PDA

View Full Version : New member, need some advice

Elsdragon
2012-11-29, 09:07 AM
Hiya, I've been coming here for a long time, getting advice for certain builds, etc. Just wanted some advice for a problem I've run into with our current group.

Firstly, I've been playing D&D, specifically 3.0 and 3.5, for close to 10 years. Our current DM has only been playing, that is playing, not being a DM, for 5-6 months, and really doesn't know the most general and basic rules. The only reason I'm with this group is because one of my best friends, the guy who introduced me to D&D, is playing. But anyway, we're all a pretty versatile group. One character is a Psionic guy, an Ardent, who I've never heard of, we've got a Druid, played by a guy who's playing for the very first time, and we have to give advice to, metagaming to an extent, my friend who's a cleric, and I'm a dwarf fighter.

Since the first game, the DM has consistently targetted me. I'm not saying just with his enemies, but almost every NPC we encounter is unfriendly to me, despite me just being a drunk brawler who offers *everyone* booze. The DM's NPC, who consistently outperforms and outshines the group, absolutely hates my character. Even with high Diplomacy check, NPC's remain unfriendly to me. He's leveled us within five sessions from level 3 to level 16, and is very generous with loot.

Giving a brief outline of my gear, I've got a +3 warmace, an ancestral relic, +5 fullplate of fast healing 20, a bunch of magical items, and some custom stuff that the DM intended other group members to get, but since they didn't want/use it, they gave it to me. The DM has broken our group with huge gear bonuses, the Cleric has almost 40 Wisdom, the Ardent does more melee damage than I do (don't ask how, I don't know, and don't care to find out), and I've got close to 50 AC with all of my gear.

Like I said, the DM has consistently targeted me, via enemies, 'God' actions, and the like. Our last session, which was supposed to be the last for this string, he faced us off against a group of Titans. After the fact, I saw his stats for said Titans, and my friend (who is usually the DM for every other game we play) said he'd gauge their CR to be close to double what they are in the MM.

Our encounter went like this. We got dropped off into the BBEG's tower/lair by a red dragon (Ardent is CG, Cleric is CG, what are we doing with red dragons). Group of titans approach us. Cleric has a huge mod to his Initiative, rolls a 25, Titans *still* go first. Titan 1 approaches me, attempts to sunder my weapon. Rolled a 19 opposed Sunder, with strength bonuses, Improved Sunder, I came up with almost 65. Titan failed with a 58. DM starts saying, "You're character is complete bullcrap." stuff like that, I shrug it off, he's been saying it since session one, where he had a bear disarm me, and I asked him what the disarm check was. The first 'God' action, of which there is usually 3-4 per game. Anyway, back to the Titan. First Titan fails sunder, so he attempts again. I'm trying to be nice, I'm loaded with Feats (instant rage (multiclassed into barbarian) and robilar's gambit specifically in this situation). I pass by 3, with something like a 52-49. He shrugs his shoulders, has other Titans approach, since they weren't close enough to attack the party to begin with (oh yes, he had a 50 foot move action, and a full attack round, disregards those rules). Last Titan charges me, attempts to Sunder on a Charge (Not sure if you can, honestly.) And fails, again. At this point, I'm pretty angry because other party members are a lot closer, and the Titans seem to be specifically trying to just destroy me, just like every boss creature, and every mook we've fought. So I Instant Rage, and use Robilar's Gambit, I declare my Attack of Opportunity. DM says, "They have Improved Sunder, you can't." I say, "I know, normally I wouldn't, but Robilar's Gambit let's me get an Attack whenever I'm attacked in melee, even if you're successful or not." So he mutters, "Okay, whatever, your character is total bullcrap (but not crap, the other word), so you do whatever." In reply to this, I say, "Look at my character sheet, look at the feat, look at whatever you want, you've pretty much been after me since day one, and I'm pretty effing tired of it. You don't call bull on the Ardent who does more melee damage than I do and trips everything." At this point, he starts yelling, and I throw him out of my house. Sorry group!

So, thanks for reading that. Now, do you think this is a case of DM incompetency, DM just having it out for me, or in general just me being broken? I wouldn't be playing with him as a DM except I haven't played in close to a year, and I was kind of jonesing, and my buddy plays.

Rethmar
2012-11-29, 10:07 AM
Yikes.

I wonder, if he went after you so blatantly, regardless of rules even, what the other players were thinking.

Did they ever say anything about it? "Wow, looks like he targets the dwarf every time; that's weird."

If they did notice it constantly and mentioned it, yeah, I'd say the DM was after you.

Skrag Fellhand
2012-11-29, 10:25 AM
Could just be hes new and has to prove he can out shine the veteran....how old is said dm...did you know him before you guys started gaming? maybe its an out of game issue....and as rethmar said are you the only person that noticed it or after proceeding to throw dm out the door by sticking boot to ass did the other players agree to your point or say you were overreacting a little...

BowStreetRunner
2012-11-29, 10:55 AM
Any time things get like this in a game everyone needs to step out of game and discuss before things get out of hand. If one player (or DM) is having problems with another, try talking it out one-on-one. If this doesn't work, or if it is more than just the two players, get the whole group into the discussion.

Everyone needs to remember that the goal is for EVERYONE to have FUN!!! You may have inadvertently been doing something that was preventing the DM from having fun and didn't even know it. But by not speaking to you about it and instead taking it out on you in the game, he ruined the fun for everyone.

I would not attempt to get this group back together unless everyone can talk about it out of game and sort things out. Maybe find neutral ground - go have a cup of coffee together and just sit down and talk about what would make everyone happy with the situation.

I always advise you start by making an apology yourself first. Don't waste your time waiting for the other person to 'man-up'. Odd's are no matter who was 'at fault' in fact everyone could have handled themselves better. So own up to your own failings first. Begin with "I want to apologize if I was doing anything that made you unhappy as DM. My intention was never to upset you. I was simply trying to have fun playing the game." Then, you can go on with "But you have to understand that the way you were treating me as a player was making me very upset. I felt I was being singled out and treated unfairly. I want this game to be fun for all of us, so what can we do to make sure no everyone is able to play together?"

If you can't resolve things out of game in this manner, just be content to go find someone more mature to play with. In my experience, no matter how many of us gamers are like a bunch of overgrown kids, the best ones do truly have a great deal of maturity under it all.

Edenbeast
2012-11-29, 11:28 AM
A complete noob cannot DM, it's like putting a child in the role of the teacher. He doesn't understand mathematics, so how is going to teach it to the other kids?
Stepping out of the group is not a great solution, instead offer him to be player in your (or your friend's) campaign, so he can learn the game as a player. Once he fully understands the game's mechanics and player management (I hope you're able to provide him with a good example), then give him another chance in 1 or 2 years.
Incompetent is a term I would use for someone who does know the game, but who is not able to DM a game properly. Much like someone who studied Maths at university, finished cumlaude, but cannot teach. The DM is in your case may have potential, but doesn't have any experience. Going from level 3 to 16 in 5 sessions only and throwing around magical gear is just absurd.
Some people pick it up faster than others, so maybe 1 year is already enough. In my case I've been lucky enough to experience the game with several different DM's, so I was able to see the goods and the bads. At the time I wanted to DM, I was still playing with mostly the same group. And I could always ask my friends for tips. Feedback from players is also valuable. Much like a teacher should now and then ask the children what they like and don't like about the lessons you teach. In many ways running a campaign is similar to planning a school year.

mattie_p
2012-11-29, 11:40 AM
It sounds like you need to read the Lanky (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23784) Bugger (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93633) Saga (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95189)

Yours ended better than that one did, seems like DM incompetency and having it out for you.

Zanthy1
2012-11-29, 02:56 PM
I myself have only been playing for about 2 years, and tried my hand at DMing last year, mostly because our DM was so busy all the time and I was growing impatient of waiting, and also so I could introduce some other friends to the wonderful gaming experience.

However, I understand that my knowledge as a DM is very limited still, and that there are definitely some things that I would not know how to handle. I also helped my friend try his hand at DMing, and he made similar mistakes to me, but he went a little overboard. First he put us through a dungeon, at the end of which each party member had over 500,000 gold in loot! And then he got really upset because there was nothing his critters could do, since he was using appropriate CR encounters, and we could easily kill much bigger things.

Him and I both learned valuable lessons from this. The first being, that you cannot rush into DMing, especially if you do not know all the rules. The second is, do not give the PC's so much cash monies that they go crazy. Lastly, If you set up a situation where the players trump the DM, then instead of getting upset and losing your cool, take a step back, and analyze whether or not you can continue to make the campaign fun for everyone, if not, then stop.

This case sounds like the DM's inexperience with the DnD universe and incompetence with the rules got in his way of running a truly fin campaign, and when you started taking what he gave you and made it better, he got upset and thought that the best way to remedy it would be to kill of your character.

nedz
2012-11-29, 09:31 PM
It's hard to be sure, but it sounds like he is insecure.

Your getting angry with him is quite natural — but also counter-productive.

I'm not sure what to suggest as a solution really.

only1doug
2012-11-30, 03:05 AM
IMO you need to decide if you want to continue to play in his game, if you do then you need to have a private talk with the GM and clear the air between you, find out why he has it in for your character and explain that you aren't interested in being his whipping boy.

Perhaps he feels that you have forced your way into his game and he resents you for it?