PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Ways to add energy descriptor to spells??

Viscerator
2012-11-28, 04:12 AM
Hi guys, I am considering how to add energy descriptors to spells. I mean those spell WITHOUT energy descriptor.

The only way I know is to use snowcast feat, is there any other way?

Thanks in advance!:smallsmile:

TuggyNE
2012-11-28, 04:57 AM
Hi guys, I am considering how to add energy descriptors to spells. I mean those spell WITHOUT energy descriptor.

The only way I know is to use snowcast feat, is there any other way?

Thanks in advance!:smallsmile:

I doubt it, otherwise it would have been drafted for use in the Locate City Bomb variants already. And while my knowledge is by no means exhaustive, I've not heard of any alternative to Snowcasting, and the general opinion seems to be that Frostburn made a uniquely abusable feat there.

Edit: Hmm, on further reflection it may be the damage, not the energy descriptor, that's unique. If so then ignore this, sorry. (I still kinda doubt that such a way exists but I'm not too sure.)

Viscerator
2012-11-28, 09:03 PM
I doubt it, otherwise it would have been drafted for use in the Locate City Bomb variants already. And while my knowledge is by no means exhaustive, I've not heard of any alternative to Snowcasting, and the general opinion seems to be that Frostburn made a uniquely abusable feat there.

Edit: Hmm, on further reflection it may be the damage, not the energy descriptor, that's unique. If so then ignore this, sorry. (I still kinda doubt that such a way exists but I'm not too sure.)

I see. It is very strange that there are so many ways to add alignment descriptors to spell, including spell/feat/class feature or alternatives, while so few methods to give elemental descriptor to a spell.

Darrin
2012-11-29, 07:59 AM
Snowcasting adds [cold].
Energy Substitution can switch that to [electricity].
Born of Three Thunders adds [sonic] to anything with [electricity], or vice versa.
Energy Admixture can also add an energy descriptor to a spell that already has one.

So you could start with an [acid] or [fire] spell, add [cold] via Snowcasting, then add [electricity] with Energy Admixture, and BoTT will add [sonic]. That's 4 out of 5.

Wings of Peace
2012-11-29, 08:52 AM
In a similar vein, are there any ways to -remove- a descriptor from a spell?

Viscerator
2012-11-29, 11:17 AM
In a similar vein, are there any ways to -remove- a descriptor from a spell?

There are several feats/class feature could do it partially of wholly.

* feat like Corrupted Spell/Consecrated Spell(there was a feat in Magic of Faerun as well, it is 3.0E though) can make half of elemental damage to be pure divine damage

* an alternative for sorcerer in Planar handbook make half of sorcerer's elemental damage to be pure damage

* feat like searing spell effectively make fire damage to damage almost every creatures, fire subtype will halve it though

* A prestige class, Silver Pyromancer, make fire damage totally to be pure damage. It is the best one I could figure out, Pure energy not subject to immunity

Wings of Peace
2012-11-29, 11:30 AM
There are several feats/class feature could do it partially of wholly.

* feat like Corrupted Spell/Consecrated Spell(there was a feat in Magic of Faerun as well, it is 3.0E though) can make half of elemental damage to be pure divine damage

* an alternative for sorcerer in Planar handbook make half of sorcerer's elemental damage to be pure damage

* feat like searing spell effectively make fire damage to damage almost every creatures, fire subtype will halve it though

* A prestige class, Silver Pyromancer, make fire damage totally to be pure damage. It is the best one I could figure out, Pure energy not subject to immunity

I mean specifically replace the descriptor not just the damage that is usually considered a side effect of the descriptor. The idea here is that if you have a reliable way to remove the descriptor itself then Skypledged becomes an even more awesome prestige class.