PDA

View Full Version : The Fey Corgi! [D&D 5e/Next conversion]

sournote103
2012-11-26, 10:52 PM
So the fey corgi (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_2SLq5ubrbls/S4fhe80KntI/AAAAAAAAAkc/82eYz4lf1MA/s1600-h/Fey_corgi.jpg) is basically the best thing ever, and that's really all there is to say on that matter.
Thus, I decided to convert it to a format compatible with the newest version of the D&D 5e/Next playtest (as of November 26, 2012, anyway). So here it is:

Fey Corgi
Fey corgis are a playful and adventurous race. They are often found in the company of other races, particularly humans, and as such have little in the way of any distinct culture of their own.

Insatiably Curious
Fey corgis are exceedingly energetic and are not prone to over-think anything; in many cases, fey corgis will find themselves in trouble because of their inquisitiveness.

Small and Fuzzy
Fey corgis may be as short as two and a half feet tall, and may grow to be just over three feet tall, and usually weigh between 30 and 38 pounds. Their fur is usually neither particularly thick nor particularly thin, but lends the appearance of being very fluffy. It may be of any number of colors, with browns and black being common, and with multiple colors being almost universally present.

Make Friends
Fey corgis are exceedingly friendly, and most other races find it very difficult not to give in to their charms. As fey corgis have no real culture of their own, they integrate themselves into other societies very easily, and fit in very quickly.

Farms and Cities
Fey corgis make their homes wherever there are other people, but are most often found in small farming villages where their natural talents in herding animals may be put to use or in large cities where they can constantly interact with new people and experience new things.

Cultural Details

Alignment: Fey corgis of any alignment may be found, but they tend to avoid neutrality, and very few tend toward evil.
Religion: As with all aspects of life, fey corgis are largely shaped by those who live around them, but they often find an attraction to Avandra, Erathis, or Pelor.
Language: Fey corgis learn common so that they may interact with as many other races as they can. In addition, they can naturally communicate by barking, being that they are still dogs.
Names: Fey corgis often name their children based on the traditions of other races around them. Some also take to giving their young names typical of unintelligent dogs, though this practice is rather uncommon.

Adventuring Fey Corgis
Fey corgis are naturally drawn to a life of adventure, as it fulfills their need for excitement and new things. While fey corgi adventurers are still rare, a much higher proportion of fey corgis than most other races become adventurers.

Traits
As a fey corgi, you have the following racial traits.

Size: Small. As a Small creature, you cannot use heavy weapons
Speed: 30 feet.
Low-Light Vision: If there is no light within 30 feet of you, you treat shadows in that radius as normal light, and you treat darkness in that radius as shadows.
Natural Weapons: You have a natural bite attack that does 1d4 piercing damage.
Big Ears: You are trained in the Listen skill.
Keen Senses: You have advantage on checks to detect hidden creatures and to track or identify creatures by scent.
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common and Canine.
Subrace: Choose a subrace. Two subraces are described here: herding corgi and sociable corgi.

Herding Corgi
Herding corgis are those descended from farmers. Fey corgis often put their natural abilities to work herding farm animals, and as such some have adapted to this lifestyle.

Ability Score Adjustment: Your starting Dexterity score increases by 1.
Energetic: You have advantage when determining Initiative.

Sociable Corgi
Sociable corgis are those whose ancestors abandoned a life of farming for a mercantile or political career. They use their natural charms to their advantage and can become master manipulators.

Ability Score Adjustment: Your starting Charisma score increases by 1.
Adorable: You have advantage on Persuade and Bluff checks.

Please feel free to offer suggestions on balancing this and/or improving the names of the traits, fluff sections, and sub-races because I am awful at naming things.

vasharanpaladin
2012-11-28, 12:40 AM
I want to criticize this. I really do. But I'm a dog person. :smallfrown:

sournote103
2012-11-28, 07:36 AM
Well, it's probably not perfectly balanced yet, so I'd love to hear any ideas you have on that front.

Debihuman
2012-11-28, 08:45 AM
I know nothing about 5e, but these look like a fun anthropomorphic race.

Debby

Tanuki Tales
2012-11-28, 12:19 PM
I know nothing about 5e, but these look like a fun anthropomorphic race.

Debby

I agree with Debby.

Ex0dus_Begins
2017-01-13, 01:00 AM
Please feel free to offer suggestions on balancing this and/or improving the names of the traits, fluff sections, and sub-races because I am awful at naming things.

Ability Modifier: Dex +2, Cha 1
Dark Vision: 60'.
Natural Weapons: Prof, Bite 1d4
Keen Senses: Prof in perception.
Adorable: Prof in Persuasion.
Energetic: Adv on initiative.
Heeler: Advantage on push/grapple checks on creatures larger than you.