PDA

View Full Version : Strange idea for a multiclass

Nexahs
2012-11-28, 09:16 PM
So I'm thinking about making a character kind of similar to Azrael (the Batman character). What I want to do is have a bard that, in a pinch, becomes a monk. But I want the change to be outside of his control so he can't do it at will. So far the only legitimate reasons I can think of for this would be one god or another (probably St. Cuthbert) "blessing" him. In addition, I would want him to grow in both levels equally, at least for a while, and that's specifically against the rules for both classes. Can you wonderful people think of any ways to circumvent this?

Urpriest
2012-11-28, 09:30 PM
Any particular reason for the first class to be a bard, rather than another class that uses music/casting/skills/whatever you're going for?

Any particular reason for the second class to be a monk, rather than any particular class that's good at martial arts?

Have you taken a look at Rich Burlew's Champion Class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9623431#post9623431)?

nedz
2012-11-28, 09:59 PM
How about a Were-Bear Bard — for a grappler ?
Or a Were-Wolf Bard — for a tripper ?

I don't think you can do Were-Monk unfortunately — though that might be a fun piece of Homebrew :smallcool:

Nexahs
2012-11-28, 10:28 PM
Any particular reason for the first class to be a bard, rather than another class that uses music/casting/skills/whatever you're going for?

Any particular reason for the second class to be a monk, rather than any particular class that's good at martial arts?

Have you taken a look at Rich Burlew's Champion Class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9623431#post9623431)?

Haven't looked at it, no. And I like the idea of such a dichotomy in one person, simultaneously personifying law and chaos. Also, the thought of a bard, which in my experience is less than fantastic in combat, suddenly dropping his weapon and beating the bbeg to death with his fists is hilarious to me.

Urpriest
2012-11-28, 10:39 PM
Haven't looked at it, no. And I like the idea of such a dichotomy in one person, simultaneously personifying law and chaos. Also, the thought of a bard, which in my experience is less than fantastic in combat, suddenly dropping his weapon and beating the bbeg to death with his fists is hilarious to me.

Well, if the main draw is that image, then Champion will definitely give that to you. You've got a wimpy guy who casts healing and buff spells, who suddenly becomes a towering macho man who can whup the ass of whatever he pleases.

nedz
2012-11-29, 12:53 AM
Well there are chaos Monk variants, but they are all Dragon Magazine, so YMMV.

Why not a chaotic Unarmed Swordsage / Bard ?

Feralventas
2012-11-29, 02:41 AM
Bard into Chameleon from Races of Destiny, switch your focus OOC when an IC trigger hits?

Or Battle Dancer; good Cha Synergy to put to use.

Skrag Fellhand
2012-11-29, 02:44 PM
Split Personality maybe...one minute your this devote monk who upholds laws,beliefs, etc.... then your alter ego kicks in and your this chaotic free willed bard....rolling percintile so many times a day or during stressfull situations to determine what personality is in charge at the moment...while one persona is active you would not be able to draw from the others pool of abilities and skills..thus you could level each up accordingly...this would be up to whoever runs your game though and is only a suggestion

Talionis
2012-11-30, 01:43 PM
Some ideas

Binder (I'm not good at these at all, but they have the dichotomy you are looking for especially on the fluff of taking on aspects of what you Bind)

Chameleon (Someone already said it, but I'll echo it. I think it works well to progress more than one base class so you can go 3 levels of Bard and 2 levels of Monk and then change your focus. The Focus Change Mechanic works well for you)

Dragon Descendant (Dragon Magic -- I believe Monk entry is there, but it allows you to call different descendant dragons to give you different benefits)

Master of Mask (Might take some different fluff, but the different Masks could work well, you get half casting advancement, no real Monk synergy though. The big thing here is the easy way to change your apparent alignment)

Enlightened Fist (Progesses Monk and casting)

Abjurant Champion (Full BAB full casting progression. Great filler for extra levels)

Magic of Incarnum (Grants you a lot of different small benefits which can be changed daily. A level or two of this can give you some really varied abilities that might fill in holes for a build or grant abilities you think you need that are otherwise hard to achieve)

Clistenes
2012-11-30, 05:47 PM
If it's a curse of sorts, and he is intended to personify the dichotomy between Law and Chaos, just make him spontaneously change alignment when earning enough XP to rise a new level, and he will qualify for a different class of those two each level.

Monks and Bards keep their class features when changing alignment (unlike Barbarians, Clerics, Druids and Paladins), even if they can't take more levels in that class before recovering their old alignment.

The only problem is that Monks aren't supposed to be allowed to take levels of Monk again after multiclassing, but many DM don't follow that rule.