PDA

View Full Version : Gygax Magazine

Thurbane
2012-11-28, 01:46 AM
Pretty exciting news...new RPG mag is coming soon:

http://gygaxmagazine.com/

TSR Games Returns
Hexagonist Acquires Rights to Name

Hexagonist Publishing, LLC has acquired the rights to the trademark “TSR Games.” The company will begin publishing its first product, Gygax Magazine, in December.

The new TSR Games was
formed by Jayson Elliot. In comments made on the ENWorld forum, Elliot explained that the TSR Games trademark had lapsed following the purchase of the old TSR by Wizards of the Coast in the 1990s, and the new company picked up the rights in 2011.

TSR Games has recruited two of the sons of Dungeons & Dragons co-creator Gary Gygax, Ernie and Luke, which has given the new company access to the Gygax name (rights to the name E. Gary Gygax reside with the Gygax Family Estate, run by his second wife Gail Gygax). Contributors to the magazine will also include a number of veterans from the original TSR.

Gygax Magazine will focus on tabletop non-electronic gaming and role-playing. The magazine promises to offer content for both new and experienced gamers, combining both current role-playing titles as well as classic and out-of-print games. TSR Games plans to publish both a print and a digital version of the magazine.

TSR Games and Hexagonist Publishing are not associated with Wizards of the Coast, owners of Dungeons & Dragons.

Zherog
2012-11-28, 10:41 AM
It's also going to have (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262156) a little known web comic published in it's page. Order of the something-or-other. I foresee big things for this comic...

Occasional Sage
2012-11-28, 10:54 AM
I know what to add to my Christmas list!

supermonkeyjoe
2012-11-28, 12:23 PM
I'll need a few more details before I get excited. Just because you call a company TSR and name your magazine after one of the most influential RPG designers in the history of the hobby, doesn't necessarily ensure quality in any way.

Occasional Sage
2012-11-28, 12:43 PM
I'll need a few more details before I get excited. Just because you call a company TSR and name your magazine after one of the most influential RPG designers in the history of the hobby, doesn't necessarily ensure quality in any way.

Sure, but they also got Gygax's kids on board, and said enough good things to get Burlew and Foglio to sign on. That says volumes.

Spuddles
2012-11-28, 09:07 PM

Frankly, TSR and Gygax make me want to look at their stuff less. Have you ever read any of his old modules! They're a mess of bad pseudo-history, arbitrary auto death, and horribly clunky mechanics. There are literally rocks fall, everyone dies traps.

nedz
2012-11-28, 09:23 PM
I'll probably buy the first one and then see what I think.

nyjastul69
2012-11-28, 10:31 PM
Frankly, TSR and Gygax make me want to look at their stuff less. Have you ever read any of his old modules! They're a mess of bad pseudo-history, arbitrary auto death, and horribly clunky mechanics. There are literally rocks fall, everyone dies traps.

I mostly agree, but I don't think the current state of the hobby in general, RPG's or CRPG's, would be the same without him. This current incarnation of TSR has no affiliation with any prior incarnation of TSR.

I'm extremely interested and will be buying the print versions. I'm glad that some of the original giants of the industry want to produce an actual magazine instead of just an e-zine as Dragon Magazine had become. As a collector of Dragon Mag for several decades I was saddened to see it relegated to e-zine status. This is not to impugn e-zines in general, I just prefer to read hard copies of products. YMMV

blazinghand
2012-11-28, 11:00 PM
That's pretty exciting! I think I'll take a look at the first one and see if I want to subscribe. In terms of gaming content, though, I'm pretty happy with what I have. Worth checking out though.

nyjastul69
2012-11-28, 11:57 PM
That's pretty exciting! I think I'll take a look at the first one and see if I want to subscribe. In terms of gaming content, though, I'm pretty happy with what I have. Worth checking out though.

Yeah, the gaming content thing. :smallsigh: It's going to be difficult to market a product with varying gaming interests well, there was a serious backlash from Dragon Magazine including a Sci-Fi content section, ARES to be specific. The industry seems so subdivided these days and any game specific content one wants can be found pretty easily on-line for free. They are starting a cool thing in tough times in my opinion. I wish them well. Unfortunately Gail Gygax(and as such the Gygax Family Estate) isn't onboard, yet. I hope this changes in the future. I'm very glad Rich has decided to join, major props to him. :smallbiggrin:

eggs
2012-11-29, 12:19 AM
What makes this stand out from the innumerable gaming blogs on the web?

nyjastul69
2012-11-29, 12:31 AM
What makes this stand out from the innumerable gaming blogs on the web?

It's a dead tree product, not exclusively, but that's what makes it cool. If ya don't want to buy it, don't.

Edit: The fact that Ernie and Luke are involved is neat, that stands out. They haven't involved themselves in the industry as much as I think they they should have. That stands out. Tim Kask is involved. That stands out. Phil Foglio is going to have a print comic again. That stands out. Rich will be involved. That stands out. There are some artists associated with this product that stand out to me. Many things from this endeavor 'stand out' to me. If these things do not stand out to you, don't support it. I hope I understand what you mean by 'stand out'.