PDA

View Full Version : AVB - The Flinging One

Rizban
2012-11-26, 11:26 PM
This is a private thread for Slii Arhem and GM(s) only. If you read it, you will be arrested and fed to the beavers.

The shop is stocked primarily with spices and fragrant woods, oils and extracts, and a number of curiously carved statuettes. The man speaks without even looking up.

"If you're looking for her, you'll need to try the main office over on Pier 2. This is just the retail location."

Slii Arhem
2012-11-26, 11:52 PM
Daniel scratches at his stubble, contemplating shaving soon, "The pier eh? I'll have to remember that for the morning. Just got here, and I was hoping to take care of some business before I found a bed for the night, but I can see about heading down there first thing instead. You got anything among your stock that'll make trail rations edible? Been all I've eaten since the last time I saw a city, and unless I come into some work it'll be all I'm going to eat for a while, so anything to change the taste would be worth some of what I've got left." He peers a bit more closely at the spices, not really recognizing anything in particular on sight.

Rizban
2012-11-27, 12:50 AM
"Maybe."

He waves absently at the spice rack then turns the page in his book and continues reading.

Slii Arhem
2012-11-27, 11:16 AM
"Helpful bugger aren't you?" Daniel mutters under his breath before walking over to inspect the spice rack. He's not looking for anything particularly expensive, just some salt or dried herbs that might taste a bit more strong than "bland" and he can stretch out over a week or more of meals.

Rizban
2012-11-27, 12:42 PM
The first row of jars contain labels indicating that the jars hold:

Truffle Salt
Fennel Pollen
Asafetida
Urfa Biber
Sumac
Amchur Powder
Machalepi

There are three more rows below these. The spices don't seem to have any sort of organization to them...

Slii Arhem
2012-11-27, 01:01 PM
Right, an import store like this would stock mostly fancy stuff he'd never heard of. Still, Daniel knows salt when he sees it, and will grab an ounce container* of the truffle salt and bring it to the counter, "Just this then. How much?" He asks lightly, tipping his hat up higher on his head so that the counter jockey can look into his eyes if he'd take a moment to stop staring at his bedeviled book for one instant.

*Assuming there are containers available to measure it out into.

Rizban
2012-11-27, 01:29 PM
He glances at the small container then goes back to his book.

"10 gold."

Slii Arhem
2012-11-27, 02:13 PM
Daniel shakes his head, not worth it when normal salt cost about four silvers for the same amount in the last town he passed through. He reaches into his pack and draws out a single silver coin, placing it on the counter with a loud thunk.

"For the information and the sale you just lost. Enjoy your book." He heads for the door, leaving the container of salt where he placed it. He'd been swindled into buying expensive items when he didn't need them before, but if the only salesman in there wasn't going to put in the least amount of effort then there's no draw to buy something so frivolous. It'd leave a worse taste in his mouth to convince himself to buy it than it would to eat bland rations for another month.

He'll head for the Flint then, and a room. At least those are nearly always worth the price after sleeping in a bedroll for a few weeks.

Rizban
2012-11-27, 02:38 PM
He shrugs and leaves the coin where it is.

"It's worth more than that. Made from rare mushrooms of the finest variety. Suit yourself though."

He never even looks up.

1The interior of the Sad Flint is quite crowded. People are coming and going all over the rather large barroom. Patrons of any possible description abound, most content to drink the beers in their hands. No one bothers to turn their head when yet another patron walks in. The atmosphere of the place is slightly dingy, but comfortable.

A lone half-giant is serving as the bartender at the long bar across from the entrance. Round tables with an average of four chairs each litter the common area, although several have borrowed chairs from others nearby. More than half of them seem occupied by patrons of some description and number. A pair of armored bouncers guard a double door along the west wall.

Barmaids of many different races weave in and out of the traffic, delivering food and drinks, as well as picking up empty crockery and more than a few pick-up lines.

Slii Arhem
2012-11-27, 03:52 PM
Daniel smiles, for once, and does a mental tally of the coins in his pack. Far too few really, but maybe enough to get another lead if this one doesn't turn out.

"Alright gals and blokes, who wants a pint? All it'll cost you is a tale or two, and all it'll cost me is my day's wages." Daniel puts on a cheerful grin as he walks up to the bar, pulling out two gold coins from under the hem of his glove and rubbing them together before slapping them on the counter and covering them with his palm. He turns to look over the patrons with a nod and a wink.

"Who's first then?"

Gather Information: [roll0]

A couple of questions as well. What denomination of coins is Daniel going to have to pay in for the drinks, so I know what to mark off his money. If it's silver, he'll probably be fine for paying for a few rounds, but if it's gold he'll be more tight with his money as the night goes on.

Also, I happen to know Harnel personally, so I know he's due for posting soon in the Streets thread. Do you have anything against him and I teaming up in character and plotting over a chat program? If you'd rather our team-up and plotting happen where you can see it, I'll understand. :smalltongue: We both figure that our odds of survival are mildly better paired up, so I thought I'd propose it now so you don't feel like I'm going behind your back on it.

If the conversation he hopes to spark goes well, Daniel will try to steer it towards new arrivals in the city and other information that might get him somewhere. New people means new opportunities, and people coming to a city like this one don't do so on a whim. They've got motivations, and motivations will mean secrets to sniff out one way or another.

Rizban
2012-11-28, 12:14 AM
A few heads turn as you speak, but it's too noisy for most to even hear you. Those that do hear you go back to their conversations, their food, or their drink. The guy next to you at the bar perks up until he sees the two coins and promptly starts to ignore you.

The barkeep looks at you derisively and says, "You gonna order something or just put on a show?"

You're going to have to meet in character before you can do a team up.

Slii Arhem
2012-11-28, 11:08 AM
"Well, I suppose I would if anyone around here had a tale to sell me, but if that's the kind of reception I get then I suppose I'd best just get a room and a pitcher of mead for myself then. How much would I owe you?" Daniel grumbles, trying not to take out his disappointment on the bartender. If this was going to be his kind of luck everywhere he went then perhaps he'd be better off going nowhere for the night.

That's fine. Do you mind if I bring Daniel back out into the Streets thread so a meeting can happen?

Rizban
2012-11-28, 11:55 AM
Yes. You can always post in the City Streets, assuming your character is in a position where he can currently go to the Plaza.He looks at you a second then says, "Five gold a night."

Slii Arhem
2012-11-28, 12:30 PM
"Fine by me. What about that pitcher?"Daniel asks smoothly, cringing internally. Eight days or less before he'd have to pitch a tent in an alley somewhere. Not really the best margin for error he'd ever started out with.

Next post will probably be in the streets thread in the Flint then, assuming Daniel can get his pitcher of mead and room without hassle.

Rizban
2012-11-28, 12:32 PM
"You want a whole pitcher, that'll be 3 gold for the cheap stuff, 6 for the good. 11 gold for the best mead we got."

Slii Arhem
2012-11-28, 12:50 PM
"So long as the cheap stuff will still get me twinkled, it'll do fine. Eight gold then." Daniel reaches into his pack and withdraws six more coins, adding them to the two already on the counter.

Rizban
2012-11-28, 02:21 PM
He sets down the pitcher then pulls a crystal disk out from under the counter.

"Put your hand on this."

Slii Arhem
2012-11-28, 02:52 PM
Daniel does as asked, peering at the disk curious for the few moments before he covers it with his palm.

Rizban
2012-11-28, 11:37 PM
The disk glows briefly. He picks it up and puts it back under the counter while motioning to the stairs with his other hand.

"You're on the second floor. Room 233."

Slii Arhem
2012-11-29, 11:53 AM
"Right, I'll remember that. For now, I'll just nurse this until the sun goes down. Cheers. Daniel goes to find an empty table to sit and soak in his misfortunes at.

Rizban
2012-11-29, 12:30 PM
He finds an empty table. His misfortunes are soaked.