PDA

View Full Version : Selling your soul

Sudain
2012-11-27, 12:01 AM
I found 2 ways to sell your soul in dnd so far. The pacts in Fiendish Codex 2 and directly via monsters in the MMI. Glabrezu(http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/demon.htm#glabrezu) seems the most likely to do this "Wish for a soul" deal.

The pacts in Fiendish codex seem like a bum-deal honestly. Best I can see is getting 1-2 feats out of the deal working towards Initiate of the 7 fold veil... which he would only care about after stewing on the sale for a while so he wouldn't choose those. :/ So that wouldn't make sense in character.

Getting a full wish out of a Glabrezu seems like a much better use of a soul and would constitute a better deal for me. And it would provide a plot hook(that need not wait till 20th level) for me or the DM to fight over my soul.

Once per month, a glabrezu can fulfill a wish for a mortal humanoid. The demon can use this ability to offer a mortal whatever he or she desires—but unless the wish is used to create pain and suffering in the world, the glabrezu demands either terrible evil acts or great sacrifice as compensation

I'm trying to make a character(wizard) who's sold his soul, and is having doubts about it. Intending on retrieving it he studies and binds devils while focusing in abjuration for when the devil decides to collect.

Anything I missed?

Kelb_Panthera
2012-11-27, 10:39 AM
Glabrezu are demons. Selling your soul to them isn't covered in the pact primeval, so there's nothing at all to stop the creature from collecting on the spot by tearing your head off. Assuming, of course, that he actually can collect your soul should you choose to "sell" it to him.

Also note that there are devils with wish as a spell-like. Trading your soul to one of them in a faustian pact in return for the effect of a wish is probably a safer way to play it. All you've got to do is have a desireable soul.

What would you wish for anyway? Is there a reason the more standard faustian pact rewards aren't enough?

Sudain
2012-11-27, 10:57 AM
The only devil(lawful evil versus chaotic) is a pit fiend.(CR 20 versus cr 13 and the number of times they can do wish is different). Was that the devil you were thinking of?

I hadn't figured out what I would wish for yet. I was thinking going for the 25000gp item(+5 cloak of resistance) or something similar in price(I don't want to push more than 27.5k). I feel like like I am going to get screwed on GP and xp for 'not attending' because I choose to maintain a life outside of dnd. Something that would help carry me though the power gap that's going to arise. On an RP note the cloak would be a constant reminder of the sale.

The pacts: 60% of lvl 7 wbl or feats don't seem to add up to make it worth my while if I could get a standard wish.

docnessuno
2012-11-27, 11:00 AM
Pazuzu
Pazuzu
Pazuzu

Fiendish Codex 1

Sudain
2012-11-27, 11:25 AM
Erhh, hurm... alright. I missed him. :) Thanks.

Since we are restricted on books(I only get to put 2 into the pool) I'm hoping I can get away with the pit fiend or Gleburzu so I can use my 2nd for the eberon campain setting(for the crafting feats)

Amidus Drexel
2012-11-27, 06:36 PM
You can sell your soul to an elder evil, too. (From Elder Evils, pg 10).

It's a better deal than your typical Faustian pact, especially if you're higher-level.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-11-27, 09:17 PM
I don't have enough info about your character or your campaign to make a better suggestion, but a cloak of resistance seems like a real waste of a wish.

Do recall that faustian pacts can get non-standard rewards via DM fiat. Since you're sticking this in your character's backstory anyway it shouldn't be much of a stretch to get a specific item, though I'd really think you would want to shoot for something snazzier than a cloak of resistance.

On a personal note, I'd much rather deal with the pit-fiend than the glabrezu. At least with a devil you have some idea where you stand.

lunar2
2012-11-28, 12:19 AM
actually, it's devils that tend to kill you right after selling your soul, to make sure you can't be redeemed. even though that makes absolutely no sense, of course, since then no one would make a deal with a devil.

herrhauptmann
2012-11-28, 10:17 AM
actually, it's devils that tend to kill you right after selling your soul, to make sure you can't be redeemed. even though that makes absolutely no sense, of course, since then no one would make a deal with a devil.

Well a devil will at least stick to the letter of the agreement. If teh devil says he won't take your life until you utter a certain phrase, you're safe until you say it. Of course, he might arrange things to ensure you utter it sooner rather than later.
A demon might make the agreement, then 5 minutes later come and rip off your head, then floss with your spine. Because he's you know, chaotic, and generally will do anything he wants unless prevented by force or threat of force.

Sudain
2012-11-28, 10:26 AM
I don't have enough info about your character or your campaign to make a better suggestion, but a cloak of resistance seems like a real waste of a wish.

Do recall that faustian pacts can get non-standard rewards via DM fiat. Since you're sticking this in your character's backstory anyway it shouldn't be much of a stretch to get a specific item, though I'd really think you would want to shoot for something snazzier than a cloak of resistance.

On a personal note, I'd much rather deal with the pit-fiend than the glabrezu. At least with a devil you have some idea where you stand.

Maybe I'm not thinking large enough. :) The wizard will be part battle field control, part utility, and actively divining. Banned schools: Necromancy, Illusion, Transmutation. I banned those three so I could keep enchantment for the planar bindings I plan on using. I'm thinking either focused Conjuor or focused Abjurer. I haven't finalized a spell list yet.

I haven't started on equipment yet(spell list first). Since he's got such a focus on abjuration it kinda felt like he would ask for a defensive item RP wise - though another tool could make a lot of sense as well(Only realized he needs to focus on abjuration after getting what he asked for). The cloak seemed like it would help shore up my poor saves so I could live, since you know death has higher stakes than normal. I plan on looking into items in the MIC that are based off immediate actions and things that re-roll dice(fatespinner spin-off). Beyond that possibly getting items crafted that require specific alignments to use.

This would be set in sandstorm as part of a team searching for an artifact. More than that I have not been told.

Still waiting on the DM to okay the idea of selling my soul and getting a wish out of it. *le sigh*

jedipilot24
2012-11-28, 11:08 AM
Be a warlock; the whole 'sold my soul for power' fits right in with their fluff. Make it part of your backstory and go from there.

I highly recommend reading the SilverClawShift Campaign archives, in particular the second adventure. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116836

Kasbark
2012-11-28, 11:36 AM
There is a devil in one of the pathfinder beastiary 3 called a contract devil - that one has rules for selling your soul to it.

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/bestiary3/devil.html

You could use those rules for selling your soul to any major evil entity, such as a god or other devil - provided your DM permits you to do so :)

lunar2
2012-11-28, 12:07 PM
Well a devil will at least stick to the letter of the agreement. If teh devil says he won't take your life until you utter a certain phrase, you're safe until you say it. Of course, he might arrange things to ensure you utter it sooner rather than later.
A demon might make the agreement, then 5 minutes later come and rip off your head, then floss with your spine. Because he's you know, chaotic, and generally will do anything he wants unless prevented by force or threat of force.

yes, he will do anything he wants. but that high intelligence and wisdom means he generally won't want to grant a wish and then kill. since he doesn't actually have authority over your soul, his best bet to get you is to keep feeding you wishes for increasingly horrible deeds, corrupting you with power until you become CE yourself. eventually, he'll get you to agree to a possession, and then he's got you.

see, being CE doesn't prevent you from making plans, nor does it force you to act contrary to your own interests. that's not chaotic evil, it's chaotic stupid, which demons are not.a glabrezu will continue to milk a willing humanoid for as long as he can, because he's smart enough to know that it might be a while before he gets another servant. devil's just want your soul, and so they kill you as soon as they can get it.

MesiDoomstalker
2012-11-28, 01:40 PM
yes, he will do anything he wants. but that high intelligence and wisdom means he generally won't want to grant a wish and then kill. since he doesn't actually have authority over your soul, his best bet to get you is to keep feeding you wishes for increasingly horrible deeds, corrupting you with power until you become CE yourself. eventually, he'll get you to agree to a possession, and then he's got you.

see, being CE doesn't prevent you from making plans, nor does it force you to act contrary to your own interests. that's not chaotic evil, it's chaotic stupid, which demons are not.a glabrezu will continue to milk a willing humanoid for as long as he can, because he's smart enough to know that it might be a while before he gets another servant. devil's just want your soul, and so they kill you as soon as they can get it.

I remember reading in one of the books that talk about demon binding that adding a clause about not killing you to a contract with a demon is to be expected, demons are genuinely surprised when no such clause exists (and promptly take advantage of it). However, it should be noted there is no way to fool a devil into "the perfect contract" that they can't warp or hurt you or otherwise avoid the badstuff. If you presented such a contract to a Devil, he'd say "LOL! No." Part of being a contract requires agreement on both parts.

Sudain
2012-11-28, 05:22 PM
Yea the warlock fluff does fit right in but I've got a nice build that the warlock can't pull off. And this is more of a 'Oh god... I've been flirting with the devil under pale moonlight. It has my number, knows where I live... Well, might as well invite it over for the barbecue and figure out how I can use it to commit robbery and frame it to take the fall.' type personality than reveling the power.

Buufreak
2018-09-03, 11:48 PM
Old thread is old, and thread necromancy is frowned on.

Calthropstu
2018-09-04, 12:06 AM
Old thread is old, and thread necromancy is frowned on.

Arise. Arise thread zombie and do my homework bidding.

Edit: A second look reveals it is a bot opening threads long dead. Reported as spam.

OgresAreCute
2018-09-04, 03:13 AM
Arise. Arise thread zombie and do my homework bidding.

Edit: A second look reveals it is a bot opening threads long dead. Reported as spam.

What kind of person makes a real estate spambot and then puts in a Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 edition forum?

Crake
2018-09-04, 06:48 AM
What kind of person makes a real estate spambot and then puts in a Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 edition forum?

I believe it was crawling forums and was attracted by the recent thread about buying property in a pathfinder setting, that's where I saw it post first.

Buufreak
2018-09-04, 12:15 PM

That's a thing?! Who the hell does that? Gods, humanity sickens me.