PDA

View Full Version : Gestalt combinations with binder

Mr White
2012-11-28, 03:31 AM
For a Pbp we as the players can go nuts trying to play new things. Seeing as I'm quite inexperienced in DnD, that's not really hard.

The game will probably be gestalt and ever since I read the campaigns from Silverclawshift, I've wanted to play a binder.
Unfortunatly, I've found little on the web about Gestalt combinations with the binder class. Do any of you guys have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Andreaz
2012-11-28, 06:04 AM
For a Pbp we as the players can go nuts trying to play new things. Seeing as I'm quite inexperienced in DnD, that's not really hard.

The game will probably be gestalt and ever since I read the campaigns from Silverclawshift, I've wanted to play a binder.
Unfortunatly, I've found little on the web about Gestalt combinations with the binder class. Do any of you guys have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.The binder goes well with nearly anything (Incarnum users and binders are fun like that in gestalt). Just pick the pacts that match your other class!

Axier
2012-11-28, 08:37 AM
As stated, Incarnum Binders are good.

Psionic binders are fun, especially if you have access to the Psionic Vestiges from the Minds Eye online supplement.

I like Invocation Binders, Warlock and DFA are both solid choices.

Monk Binders are pretty cool, but not that great.

Divine Binders, same as Arcane, will have a large pool of power, just like the Psions.

Binder / Factotum will be able to do a little bit of everything, quite well. You could even dip into Chameleon for redeculous adaptability.

Pathfinder synthisist summoner with binder; "Yo dawg, I herd you like binding, so we got you some vestiges, so you could bind while you bind."

Basically, Binder + Any = Solid choices.
Binder Aristocrat has some serious roleplay potential too.

Psyren
2012-11-28, 09:18 AM
For best results, combine it with a Charisma-based class. Not only will this power up the save DCs of your vestige powers, you'll also be a dynamite party face thanks to Naberius. You'll be able to take 10 on Diplomacy checks even while threatened, as well as rush them with no penalty.

But as others have said, you don't need any specific stats at all. If you focus on vestiges whose abilities don't require a save (typically ones that give you combat ability) you can have any stat spread you want.

I personally recommend Warlock - Charisma-based, lots of flavor synergy, and you can combine your innate crafting abilities with the Binder's own toys (e.g. Astaroth and Karsus) to make yourself a walking factory for the party. In addition to powering up your face skills, Naberius will also effectively negate the penalty to you for employing hellfire, giving you a significant damage bump if you take Hellfire Warlock.

Darth Stabber
2012-11-28, 10:30 AM
I did 65% of a gestalt handbook a while back, here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239352). Might be useful

gorfnab
2012-11-28, 12:56 PM
Binder // Crusader - makes a very nice tank

Psyren
2012-11-28, 01:23 PM
Binder // DFA is another good option. Amon lets you qualify for metabreath feats, which you can then put on your DFA breath weapon. Both are Charisma-based, and a high Con gets you good HP, big breath DCs and a hefty armor bonus from Dahlver-Nar.

Darth Stabber
2012-11-28, 01:49 PM
Binder//Sorcerer is a decent combo. Cha synergy, and added versatility. You have your mainstay sorcerer spells, and you can use your vestiges to patch up any holes in what you might need on a day to day basis. As I said in my handbook, binder has a lot of passive/out of combat abilities, and that helps keep your actions free for spells.

Also totemist is a solid option for any gestalt given the low feat taxes, flexibility, and near universal desirability of a solid con score (mitigating, but not cancelling out the usual MAD problems (though this isn't a new dependency when your other class is binder)).

Mr White
2012-11-29, 06:14 AM
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'm most interested in the warlock or DFA combination.

I'll be looking into the gestalt handbook. Thanks Darth Stabber for starting the project.

For some reason I've got a binder//marshal combo in my mind. Would this be a good build?

Psyren
2012-11-29, 09:21 AM
For some reason I've got a binder//marshal combo in my mind. Would this be a good build?

Marshal is a nice dip but doesn't offer much beyond the starting levels. Motivate Charisma will help with your Binding check. The Major auras are overall pretty weak compared to the Minor ones.

avr
2012-11-29, 10:30 PM
Binder // Rogue works. All good saves, and you can pick vestiges to buff your rogues' melee abilities. The extra skill points allow you to get vestiges with skill rank requirements - usually a problem for binders with 2 + INT skill points especially since INT is often a dump stat for them.

High CHA and Use Magic Device doesn't hurt either.

Mithril Leaf
2012-11-29, 11:13 PM
I'm seconding Binder // DFA. Mix up a nice Magic-blooded Lesser Maeluth for +4 Con and +2 Cha, at the cost of 2 dex and wisdom. Add Unseelie Fey for taste, if desired.
All your abilities would have solid DCs, tons of HP and not awful BAB. Tons of abilities you can use frequently, you don't have to make attacks rolls most of the time and lots of other nice stuff.

EDIT: I'd recommend both Unseelie Fey and Dragonborn. If you swing flight off unseelie fey, that's kept, which is nice.

Rizban
2012-11-30, 06:04 AM
If you can use homebrew, I highly recommend going with Incarnum // Binder and picking up levels in Midnight Occultist (http://forum.faxcelestis.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22).

Mr White
2012-11-30, 06:40 AM
Binder // Rogue works. All good saves, and you can pick vestiges to buff your rogues' melee abilities. The extra skill points allow you to get vestiges with skill rank requirements - usually a problem for binders with 2 + INT skill points especially since INT is often a dump stat for them.

High CHA and Use Magic Device doesn't hurt either.

This sounds nice as well. Would this be a better melee build than Binder // Factotum?

Psyren
2012-11-30, 08:48 AM
If you can use homebrew, I highly recommend going with Incarnum // Binder and picking up levels in Midnight Occultist (http://forum.faxcelestis.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22).

That's a great class of course but I think theurges are heavily discouraged in gestalt.

This sounds nice as well. Would this be a better melee build than Binder // Factotum?

That depends on your DM's view of Cunning Strike - if a Factotum can get more than 1d6 with it, then it can outperform a rogue in melee, particularly once Gnomish Quickrazors enter the picture.

But if it's a skill-heavy build you want, I recommend Bard or Spellthief rather than Rogue. Psychic Rogue would work great as well, particularly with the psionic vestiges on the Binder side.

killem2
2012-11-30, 01:54 PM
This suggestion may not be so great on the optimization level, but Wilder/Binder seems like a perfect fit flavor wise :smallbiggrin: