PDA

View Full Version : "I can run circles around this guy!" (3.5 Race, PEACH)

Noctis Vigil
2012-11-28, 07:03 AM
This race here? This is why I should sleep more than 20 hours a week.

The Blyttz
The Blyttz are an unusual race. These endlessly cheerful and childlike fey started as a small sect that believed embracing chaos was the route to happiness, and performed a magic ritual to imbue themselves with the essence of Limbo. It worked...sort of. While their visual appearance is fairly random (their hair, eyes and skin can be of any conceivable color combination), most of the chaos that stuck was speed.

These fey tend to be troublemakers, using their speed to escape from anyone they annoy. Blyttz are always Chaotic in alignment, and most are actually Good. Even Evil Blyttz tend to be somewhat innocent and childlike in nature. Their childlike minds tend to see things in extremes, and they rarely have a Neutral alignment on either alignment axis.

Abilities: Str -4, Dex +8, Con -4, Int -4 Wis +2, Cha +2; The Blyttz are weak and frail, but extremely quick, and while not the smartest of creatures, their childlike insight and endless cheerfulness make them rather endearing.
Type: Fey (Chaotic)
Size: Medium
Movement Speed: The Blyttz are very quick, and have a base movement speed of 40 feet. Furthermore, they gain an additional 10 feet to their movement speed for every 3 hit dice they have; this bonus to movement speed is racial.
Bonus Feat: All Blyttz have Run as a bonus feat.
Quick Strike: Blyttz are extremely fast. They gain an extra swift action each round.
Alignment: Blyttz are never Lawful in alignment.
No Focus: Blyttz have little or no focus on a specific task. They suffer a -8 racial penalty to all Concentration checks.
Faster Than The Eye: Blyttz gain a +2 racial bonus on Reflex saves.
Always Moving: All Blyttz have some skill they know well. Choose one Dexterity based skill. That skill is always a class skill for you. Blyttz tend to be rather proud of this one skill they're good at, and like to show it off.
Starting Languages: Common and Sylvan
Favored Class: Any; Blyttz tend to take levels in several classes as they meander through life, learning a bit of several classes instead of focusing on one class. Single-class Blyttz above 5th level are exceedingly rare.
Level Adjustment: +5

Debihuman
2012-11-28, 08:41 AM
This reminds me of the quickling. I'm not especially fond of speed increases for every 2 HD. That's mighty fast as they progress. If there was a cap on this, I'd be more inclined towards it. Being faster than the rest of the party isn't always an advantage.

Debby

Noctis Vigil
2012-11-28, 10:51 AM
What's wrong with the speed increase? I don't see it breaking the game horribly. Maybe you know something I don't? I suppose I could lower it to every three HD if people think it's too much of an issue.

Spoiled to keep my players out:
The goal with this was to make an extremely speed/Dex heavy trickster race for a module I'm working on for my ongoing campaign.

Yitzi
2012-11-28, 05:56 PM
What's wrong with the speed increase? I don't see it breaking the game horribly.

When combined with ranged superiority, it translates into an easy win. It also helps greatly with solo sniper builds.

Noctis Vigil
2012-11-28, 09:40 PM
Alright, dialed the movement speed increase down to +10 feet every three hit dice instead. How's it look now?

LordErebus12
2012-11-28, 10:22 PM
i would dial it down to 40 ft. at first level, increasing by +10 ft. for every four "racial" hit dice you currently possess. this capping at 90 ft. (making you faster than most non-flying creatures by far, and limits abuse, since it requires fey levels, which are rather inferior to most classes.)

imo, no player needs to be this fast, and few enemies really should need this to be successful. As written, I see a 20th level monk with a movement speed of 170 ft. movement in a 6 second period of time.

Extremely broken and absolutely gonna break the game, from the mechanics point, as well as making it challenging for DM's to run fair and challenging encounters.

LordErebus12
2012-11-28, 10:23 PM
furthermore, a constant haste effect is bullcrap, imo. plus it stacks, which is another no-no.

in my gaming experience, an LA +4 or higher is pushing the grounds of play-ability and begins to be more of a hindrance, despite what abilities the race may have.

Noctis Vigil
2012-11-29, 04:58 AM
Lowered movement speed by 10 feet and switched continuous haste to extra swift action.