PDA

View Full Version : Build Assistance: One Word Wonder

Mr.Pockets1000
2012-11-27, 11:28 PM
Im currently in the middle of making a character focused on the power of the voice. RP mechanics of everything he says has power, so he stays quiet until power is needed.

What i've come up with so far for this is fairly comprehensive, but id have to think that my spell list could be bigger. Anyway, heres what ive worked out.

Bard/Sublime Chord/Dracolexi - Bardic music(oratory) plus power word spell focus is perfect. Added points for the draconic word flavor/use and every social skill under the sun at my disposal.

Words of Creation - Yay more words, the fact that it works with my inspire courage is just gravy to be frank.

Spells, Every power word option, Halt (PHB2), Stand (PHB2) Beckoning Call (Fiendish Codex 1), Herald's Call(MoF) Any core spell of the suggestion/geas/command lines.

All of these fit the build/RP theme perfectly(although some are a little lackluster in use (stand)), the feel, and flavor text on the spell even specify them as clarion, single phrased commands holding power.

on the other end spells like Glossolalia (XPH), Dirge of Discord (CA), Wounding Whispers (MoF), All fit the bill in terms of effect and use, but I truly dont see the character as a blathering idiot, or screaming cries of agony.

In the end what im hopin for help on is expanding on my list of spells/feats/classes, comment on the build, any help or even how you like the character concept. Im not going for serious optimizing here, its more for fun. Also any spell suggestions that i cant inherently get through dracolexi, sublime, bard, or lyric thaumaturge, the only other option i know of is arcane disciple. So feel free to elaborate and thanks for the time

Sources available: any 3.5 i can get my hands on, excluding dragon magazines

nedz
2012-11-28, 12:12 AM
You could look at the Evangelist PrC in CDiv, though personally I think Bard is better — YMMV.

Kiai Shout, and Greater Kiai Shout are worth a look. There in CWar.

Otherwise there are plenty of Bard spells, though the skills Diplomacy, Bluff and Intimidate are quite powerful.
Marshal is a classic 1 level dip for these skills, as is Warlock.

rockdeworld
2012-11-28, 07:14 AM
The Word. (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/The_Wish_and_the_Word_%283.5e_Optimized_Character_ Build%29#The_Word_2)

Joking aside, Dark Speech is a feat from BoVD that I like flavor-wise, even if it's not particularly powerful (compared to high level spells - getting it at level 3 is nice).

As an bard, you'll probably want Disguise Spell (from Complete Adventurer) as well. Then even your everyday words are spells.

And as far as spells go, the Charm Person/Monster line is, of course, useful, as is Contact Other Plane.

Psyren
2012-11-28, 09:26 AM
Conceptually, Truenamer would be perfect for this. But you'll probably want to use one of the fixed versions (e.g. Kyeudo's) if you go that route.

The beauty about Truenamer is that you can speak anytime you want - so long as you use Truespeak, reality will respond every time you utter something, and you'll never have to worry about "running out of things to say" each day.

Quirp
2012-11-28, 12:07 PM
I once tried to build a similiar character.
Ideas for his spell list included the following spells:

Light 0
Feather fall 1
Ventriloquism 1
Swift expeditious retreat 1 (CAdv)
Power word pain 1 (RotD)
Stay the hand 2 (PHB2)
Knock 2
Blindness/deafness 2
Blur 2
Swift fly 2 (CAdv)
Deflect 2 (PHB2)
Suggestion 3
Halt 3 (PHB2)
Dimension door 4
Baleful blink 4 (PHB2)
Celerity 4 (PHB2)
Dimension shuffle 5 (PHB2)
Lightning leap 5 (CM)
Power word disable 5 (RotD)
Call of the twilight defender 6 (DM)
Familiar refuge 6 (CM)
Glorious master of the elements 7 (DM)
Power word petrify 8 (RotD)
Time stop 9
Wail of the banshee 9

All of these spells use only verbal components.