PDA

View Full Version : Knowledge Devotion is very aptly named...

odigity
2012-11-27, 12:30 AM
...in a metagame sense. It's certainly made everyone more devoted to Knowledge skills. :)

DemonRoach
2012-11-27, 12:32 AM
...in a metagame sense. It's certainly made everyone more devoted to Knowledge skills. :)

That can be applied in an In Character sense too (Hmm...I'm much better at killing creatures I actually know of....I should find out about more creatures in case I have to battle them) :smalltongue:

Aegis013
2012-11-27, 03:07 AM
That can be applied in an In Character sense too (Hmm...I'm much better at killing creatures defeating pokemon I actually know of that I have information on in my pokedex....I should find out about more creatures a way to add more pokemon in case I have to battle them) :smalltongue:

Know the pokedex, love the pokedex, BE the pokedex.

MesiDoomstalker
2012-11-27, 03:11 AM
Know the pokedex, love the pokedex, BE the pokedex.

Or you could be a Researcher (http://pokemontabletop.wikidot.com/researcher).

odigity
2012-11-27, 05:39 AM
WTF? Why are pokeman trying to take over this thread?

That can be applied in an In Character sense too (Hmm...I'm much better at killing creatures I actually know of....I should find out about more creatures in case I have to battle them) :smalltongue:

Our Ranger is getting it. It fits thematicly very well with Favored Enemy, I think -- both grant combat bonuses for understanding your enemy. And he needs good Int for Combat Expertise anyway.

My Conjurer has high Int and crazy high Knowledge ranks across the board, but no room for an extra feat and little need for attack and especially damage bonuses for conventional combat.

odigity
2012-11-27, 06:17 AM
More on the topic...

If you have Knowledge Devotion and/or Power Attack feats in the party, would it make sense to keep a journal of monsters the party has encountered, and when they are encountered again, asking the DM for a +2 circumstance bonus on Knowledge checks for Knowledge Devotion? Or even straight-up asking for the HP/AC for PA-calculations? (Perhaps with a +/- 1 margin of error.)

You could always just check the MM, but I like the idea of playing strict separation of player/character knowledge.

White_Drake
2012-11-27, 07:45 AM
Why wouldn't you just record all of that data in the journal? It would still keep PC/P knowledge separate, and you could reference it whenever you wanted. It isn't unrealistic for a character to record how difficult something was to hit/kill, and you could put the stats in parentheses.

Big Fau
2012-11-27, 12:44 PM
WTF? Why are pokeman trying to take over this thread?

It's a joke about the masterwork Knowledge tools (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#toolMasterwork). Combine them into a single item (costing roughly 300gp, so no small price for your average commoner), and you have a Pokedex.

Flickerdart
2012-11-27, 01:36 PM
It's a joke about the masterwork Knowledge tools (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#toolMasterwork). Combine them into a single item (costing roughly 300gp, so no small price for your average commoner), and you have a Pokedex.
A book (or a manual, if you will) containing monsters that adventurers fight, huh. I wonder what we could call that.

odigity
2012-11-27, 02:04 PM
A book (or a manual, if you will) containing monsters that adventurers fight, huh. I wonder what we could call that.

Assembling an in-game monster manual could be a great motivation for a char with the Knowledge Devotion feat, especially a Cloistered Cleric. Good reason to spend your life adventuring. Would also fit well with some of the Paragnostic Assembly types, or that traveler's guild.

MesiDoomstalker
2012-11-27, 05:59 PM

Mondex. But you'd probably have to modify a Blessed Book in order to create it in a manageable size. Just the 5 MMs would be a very unyielding book.