PDA

View Full Version : Invisibility as a spell like ability

Cranthis
2012-11-29, 06:24 AM
Is there any way, such as a feat, to get this? It's for a changeling rogue, although I would still be interested in any way that lets me do this.

Ryulin18
2012-11-29, 07:23 AM
It would be very hard to get invisibility as a spell-like without having to dive into the mixing bowl of races/templates/spells.

As a rogue, you should be picking up some ranks in use magical device (UMD) and be able to get a wand in the near future. A wand of invisibilty should set you back 4500gp+ and give you quite a few uses.

That's all I can reccomend, without going for a swim in the sea of splat books.

Cranthis
2012-11-29, 07:31 AM
Yes, wanding is what I'm doing with this, since there isn't an easy way. However, if you know off the top of your head an amalgamation of whatevers, feel free to tell.

Socratov
2012-11-29, 07:31 AM
I knwo there is some way to gain HIPS in shadow and makign yourself into shadow allowing you to hide in shadow as if invisible. It better then the spell invisibility since it's nonmagical and thsu can't be found with see invisibility, arcane sight or even detect magic. I forgot about the trick though, it must be on the boards somehwere though if you google it.

Solophoenix
2012-11-29, 07:39 AM
6 levels of Warlock can get you invisibility at will, plus a bunch of other at-will abilities that go very well with Rogue, including the ability to take 10 on UMD checks, and a 3d6 Eldritch Blast.

Darrin
2012-11-29, 07:48 AM
How about:
Ninja 2 = Ghost Step.
Monk 2 = Invisible Fist ACF (Exemplars of Evil).
Swordsage/Martial Study = Cloak of Deception maneuver.

Cranthis
2012-11-29, 07:55 AM
All of those are great, and I'm going to keep them in mind when I'm making characters. Unfortunately none of them work for my current character.

Firest Kathon
2012-11-29, 08:07 AM
Are you playing 3.5 or Pathfinder? IN PF, the rogue can get the minor magic (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue/rogue-talents/paizo---rogue-talents/major-magic-sp) rogue talent, which would get you e.g. Vanish (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/v/vanish) (invisibility for 1 round/level) as a spell-like ability 2/day.

Cranthis
2012-11-29, 08:49 AM
3.5. Sorry, I always forget to specify that.

Flickerdart
2012-11-29, 12:37 PM
The drow-only feat Gift of the Spider Queen gives you, among other things, the ability to blind everyone around you and turn invisible at the same time, though the duration on the invisibility is only rounds/level.

ericgrau
2012-11-29, 01:01 PM
A custom magic item gives invisibility for 2160 gp for each use per day, assuming it's a slotted item, command word activated. If you need a more quiet way to activate it then it's 2400 gp. Any custom item requires DM approval but this item seems totally fair to me.

doko239
2012-11-29, 01:04 PM
In 3.5 I can't help, but Pathfinder's Ninja can get Vanishing Trick, which gives you Invisibility as a spell-like ability. At level 10+ this can be upgraded to Greater Invisibility.

Theoboldi
2012-11-29, 01:04 PM
There's also the Dark Template, which gives you Hide in Plain Sight plus some insane bonuses on hide and move silently. It's in Tome of Magic. Not invisibility and only works when you're not in direct sunlight, but otherwise it's pretty awesome.

hymer
2012-11-29, 01:54 PM
Any way? I'll state the obvious: Ring of Invisibility.

limejuicepowder
2012-11-29, 01:57 PM
step 1) die

step 2) reincarnate as a kobold

step 3) retrain feats to become pun-pun

step 4) convince a god to reincarnate you as a pixie

now you have imp invisibility and some great other abilities at will :)

Black_Zawisza
2012-11-29, 02:52 PM
The Primordial Giant template (Secrets of Xendrik page 81) gives some pretty amazing goodies, including invisibility at will. You need to be a giant to take it, but if you take a Half Giant's base traits (Comp Psi page 150), you can get the invisibility AND ability adjustments of Str -4, Dex -2, Int +4, Cha +4 - all for LA +0. If you're playing a very mental-stat-heavy character with point buy, you can use the points you saved from not boosting directly to shore up your Con. For example, both of the following are 32 point buy:

Human
Str 8
Dex 10
Con 12
Int 16
Wis 14
Cha 16

Primordial Giant
Str 8
Dex 10
Con 14
Int 18
Wis 14
Cha 18

Curmudgeon
2012-11-29, 03:05 PM
There's also the Dark Template, which gives you Hide in Plain Sight plus some insane bonuses on hide and move silently. It's in Tome of Magic. Not invisibility and only works when you're not in direct sunlight, but otherwise it's pretty awesome.
Not so awesome, actually. These Extraordinary versions of HiPS don't remove the cover/concealment requirement to use the Hide skill. Plus your memory appears to be playing tricks on you, since the Dark Creature HiPS doesn't work in any daylight; that's quite a bit worse than your "direct sunlight". Of all the many versions of Hide in Plain Sight, this one is by far the weakest.

Ravens_cry
2012-11-29, 03:15 PM
In 3.5 I can't help, but Pathfinder's Ninja can get Vanishing Trick, which gives you Invisibility as a spell-like ability. At level 10+ this can be upgraded to Greater Invisibility.
And it's awesome.:smallbiggrin:

Gavinfoxx
2012-11-29, 03:37 PM
Any particular reason you went Rogue rather than Psychic Rogue? If you want to be a Rogue With Powers...

Theoboldi
2012-11-29, 03:44 PM
Not so awesome, actually. These Extraordinary versions of HiPS don't remove the cover/concealment requirement to use the Hide skill. Plus your memory appears to be playing tricks on you, since the Dark Creature HiPS doesn't work in any daylight; that's quite a bit worse than your "direct sunlight". Of all the many versions of Hide in Plain Sight, this one is by far the weakest.

How does it not remove the cover/concealment requirement? Isn't that the whole point of HipS? Besides, yeah, you're right. It doesn't work in daylight. I misquoted that.

Edit: Ah yes, I see. It doesn't state that you can hide without cover or concealment. Personally, I think that the description of 'Use the Hide skill even while being observed' allows, or at least heavily implies that it allows you to do so. Still, it is strange that all HipS descriptions except for this one state this explitly, but I don't want to derail the thread with an argument about this. I guess this is just something that goes to the individual DMs call.

Urpriest
2012-11-29, 04:03 PM
How does it not remove the cover/concealment requirement? Isn't that the whole point of HipS? Besides, yeah, you're right. It doesn't work in daylight. I misquoted that.

Edit: Ah yes, I see. It doesn't state that you can hide without cover or concealment. Personally, I think that the description of 'Use the Hide skill even while being observed' allows, or at least heavily implies that it allows you to do so. Still, it is strange that all HipS descriptions except for this one state this explitly, but I don't want to derail the thread with an argument about this. I guess this is just something that goes to the individual DMs call.

Camouflage and Hide in Plain Sight are separate abilities for a reason. Hide in Plain Sight lets you hide while being observed, which you otherwise can't do. Camouflage lets you hide without cover/concealment, which you otherwise can't do. They are rather clearly logically distinct.

Theoboldi
2012-11-29, 04:05 PM
Camouflage and Hide in Plain Sight are separate abilities for a reason. Hide in Plain Sight lets you hide while being observed, which you otherwise can't do. Camouflage lets you hide without cover/concealment, which you otherwise can't do. They are rather clearly logically distinct.

I just said I don't want to derail this. Seriously. What the heck. :smallannoyed:

Edit: Not to mention I'm tired and just about to go to bed. I'm really not at my best arguing capacity right now.

avr
2012-11-29, 10:25 PM
The Martial Study feat taken at 6th level or later (assuming no initiator levels) lets you pick Cloak of Deception. That takes your swift action and gives you greater invisibility for the rest of your actions that round. Only once/5 min though.

A swordsage dip can do the same thing slightly earlier and more frequently, or there's items which give you access to maneuvers if you prefer to spend gold.

Binder (one level + improved binding feat, or 3 levels) allows you to bind Malphas to get invisibility 1 round in each 5.

elvengunner69
2012-11-29, 11:44 PM
Any way? I'll state the obvious: Ring of Invisibility.

On one finger and a ring of blinking on the other...

Cranthis
2012-11-29, 11:56 PM
For this guy, I'll probably just do a ring of invisibility with 1 or 2 charges a day.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-11-30, 12:42 AM
1. Get a Ring of Protection +1, for 2,000 gp.
2. Take Item Familiar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm), pick that ring.
3. Upgrade it yourself to a Ring of Invisibility with a +1 Deflection bonus to AC added for 10,000 gp and 800 xp, plus casting Invisibility every day for twenty days (1200 gp for NPC spellcaster fees).
4. The ring, being an intelligent item, is regarded as a creature (construct) in many ways. Constructs cannot be dispelled or disjoined and continue functioning in antimagic and dead magic areas. It gets its own actions every round, which it can use to activate its own Invisibility effect on your character, every round. Every. Round. Wear a gauntlet or similar over it and opponents will never have line of sight nor line of effect to it, so it cannot be sundered or slight of handed.
5. Get a 10% bonus to all current and future XP with an Item Familiar. Invest tons of skill ranks into it for a huge return in bonuses to your already max-rank skills. You can even give it intelligent item special abilities, including designating a special purpose and dedicated power, as long as you can pay to craft it. You can give it the ability to fire a 10d6 Lightning Bolt at will, freely activated by you spending an action or with its own actions. Note that you can add powers to an item familiar via normal item creation methods or by the level-based item familiar progression, so your only limit is cash.

Emperor Tippy
2012-11-30, 12:58 AM
Buy a Skin of Proteus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalItems.htm#skinofProteus), take the feat Assume Supernatural Ability, turn into a Pixie and gain unlimited greater invisibility.

It does cost you 84K but it is unlimited greater invisibility and a ton of other benefits.

Spuddles
2012-11-30, 05:22 AM
Primordial Giant has already been mentioned, but man is that a great template.

I think Factotum spells count as spell like abilities? Not sure about what they actually count as.