PDA

View Full Version : Ongoing Games subdivisions

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2006-10-28, 12:39 AM
I realize I may be an exception here, rather than the norm, but I'm DMing 5 games at the moment, and playing in more than a dozen others. I understand that I can request to have the 5 games I'm DMing moved to the same subforum for convenience, but with the 12+ that I'm playing in, unless the DMs all decided to put them in the same forum, the subdivisions are going to make it really difficult for me to find my games and stay active.

What options do I have to make things simpler to find?

WampaX
2006-10-28, 12:46 AM
What options do I have to make things simpler to find?

Subscribe to the threads (link is under Thread Tools at the top of the thread.
You can then go to your User CP link at the top, choose List Subscriptions, and there they will all be.

Asmodeus
2006-10-28, 02:35 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1480743#post1480743
Over in that thread, I made some arguments and layed out some math detailing how these sub-forums could be a bad thing.

Those who use Bookmarks, or Subscribed Threads won't be affected by the matter, whether the In Character forum uses subforums or not.

In addition, the Giant himself came down, and made comments about how the subforum system could be used in the future for further segregation of gaming threads. Now, I don't know the details of what he's planning as far as that is concerned, so I could be totally off base, but it seems to me that it would be easier to sort through games that are in a central location. It could be that I was given some bad information when I was told that they are randomly seperating threads into Alpha, Beta, and Gamma, but if thats the case, then this current segregation will not help future organization in any way. It could hinder it.

However, after giving it some further thought, I realized that people like myself and DarkLady up there could be the exception instead of the rule. If the vast majority of people playing at the In Character forum are only participating in one game, or they are lucky enough to get all of their games into one subforum, then yes, this new system will be a boon to them. But if it turns out that most people find themselves participating in many games, spread across multiple channels, then it will only cause them more wait-times and more page-surfing while they try to find their games.

Seffbasilisk
2006-10-28, 02:56 AM
I'm playing in a games of a number ranging from 6-14 depending on which are really dead and which are just quiet for a bit. I'll be hopping channels alot, and subscribing? I like clicking through and going to the threads that have been updated recently, figuring if they haven't been upped in a while, probably there's nothing new. The new system totally throws that out the window.

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-10-28, 07:37 AM
You can then go to your User CP link at the top, choose List Subscriptions, and there they will all be.
Even Better: use the "Subscribed Threads" link under the "Quick Links" menu next to the "Log Out" link. It's one less page to load. ;)

Oeryn
2006-11-07, 03:22 PM
So, here's MY question.

I don't have a problem with subdividing the Games thread. If it helps y'all, then I'm fine with it. Even if it doesn't, I can use the subscriptions and find stuff WAY easier than before, so I've got no beef.

But won't that meant that the actual "Ongoing Games" forum will be completely empty, after everything is moved? It'll just be links to the three subsections, right? Is there a point that that, that I'm not seeing?

HempRope
2006-11-07, 03:27 PM
I believe that the idea is to archive inactive threads there. After a game ends, or hits the page limit and has to spawn a new thread.

Oeryn
2006-11-07, 05:18 PM
That's cool. Thanks!

NEO|Phyte
2006-11-07, 06:11 PM
Also, for tracking game threads, its handy to note that threads you have posted in get a checkmark instead of a circle, so even if you dont have shortcuts/subcriptions, they arent too hard to find.

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-11-07, 07:37 PM
Also, for tracking game threads, its handy to note that threads you have posted in get a checkmark instead of a circle, so even if you dont have shortcuts/subcriptions, they arent too hard to find.
Not using subscriptions? What kind of crazy talk is that?! :biggrin: