PDA

View Full Version : Agent Arcanist PrC [3.5]

Andion Isurand
2012-11-29, 07:04 AM
I recently revised an old prestige class I first homebrewed last year. Have a look and let me know what you think.

Agent Arcanist PrC (http://magerune.blogspot.com/2011/10/agent-arcanist-prc.html)

Rizban
2012-11-29, 07:38 AM
Maybe you could post it here if you're asking for review?

Mulletmanalive
2012-11-29, 07:45 AM
My take is that it gives too many benefits at too low a level for a full casting progression.

Descry is also vague, either that or the ability to know information about stories and legends doesn't fit the class description.

As written, it might be viable it it were accessible no earlier than maybe 9th level, otherwise i think its pushing it.

Andion Isurand
2012-11-29, 08:27 AM
Well, as far as Descry goes, its written in much the same way the Lore ability is for the 3.5 Loremaster, in that it stacks with Bardic Knowledge...
However Bardic Knowledge also involves knowing obscure details about various individuals, places and things in the present. As it exists, the 3.5 ability kind of lumps things together.

I'd much rather see this ability altered to reflect how its handled in Pathfinder, but then I'd be mixing versions of the game.

Bardic Knowledge (Ex)
A bard adds half his class level (minimum 1) to all Knowledge skill checks and may make all Knowledge skill checks untrained.

Lore
At 2nd level, a loremaster adds half his level to all Knowledge skill checks and may make such checks untrained. The bonuses gained from this ability stack with those gained from Bardic Knowledge.

Also... I removed the following ability for the time being:

Disavow (Su): An agent arcanist can prevent herself from communicating information regarding certain topics. As a free or immediate (mental) action, she may voluntarily activate this supernatural ability, and may do so even if she is flat-footed. As part of this action, she must specify a single topic of conversation, as well as a single plane and location (no smaller than 20 feet in any dimension), that she herself has visited in person. Performing this action results in a supernatural effect similar to that of a forbidden speech spell (BoVD 96), except that it targets only the agent arcanist herself, requires no components or costs, allows no saving throw and affects her regardless of creature type.
Until released from an ongoing instance of this effect, an agent arcanist cannot activate another. An agent arcanist can only add additional topics to an ongoing instance of this effect, and may do so by spending a free or immediate (mental) action for each one. Once activated, this effect persists (even in death) until she arrives at the specified plane and location, aware of her surroundings and free from all involuntary magical effects (merely supressing them doesn't count). Once specified, the plane and location cannot be changed in any manner.
No other means short of a wish or miracle can be used to release an agent arcanist from this effect. Doing so always costs the caster 3,000 exp plus an additional 2,000 exp for each class level of the agent arcanist. The moment she is released from the effect by whatever means, an agent arcanist that is still able to do so, may attempt to use this ability again, specifying a new topic, plane and location in the process. An agent arcanist can't be made to utilize this ability against her will by any means short of a deity's intervention.

Andion Isurand
2012-12-01, 06:53 AM
Well, I added a level to the class and created a capstone for it, which probably doesn't change the fact that it is likely too much.