PDA

View Full Version : Warlock/Binder/Hellfire Warlock Question

Noedig
2012-11-27, 06:20 PM
So a player of mine and I have run into a bit of a snafu in regards to the Hellfire Warlock PrC in Fiend Folio II. His targeted build is: Warlock 8/Binder 1/Hellfire Warlock 3/Warlock X.

It specifically states that:

At each level, you gain new invocations known, increased damage with eldritch blast, and an increase in invoker level as if you had also gained a level in the warlock class. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained.

Now the main question we have is this: The warlock loses a level of progression in the warlock class because of Binder. He gains 3 from Hellfire Warlock due to +1 level of invoking class. This effectively puts his warlock at the equivalent of Warlock 11, but he gets none of the other juicy features from 9, 10, 11. At level 12, the level in which he takes another level Warlock, what happens? Does he get Imbue Item, and then all the other features later on?

Some clarification would be greatly appreciated, and please correct me on any/all of my assumptions if I am incorrect.

Thank you! :smallsmile:

Psyren
2012-11-27, 06:44 PM
The passage simply means that - when it comes to everything that is not eldritch blast damage, caster level or invocations, you are treated as a Warlock 8. This means that, after finishing HFW, you'll actually need 4 more Warlock levels (not 1) to get to Imbue Item.

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-11-27, 07:51 PM
So a player of mine and I have run into a bit of a snafu in regards to the Hellfire Warlock PrC in Fiend Folio II. His targeted build is: Warlock 8/Binder 1/Hellfire Warlock 3/Warlock X.

It specifically states that:

Now the main question we have is this: The warlock loses a level of progression in the warlock class because of Binder. He gains 3 from Hellfire Warlock due to +1 level of invoking class. This effectively puts his warlock at the equivalent of Warlock 11, but he gets none of the other juicy features from 9, 10, 11. At level 12, the level in which he takes another level Warlock, what happens? Does he get Imbue Item, and then all the other features later on?

Some clarification would be greatly appreciated, and please correct me on any/all of my assumptions if I am incorrect.

Thank you! :smallsmile:

Warlock8/Binder1/HFW3 is eight levels of Warlock, a level of Binder, and three levels of Hellfire Warlock.

Hellfire Warlock advances spellcasting for purposes of Eldritch Blast and Invocations.

Getting another level of Warlock means you are Warlock9/Binder1/HFW3. While you may have the Eldritch Blast and the invocations of a 12th level Warlock, you still only are Warlock 9, so you wouldn't get Imbue Item for another three levels.

Answerer
2012-11-27, 08:42 PM
Basically, your Invocation and eldritch blast damage become desynced from your other Warlock class features. You have exactly the class features that a Warlock of your class level would, but you have the Invocations and eldritch blast damage that a Warlock three levels higher than your actual class level would.

Darth Stabber
2012-11-27, 09:20 PM
It's just like prestige classes that advance wizard's spellcasting, they don't give you wizard bonus feats.

Pandyman
2012-11-27, 10:58 PM
The the Stat Block in Fiendish Codex 2 is wrong then, lol silly people that build stat blocks for these books.

The stat block setup has "warlock (Complete Arcane) 9/hellfire warlock 3" and still has Imbue Item.

Psyren
2012-11-27, 11:00 PM
The the Stat Block in Fiendish Codex 2 is wrong, I believe then.

The stat block setup has "warlock (Complete Arcane) 9/hellfire warlock 3" and still has Imbue Item.

An incorrect statblock?? How could this be?!

Sith_Happens
2012-11-27, 11:02 PM
The the Stat Block in Fiendish Codex 2 is wrong then, lol silly people that build stat blocks for these books.

Ooh, going to have to add that to my "Worst Prebuilt NPCs" thread later (once I can look in my book and confirm it).

Pandyman
2012-11-27, 11:12 PM
An incorrect statblock?? How could this be?!

I know, lol most statblocks always just seem tossed together as a last minute thing.

Noedig
2012-11-28, 12:24 AM
Thank you for your answers you've been very helpful.:smallsmile:

Edit: New question just occurred to me. The E-blast, caster level and invocations are desynced as someone said. What happens when you take that 9th level warlock, do you again gain e-blast 5d6 or is it a higher number of d6s? Clarification please.:smallsmile:

Darth Stabber
2012-11-28, 02:49 AM
Thank you for your answers you've been very helpful.:smallsmile:

Edit: New question just occurred to me. The E-blast, caster level and invocations are desynced as someone said. What happens when you take that 9th level warlock, do you again gain e-blast 5d6 or is it a higher number of d6s? Clarification please.:smallsmile:

As stated your eblast and invocs are desynced from warlock levels. You gain gain eblast dice and invocs as though you were a warlock of your warlock+prc level. If you take your 9th level of the warlock class and you have 3prc levels your eblast is whatever the eblast of a 12th level warlock would be, as are your invocations.

Given that most of what warlock gives you is eblast and invocs, you are usually better off staying in a prc, since you don't lose anything of incredible value, other than magic item crafting.

Socratov
2012-11-28, 10:14 AM
As stated your eblast and invocs are desynced from warlock levels. You gain gain eblast dice and invocs as though you were a warlock of your warlock+prc level. If you take your 9th level of the warlock class and you have 3prc levels your eblast is whatever the eblast of a 12th level warlock would be, as are your invocations.

Given that most of what warlock gives you is eblast and invocs, you are usually better off staying in a prc, since you don't lose anything of incredible value, other than magic item crafting.

except for the fact that either legacy champion or similar are the only PRC's after HFW worth any salt or just take more warlock classes (Imbue Item is really great, expeically if you take 2 levels of chameleon for the floating feat. (sots you 1 d6 of EB though, but gains you a floating invocation or just any crafting feat you need at the time.

Noedig
2012-11-28, 10:20 AM
I see. Thank you again for the help.:smallsmile: