PDA

View Full Version : New Domains

The Demented One
2006-10-27, 09:07 PM
Below are several new domains, granted by the gods of Greyhawk, Faerun, and Eberron. Note that spells with a * by them are from the Spell Compendium, while spells marked with a ** are from Complete Mage.

Archery Domain
Deities: Corellon Larethian, Ehlonna, Hextor, Silver Flame, Solonor Thelandira
Granted Power: You gain Point Blank Shot as a bonus feat and are proficient with all martial ranged weapons
Spells:
1. Arrow Mind*
2. Near Horizon**
3. Greater Magic Weapon
4. Flaming Arrow
5. Arrow Storm*
6. Brilliant Blade*
7. Arrow of Bone*
8. Brilliant Aura*
9. Prismatic Bow**

Blood Domain
Deities: Blood of Vol, Kanchelsis, Nerull, Wee Jas
Granted Power: Once per day, as a standard action, you may grant any melee weapon you wield the wounding special ability for a number of rounds equal to your class level.
Spells:
1. Bloodletting**
2. Boiling Blood**
3. Vampiric Touch
4. Burning Blood*
5. Summon Blood Elemental (http://wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20030208a)
6. Blood Sirocco*
7. Blood to Water*
8. Kiss of the Vampire*
9. Avascular Mass*

Color Domain
Deities: Garl Glittergold, Lliira
Granted Power: You are immune to being blinded.
Spells:
1. Color Spray
2. Rainbow Beam*
3. Rainbow Blast*
4. Rainbow Pattern
5. Prismatic Ray*
6. Prismatic Aura**
7. Prismatic Spray
8. Prismatic Wall
9. Prismatic Sphere

Curse Domain
Deities: Beshaba, Olidamarra, Traveler, Vecna, Wee Jas
Granted Power: Luck bonuses do not apply on saves against divine spells cast by you.
Spells:
1. Doom
2. Curse of Ill Fortune*
3. Bestow Curse
4. Mark of Justice
5. Mass Curse of Ill Fortune*
6. Geas/Quest
7. Greater Bestow Curse*
8. Binding
9. Soul Bind

Language Domain
Deities: Aureon, Boccob, Deep Sashelas, Oghma, Vecna
Granted Power: You add Decipher Script and Speak Language to your list of Cleric class skills.
Spells:
1. Comprehend Languages
2. Whispering Wind
3. Tongues
4. Voice of the Dragon*
5. Sending
6. Word of Recall
7. Power Word Blind
8. Power Word Stun
9. Power Word Kill

Mist Domain
Deities: Akadi, Devourer, Grumbar, Obad-Hai
Granted Power: You take no penalties from rain. You treat wind as being two levels less severe for determining what penalties you take from it, and take no penalty from strong or severe wind. In addition, wind is treated as being two levels less severe for purposes of determining how fast it can disperse any cloud effect you create with a spell.
Spells:
1. Obscuring Mist
2. Fog Cloud
3. Stinking Cloud
4. Solid Fog
5. Mind Fog
6. Acid Fog
7. Cloudwalkers*
8. Storm Tower*
9. Incendiary Cloud

Volcano Domain
Deities: Kossuth, Moradin, Obad-Hai
Granted Power: You can move up steep mountain terrain at your full base land speed.
Spells:
1. Wall of Smoke*
2. Flaming Sphere
3. Stone Shape
4. Incendiary Surge**
5. Fire and Brimstone**
6. Wall of Stone
7. Great Worm of the Earth**
8. Deadly Lahar**
9. Transmute Rock to Lava*

EndlessEnnui
2006-10-28, 08:41 AM
I must say, I really like these domains -- especially the appropriateness of the special abilities and the good use of updated spell options to make the spell-themes fit. Also, I laud the decision to move Arrow Storm from a 3rd level Ranger spell to the 5th level slot -- any lower would be far-overpowered, and worse, would risk being easily in grasping range of easy metamagic persistification.

If I may make a suggestion for the mist domain, it would be neat for the Mist-cleric's resistance to wind effects to extend to his created mists. As dispersing winds are the bane of most mist spells, amending the special ability to "you and the Mist domain spells you cast treat wind as being two levels less severe..." would be fun and flavorful. To balance the added power of this addendum, perhaps reducing or removing the electricity-saves bonus would be called for.

Pegasos989
2006-10-28, 08:58 AM
Well, I am always myself a bit against adding new domains because most of them simply make cleric builds stronger and... they don't *really* need that. Such as archery domain giving them additional feat which I always found rediculous as most domains give powers like "+1 CL on healing spells", which is what I think that domains should do.

That said, I like Color, curse, language and volcano domains.
Blood domain also seems OK.
I would normally not allow archery domain because of my dislike for it's domain power but then again, there are already such domains (like planning), so I guess that most DMs would not have nothing against it.

Overall quite good but what's up with the mist domain? Saves against electricity from natural sources? I could understand that if it would be a weather domain, thunder domain or something but what exactly does electricity have to do with mist?

The Demented One
2006-10-28, 10:54 AM
Well, I am always myself a bit against adding new domains because most of them simply make cleric builds stronger and... they don't *really* need that.
Not much more than new feats or spells would. Any time new material is made available for a class, it's sure to become at least somewhat stronger, but not in a really significant way.

Such as archery domain giving them additional feat which I always found rediculous as most domains give powers like "+1 CL on healing spells", which is what I think that domains should do.
Note that the War domain grants Weapon Focus as a bonus feat, which is on par with Point Blank Shot.

Overall quite good but what's up with the mist domain? Saves against electricity from natural sources? I could understand that if it would be a weather domain, thunder domain or something but what exactly does electricity have to do with mist?
I've revised it to bring it in line with Ennui's suggestion.

Pegasos989
2006-10-28, 12:28 PM
Well, war domain gives it on your deity's favored weapon (what are there? The deities who grant war domain have longsword LG, morningstar CE, Spear CE and Flail LE) so gettin weapon focus for one of them is something I would call less useful than possibly the most important archey prequisite feat. Really, I believe that as the only thing that fighter is good for is getting feats, it should be left so that those wanting extra fighter feats take levels of fighter. Even planning domain gives metamagic feats. Which is why I wouldn't allow it personally.

But as I already said, there are surely more powerful domain powers somwhere (I doubt I would have to go further than completes to find them), so I can understand that as a domain power even though I personally dislike it.

I agree that it is not overpowered compared to celerity domain, competition domain, etc. but I just dislike it.

"It is not you domain, it's me..."