PDA

View Full Version : Domain Wizard (No not that one)

Wings of Peace
2012-11-28, 07:57 AM
This may be old news to some people but I hadn't heard of this till now so I'm bringing it up. I was going through the alternate class features section of Complete Champion when on page 52 I noticed Domain Granted Power. Essentially, you can trade any of your normal bonus metamagic feats for a Domain Power. Think about that for a second.

There are a lot of domain power that add skills to your class skills list but the implications of that aren't what I'm looking at right now.

Here are the Domain Powers that caught my eye:

Destiny: 1/day immediate action re-roll of any attack, save, ability, or skill check.

Dream: Immunity to fear (I always like this, dunno if it fills any perquisites).

Fate: Uncanny Dodge. Not a common need for a Wizard but when you need it for some off-beat prestige class this is damn handy.

Glory: While not RAI by a strict RAW reading this probably grants turn undead.

Hunger: You get a bite attack. Not super special but I'm putting it hear because it grants a natural weapon.

Pride: Reroll the first 1 you get on a save (meaning if you get another 1 you keep it). Not the best choice but lets be honest, that 1 time it does work you'll feel amazing. On the downside the first time you roll double 1s you'll probably try to commit sepuku via paper cut.

Pact: Appraise, Intimidate, and sense motive are added as class skills. Intimidate comes up more than a few times in prc perquisites so I'm mentioning this particular skill list expander.

Sky: Improves your fly or glide speed by 5 ft. Personally I'd argue that not having a fly speed isn't the same as having a fly speed of 0 but some people would probably feel otherwise which make this minorly convenient as a perma-fly.

Sun: 1/day you can perform a greater turning of undead. The key text here is where it reads "The greater turning is like a normal turning..." There's an exception clause later in the text but it's with regards to the destruction of undead and so I'm fairly certain this lets the Wizard qualify as having Turn Undead.

Time Domain: Improved Initiative. You were probably going to take it anyways but if you weren't and you had a metamagic feat you didn't want then you can take this instead.

Travel Domain: 1 round per level every day (broken up as you see fit) you have freedom of movement. This is pretty nice.

ahenobarbi
2012-11-28, 08:37 AM
I've seen it mentioned a few times as a very good choice. Personally I find them useful only to fulfill prerequisites.

Darrin
2012-11-28, 09:04 AM
Glory: While not RAI by a strict RAW reading this probably grants turn undead.

Without "as a cleric" or some indication of your cleric level, I'm not inclined to regard that as RAW.

Sun: 1/day you can perform a greater turning of undead. The key text here is where it reads "The greater turning is like a normal turning..." There's an exception clause later in the text but it's with regards to the destruction of undead and so I'm fairly certain this lets the Wizard qualify as having Turn Undead.

The key sticking point here is you need some kind of turning before you can convert it into a Greater Turning of Undead. Fortunately, the Sun domain doesn't specify that this has to be turn *undead*. You could get some other kind of turning, such as turn plants or turn elementals, and convert that into turn undead. You can use Planar Touchstone -> Catalogues of Enlightenment to pick up the Plant or Water domain power, then use Domain Granted Power to pick up the Sun domain.

Of course, you could also use the Sun domain from the Dragonlance Campaign Setting, which grants turn undead as a cleric toute de suite.

Hirax
2012-11-28, 09:08 AM
Luck domain power is nice. It's one of the few ways to reroll absolutely anything.

Wings of Peace
2012-11-28, 09:13 AM
The key sticking point here is you need some kind of turning before you can convert it into a Greater Turning of Undead. Fortunately, the Sun domain doesn't specify that this has to be turn *undead*. You could get some other kind of turning, such as turn plants or turn elementals, and convert that into turn undead. You can use Planar Touchstone -> Catalogues of Enlightenment to pick up the Plant or Water domain power, then use Domain Granted Power to pick up the Sun domain.

Of course, you could also use the Sun domain from the Dragonlance Campaign Setting, which grants turn undead as a cleric toute de suite.

Is there a consensus on sun domain enhancing regular turning? I read it as you get a 1/day super turn that for all purposes except those specified by the feat counts as turn undead. Not that it matters since you're right about the Dragonlance sun domain fitting the bill anyways.

Darrin
2012-11-28, 09:29 AM
Luck domain power is nice. It's one of the few ways to reroll absolutely anything.

Since it doesn't specify the type of die or roll, I like to make sure I still have that reroll when I level up and have to roll for HP.

Is there a consensus on sun domain enhancing regular turning? I read it as you get a 1/day super turn that for all purposes except those specified by the feat counts as turn undead. Not that it matters since you're right about the Dragonlance sun domain fitting the bill anyways.

From the SRD:

"Granted Power: Once per day, you can perform a greater turning against undead in place of a regular turning." (emphasis added)

"In place of" means you're swapping your regular turning for a greaturn turning. If you don't already have some sort of regular turning, then you can't perform a greater turning.

Glory domain is a little harder to argue against... if it grants Turn Undead as it appears on page 159 in the PHB, then the text specifies times per day (Cha bonus + 3). Determining your cleric level... well, I guess if you have no cleric levels, cleric levels = 0, so you can calculate the affected HD that way.

The Dragonlance version is more explicit by RAW, but then it's not entirely clear if the Dragonlance Sun domain supercedes, replaces, or coexists with the SRD version...

Wings of Peace
2012-11-28, 09:32 AM
Since it doesn't specify the type of die or roll, I like to make sure I still have that reroll when I level up and have to roll for HP.

From the SRD:

"Granted Power: Once per day, you can perform a greater turning against undead in place of a regular turning." (emphasis added)

My bad. Was reading the sun domain text off another thread because... well... I'm dumb and forgot it was core.

LTwerewolf
2012-11-28, 09:32 AM
I think the turning is less for actually turning undead and more for persistent cheese.

Wings of Peace
2012-11-28, 09:33 AM
I think the turning is less for actually turning undead and more for persistent cheese.

People turn undead? I don't understand. :smallconfused:

LTwerewolf
2012-11-28, 09:36 AM
People turn undead? I don't understand. :smallconfused:

was responding to Darrin who for some reason thought turn undead had something to do with affecting the undead in some way.

BowStreetRunner
2012-11-28, 09:43 AM
I actually like the Celerity domain (CDiv 137) which grants +10 feet to your land speed.

My all-time favorite for this feat however has got to be the Inquisition domain (CDiv 139) which grants an untyped +4 bonus on all dispel checks.

Another really good one is the Competition domain (CDiv 138) which grants a +1 on all opposed checks as an Ex ability.

War domain (PH 189) is a great way to qualify for certain PrCs with its grant of Weapon Proficiency and Weapon Focus in your deity's favored weapon.

rockdeworld
2012-11-28, 09:52 AM
My all-time favorite for this feat however has got to be the Inquisition domain (CDiv 139) which grants an untyped +4 bonus on all dispel checks.
Cookie to you for being the first person I've seen to want the inquisition domain for its ability.

Darrin
2012-11-28, 09:53 AM
Some other interesting domain powers:

Baator (Spell Compendium, Planar Domain): see perfectly in darkness or deeper darkness
Bestial (BoVD): gain scent
Demonic (BoVD/FC1): +1 divine/profane bonus on attack and damage with unarmed strikes and natural weapons.
Destruction (Core): smite naughty 1/day
Elysium (Spell Compendium, Planar Domain): smite evil 1/day
Orc (Spell Compendium): smite naughty 1/day
Storm (Spell Compendium): gain electricity resistance 5

I also like War domain since you get two-feats-for-one, but by RAW can only grant martial proficiencies. If your DM allows it to grant exotic, then there are a variety of options:

Bastard Sword (Note: Kord explicitly says (e) for exotic, while Kelanen and Mayaheine specify (m) for martial proficiency. The FRCS deities don't specify martial or exotic.)
Finder Wyvernspur (Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting p. 234)
Helm (Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting p. 234)
Kelemvor (Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting p. 234)
Kord (Living Greyhawk Deities v2.0 p. 96)
Eilistraee (Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting p. 237, Drow)

Chakram
Shar (Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting p. 234)

Claw Bracer
Luthic (Faiths & Pantheons p. 150)
Malar (Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting p. 234)
Sharess (Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting p. 234)
Urdlen (Faiths & Pantheons p. 137, Gnome)

Double Scimitar
Spirits of the Past (Faiths of Eberron p. 142)

Drow Scorpion Chain
Vulkoor (Secrets of Xendrik p. 72)

Dwarven Waraxe
Gendwar Argrim (Living Greyhawk Deities v2.0 p. 65, Dwarf)

Kama
Tem-Et-Nu (Sandstorm p. 45)
The Dark Six (Faiths of Eberron p. 49)
The Mockery (Faiths of Eberron p. 51)

Khopesh
Horus-Re (Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting p. 237)
Ramman (Lost Empires of Faerun p. 41)
Re-Horakhty (Sandstorm p. 47)

Net
Eldath (Faiths & Pantheons p. 222)
Istus (Living Greyhawk Deities v2.0 p. 84)
Marduk (Sandstorm p. 47)
Sotillion (Living Greyhawk Deities v2.0 p. 156)

Nunchaku
Waukeeen (Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting p. 234)

Pincer Staff (MM p. 164)
Blibdoolpoolp (Complete Divine p. 124, Kuo-Toa)

Scourge
Beshaba (Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting p. 234)
Loviatar (Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting p. 234)

Shuriken
Lliira (Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting p. 234)
Mystra (Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting p. 234)
Tymora (Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting p. 234)

Spiked Chain
Kossuth (Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting p. 234)
Tsolorandril (Living Greyhawk Deities v2.0 p. 171)
Zoser (Sandstorm p. 45)

Tail Scythe
Parrafaire (Serpent Kingdoms p. 188)
Shekinester (Seprent Kingdoms p. 188)

Whip
Al-Ishtus (Sandstorm p. 45)
Azul (Sandstorm p. 45)
Khurgobaeyag (Living Greyhawk Deities v2.0 p. 94, Goblin)
Lolth (Drow of the Underdark p. 19, Drow)
Myrhiss (Living Greyhawk Deities v2.0 p. 122)
Nepthys (Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting p. 237)
Pyremius (Living Greyhawk Deities v2.0 p. 137)
Sharindlar (Faiths & Pantheons p. 122, Dwarf)
Sune (Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting p. 234)

jedipilot24
2012-11-28, 10:44 AM
War domain (PH 189) is a great way to qualify for certain PrCs with its grant of Weapon Proficiency and Weapon Focus in your deity's favored weapon.

It would be a great way to qualify as a Swiftblade without having to be an elf.

BowStreetRunner
2012-11-28, 10:56 AM
Cookie to you for being the first person I've seen to want the inquisition domain for its ability.

I like cookies!

However, I should point out that there is a ruling issue that should be discussed with your DM before taking this one. Dispel Magic describes the dispel check as rolling "1d20 + your caster level, maximum +10". Greater Dispel states that the "maximum caster level on your dispel check is +20 instead of +10".

Some DMs rule that the +4 bonus from this domain ability applies to your caster level, so is affected by the +10/+20 maximums.

However, since it doesn't state +4 caster level, most DMs will allow it to apply over and above the caster level restriction.

It is with the latter ruling that this domain ability becomes a real gem. So check with your DM first before determining how valuable this one is. If he considers this a bonus to caster level and bound by the restriction, then this domain power isn't worth the paper it's written on. :smallfrown:

LTwerewolf
2012-11-28, 11:00 AM
It's an untyped bonus, if the DM is going by the actual rules it's +4 on top of the cap. There's no argument on it. If your dm decides to put the cap on it, then that's not a rule, that's homebrew.

Story
2012-11-28, 11:02 AM
Some of these powers are good, but I'm not sure if they're worth the opportunity cost.

At 5th level, you're giving up Spontaneous Divination, which is nice by itself, and lets you fulfill tons of prerequisites if you're feeling cheesy. And by 10th level, you're probably PRCing anyway. You can get the Luck domain power from Fatespinner 4.

Divine Oracle 1 gives you the Oracle domain (+2CL on divination), and there's probably ways to substitute that out for another domain if you want.

Is there anyway to get Domain Sustitution as a Wizard spell? It looks like Arcade Disciple doesn't work unfortunately, and I'm not sure whether Wrym Wizard is full progressing or not.