PDA

View Full Version : need help with warrior build...

morkendi
2012-11-27, 10:56 PM
DM wanted us to take our characters from an old 2nd edition campaign and convert them to 3.5. These characters were between 25 and 29, but scaled back to 15 with conversion. I got rogue built, and like it a lot, but he had a retainer in the old game that posed as a butler. I took leadership as a feat to get him involved like he used to be. This means he would have to be level 13. Background story is old retired adventurer. So he has the stat mods for old age. Also, has to have profession of animal trainer as in the game , I originally hired him to train hell hound pups I found during his adventures. He stayed on to run my household and protect my investments as my rogue had become a pretty big social and political person in game. The problem is that strait fighter gives me to few skill points. Even spending a feat slot for able learner it is hard for me to do. If I am going to spend my leadership feat on him, like dm suggested, I want him to be viable as a fighter even if he is in the old age category. Tossing in a couple rogue levels would give skill points, but why would I need someone who can do thing's I can already do much better. Couple ranger levels might make sense for the animal trainer part. I am having trouble making something that looks viable, and fits the story. Everything I brainstorm looks to weak on paper. Any help on build would be appreciated.

morkendi
2012-11-27, 11:09 PM
I forgot, he never had stats in old game. Being that he is my cohort now, I need him on paper. Dm does every stat base 10 with 22 point buy. The points are 1 for 1, so if I wanted 18 strength, it would cost 8 of my 22 points.

Gwendol
2012-11-28, 05:24 AM
Does he have to be a fighter? Seeing you being a rogue, it would make more sense to him being a retired ranger. That way he can assist with the sneaking, make camp, hunt, cook, and serve dinner, and mend your clothes while you rest, all the while keeping an eye out for danger and his bow and arrows close.

Whirling frenzy barbarian/ranger for TWF build (getting pounce, of course)

Swift hunter (Ranger/scout) for a ranged build

Ranger/Knight of the weave/Abj. Champion/?

And here are some Shneekey builds from an earlier post:

Some sample builds:

Scout4/Ranger16. Pick up the feat Greater Manyshot, and a splitting bow. Have fun with damage output that can approach typical charger builds. With Trapfinding, stealth, detection, emergency healing and status effect negation, and other utility.

Ranger10(wildshape variant)/MoMF10. There's a reason Druid is a Tier 1 class. Now you emulate one of their strongest abilities. No, you aren't Tier 1, because you don't have everything a Druid does, but you're still going to eat the face off of anything in your way.

Scout4/Ranger6/Dervish10. It slices, it dices, it makes juliann fries! It's also surprisingly mobile when combined with a dip in Cloistered Cleric for Travel Devotion, or with a Grandmaster's Dummy (UMD'd). Or, if you want Incarnum, a couple of feats into Shape Soulmeld (Sphinx claws) and Open Chakra (Hand).

The thread is found here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202627

Hirax
2012-11-28, 05:29 AM
Have you considered the factotum class, from dungeonscape?

Darrin
2012-11-28, 06:23 AM
Handle Animal, you say? Sounds like a job for Bubs the Commoner (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7097263&postcount=38). In 4 class levels, he's got a +37 Handle Animal modifier. The rest of the levels you can fill in with fighter or what have you.