PDA

View Full Version : Thrown Weapons and Enchantments

Cranthis
2012-11-26, 10:18 PM
So, bows imbue their arrows with their enchantments. What about thrown weapons? Could I simply enchant my gloves with what I want, and starting tossing things? Or would I have to enchant every single weapon?

Edit: You can enchant 50 of a single ammunition with 1 enchantment. But what throwing weapons are ammunition, and which ones aren't? Like shurikens come in 5's and are considered ammunition, while darts are 5 silver each, but have to be bought separately so are they not considered ammunition for the sake of enchantment?

Chromascope3D
2012-11-26, 10:30 PM
Within the RAW, there are no magic items that give bonuses to throwing weapons (that I know of), generally meaning that you do have to enchant every piece of ammunition (consider getting the returning enchantment). However, I'm certain that, if you're reasonable enough, it shouldn't be too hard to convince your DM to let you create a wondrous item to do what you ask.

Of course, My knowledge of 3.5 is rather limited, so I don't know much that could help you there, but I'm fairly certain no such item exists in Pathfinder, if that helps at all.

Aegis013
2012-11-26, 10:31 PM
You have to enchant each thrown weapon individually. In niche cases like darts, consult your DM, but I think they would default to not being ammunition.

If you take four levels of the Bloodstorm Blade PrC from Tome of Battle, you only need one thrown weapon though.

TuggyNE
2012-11-26, 10:36 PM
So, bows imbue their arrows with their enchantments. What about thrown weapons? Could I simply enchant my gloves with what I want, and starting tossing things? Or would I have to enchant every single weapon?

Not that I know of without either seriously custom magic items or Frostburn's atlatl (?), which functions as a launcher for spears. As far as I know even the gloves of endless javelins aren't automatically weapon-enhance-able, though they give +1 force javelins.

Edit: You can enchant 50 of a single ammunition with 1 enchantment. But what throwing weapons are ammunition, and which ones aren't? Like shurikens come in 5's and are considered ammunition, while darts are 5 silver each, but have to be bought separately so are they not considered ammunition for the sake of enchantment?

Thrown weapons aren't considered ammunition unless they say they are, so basically just shuriken, at least in core. (Note, though, that by counting as ammunition they also become breakable on a hit or half the time on a miss. No free lunch here.)

Edit: so many shuriken-throwing ninjas! :smalltongue:

Jeraa
2012-11-26, 10:37 PM

In the core rules, the only thrown weapon treated as ammunition are shuriken. There may be some in other books. Thrown weapons that are treated as ammunition will all specifically say that, like the entry for shuriken does.

Although they are thrown weapons, shuriken are treated as ammunition for the purposes of drawing them, crafting masterwork or otherwise special versions of them and what happens to them after they are thrown.

Darrin
2012-11-27, 06:48 AM
Within the RAW, there are no magic items that give bonuses to throwing weapons (that I know of), generally meaning that you do have to enchant every piece of ammunition (consider getting the returning enchantment).

There are a couple examples in the MIC:

Gauntlets of Throwing (2000 GP, MIC). Grants any one melee weapon you hold the Throwing and Returning properties. I believe this item is based on the Glove of Taarnahm the Vigilant (10000 GP, PGtF), which allows the wielder to hurl *any* melee weapon as though it has the Throwing and Returning properties (with unlimited uses).

Bracers of Lightning (11000 GP, MIC). Swift action to activate, and all of your melee and ranged attacks gain the Shock property.

Given those two examples, I have no idea how you'd price such abilities on a custom magic item.