PDA

View Full Version : A simple Warlock archetype [PF]

Rapidghoul
2012-11-26, 08:44 PM
This is an attempt at updating Warlock from 3.5 to PF as an archetype and one of my many projects from my time working night shift with nothing to do. It's something I've toyed around with a lot, and I've gone through a number of permutations to get here. Warlock is a weird beast in that it lingers somewhere between witch and magus in terms of mechanics. It's not perfect, but I think it fits fairly well in representing the 3.5 class without getting too complicated.

Warlock [Witch]

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ca_gallery/85424.jpg
All witches gain their arcane energies from mysterious sources. Most of these patrons empart specialized powers through the witch's familiar in order to influence the mortal realm. A select few draw power from more baleful origins, becoming darker and more powerful at great costs.

Class Skills: A Warlock adds Bluff, Disguise, and Knowledge (Religion) to their list of class skills and removes Heal, Knowledge (History), and Knowledge (Nature) from their list of class skills.

Diminished Spellcasting: A Warlock does not gain patron spells and gains one fewer spell of each level than normal. If this reduces the number to 0, they may cast spells of that level only if their Charisma allows bonus spells of that level.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A Warlock is proficient with all simple weapons. A Warlock is also proficient with light armor. They can cast witch spells while wearing light armor without incurring the normal arcane spell failure chance. Like any other arcane spellcaster, a Warlock wearing medium armor, heavy armor, or a shield incurs a chance of arcane spell failure if the spell in question has a somatic component. A multiclass Warlock still incurs the normal arcane spell failure chance for arcane spells received from other classes.

Eldritch Power: Unlike most witches whose magic is found through an intimate and mysterious bond with a patron, a Warlock uses their own force of personality to bargain with dark spirits. A Warlock uses Charisma instead of Intelligence when determining the highest level of spells they can cast, their spell save DC's, number of spells known at 1st level, and any effects of their hexes normally determined by Intelligence.

Eldritch Blast (Sp): The first ability a Warlock learns is eldritch blast. A Warlock attacks their foes with eldritch power, using baleful magical energy to deal damage and sometimes impart other debilitating effects.

An eldritch blast is a ray with a range of 60 feet. It is a ranged touch attack that affects a single target, allowing no saving throw. An eldritch blast deals 1d6 points of damage at 1st level, and increases by 1d6 every two witch levels thereafter. An eldritch blast is the equivalent of a spell whose level is equal to one-half the witch's class level, with a minimum spell level of 1st and a maximum of 9th when the warlock reaches 18th level or higher.

Eldritch blast is not a hex, but some hexes provide a Warlock with the ability to modify their eldritch blast or add new eldritch attacks. A Warlock can apply only one hex that modifies their eldritch blast at a time. If a Warlock targets a creature with an eldritch blast modified by a hex and the target has immunity to the hex's effect, it still takes the damage from the blast normally (provided it isn't also immune ot the eldritch blast).

Blast Focus (Su): At 2nd level, a Warlock is better able to control the malevolent energy they harness through their Eldritch Blast. The Warlock may use their Charisma modifier instead of their Dexterity modifier on attack rolls with their eldritch blast.

Starting at 4th level, a Warlock gains a +1 bonus on attack rolls and adds +1 damage to each damage dice of their eldritch blast. At 8th level, and every four witch levels thereafter, these bonuses increases by +1, to a maximum of +5 at 20th level.

These bonuses applies even if eldritch blast is modified by a hex. For example, at 10th level, a Warlock using brimstone blast (see below) gains +2 on the attack roll and deals 5d6+10 fire damage.

This ability replaces the witch’s hex gained at 2nd level.

Hexes: The following hexes complement the Warlock archetype: Charm, Disguise, Flight, Slumber, Tongues.
A Warlock can select the following hexes:

Brimstone Blast (Su): The Warlock can change their eldritch blast into a brimstone blast. A brimstone blast deals fire damage and causes the target to catch on fire (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/environment/environmental-rules#TOC-Catching-on-Fire) unless it succeeds on a Reflex save.

Concussive Blast (Su): The Warlock can change their eldritch blast into a concussive blast. A concussive blast deals sonic damage and causes the target to be deafened for a number or rounds equal to half the witch's level (minimum 1) unless it succeeds on a Fortitude save.

Dazzling Blast (Su): The Warlock can change their eldritch blast into a dazzling blast. A dazzling blast deals electric damage and causes the target to be blinded for a number or rounds equal to half the witch's level (minimum 1) unless it succeeds on a Fortitude save.

Frightful Blast (Su): The Warlock can change their eldritch blast into a frightful blast. A frightful blast causes the target to become shaken for a number of rounds equal to the witch's level unless it succeeds on a Will save. The blast cannot cause a creature to become frightened or panicked, even if the targets are already shaken from another effect. This is a mind-affecting fear effect. Whether or not the save is successful, a creature cannot be the target of a frightful blast again for 1 day. At 8th level, creatures effected become frightened instead.

Hellrime Blast (Su): The Warlock can change their eldritch blast into a hellrime blast. A hellrime blast deals cold damage and causes the target to become entangled for a number of rounds equal to half the witch's level (minimum 1) unless it succeeds on a Fortitude save.

Sickening Blast (Su): The Warlock can change their eldritch blast into a sickening blast. A sickening blast causes the target to become sickened for a number or rounds equal to the witch's level unless it succeeds on a Fortitude save. Whether or not the save is successful, a creature cannot be the target of a sickening blast again for 1 day.

Vitriolic Blast (Su): The Warlock can change their eldritch blast into a vitriolic blast. A vitriolic blast deals acid damage and causes the target to take acid damage equal to the witch's level at the start of its next turn unless it succeeds on a Reflex save.

Major Hexes: The following major hexes complement the Warlock archetype: Agony, Hag's Eye, Speak in Dreams, Vision, Weather Control.
A Warlock can select the following major hexes:

Bewitching Blast (Su): The Warlock can change their eldritch blast into a bewitching blast. A bewitching blast causes the target to become confused (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/conditions#TOC-Confused) for a number of rounds equal to the witch's level unless it succeeds on a Will save. Whether or not the save is successful, a creature cannot be the target of a bewitching blast again for 1 day.

Eldritch Cone (Su): The Warlock can change their eldritch blast into a eldritch cone. An eldritch cone deals the normal eldritch blast damage to all targets within a 30-foot cone. This is not a ray attack and requires no ranged touch attack, but any creature in the area can attempt a Reflex save for half damage.
Special: This hex can be used at the same time with any one other hex that modifies eldritch blast other than eldritch explosion or eldritch spear.

Eldritch Explosion (Su): The Warlock can change their eldritch blast into an eldritch explosion. An eldritch explosion deals the normal eldritch blast damage to all creatures in a 20-foot radius centered on the Warlock (other than the Warlock). This is not a ray attack and requires no ranged touch attack, but any creature in the area can attempt a Reflex save for half damage.
Special: This hex can be used at the same time with any one other hex that modifies eldritch blast other than eldritch cone or eldritch spear.

Eldritch Spear (Su): The Warlock can change their eldritch blast into a eldritch spear. An eldritch spear deals the normal eldritch blast damage to all creatures in a 120-foot line. This is not a ray attack and requires no ranged touch attack, but any creature in the area can attempt a Reflex save for half damage.
Special: This hex can be used at the same time with any one other hex that modifies eldritch blast other than eldritch cone or eldritch explosion.

Fiendish Resilience (Su): The Warlock can enter a state that speeds their metabolism and increases their vitality. While in this state, they gain fast healing 1. At 16th level, this improves to fast healing 2. The Warlock can maintain this state for a number of minutes per day equal to their level; these minutes do not need to be consecutive, but must be spent in 1-minute increments.

Fiendish Resistance (Su): The Warlock can enter a state that toughens their body with baleful power. While in this state, they gain their choice of DR 5/cold iron or energy resistance 10 to any of the following energy types: acid, cold, electricity, fire, and sonic. At 16th level, this amount doubles. The Warlock can maintain this state for 10 minutes per day per witch level; this time does not need to be consecutive, but must be spent in 10-minute increments.

Repelling Blast (Su): The Warlock can change their eldritch blast into a repelling blast. A repelling blast allows the Warlock to make a bull rush attempt against the target as part of the attack, using their caster level plus their Charisma modifier as their CMB. This combat maneuver check does not provoke an attack of opportunity. Whether or not the maneuver is successful, a creature cannot be the target of a repelling blast again for 1 day.

Grand Hexes: The following grand hexes complement the Warlock archetype: Death Curse, Forced Reincarnation, Natural Disaster, Summon Spirit.
A Warlock can select the following grand hexes:

Discorporating Blast (Su): The Warlock can change their eldritch blast into a discorporating blast. All damage from a discorporating blast is increased by half. If the target is reduced to 0 or fewer hit points by the attack, it is disintegrated (as the disintegrate spell). A successful Fortitude save negates this effect. Using this hex deals damage to the Warlock equal to twice their witch level; this damage cannot be lessened by damage reduction or any similar effect. This blast has no effect on objects.

Utterdark Blast (Su): The Warlock can change their eldritch blast into an utterdark blast. An utterdark blast deals negative energy damage and causes any creature struck by the attack to make a Fortitude save or gain a negative level. The negative level fades after 1 hour. This blast has no effect on undead creatures.

Notes:
This is meant to be a simple archetype that still gets the feel of the class.

Why Witch?
Since 3.5 gave the class at-will abilities, a witch's hexes were the easiest to work with; they're either at-will with limited times per target or relatively at-will (as much as is useful) for the witch.

I considered making a magus version since it already gets armored casting and a medium BAB and even came up with a way of mixing eldritch blast with spellstrike, but I didn't find magus arcana or spells sufficient to replicate invocations. I also played with the idea of a rogue archetype, switching sneak attack for eldritch blast and rogue talents with invocations, but it never panned out.

And, in the end, the flavor of witch and warlock just work too well together.

Class Abilities
Eldritch Blast is written to function exactly the same as in 3.5. Nothing fancy. I just updated a few terms to be Pathfinder equivalents.

Diminished Spellcasting is mostly there to 1. get rid of something for the archetype and 2. push the focus of the class away from regular spells and towards 'invocations' via hexes.

Other class abilities are built in. Armored Casting is just part of the proficiencies. Class Skills are simple to change. Detect Magic is just a Cantrip. Damage Reduction, Energy Resistance, and Fiendish Resilience all got put into time-limited hexes. Imbue Item is a basic thing that every spellcaster can do in Pathfinder.

Hexes
All the Warlock Hexes are designed around blast / shape invocations, updated to fit Pathfinder's power levels, and I used some metamagic feats as bases. My aim is to make them roughly on par with other hexes or slightly less powerful since they all incorporate eldritch blast damage.

The 'fiendish' hexes are just there if you really care about those abilities from Warlock.

I avoided making more at-will abilities since that's dangerous ground in terms of keeping balance and Witch already treads it a lot.

Ideally, between a few of the new hexes and a handful of the spell-replicating hexes already in the game, the feel of eldritch blast and invocations will be there.

If you have any helpful criticism or advice on how to make the class feel like the 3.5 version or points on power balance, please let me know.

Crustypeanut
2012-11-26, 08:57 PM
I like it! I may not be too familiar with how the Warlock plays in 3.5, having never got to test one, but I feel that this is a good conversion to Pathfinder. Heck, from what I can tell from reading on the original Warlock and this, is that its possibly more powerful than the standard Warlock, without being overpowered, due to the ability to cast actual spells, even if they get diminished spellcasting.

The one thing I 'might' change is decrease the number of Hexes this Warlock would get, as his first-level Hex, the Eldrich Blast, scales quite well compared to the other hexes, which do not scale on an every odd-level basis. Perhaps limit the Warlock to a new hex at 2nd level, 4th level, and then every 4th level afterwards? I'm also assuming that the Eldrich Blast takes the place of the 1st-level Hex, aye?

One other question that just came to mind - Are there any changes to the Witch's Familiar/Spellbook?

Rapidghoul
2012-11-26, 10:16 PM
I like it!
Huzzah!

The one thing I 'might' change is decrease the number of Hexes this Warlock would get, as his first-level Hex, the Eldrich Blast, scales quite well compared to the other hexes, which do not scale on an every odd-level basis. Perhaps limit the Warlock to a new hex at 2nd level, 4th level, and then every 4th level afterwards? I'm also assuming that the Eldrich Blast takes the place of the 1st-level Hex, aye?
No, actually. Early in the design I though of making Eldritch Blast a mandatory 1st-level Hex, but I realized 1. Hexes are (Su) while EB is a (Sp), and 2. a Warlock already gets more invocations than a Witch does hexes. A hex is basically a different version of an invocation - an almost-spell that works in weird ways.

Eldritch blast might seem like it scales well, but without any of the blast-hexes, you're limiting yourself to 10d6 damage to a single target that is subject to spell resistance by level 19. It's at will, but it's still a relatively low damage standard-action. It can be improved by other hexes, but that's basically the same as spending a feat (see Extra Hex) to give you more options.

So long story short, I didn't want to remove any hexes since eldritch blast really needs hex-support and I'm already removing a lot of spellcasting.

One other question that just came to mind - Are there any changes to the Witch's Familiar/Spellbook?
Not that I can think of. I did think about removing the familiar completely as part of the archetype, but I didn't think it was necessary. The benefits of the archetype - armored casting, eldritch blast, and the blast-hexes - are all at the cost of patron spells and diminished spellcasting. A Warlock could easily have a familiar and keep with the theme and flavor, and I try to make homebrews as simple as possible to encourage easy use. Messing with spells beyond something simple like fewer spells per day makes things wordy and complicated.

Amnoriath
2012-11-26, 11:09 PM
This is an attempt at updating Warlock from 3.5 to PF as an archetype and one of my many projects from my time working night shift with nothing to do. It's something I've toyed around with a lot, and I've gone through a number of permutations to get here. Warlock is a weird beast in that it lingers somewhere between witch and magus in terms of mechanics. It's not perfect, but I think it fits fairly well in representing the 3.5 class without getting too complicated.

Warlock [Witch]

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ca_gallery/85424.jpg
All witches gain their arcane energies from mysterious sources. Most of these patrons empart specialized powers through the witch's familiar in order to influence the mortal realm. A select few draw power from more baleful origins, becoming darker and more powerful at great costs.

Class Skills: A Warlock adds Bluff, Disguise, and Knowledge (Religion) to their list of class skills and removes Heal, Knowledge (History), and Knowledge (Nature) from their list of class skills.

Diminished Spellcasting: A Warlock does not gain patron spells and gains one fewer spell of each level than normal. If this reduces the number to 0, they may cast spells of that level only if their Charisma allows bonus spells of that level.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A Warlock is proficient with all simple weapons. A Warlock is also proficient with light armor. They can cast witch spells while wearing light armor without incurring the normal arcane spell failure chance. Like any other arcane spellcaster, a Warlock wearing medium armor, heavy armor, or a shield incurs a chance of arcane spell failure if the spell in question has a somatic component. A multiclass Warlock still incurs the normal arcane spell failure chance for arcane spells received from other classes.

Eldritch Power: Unlike most witches whose magic is found through an intimate and mysterious bond with a patron, a Warlock uses their own force of personality to bargain with dark spirits. A Warlock uses Charisma instead of Intelligence when determining the highest level of spells they can cast, their spell save DC's, number of spells known at 1st level, and any effects of their hexes normally determined by Intelligence.

Eldritch Blast (Sp): The first ability a Warlock learns is eldritch blast. A Warlock attacks their foes with eldritch power, using baleful magical energy to deal damage and sometimes impart other debilitating effects.

An eldritch blast is a ray with a range of 60 feet. It is a ranged touch attack that affects a single target, allowing no saving throw. An eldritch blast deals 1d6 points of damage at 1st level, and increases by 1d6 every two witch levels thereafter. An eldritch blast is the equivalent of a spell whose level is equal to one-half the witch's class level, with a minimum spell level of 1st and a maximum of 9th when the warlock reaches 18th level or higher.

Eldritch blast is not a hex, but some hexes provide a Warlock with the ability to modify their eldritch blast or add new eldritch attacks. A Warlock can apply only one hex that modifies their eldritch blast at a time. If a Warlock targets a creature with an eldritch blast modified by a hex and the target has immunity to the hex's effect, it still takes the damage from the blast normally (provided it isn't also immune ot the eldritch blast).

Hexes: The following hexes complement the Warlock archetype: Charm, Disguise, Flight, Slumber, Tongues.
A Warlock can select the following hexes:

Brimstone Blast (Su): The Warlock can change their eldritch blast into a brimstone blast. A brimstone blast deals fire damage and causes the target to catch on fire (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/environment/environmental-rules#TOC-Catching-on-Fire) unless it succeeds on a Reflex save.

Concussive Blast (Su): The Warlock can change their eldritch blast into a concussive blast. A concussive blast deals sonic damage and causes the target to be deafened for a number or rounds equal to half the witch's level (minimum 1) unless it succeeds on a Fortitude save.

Dazzling Blast (Su): The Warlock can change their eldritch blast into a dazzling blast. A dazzling blast deals electric damage and causes the target to be blinded for a number or rounds equal to half the witch's level (minimum 1) unless it succeeds on a Fortitude save.

Frightful Blast (Su): The Warlock can change their eldritch blast into a frightful blast. A frightful blast causes the target to become shaken for a number of rounds equal to the witch's level unless it succeeds on a Will save. The blast cannot cause a creature to become frightened or panicked, even if the targets are already shaken from another effect. This is a mind-affecting fear effect. Whether or not the save is successful, a creature cannot be the target of a frightful blast again for 1 day. At 8th level, creatures effected become frightened instead.

Hellrime Blast (Su): The Warlock can change their eldritch blast into a hellrime blast. A hellrime blast deals cold damage and causes the target to become entangled for a number of rounds equal to half the witch's level (minimum 1) unless it succeeds on a Fortitude save.

Sickening Blast (Su): The Warlock can change their eldritch blast into a sickening blast. A sickening blast causes the target to become sickened for a number or rounds equal to the witch's level unless it succeeds on a Fortitude save. Whether or not the save is successful, a creature cannot be the target of a sickening blast again for 1 day.

Vitriolic Blast (Su): The Warlock can change their eldritch blast into a vitriolic blast. A vitriolic blast deals acid damage and causes the target to take acid damage equal to the witch's level at the start of its next turn unless it succeeds on a Reflex save.

Major Hexes: The following major hexes complement the Warlock archetype: Agony, Hag's Eye, Speak in Dreams, Vision, Weather Control.
A Warlock can select the following major hexes:

Bewitching Blast (Su): The Warlock can change their eldritch blast into a bewitching blast. A bewitching blast causes the target to become confused (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/conditions#TOC-Confused) for a number of rounds equal to the witch's level unless it succeeds on a Will save. Whether or not the save is successful, a creature cannot be the target of a bewitching blast again for 1 day.

Eldritch Cone (Su): The Warlock can change their eldritch blast into a eldritch cone. An eldritch cone deals the normal eldritch blast damage to all targets within a 30-foot cone. This is not a ray attack and requires no ranged touch attack, but any creature in the area can attempt a Reflex save for half damage.
Special: This hex can be used at the same time with any one other hex that modifies eldritch blast other than eldritch explosion or eldritch spear.

Eldritch Explosion (Su): The Warlock can change their eldritch blast into an eldritch explosion. An eldritch explosion deals the normal eldritch blast damage to all creatures in a 20-foot radius centered on the Warlock (other than the Warlock). This is not a ray attack and requires no ranged touch attack, but any creature in the area can attempt a Reflex save for half damage.
Special: This hex can be used at the same time with any one other hex that modifies eldritch blast other than eldritch cone or eldritch spear.

Eldritch Spear (Su): The Warlock can change their eldritch blast into a eldritch spear. An eldritch spear deals the normal eldritch blast damage to all creatures in a 120-foot line. This is not a ray attack and requires no ranged touch attack, but any creature in the area can attempt a Reflex save for half damage.
Special: This hex can be used at the same time with any one other hex that modifies eldritch blast other than eldritch cone or eldritch explosion.

Fiendish Resilience (Su): The Warlock can enter a state that speeds their metabolism and increases their vitality. While in this state, they gain fast healing 1. At 16th level, this improves to fast healing 2. The Warlock can maintain this state for a number of minutes per day equal to their level; these minutes do not need to be consecutive, but must be spent in 1-minute increments.

Fiendish Resistance (Su): The Warlock can enter a state that toughens their body with baleful power. While in this state, they gain their choice of DR 5/cold iron or energy resistance 10 to any of the following energy types: acid, cold, electricity, fire, and sonic. At 16th level, this amount doubles. The Warlock can maintain this state for 10 minutes per day per witch level; this time does not need to be consecutive, but must be spent in 10-minute increments.

Repelling Blast (Su): The Warlock can change their eldritch blast into a repelling blast. A repelling blast allows the Warlock to make a bull rush attempt against the target as part of the attack, using their caster level plus their Charisma modifier as their CMB. This combat maneuver check does not provoke an attack of opportunity. Whether or not the maneuver is successful, a creature cannot be the target of a repelling blast again for 1 day.

Grand Hexes: The following grand hexes complement the Warlock archetype: Death Curse, Forced Reincarnation, Natural Disaster, Summon Spirit.
A Warlock can select the following grand hexes:

Discorporating Blast (Su): The Warlock can change their eldritch blast into a discorporating blast. A discorporating blast deals double the normal eldritch blast damage. If the target is reduced to 0 or fewer hit points by the attack, it is disintegrated (as the disinitegrate spell). A successful Fortitude damage halves the damage. Using this hex deals damage to the Warlock equal to twice their witch level; this damage cannot be lessened by damage reduction or any similar effect. This blast has no effect on objects.

Utterdark Blast (Su): The Warlock can change their eldritch blast into an utterdark blast. An utterdark blast deals negative energy damage and causes any creature struck by the attack to make a Fortitude save or gain a negative level. The negative level fades after 1 hour. This blast has no effect on undead creatures.

Notes:
This is meant to be a simple archetype that still gets the feel of the class.

Why Witch?
Since 3.5 gave the class at-will abilities, a witch's hexes were the easiest to work with; they're either at-will with limited times per target or relatively at-will (as much as is useful) for the witch.

I considered making a magus version since it already gets armored casting and a medium BAB and even came up with a way of mixing eldritch blast with spellstrike, but I didn't find magus arcana or spells sufficient to replicate invocations. I also played with the idea of a rogue archetype, switching sneak attack for eldritch blast and rogue talents with invocations, but it never panned out.

And, in the end, the flavor of witch and warlock just work too well together.

Class Abilities
Eldritch Blast is written to function exactly the same as in 3.5. Nothing fancy. I just updated a few terms to be Pathfinder equivalents.

Diminished Spellcasting is mostly there to 1. get rid of something for the archetype and 2. push the focus of the class away from regular spells and towards 'invocations' via hexes.

Other class abilities are built in. Armored Casting is just part of the proficiencies. Class Skills are simple to change. Detect Magic is just a Cantrip. Damage Reduction, Energy Resistance, and Fiendish Resilience all got put into time-limited hexes. Imbue Item is a basic thing that every spellcaster can do in Pathfinder.

Hexes
All the Warlock Hexes are designed around blast / shape invocations, updated to fit Pathfinder's power levels, and I used some metamagic feats as bases. My aim is to make them roughly on par with other hexes or slightly less powerful since they all incorporate eldritch blast damage.

The 'fiendish' hexes are just there if you really care about those abilities from Warlock.

I avoided making more at-will abilities since that's dangerous ground in terms of keeping balance and Witch already treads it a lot.

Ideally, between a few of the new hexes and a handful of the spell-replicating hexes already in the game, the feel of eldritch blast and invocations will be there.

If you have any helpful criticism or advice on how to make the class feel like the 3.5 version or points on power balance, please let me know.

Definitely better than the 3rd party version. You did indeed succeed in making a reapplied 3.5 warlock. However, many felt that the 3.5 warlock failed to apply itself in the broad sense of its flavor.

Ilorin Lorati
2012-11-26, 11:16 PM
Witch had a BAB of 1/2 to a Warlock's 3/4, making this class hit somewhat less with this conversion's version of the blast.

This class also has a bit more significant MAD than standard warlock; 3.5's warlock could get by with 14-16 Charisma (or even 10 or lower for specific builds) if they wanted to, while a full spellcaster like Witch will require at least 19, reducing the ability to take points in Dex.

As a whole, this means that this Eldritch Blast will end up significantly weaker overall than the 3.5 blast. While this isn't necessarily bad, I just felt like it needed to be pointed out.

Rapidghoul
2012-11-27, 12:48 AM
Definitely better than the 3rd party version. You did indeed succeed in making a reapplied 3.5 warlock. However, many felt that the 3.5 warlock failed to apply itself in the broad sense of its flavor.

You mean this one (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/adamant-entertainment/warlock)? Yeah, I liked the bit arcane school power stealing thing, but it felt really weak over all.

What do you mean by 'failed to apply itself in the broad sense of its flavor'? I guess I don't know what the broad sense of its flavor beyond tossing non-fire-fireballs around would be.

Witch had a BAB of 1/2 to a Warlock's 3/4, making this class hit somewhat less with this conversion's version of the blast.

This class also has a bit more significant MAD than standard warlock; 3.5's warlock could get by with 14-16 Charisma (or even 10 or lower for specific builds) if they wanted to, while a full spellcaster like Witch will require at least 19, reducing the ability to take points in Dex.

As a whole, this means that this Eldritch Blast will end up significantly weaker overall than the 3.5 blast. While this isn't necessarily bad, I just felt like it needed to be pointed out.

The BAB is the main reason I considered Magus as a base class instead of Witch. However, given that they're touch attacks, it's not as bad. Still, I agree that this makes it less reliable. As far as being MAD, yes and no. You need more Cha for it to work to full effect, but considering this is giving it full-caster ability, it's worth it. It's still only really needs two ability scores in Cha and Dex.

I considered letting Eldritch Heritage attacks use Cha instead of Dex or caster level instead of BAB. I'm hesitant to let it use caster level since that would double its attack, and other casters don't even get that ability. Cha instead of Dex might be doable. You'd still need some Dex, but with light armored casting you'd be fine with a reduced amount.

I also kind of want to pump up Eldritch Blast's damage a little to actually be potent; if the class is going to have any sort of focus on dealing damage, its signature ability should be able to stand up to snuff. I'm not sure how, though. Adding a bonus to the damage could be good, like 1d6+Cha/2 witch levels. Or I could increase the dice, either to 1d6/level to match spells or to increase the dice from d6's to d8's or d12's at higher levels.

Ilorin Lorati
2012-11-27, 04:25 PM
You could give them +1 to hit with their Blast per 4 levels, as another alternative to gain more or less the same effect as 3/4 BAB.

The damage is low, but not significantly. You could increase the damage die to 8, 10, and 12 as a minor, major, and grand hex respectively. Make them pay for gaining it.

As another note, for flavor purposes I'd limit their access to spells of the healing subschool and their access to the healing hexes; that would mean you're trading something major away instead of just one spell per spell level. That and Healing spells are a little out of place for this archetype.

Deviston
2012-11-27, 06:29 PM
I direct you (for ideas only, not trying to snatch your post) to this link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13806454#post13806454).

Amnoriath
2012-11-27, 06:44 PM
You mean this one (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/adamant-entertainment/warlock)? Yeah, I liked the bit arcane school power stealing thing, but it felt really weak over all.

What do you mean by 'failed to apply itself in the broad sense of its flavor'? I guess I don't know what the broad sense of its flavor beyond tossing non-fire-fireballs around would be.

Pathfinder Warlock, well not only was it lacking in power it had horrible flavor as why would a magically innate being have power based purely of school abilities?
3.5 Warlock, it had powers to suggest it was dark power of fiends but then had flavorful notes of also being of other creatures such as fey. Basically it gave the possibility of pacts or lineages of different creatures but only had "dark" powers while not being all that evil.

Rapidghoul
2012-11-29, 04:34 PM
I added Blast Focus, replacing the 2nd level hex, to increase the attack and damage for the blast. I had toyed with the idea of adding a bonus to attack every four levels, but I didn't decided to use it because I didn't feel it was a good solution. However, when Osagasu recommended it as well, I figured it wouldn't be a bad idea.

The damage boost makes it a lot more viable. At 20th level it's 10d6+50 (60-110 damage) instead of just 10d6 (10-60). Compare this to Polar Ray, an 8th level standard action ray spell with no saving throw that does not ignore SR, which deals 25d6 (25-150 damage) and 1d4 Dex drain.

I think this helps the damage output be respectable. It's a little stronger given that it's an at-will ability that has a few effects you can add to it, but 1. the effects all allow saves and 2. at that high of a level damage is rarely good enough to be worthwhile anyway.

Tarsten Corvus
2012-11-29, 11:42 PM
A Warlock adds Bluff, Disguise, and Knowledge (Religion) to their list of class skills and removes Heal, Knowledge (History), and Knowledge (Nature) from their list of class skills.

I can understand adding the Bluff, Disguise, and Knowledge's. But wouldnt a Warlock still need the History and Nature for the aspect of knowing where different spells and aspects of said Knowledge's come from? Or are you just trading it out for balance purposes?

Rapidghoul
2012-11-30, 02:43 PM
A Warlock adds Bluff, Disguise, and Knowledge (Religion) to their list of class skills and removes Heal, Knowledge (History), and Knowledge (Nature) from their list of class skills.

I can understand adding the Bluff, Disguise, and Knowledge's. But wouldnt a Warlock still need the History and Nature for the aspect of knowing where different spells and aspects of said Knowledge's come from? Or are you just trading it out for balance purposes?

I did this entirely to try to match 3.5's Warlock class skills. It didn't have those two knowledges or heal, so I dumped them. In terms of knowing where spells come from, arcana and planes really matter the most for this, and religion would give the whole demonic / devil thing. Nature would be good for the prospect of fey power... I dunno. I just did it for conversion sake.

Tarsten Corvus
2012-11-30, 03:18 PM
Basically wondering your reasoning and thank you. It is a great class. seems fairly balanced overall .