing to really utilize Empowering Strike with.

Any advice or critique is welcome. Thanks in advance.