PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.5 The Tanking Dragon Disciple

Umbranar
2012-11-28, 04:58 AM
So I play a human paladin 2/Sorcerer 4/Dragon Disciple 2 character atm. The character started as a paladin 2/sorcerer 1.
Its not optimal but I like to build characters around prestige classes the party has not played yet (were playing for a long time now in different campaigns with different characters). My role is being one of the party tanks/melee damage dealers. I fight with a greatsword. (there is a dwarven Phychic Warrior/Warmind with lockdown build taking the hits aswell)

So the first question I ask you is what spells should I take in the future?
I am limited to 1st and 2nd level spells (and 0) until level 16 because I am going to take DD all the way and then continue on in sorcerer (or other full caster prc).

The second question is how should I proceed beyond level 16 (being a paladin 2/ sorcerer 4/ Dragon Disciple 10 at that point), I figured that Spellsword might be good but I recon I have a mithil full plate by then.

Spells I have now:

1st: Enlarge Person (useless once Im a half-dragon), Shield, Expeditious Retreat.
2nd: Mirror Image, False Life, Resist Energy

Feats I have now: Power Attack, Dodge, Improved Initiative, Practiced Spellcaster (Sorcerer).

Doesnt have to be core only, Dragon Magazine is closed as are some spells, feats and classes (we got a gazzeteer for that so I wont bother posting all restrictions).

Summary of key things:
-Must be have 10 level Dragon Disciple
-Tanking with either high AC or Hitpoints or otherwise (miss chances and what not)
-Fighting with a 2-handed weapon

EDIT: to be clear, its for d&d 3.5

Aasimar
2012-11-28, 05:17 AM
Maybe something to protect yourself against spells?

Psyren
2012-11-28, 08:36 AM
Is this for 3.5 or Pathfinder? The Dragon Disciple is drastically different between the two systems (with the latter being far superior.)

Umbranar
2012-11-28, 09:17 AM
Its 3.5 as I editted in the title.

BowStreetRunner
2012-11-28, 09:25 AM
I would not go back into Sorcerer at all - try Abjurant Champion instead. It's full BAB progression and full caster progression. You already fully qualify. And it helps your build more than any more Sorcerer levels.

Psyren
2012-11-28, 09:32 AM
From a power standpoint I highly recommend for you and your friend to see if you can use the PF versions of DD (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/core-rulebook/dragon-disciple) and War Mind (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/psionic-prestige-classes/war-mind) if possible. Both of you (and you in particular) are being shortchanged by PrCs that don't advance your base classes, and you'll likely feel the pain in the long run.

jedipilot24
2012-11-28, 10:54 AM
If you really are bent on being a Dragon Disciple to become a half-dragon, then may I suggest the Dragon Breath feat from Races of the Dragon. It basically turns the half-dragon's crappy 1/day breath weapon into a breath weapon that recharges every 1d4 rounds, which is not only a serious power boost for just one feat but also opens up all those tasty Metabreath feats.

Or, if non-optimal prestige classes really are your thing, then take a look at the Dragon Samurai. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20030906c)

Umbranar
2012-11-29, 02:05 AM
Abjurant champion would be perfect but is closed for the obvious abuses that can result from it. PF is not an option although the whole group agrees what DD and for example arcane archer suck. Reason that I choose it is to challenge myself in making a proper character with classes that are otherwise very dull or underpowered. I have played mages that end battles before the first round was finished and clerics that woop any monsters ass if need be...but what the fun in that? (well the first time its funny):smallbiggrin:

Anyway, the dragon breath feats is something I looked at and love, the DM granted me the Human (Dragonblood) subtype so I can get that fairly quick. (we all had to write a background and get minor rewards for that through the campaign.)

DD grants me spells known but Im not really sure which can be good for a melee character except for the obvious ones.

Zanthy1
2012-11-29, 03:04 PM
some spell ideas from PHB 1

Bulls strength, Bears endurance, Eagles splendor, cats grace

Also mage armor?

jedipilot24
2012-11-29, 06:27 PM
the above plus: True Strike, Nerveskitter, Magic Weapon

Umbranar
2012-11-30, 03:54 AM
Mage Armor is to weak, right now I am wearing a fullplate (arcane spell failure screwed me over multiple times, so I ordered mithril at the local smith to turn it into a +X mithril breastplate, this because I get wings later and can only fly in light armor).

The others look solid indeed. There is no need for nerveskitter since our mage is a Warweaver casting it on the party most of the time. Also I have a +2 greatsword already so magic weapon is a no-go. Im looking for defensive spells though and I found dimension hop. Im not the best at grappling so this might help me in those tough situations (or web, grease, etc).

Thanks for the suggestions.

Kazyan
2012-11-30, 12:00 PM
Or, if non-optimal prestige classes really are your thing, then take a look at the Dragon Samurai. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20030906c)

I...I dunno, that damage-stacking onto an already existing breath weapon...maybe you could do something with that. Totemist with Winter Mask and a way to pump essentia capacity, and, and, *runs off to try to build that*

ericgrau
2012-11-30, 12:07 PM
Feather fall and true strike have no arcane spell failure in armor because they have no somatic component. Neither does blindness/deafness, but blindness/deafness sucks. The many swift spells in spell compendium have no ASF. Just off the top of my head there are bladeweave, blades of fire, swift expeditious retreat and swift fly.

I wouldn't have more than 1 short duration self buff and you have 3. Half the time you don't even get 1 buffing round and very rarely do you get 3 buffing rounds. I would carry some scrolls instead; you only need a handful to be ready for those rare situations. For level 1 spells potions are worth the 50 gp for reliability, except on personal spells since they're not allowed in potions. That would free up a couple spells if your spell list isn't already locked in place. False life and resist energy OTOH are great. You might try see invisibility too. I don't remember if spell compendium has more long duration buffs.

Once you get mithril full plate it may be worth risking the ASF on web. Unless your foe has a high strength score it's awesome at any level even if the foe passes his save. It might not be tanking but it does reduce enemy damage.