PDA

View Full Version : Baldur's Gate roleplay help

mishka_shaw
2012-11-28, 02:07 PM
Howdy

Okay my friend is running a campaign that is set just after the first Baldur's Gate game [Tales of the sword coast?]. Now so far it has been awesome but I am having a dilemma with what to do with my character.
You see each player was handed a slip of paper with their back-story on it and so far none of us have told the other what our back-story is. Now I am pretty sure none of the others use this forum so I can tell you lot that my back-story was that I was one of the few remaining Deathstalkers of Bhaal (If you don't know what a Deathstalker is than it means I have to kill creatures called Bhaalspawn).

Now this is all well and good but I quickly discovered that two other players in the party are Bhaalspawn and as such I should be trying to kill them, but killing PC's it is something I want to refrain from.
So basically in what way should I use them to my advantage? I was thinking of going the whole Amelyssan route and becoming a god but apparently I need access to "the taint" or something so I cannot do that.

I am a druid too so it is not exactly the most assasiny class nor the most divine orientated. I was thinking of maybe helping the two Bhaalspawn annihilate the others than take them out near the end of the campaign but they might be way too powerful by then, plus it will be near the end of the campaign so who knows what would come up.
Maybe there is a way to strip people of their Bhaalspawn essence, I think Irenicus did it in the second game...than again he was a very powerful character.

Mordokai
2012-11-28, 03:13 PM
Irenicus basically stole your(as in, the PC's) soul. Of all the full casting classes, I think druid is most ill equiped for soul stealing shennanigans, baring some epic crap I don't know about. So yeah, I guess you're out of luck there. This is speaking from strictly rule point of view, you and your DM may come up with some roleplaying solution.

You could go Amelyssan route on them, sure. Just... be sneaky about it. While I'm not familiar with lore(played the games, but still), I don't think it says anything about you needing to kill them personally and the events of ToB support that. You just need them dead. That can be accomplished in any number of ways. Pay the brigands for a handy ambush. Pay for an assassination. Be a magnificient bastard and smear their reputation, so the local clergy comes after them, with couple of paladins in tow. Either they kill them right away or they drag them to prison. Spellhold maybe? Accidents have been known to happen in such establishments. Hell, you're druid, summon the wrath of nature on them, in form of storm or flock of rabbid dire bunnies.

Use your imagination, is what I'm saying.

holywhippet
2012-11-28, 07:56 PM
What edition of D&D are you using? 2.5 like the original game? If you are playing in a 3rd edition game, what classes are the other two characters? Keep in mind that a high level 3rd edition druid is extremely powerful and if they other two aren't casters you can likely wipe the floor with them. Even in 2.5 the casting classes tend to end up being a lot stronger than the non-casters at high levels.

You might want to ask your DM for advice in private to see what they are expecting. Even if you do wipe out the other players they might just rejoin the campaign with new characters who are also Bhaalspawn.

The main reason players don't like attacking other players is because it makes them seem to be a ****. In this case, you can point your finger at the DM for giving you that background.

ThiagoMartell
2012-12-02, 09:58 AM
I don't think Deathstalkers have to kill Bhaalspawn by default. Sarevok did that as personal business.

ReaderAt2046
2012-12-02, 12:13 PM
I'd personally suggest one of two courses, depending on your opinion of the Bhaalspawn.

1. If you think they are basically good and can be redeemed, ignore them as long as they stay good and start searching for a way to cleanse them.

2. If they seem evil or ambiguous, wait until they most need your help and stab them in the back.

Gensuru
2012-12-02, 04:40 PM
Well one possible solution would be to (as you said) assist them in their quests. And wherever possible manipulate events so that they have a good reason to kill Bhaalspawn they come across. If your own teammates get too powerful to be killed by you near the end, make sure they do not turn to any methods of immortality. This in turn will make sure that they will die of old age if nothing else. If it might help, let the info leak that they are children of the God of murder. If there were more Bhaal-worshippers around you could even work with them as a sort of spy. If you can manage to find a way to get their Bhaal-essence without having to kill them try to convince them to rid themselves of the "unnatural taint" (if they are good that might work well) and atone for the lack of murder by murdering someone else.

They are Bhaalspawn. Chaos and mayhem tends to follow them without anyone helping it along. By their very heritage they are not going to have calm, peaceful lives. Chances are you won't have to do all that much xD

J-H
2012-12-03, 08:05 AM
A Deathstalker was a priest of Bhaal, and the priesthood has been dead for nigh on 20 years at this point. Unless your druid is (a) formerly evil and (b) at least 40, it doesn't make sense for him to be a Deathstalker.

Sarevok was actually a Deathbringer, which is another (not specced out) class focused on intimidation and cutting your opponents in two. When you get him in ToB he has an ability called "Deathbringer Assault" which will occasionally trigger in melee, letting him do an extra 150 or so damage to his target with a single blow.

That said - if you still want to kill the Children of Bhaal - who better to lead you to others and help you kill them?

holywhippet
2012-12-03, 06:47 PM
A Deathstalker was a priest of Bhaal, and the priesthood has been dead for nigh on 20 years at this point. Unless your druid is (a) formerly evil and (b) at least 40, it doesn't make sense for him to be a Deathstalker.

Actually it could fit quite nicely. The druid spell reincarnate may have been used to bring the PC back as a young adult. You could add in some fluff about the PC deciding to start off life afresh as a druid.