PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Swarms and Distraction

VeGaS1986
2012-11-27, 01:43 PM
In the individual monster entries their Distanction ability lists a DC, but when you go to check the Swarm type, it lists Distraction as being DC 20+ spell level, and a DC 20 Will save for non spell concentration.

This is from a third printing of the first Beastiary.

I couldnt get any hits while googling this question, which kinda puzzles me, since theres quite a difference between casting a level 3 spell inside a bat swarm, (DC 11 vs DC 23) depending on how you use it.

Now admittedly, given that all swarms have their own speficied DC its probably that which is correct, but putting those specific numbers under the Swarm type seems like a pretty huge oversight that someone should have asked about previously.

What do you think?

Andreaz
2012-11-27, 01:46 PM
Distraction DC is 10 + half of the swarm's hit dice + their CON modifier. Those who fail a fortitude save with that DC are nauseated for the round.

I am not aware of a "Distraction" spell, nor would I assume they are the same thing unless one states otherwise.

Starbuck_II
2012-11-27, 02:44 PM
In the individual monster entries their Distanction ability lists a DC, but when you go to check the Swarm type, it lists Distraction as being DC 20+ spell level, and a DC 20 Will save for non spell concentration.

This is from a third printing of the first Beastiary.

I couldnt get any hits while googling this question, which kinda puzzles me, since theres quite a difference between casting a level 3 spell inside a bat swarm, (DC 11 vs DC 23) depending on how you use it.

Now admittedly, given that all swarms have their own speficied DC its probably that which is correct, but putting those specific numbers under the Swarm type seems like a pretty huge oversight that someone should have asked about previously.

What do you think?

You are confusing Distraction effect with casting a spell while distracted?

See a bat Swarm has an ability called distraction: nauseate the creatures that it damages. If you fail, you can't cast any spell (except free/immediate action spells) as nauseate condition denies Standard action.

Additionally, even if you succeed on the save you have trouble casting: Spellcasting or concentrating on spells within the area of a swarm requires a caster level check (DC 20 + spell level). Using skills that involve patience and concentration requires a DC 20 Will save.

You are affected by both affects. One for being damaged (Distraction rules) and one for casting near a swarm (concentration rules)

jmelesky
2012-11-27, 03:03 PM
See a bat Swarm has an ability called distraction: nauseate the creatures that it damages. If you fail, you can't cast any spell (except free/immediate action spells) as nauseate condition denies Standard action.

I agree with your assessment, but disagree about the free/immediate action spells. Nauseated specifically states "Nauseated creatures are unable to attack, cast spells, concentrate on spells, or do anything else requiring attention", which would prevent any casting, regardless of action type.