PDA

View Full Version : New Forum Issues

Rawhide
2006-10-28, 05:31 AM
Post here the reason why you hate the new boards. Did we completely stuff something up? Did we screw you over royally? Post here why you think that.

READ THE ENTIRE THREAD BEFORE POSTING!

Mortia De Luna Draco
2006-10-28, 05:36 AM
Well, this seems the best place to put this...

This isnt realy a complant about the new boards, I love all the new fetures, and the quick reply window is a godsend, this falls more under the "screw you over" portion, though I would hesitate to call it that.

I put this in another thread, but this seems to be a better place.

You know, I hate those people that seem to gripe no matter what happens, and I hope I don't seem that way, but I have been thinking it over for some time, and the more I think on it, the more frustrated I get. I feel like the things I do here seem less important some how..

Anyway, I was wondering why the SMBG and Town have been removed from the post tally. SMBG I can kinda understand, but the Town? It, to me, seems the same as the PbP games, save this isn't limited to one group of people, nor is it on one thread where the players cycle their posting. It is played across over 400 threads, and (what we recommend) is one thread at a time, trying to keep it more real. We have no private game rooms, no segregation save the small cliques that form, and we have made great effort to include everyone, from newb to elder titan in our fun. Some of us have worked hard to help organize the town, and try to keep it going, and we are able to run it with almost no mod intervention, and no major problems that start. But it would seem that the opinion of the staff is that all this is illegitimate use of our post counts. The answer that we have been given is this...
"You may now notice that your post count is a lot lower than it used to be. This is because Silly Message Board Games and The Town are no longer included in your post count."
That's it. I hope that I don't seem to come across as rude and whiny, but I guess that I just have a couple of questions, and I cant seem to present myself with a logical answer to it. Could someone please enlighten me?

Why is the SMBG and Town not worthy of a post count?

Why wasn't Friendly banter included? Isn't it kinda the same as SMBG?

I don't want this to start a cataclysm, so if you have a gripe, and it is along the same lines of what I just said, please don't post it after me if it only repeats what I say. I don't want to make anyone mad, I am just curious. Thats all. If this post starts to raise a riot of sorts, I will delete it, as I want no part in trying to force the mods hands in anything. I am just here for a question.

Mortia De Luna Draco
Mayor of the Town

Captain van der Decken
2006-10-28, 05:45 AM
I enjoyed the SMBG. Why was it removed?

InaVegt
2006-10-28, 05:46 AM
I enjoyed the SMBG. Why was it removed?It's not removed, it has been relocated to pbp.

Captain van der Decken
2006-10-28, 05:49 AM
It's not removed, it has been relocated to pbp.

0.o that's.. weird.

Death, your friend the Reaper
2006-10-28, 05:52 AM
I miss my lovely avatar. And you probably know about the PMs. Surely we should call this a more politically correct thread?

Like, "I am appreciation-challenged with the new boards"

Oh, and personal text seem to have been missing

Om
2006-10-28, 06:02 AM
Well I know I hadn't been on the old board long but I have to admit that I had found them to be a step back from what I was used to. I'm not a huge vBulletin fan but the latest version simply has so many great features. In particular the ability to subscribe to a thread, and have it appear in the User CP, is easily one of the most useful forum features ever devised.

While I can fully understand the change in SMBG - why give postcounts for spam? - I'll admit that I'm puzzled by the relocation of The Town.

But apart from that I'm more than happy to sing the praises of the new board. Remember that change is good!

LoopyZebra
2006-10-28, 08:28 AM
Hmm... It's seems my posts on Board Issues have multiplied tenfold in my last two logins...

Aside from what's already been said, I personally don't like how the PbP have been split up into Alpha, Beta, and Gamma. Asmodeus and I ranted about it elsewhere. Let me see if I have that link...

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26211

In summary, the logic's a tad bit screwy and it's annoying. It requires for all my games to be in one of the three to be effective, but, with different DMs and all, I doubt that would happen. For the moment, I have two in Alpha and one in Gamma. If there was a purpose to the split-up (like, say, genre , style, or rule split-up), then it might make more sense.

Casualgamer
2006-10-28, 10:05 AM
I miss my avatar as well....

Now there's really no point to stuff like Iron Avatarist...

2006-10-28, 10:51 AM

Oh, they are only disabled for a while.

People such as Lilly and WampaX and the Giant have a avatar. So sooner or later they may grace us with the abilty to have one as well.

Captain van der Decken
2006-10-28, 10:58 AM
Just put it in your sig for now.

Were-Sandwich
2006-10-28, 11:51 AM
I want my avatar back. I spent days on that thing, and I dont like it being reduced to amere sig-image. HOW CAN YOU DENY ITS AWESOMNESS FROM BEING SEEN BY ALL!!!!!1111

Sorry, its about time for my pills....

Ego Slayer
2006-10-28, 12:33 PM
1). In regards to the SMBG: Some people think that post count is important. Now, at least our tally shows how many posts you've contributed to the forums. Not how many times you've played Kiss or Kill, or Stabbity death. You theoretically could post there 100 times day. In a way post count means less, and in one sense more. You don't have a speedy, generally content-less way to Titan.

It evaluates it but it also shows you've contributed more than Stabbity death to the forums.

I can't say anything about the Town, as I haven't played there but SMBG can be abused for the sake of post count. It's like justified spam.

My two CP.

Now, I really don't like the way the PM system is set up. I liked the 499 message limit and message list. It makes deleting or saving Hell on a stick because you can't just scroll through the messages and delete the less important ones.

With the assumption that we can get our avatars back and keep the 117 square size, I don't have much to say.

I do, however like the Quick Reply (I'm using it right now ^_^). But, where are the tag buttons and color drop down list? This isn't too much concern, as I know the tags and can type them in. Though when breaking apart a longer message I'm not having fun typing "{quote][/quote]" in to every separated section.

Saithis Bladewing
2006-10-28, 01:21 PM
There's only one thing I really dislike about this forum:

The emoticons.

I really, really hate these emoticons. I want them to burn in the fires of the nine hells.

That is all.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-10-28, 01:58 PM
#1. Even moderately lengthy posts are now 'too long'. I cannot even adjust pre-move posts (such as getting rid of all these strange ::&*} everywhere) now without it saying I have to shorten it. Thing is, folks posted right after my post, so I can't post the rest in a second one.

So basically I am unable to do a thing.

#2. No matter how small the file, we may now only post four pictures period. So much for the listings in the avatar thread.

If you try to adjust an old post as mentioned above, with too many pics in it, it won't let you do that either.

#3. Want my avatar back :(

Azrael
2006-10-28, 02:36 PM
Signatures.

Go back to limiting the # of characters in signatures. This is insane. 90% of the text on any given thread page is people signatures.

Yes. I know you can shut off viewing of the signatures, but then you loose the worthwhile content people (sometimes) have there.

I know the legions bitched about 300 characters. But already there are a dozen or so users that I've found that cause massive side scroll or have 50 lines of crap in their sigs.

Gah.

EDIT @V: I agree to a point. But if you give people room to spam, then spam they will.

Alarra
2006-10-28, 02:39 PM
Once avatars are reenabled, signatures shouldn't be -as- big of an issue.

Ego Slayer
2006-10-28, 02:52 PM
Because of coding tags I think I'd be nice to get a little higher limit on sig space. If you did that we'd of course need a limit on images, because you could cram even more in if your sig lacks text.

Ikkitosen
2006-10-28, 03:09 PM
It'd be nice if people were considerate enough to keep their sig size down to a reasonable level - if even your long posts are shorter than your sig then sort it out!

I agree an actual limit is needed though - it must be tough to drop a cool image when you get a new one you want to show...maybe limit the number of figures to some number as a start?

Lucky
2006-10-28, 03:13 PM
I don't think we need a text limit as much as just a length limit, like we have a 400 pixel limit on pictures horizontally. Something like 300 pixels long for a limit would be good. Don't know how easy that would be to enforce, as it isn't as obvious because it won't stretch the page like it would horizontally.

FuziSlipers
2006-10-28, 03:46 PM
Personally, the sigs aren't bothering me. Even the super long ones, now that I've went around the boards more, not that big a deal. It's nice that people have more freedom in what they put into their sig. The previous character limit was kind of a pain, really.

If I had any complaints, it's that all the quote marks are screwy now. As well as ****

imageek
2006-10-28, 03:48 PM
I just tried to pm and i forgot to fill out the subject field.. It asked me to do it so i filled it out. When i pressed the send button it told me to wait 3000000000 something seconds because i was supossed to wait 60 (according to the same text telling me to wait three billion).. so now i gotta wait forever to send a pm.. On purpose?

Dario
2006-10-28, 04:02 PM
The only things I've found I don't like are the lack of avatars (which will probably be fixed soon enough anyway) and the fact that I can't close my browser window without having to log in again. That last feature is nice for someone like me who visits briefly and randomly. Plus, I have the sig-blocking option enabled, which does me no good when I'm lurking as a guest.

Everything else is an improvement.

Although I do miss the tongue smiley. I'd like to see him make a comeback.

Ego Slayer
2006-10-28, 04:04 PM
and the fact that I can't close my browser window without having to log in again.
The "Remember me" check box isn't working for you?

:p

lolz.

Captain van der Decken
2006-10-28, 04:20 PM
I prefer the old smilies. Especially the tongue one.

Amiria
2006-10-28, 04:37 PM
I have an ICQ icon but I don't use ICQ.

My profile says that my birthday is November 30. 1) That's wrong. 2) I didn't even specify my date of birth in my profile.

P.S. I don't really hate the new boards ...

Winged One
2006-10-28, 04:39 PM
One thing I rather dislike is that the PM limit seems to have severely decreased. And I can't even delete those PMs that I would be willing to delete to meet this new limit.

Also, there was one thread I found extremely useful in the OOC PbP section: it was called "Guide to Play-by-Post games" or something like that, and it had a lot of links to various useful sites. It seems to have disapeared.

Dario
2006-10-28, 04:47 PM
The "Remember me" check box isn't working for you?

:p

lolz.
Well I'll be darned. :o I guess it was automatic under YaBB, since I never remembered checking anything. I really am a newb when it comes to forum posting...

And the tongue smiley! I guess it uses a lowercase p instead of an uppercase now. Or at least I think that's how it used to be. Whatever, I'm just glad it's "back" (even if it gives off a slightly different vibe). :D

Thanks Ego Slayer!

tape_measure
2006-10-28, 05:35 PM
I have a couple of games around here and there and I jsut noticed something that's annoying...but not the end of the world...yet.

When i start up a new game, I try to have a link to the old threads and the OOC thread as well. When I try to follow the link, I go back to the "These forums are closed...you can go here...gianitp.com/forums.."

Any hope that will change?

AmberVael
2006-10-28, 05:37 PM
Sorry TM, but I'm pretty sure you have to redo the links yourself.

tape_measure
2006-10-28, 05:42 PM
naturally...

[i]Still[i] an unhappy TM.....

Rawhide
2006-10-28, 06:11 PM

Please see the Known Bugs/Issues thread

#3. Want my avatar back :(

My profile says that my birthday is November 30. 1) That's wrong. 2) I didn't even specify my date of birth in my profile.

P.S. I don't really hate the new boards ...

One thing I rather dislike is that the PM limit seems to have severely decreased. And I can't even delete those PMs that I would be willing to delete to meet this new limit.

Moon Called
2006-10-28, 07:37 PM
It's not removed, it has been relocated to pbp.

For starters, thats a stupid place for the SMBG. PbP already has enough threads without having The Person Above Me, Werewolf and all the others filling it up. Now it will be imposible to find anything.

I do not approve of the "SMBG and The Town do not add to your post count" rule, either. People like myself spend as much effort in The Town as they do in any other Role-Play. Just becuase it's not in the PbP area doesn't take away from the fact that it IS play-by-play!

I don't like the new fetures, which are overly complex. Just squish everything back the way it used to be so I don't have to spend half an hour trying to figure out where my avatar went, and discovering that it's GONE!! I only had one copy of it, and now I have to find Sneak and see if he has it in his album.

We shouldn't have had to re-regester. It makes it possible for someone to take the username of someone important, like Sneak, El J, or Death or Llama. ((Don't be offended if I didn't use your name, those were the ones that imediantly came to me))

And it also seems that I have lost all my posts. This is silly: I was a barbarian, had made posts in places OTHER then SMBG and The Town, in fact, many other places, and more then one. And I seem to be the only one suffering from it. I'm an f'ing pixie!!!!!!!!!!

The layout is familiar, but to large. It takes up space. The usernames are much to big.

Yes, I have be royally screwed. And I'm not happy about it.

Dhavaer
2006-10-28, 07:47 PM
We shouldn't have had to re-regester. It makes it possible for someone to take the username of someone important, like Sneak, El J, or Death or Llama. ((Don't be offended if I didn't use your name, those were the ones that imediantly came to me))

You had to re-register? That's odd.

McDeath
I am ambivalent about the new forum.

Mr. Moon
For starters, thats a stupid place for the SMBG. PbP already has enough threads without having The Person Above Me, Werewolf and all the others filling it up. Now it will be imposible to find anything.

I do not approve of the "SMBG and The Town do not add to your post count" rule, either. People like myself spend as much effort in The Town as they do in any other Role-Play. Just becuase it's not in the PbP area doesn't take away from the fact that it IS play-by-play!

I don't like the new fetures, which are overly complex. Just squish everything back the way it used to be so I don't have to spend half an hour trying to figure out where my avatar went, and discovering that it's GONE!! I only had one copy of it, and now I have to find Sneak and see if he has it in his album.

And it also seems that I have lost all my posts. This is silly: I was a barbarian, had made posts in places OTHER then SMBG and The Town, in fact, many other places, and more then one. And I seem to be the only one suffering from it. I'm an f'ing pixie!!!!!!!!!!

The layout is familiar, but to large. It takes up space. The usernames are much to big.

Yes, I have be royally screwed. And I'm not happy about it.

Weird. It seems that when it says all usernames that have underscores have spaces instead. *growls*

Bears With Lasers
2006-10-28, 07:51 PM
I can't send PMs (zillion seconds until PM), and the boards have become very narrow--far too much space allotted for avatar/username.

The Demented One
2006-10-28, 08:14 PM
My only gripe is that I can't look at "User CP" without immediately thinking dirty thoughts.

Ego Slayer
2006-10-28, 08:21 PM
Demented, I'm sure you're one of the few with that problem. ;)

Dhavaer
2006-10-28, 08:23 PM

I have it too. What's worse is that I can't figure out what dirty thing it stands for.
It's like my conviction that Dash Rendar is an anagram of something.

The Demented One
2006-10-28, 08:24 PM
I would suspect Gorbash has run into it as well. Alas, the curse of a /b/tard.

I have it too. What's worse is that I can't figure out what dirty thing it stands for.The first thing my mind goes to is scrubbing bubbles. I need therapy. :(

It's like my conviction that Dash Rendar is an anagram of something.Yo. (http://wordsmith.org/anagram/anagram.cgi?anagram=Dash+Rendar)

Mr. Moon
2006-10-28, 08:39 PM
I have it too. What's worse is that I can't figure out what dirty thing it stands for.

Heh. I knew something weird was going on in my head. I'm a kid with an over active imagination. Just imagine what pops into my head.

You know, I just reilized it ment Control Panel...

Ego Slayer
2006-10-28, 08:42 PM
You twisted, twisted people... :p

The Demented One
2006-10-28, 09:32 PM
You twisted, twisted people... :p
Does it help that the second and third things it brings to mind are Captain Picard and Captain Planet?

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-10-28, 09:46 PM
I would suspect Gorbash has run into it as well. Alas, the curse of a /b/tard.
I had that particular internal monologue about 5 days ago ;)

If you take a look at the forum structure, you'll see that the SMBG threads are still in their own seperate forum, and furthermore, that the standard PbP forum has been modified to have three seperate channels in an effort to make it easier to find things there. So, there is no crowding issue due to the move - it was simply determined that SMBG counted as a PbP forum, and thus should be placed in that forum category, as opposed to the Discussion category.

Part of the problem that led to the switchover to the new software was the sheer volume of posts generated in SMBG and the Town, and the other PbP forums. The alternative to the move, and to making some adjustments as to how those forums work, would have been to shut them down, which was an unacceptable option. Both forums are important features for the boards as a whole. The decision to not have posts from those areas show in the overall post count was not due to those areas being "less important" or "second class," it was an effort to limit their overall impact on server load.

Besides, it's a standing rule on this forum that posts counts/board rank is not to be used as a measure of anything save simple accounting. Anyone who puts down someone for a low/lower count or rank, or declares superiority due to a high/higher count or rank, would be in violation of this rule.

As custom avatars had to be linked over from another site, your avatar is still out there. The vBulletin default option is to have avatars uploaded to the server - and since the whole switch resulted from too much load on the old server, using avatars in this way would have simply put us back to where we began. We are currently working on adding the custom avatar option back onto the forum - this is one of the highest priority fixes currently in progress.

Make certain you are using your old username and not the display name - for example, my username was Gorbash_Kazdar, so I had to login under that the first time (there is a thread to request name changes). If you cannot log in to your account at all, then that's a seperate issue that we'll have to look into. No one should have had to re-register (unless they had 0 posts prior to the move).

As for the new features on the forum, many of them were ones often requested on the older forums, but unavailable due to the way that software worked. vBulletin offers more customization on that front, so additional useful features are in the works. Yes, vBulletin works differently in certain aspects than YaBB did; even without the new features, we cannot make it work exactly the same. Lastly, some of the issues with how certain things currently work is due to some quirks with the way the data from the old forum was imported - over time, many of these issues will simply go away since old data will be replaced by new.

LoopyZebra
2006-10-28, 10:06 PM
Oh. Something that just occured to me while reading Gorbash's post. What happened to those stars under our names that denoted rank? I momentarily forgot that Gorbash was a mod (I just woke up...) while reading the post and wondered why he was speaking so authoratively. Anyways, something along the lines of those stars would be welcome.

Vaniel
2006-10-28, 11:00 PM
I haven't even tried the PMs yet. Though I find it a hassel, since I usually save mt total PM box in an HTML file, now I only have text, and when I download the file, my sent ones, saved ones, and received ones, are ALL mixed together. It is impossible, with the new software, to view in total each one of my received PMs, and am in an impossiblity to save them

Though, it is not something I can't deal with. I'll find another way, hehe

-------------------------------

Besides the PMs, I love the new boards.

For the SMBG, almost every other forum having one of these have the "Don't count in post count" option enabled.

I hate the new boards, because people start whining. Be glad that there actually IS a forum for you to post on, and not forcing you to wait hours because of the server over-load.

HempRope
2006-10-28, 11:30 PM
Oh. Something that just occured to me while reading Gorbash's post. What happened to those stars under our names that denoted rank? I momentarily forgot that Gorbash was a mod (I just woke up...) while reading the post and wondered why he was speaking so authoratively. Anyways, something along the lines of those stars would be welcome.
His 'Warchief' status is a nice hint, but it doesn't catch the eye as quickly as stars do. I agree that we need something to at least make Mods stand out. Maybe they could just add a little sherrif-badge to their avatars...

2006-10-28, 11:36 PM
The Impersonator: They often speak like this. But a bit higher on the red normally. This often helps differ them from the others.

Dispozition
2006-10-28, 11:38 PM
Yeah, but the don't always do that. Only when they're modding. I like to know when they're mods all the time...You know...Just in case...

Mortia De Luna Draco
2006-10-28, 11:42 PM
Ah, the Mods are harmless, they just have power...

*ZZZAPPP!!!*

*sizzle*

I mean, yeah... Sorry lilly...

*slump*

Oeryn
2006-10-29, 12:20 AM
I like what I've seen, so far. I'll have to second VT's beef about limiting the length of posts. I've got a couple reference posts in the game I'm running that got pretty scrambled in the change, and I can't go back and fix 'em without cutting a LOT, which I'd rather not do.

Also, I think it was the Winged One who mentioned the loss of the Guide to PbPing. One of the first things I went to look for, and it's gone.

Roland St. Jude
2006-10-29, 12:30 AM
His 'Warchief' status is a nice hint, but it doesn't catch the eye as quickly as stars do. I agree that we need something to at least make Mods stand out. Maybe they could just add a little sherrif-badge to their avatars...

Badges? We don't need no stinking badges! Oh - wait, what's that then, um...nevermind. ;)

For some reason, the first mod avatar I pictured with a badge was Wampa - with a big yellow badge on his belly like a Carebear! Excellent idea! (<sotto voce> - if that doesn't keep them from stealing my badge nothing will.)

I do agree that something should be done to indicate who we are just for general informational purposes, even when we're not posting in red text. I'll look into that.

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-10-29, 07:59 AM
I have an ICQ icon but I don't use ICQ.
I find editing your nonexistent ICQ address under your profile fixes this problem. I think there might be a stray space in that box.

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-10-29, 08:09 AM
Also, I think it was the Winged One who mentioned the loss of the Guide to PbPing. One of the first things I went to look for, and it's gone.
All of the stickied threads from YaBB got un-stuck in the move, so we had to go find them and re-stick them. I forgot to look for the PbP Guide. You can find it here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2714), and it has been re-stuck.

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-10-29, 09:04 AM
Uh, this is annoying...

I just found out that smilies count against the 4 image limit. And I was just making a list of known smilies for the purpose of discussion in a small tangent of a Friendly Banter thread.

Ego Slayer
2006-10-29, 01:31 PM
What is wrong with the Search option?! I keep trying to look for something in an old RB thread and it just keeps saying my keywords show no results. But it obviously not broken because when I tried other words it worked. :mad:

Mr. Moon
2006-10-29, 03:15 PM
I had that particular internal monologue about 5 days ago ;)

If you take a look at the forum structure, you'll see that the SMBG threads are still in their own seperate forum, and furthermore, that the standard PbP forum has been modified to have three seperate channels in an effort to make it easier to find things there. So, there is no crowding issue due to the move - it was simply determined that SMBG counted as a PbP forum, and thus should be placed in that forum category, as opposed to the Discussion category.

Part of the problem that led to the switchover to the new software was the sheer volume of posts generated in SMBG and the Town, and the other PbP forums. The alternative to the move, and to making some adjustments as to how those forums work, would have been to shut them down, which was an unacceptable option. Both forums are important features for the boards as a whole. The decision to not have posts from those areas show in the overall post count was not due to those areas being "less important" or "second class," it was an effort to limit their overall impact on server load.

Besides, it's a standing rule on this forum that posts counts/board rank is not to be used as a measure of anything save simple accounting. Anyone who puts down someone for a low/lower count or rank, or declares superiority due to a high/higher count or rank, would be in violation of this rule.

As custom avatars had to be linked over from another site, your avatar is still out there. The vBulletin default option is to have avatars uploaded to the server - and since the whole switch resulted from too much load on the old server, using avatars in this way would have simply put us back to where we began. We are currently working on adding the custom avatar option back onto the forum - this is one of the highest priority fixes currently in progress.

Make certain you are using your old username and not the display name - for example, my username was Gorbash_Kazdar, so I had to login under that the first time (there is a thread to request name changes). If you cannot log in to your account at all, then that's a seperate issue that we'll have to look into. No one should have had to re-register (unless they had 0 posts prior to the move).

As for the new features on the forum, many of them were ones often requested on the older forums, but unavailable due to the way that software worked. vBulletin offers more customization on that front, so additional useful features are in the works. Yes, vBulletin works differently in certain aspects than YaBB did; even without the new features, we cannot make it work exactly the same. Lastly, some of the issues with how certain things currently work is due to some quirks with the way the data from the old forum was imported - over time, many of these issues will simply go away since old data will be replaced by new.

*hangs head in shame* Thank you Gorbash. I'm such a ditz.

imageek
2006-10-29, 03:28 PM
i still have to wait a [haley]bajillion[haley] seconds to send my pm and i have to pm my Dm (not you moon)

The Giant
2006-10-29, 06:35 PM
Yeah, as Gorbash said, the Town and the SMBG boards were accountable for something like 3/4 of the bandwidth used by the old message board, especailly as people refreshed over and over to see if anyone had added to a specific thread. The debate was had on how to handle this, and more than one member of the staff suggested to me that they be shut down entirely. I decided that this was too drastic, and that they SMBG and Town specifically did deserve a place here.

However, they ARE prone to quick, thoughtless posts for the purpose of running up a post count. I'm not saying everyone who posts there does that--far from it--but come on, you're kidding yourself if you think there aren't a fair number who do. I made the decision to turn off post counting on the theory that the people who really enjoy the games will not care, because they are here to play first and foremost, and the people who want to just boost their post count will not continue to drain the resources of the new server, because they won't be getting their precious post count anymore.

Regarding the picture/word limit, yeah, I didn't see that before. I'll try to change that now.

And as far as smilies...look for a distinctly unique replacement for them in the near future.

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-10-29, 06:48 PM
And as far as smilies...look for a distinctly unique replacement for them in the near future.
* eyes light up *

Sounds like a worthwhile promise.

(Though I hope the current smilies don't feel betrayed at me saying that, seeing as how I participated in naming them...)

2006-10-29, 06:51 PM
Dan would be ashamed.

Somehow yellow smilys seem more life like than green and blue ones...

HempRope
2006-10-29, 07:31 PM
Oooh... mystical and exciting.

I'm likeing the new boards on the whole. But they feel sort of... unweildy, somehow. Sort of like Macs... they're so 'user-friendly' that I can't understand them. Everything's nice and big that it feels sort of clumsy and condescending. Also, more profesional and less friendly.
I think part of the size problem comes from that huge hulking sidebar over there, but still, something about the whole scheme doesn't sit right with me. I'll get over it, though.

EDIT: And for some reason, I always forget to check the next page. I think it's something about the 'new posts' button being so convenient. I assume it's showing me all the new posts, or something... dunno. But I keep posting nonsequiteurs.

The Giant
2006-10-29, 07:59 PM
OK, some changes:

1.) I've removed the "Maximum Images per post" restriction. This may come back once the avatars are re-enabled, but at a much higher level than 4 images per post and sig.

2.) The maximum characters-per-post has been doubled to 100,000.

3.) The maximum characters-per-PM has been increased to 50,000.

4.) EDIT: Never mind.

Saithis Bladewing
2006-10-29, 08:00 PM

I love you. You just made my day. ;D

Mr. Moon
2006-10-29, 08:43 PM
*gasp* It's... it's... HIM! The Giant himself! *sparkley eyes* I never thought this day would come! Banjo smiles upon this day.

New smilies, to. Sweet.

Asmodeus
2006-10-29, 08:59 PM
List of Grievances:
Lack of Avatar
Division of In Character forum to Channels
Quotation marks in transferred posts showing as html script instead of as quotation marks
Carriage Returns in transferred signatures showing as double Ampersands
PM limit of 100 messages
Instant Messaging usernames entered in my user profile in the old forum didn't transfer properly.
Private Message 'Empty Folder' link doesn't seem to work at all times.
Deleting a Post takes an extra step now.

And this one doesn't have much to do with these boards in particular. Its something that carried over from the last boards. But there is a bit two-inch wide tan bar on the left side of the screen which is just wasted real estate. It comes from the 'new' template applied to all of the website pages. Its because of the News, Comics, Forums, etc links on the left bar. The space reserved for them carries down the entire page.

MrNexx
2006-10-29, 10:08 PM
A rather minor one, but something I found visually useful, was the old board's system of alternating colors for each post.... one would be white, then tan, then white again. I also concur with whoever said that the sidebat where the names are could do with shrinking.

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-10-29, 10:15 PM
Personally, I appreciate having the sidebar room. If you get too concerned with avoiding "wasted" space, you risk everything becoming too cluttered. These new boards come off (to me) as being a bit more busy, from a visual standpoint, than the old ones. I was somewhat overwhelmed when I first saw them. So having a bit of breathing room is a Good Thing.

Obey the site Feng Shui. ;)

Dario
2006-10-29, 10:28 PM
Now that it's been mentioned, the forum does look odd by having post messages start in the middle of the screen. Perhaps if the sidebar was on the right, although that could be an eyesore itself. Maybe some sort of compact overhead menu could work, but I don't know if that's feasible. Not a huge concern either way, though, just something I noticed.

Starla
2006-10-29, 10:34 PM
It'd be nice if people were considerate enough to keep their sig size down to a reasonable level - if even your long posts are shorter than your sig then sort it out!

I agree an actual limit is needed though - it must be tough to drop a cool image when you get a new one you want to show...maybe limit the number of figures to some number as a start?

I don't like trying to figure out where a signature ends and a post begins. Some people over clutter their signature space. You don't have to have every cool thing there all the time.

I like that there is an option to not "show your signature"

Lilly
2006-10-29, 10:43 PM
There is an option when you post to not show your signature.

It's a small check box off to the right in Quick Reply. And you can change it if you edit a post, here's one without my sig.

HempRope
2006-10-29, 10:44 PM
Personally, I appreciate having the sidebar room. If you get too concerned with avoiding "wasted" space, you risk everything becoming too cluttered. These new boards come off (to me) as being a bit more busy, from a visual standpoint, than the old ones. I was somewhat overwhelmed when I first saw them. So having a bit of breathing room is a Good Thing.

Obey the site Feng Shui. ;)
Hm... I actually think it's less busy, on the whole, and it comes off as being sterile.

I don't like trying to figure out where a signature ends and a post begins. Some people over clutter their signature space. You don't have to have every cool thing there all the time.

I wish there was a bigger line, like on the old boards, between post and sig.

And I don't like that you can't view an entire thread as you're replying. I sometimes forget exactly what the last person said, and indtead of just hitting the 'end' button I have to go back a page or hit the end button and then follow a link to a whole 'nother window. Clumsy.

Asmodeus
2006-10-29, 10:57 PM
And I don't like that you can't view an entire thread as you're replying. I sometimes forget exactly what the last person said, and indtead of just hitting the 'end' button I have to go back a page or hit the end button and then follow a link to a whole 'nother window. Clumsy.

Actually, this isn't quite true.

You can view the whole thread when replying. It just takes an extra click.

Instead of using the QuickReply feature, click the button that says Post Reply. Scroll to the bottom of the thread's posts and you will see a link to view the whole thread.

Edit: scratch that. It doesn't seem to work properly. I'll go add that to the list of bugs.

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-10-29, 11:00 PM
That doesn't give you the thread in the reply window. It just opens the thread up again in a new window. (I just tried it.)

Asmodeus
2006-10-29, 11:15 PM
Yep. I posted that to the bug thread, to see what could be done about it.

Lilly
2006-10-29, 11:23 PM
If you scroll down a bit past the buttons that's the thread review, only in reverse order. And only shows the last 30 posts or so.

SalSar_Thiran
2006-10-30, 12:27 AM
The one thing that I do not like in the board switch is probably one of the only things that nothing can be done about. I completely disdain the thick brown bar, and individual boxes for each post. I find them to be inordinately distracting and make the entire page appear extremely busy and cluttered. If that bar could be taken out or reduced and the space seperating posts removed, I think the board would be easier to read.

In all honesty, I feel that the alternating color scheme previously was far far superior to the new seperated post scheme.

Mortia De Luna Draco
2006-10-30, 12:29 AM
Yeah, as Gorbash said, the Town and the SMBG boards were accountable for something like 3/4 of the bandwidth used by the old message board, especailly as people refreshed over and over to see if anyone had added to a specific thread. The debate was had on how to handle this, and more than one member of the staff suggested to me that they be shut down entirely. I decided that this was too drastic, and that they SMBG and Town specifically did deserve a place here.

However, they ARE prone to quick, thoughtless posts for the purpose of running up a post count. I'm not saying everyone who posts there does that--far from it--but come on, you're kidding yourself if you think there aren't a fair number who do. I made the decision to turn off post counting on the theory that the people who really enjoy the games will not care, because they are here to play first and foremost, and the people who want to just boost their post count will not continue to drain the resources of the new server, because they won't be getting their precious post count anymore.

I would again just like to thank you sir for doing this. I hadnt realised that we were rather dependant on post counts for our little cliques, and now it will be easier for the newbs to the town to get along. I didnt feel this way at first, but I have since come around...

*sits*
*Tail wags*
*waits in eager antisipation*

*pant*

*pant*

*pant...*

Rawhide
2006-10-30, 03:55 AM
OK, some changes:

1.) I've removed the "Maximum Images per post" restriction. This may come back once the avatars are re-enabled, but at a much higher level than 4 images per post and sig.

2.) The maximum characters-per-post has been doubled to 100,000.

3.) The maximum characters-per-PM has been increased to 50,000.

4.) EDIT: Never mind.
Inform the troops! Communications have completely broken down!

I actually already fixed these Rich, max characters per post went from 10k to 50k (largest post on the old boards being 30k), so if you don't mind I'm just going to go and halve these numbers to help save the boards...

Tormsskull
2006-10-30, 09:13 AM
I thought the old boards were very appealing. I liked the less complicated design of YABB. As far as post count and rank, I'm really new around here and I never felt like someone with more posts than me was somehow better/smarter/more elite than I. A post count was a simple way to determine who is more active on the boards. I never took post count to mean you contributed more quality information to the boards than another person.

I completely understand those people complaining about losing their post count/rank. Usually when an administrator was going to make a change like this, they'd let you know ahead of time. That way people have the opportunity to ease themselves into the situation.

I understand that avatars not working is currently being discussed in the Bugs area, but it is another reason I dislike the new boards. With the removal of avatars it has increased signature size, which can be incredibly annoying.

All in all, I am sure Vbulletin is here to stay so everyone will just have to get used to it. It will take sometime, but hopefully it will be better in the long run.

P.S. Is there a way to disable scrolling text under people's names? That is very distracting.

Rawhide
2006-10-30, 09:17 AM
P.S. Is there a way to disable scrolling text under people's names? That is very distracting.
*DING*DING*DING* You win a prize! First person to comment on it.

It is completely disabled, I was just messing around with stuff, the lone scrolling text under my name will be removed soon enough.

2006-10-30, 09:22 AM
How did you do that? Is it a spooky administrator thing to celebrate Halloween, which I believe may have started over your part of our Island. We need to start a thread so I can dig my costume out....

I digress. Isn't it a while to Talk Like A Pirate Day anyway?

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-10-30, 09:25 AM
A post count was a simple way to determine who is more active on the boards. I never took post count to mean you contributed more quality information to the boards than another person.
Exactly. There's a lot of the stuff in a person's post count could just be pure noise.

But then some people will invariably think otherwise.

Ikkitosen
2006-10-30, 09:43 AM
There is an option when you post to not show your signature.

It's a small check box off to the right in Quick Reply. And you can change it if you edit a post, here's one without my sig.

True, but I don't think those people who will use this are the problem when it comes to inconsiderate size of signatures.

HempRope
2006-10-30, 09:48 AM

Actually, this isn't quite true.

You can view the whole thread when replying. It just takes an extra click.

Instead of using the QuickReply feature, click the button that says Post Reply. Scroll to the bottom of the thread's posts and you will see a link to view the whole thread.

Edit: scratch that. It doesn't seem to work properly. I'll go add that to the list of bugs.Actually, that's exactly what I was saying I didn't like. When you use 'Quick Reply,' this isn't a problem, only when you actually his 'Post Reply.'

That doesn't give you the thread in the reply window. It just opens the thread up again in a new window. (I just tried it.)Precisely.

If you scroll down a bit past the buttons that's the thread review, only in reverse order. And only shows the last 30 posts or so.Do you mean there's some way to reverse things? That'd be nifty. If that is what you mean, I can't seem to find it. But since I don't think it is what you mean, I'm going to go suggest it or something...

Inform the troops! Communications have completely broken down!

I actually already fixed these Rich, max characters per post went from 10k to 50k (largest post on the old boards being 30k), so if you don't mind I'm just going to go and halve these numbers to help save the boards...Jeez, Rawhide, stop being so dang efficient!

tape_measure
2006-10-30, 10:51 AM
Well i psoted soemthign earlier and I had a bit of a genious moment

what?! yeah...I have them ever so often.

I asked about the fact that the old OOC thread link and other various links in posts lead to the "Forums are not retunring..." bit.

Will there ever be a way to fix that?
if not...
Is there a way we can rearrange the actual location in the address bar?
(ex: OLD LINK SAID: http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=(add in appropriate thread here)...
NEW LINK SAYS: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/(add in afore mentione approporiate thread here)...)

does this make sense? Sometimes my genious is hard to put into words ;D

Rawhide
2006-10-30, 04:04 PM
Well i psoted soemthign earlier and I had a bit of a genious moment

what?! yeah...I have them ever so often.

I asked about the fact that the old OOC thread link and other various links in posts lead to the "Forums are not retunring..." bit.

Will there ever be a way to fix that?
if not...
Is there a way we can rearrange the actual location in the address bar?
(ex: OLD LINK SAID: http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=(add (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=%28add) in appropriate thread here)...
NEW LINK SAYS: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/(add (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/%28add) in afore mentione approporiate thread here)...)

does this make sense? Sometimes my genious is hard to put into words ;D
No, I'm sorry, they use completely different unique keys.

tape_measure
2006-10-30, 04:29 PM
oh well.....it was worth a shot, huh?

Lucky
2006-10-30, 05:26 PM
I think I see that the post buttons have been changed quite recently, and to be honest, I liked them much better the way they were before, the other ones just looked better.

Roland St. Jude
2006-10-30, 08:59 PM

True, but I don't think those people who will use this are the problem when it comes to inconsiderate size of signatures.

I think the feature that you are looking for is the one that lets you avoid seeing any signatures. Go to User CP, then Edit Options. The third box down is "Thread Display Options" and there is a check box that you can uncheck, which will prevent you from seeing any sigs.

tape_measure
2006-10-31, 10:37 AM
I found another question to ask...

In, what Roland just described, there is an option to change how many posts you can have on one page. I've since changed those settings to have only 10 (or maybe 15) psots per page. Doins so makes the page count jump...a lot. I think one of my threads, under the afore mentioned settings, extends to 69 pages (insert lame, middle school laughter).

Should I move it back to the preset, or are doing away with the 50 page thread limit?

Lilly
2006-10-31, 03:28 PM
Apparantly my post earlier didn't take...

The 50 page rule is still in effect and we will judge 50 pages by the default page view.

tape_measure
2006-10-31, 05:03 PM
ahh....I apparently missed it entirely.

Sorry about that. I'll go back to the default setting once more.

Charity
2006-11-01, 06:40 AM
Hey aside from shutting the hell up (an unlikely event I'm sure you all know) is there anyway to stay a bugbear forever? I'm rather taken with it.
C'mon Raw there must be a way...

2006-11-01, 07:17 AM
If they can reset the count Caw style maybe they can lose a few?

I bet you just want to give bear hugs, you big softie. :tongue:

Premier
2006-11-01, 07:46 AM
Two problems I can think of right now:

1, As it has been said before, the current avatar situation is untenable. Not because people can't have avatars proper - I could cope with that, and after a bit of bitching, everyone else could cope with that, too -, but because everybody's putting their avatars in their sigs now. Meaning that instead of being conveniently stowed away in a place where it does no harm, now they're disrupting text flow, majorly. Just now I've randomly scrolled to a spot earlier in this thread, and guess what? On my 1280*1024 resolution (which is as high as I can set it), my screen contained a total of four lines of actual post text! Everything else was (lesser) part sig text and (greater) part avatars, which is ridiculous.

2, Smaller problem, but on the same note. Visually, every single post is now a separate 'box' with text in it. Formerly, a thread was a single long 'box' with dividing lines between individual posts. This means that the screen area between actual bits of post text are even more visually fragmented, making threads harder on the eye to read. Now, some might say that this is not such a big thing, but I do have some basic knowledge of visual design and typography, and it's the aggregation of 'small things' like that which make the difference between a clear, easily readable forum and a horribly cluttered visual train wreck.

HempRope
2006-11-01, 09:32 AM
Hey aside from shutting the hell up (an unlikely event I'm sure you all know) is there anyway to stay a bugbear forever? I'm rather taken with it.
C'mon Raw there must be a way...
Delete a post every time you write a new one?

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-11-01, 10:16 AM
Ok, dunno if this has been mentioned, but the signatures and posting are driving me up the wall.

#1. If I post, say, a monster I made on Wizards to here, it will not work. If I have the title colored green and with the book antiqua font, when I paste it here the entire post is green and of the new font, along with the size and everything. The code just doesn't seem to work.

#2. If I wish to edit a post or my signature it doesn't show me the code I used to color it/size it, etc., and so I can't, saw, just delete the color and add a new one, no, I have to delete the entire message or redo it all from scratch.

HempRope
2006-11-01, 10:44 AM
I can help with #2. There's a button in the upper right corner of the editing (or posting) box with two A's and a slash. Click it, and the formatting reverts to code.

Charity
2006-11-01, 11:41 AM
Delete a post every time you write a new one?
Darn it you may just have something there
Charity ticks the 'thick as pig spoon' box on his membership card.

:smallredface:

fryer1
2006-11-01, 12:28 PM
A problem i found just now was that there is a post minimum of 10 characters, which is annoying in threads like 3, 2, 1, Countdown in SMBG when you're just writing a 6 digit number. Perhaps this limit can be removed exclusively from SMBG.

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-11-01, 12:49 PM
Ok, dunno if this has been mentioned, but the signatures and posting are driving me up the wall.

#1. If I post, say, a monster I made on Wizards to here, it will not work. If I have the title colored green and with the book antiqua font, when I paste it here the entire post is green and of the new font, along with the size and everything. The code just doesn't seem to work.

#2. If I wish to edit a post or my signature it doesn't show me the code I used to color it/size it, etc., and so I can't, saw, just delete the color and add a new one, no, I have to delete the entire message or redo it all from scratch.
HempRope's right about that - that particular button switches the editor into WYSIWYG mode, which can really screw things up if you'e using actual code. Also, if you go into the User CP > Edit Options, see if you're set to use the WYSIWYG editor; if you are, switch to the Standard. That should help.

TinSoldier
2006-11-01, 02:30 PM
What's the time limit after which with no activity the board logs you out? It seems pretty short.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-11-01, 05:14 PM
Also, if you go into the User CP > Edit Options, see if you're set to use the WYSIWYG editor; if you are, switch to the Standard. That should help.
But if its in standard it won't show all the nifty features I thought? Smilies, fonts, colors...

inky13112
2006-11-01, 08:16 PM
I used to like the new forums, up until about 5 minutes ago. I used to like reading through the old threads, as getting old perspectives on the old comics was entertaining, and also because I refused to pay alot of attention to the current forums until I was up to date on the old. Now they have been torn from the forums and I'm left sitting in the dark about all the funny things that were said back then. How much forum space could these old seldom accessed threads take? And now all their ancient splendor has been wiped out. If you can't put all these back then maybe just the comic threads? Or were these casualties of the move, irretrievable unless someone saved them on their harddrive. Or perhaps I'm missing something here and they are really staring me in the face awaiting my return or perhaps mocking my stupidity. By the way I'm only refering to the threads in the OotS forum, not all of them.
Anxiously awaiting your response,
inky13112

P.S. if anyone has these old threads saved could they perhaps tell me so, that I might tell them my E-mail adress and they could E-mail them to me? This would be greatly appreciated.

Roland St. Jude
2006-11-01, 08:48 PM
I used to like the new forums, up until about 5 minutes ago. I used to like reading through the old threads, as getting old perspectives on the old comics was entertaining, and also because I refused to pay alot of attention to the current forums until I was up to date on the old. Now they have been torn from the forums and I'm left sitting in the dark about all the funny things that were said back then. How much forum space could these old seldom accessed threads take? And now all their ancient splendor has been wiped out. If you can't put all these back then maybe just the comic threads? Or were these casualties of the move, irretrievable unless someone saved them on their harddrive. Or perhaps I'm missing something here and they are really staring me in the face awaiting my return or perhaps mocking my stupidity. By the way I'm only refering to the threads in the OotS forum, not all of them.
Anxiously awaiting your response,
inky13112

P.S. if anyone has these old threads saved could they perhaps tell me so, that I might tell them my E-mail adress and they could E-mail them to me? This would be greatly appreciated.

Well, I wouldn't say it's staring you in the face exactly...but they are there. The "problem" is that the board defaults to showing you just the last month's worth of threads. And your personal settings are set to follow the board defaults. But you can change all that.

If you want to see the old threads in a single instance:
Go to the OotS forum. At the bottom of the page there's a drop down menu that controls what threads you see (it's set to only show you the last month's threads by default). You can set it to show you all the threads from the beginning if you want.

And if you want to always see threads from farther back:
Go to "User CP" then "Edit Options" and scroll down to the section called "Thread Display Options". The last thing in that box is a drop down menu called "Default Thread Age Cut Off." Just use the drop down menu to select how far back you want to see threads all the time. (Make sure to save your changes using the "Save Changes" button at the bottom of the screen.)

Good luck! :smallsmile:

inky13112
2006-11-01, 09:05 PM
Thank you much!
:embarresed:
hee hee I feel kinda ignorant now. Well then I geuss thats all my problems taken care of. Hmm don't seem to have any thing relavent left to say. LALALA

Sorry leaving now

Roland St. Jude
2006-11-01, 09:24 PM
Thank you much!
:embarresed:
hee hee I feel kinda ignorant now. Well then I geuss thats all my problems taken care of. Hmm don't seem to have any thing relavent left to say. LALALA

Sorry leaving now

You're welcome. This new software can do lots of neat things, but sometimes it's hard to know how to make it do them. :smallcool:

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-11-02, 05:19 PM
What exactly is the Red, Yellow, and Green bar at the top of the private messages page?

NEO|Phyte
2006-11-02, 05:26 PM
Red = # of PMs in the viewed folder
Orange = All PMs
Green = max # of PMs

Blood
2006-11-03, 05:39 PM
Sorry if this has already been mentioned, I might have missed something while skimming through the thread...

I noticed you can no longer change the title of a thread. Therefore, the stickied thread in the Webcomics forum still has the tag [Last Updated 10/12/06]. Is there any way I can edit it myself, or if not, can a mod permanently get rid of it?

Lilly
2006-11-03, 06:44 PM
Will be done!

Edit: Is done!

Blood
2006-11-03, 09:17 PM
Will be done!

Edit: Is done!
Thanks much!

So I guess there really isn't a way to change the title of a thread anymore?

InaVegt
2006-11-03, 11:43 PM
Thanks much!

So I guess there really isn't a way to change the title of a thread anymore?
Actually there is, in advanced editing.

Edit: like this

NEO|Phyte
2006-11-03, 11:47 PM
but it doesnt actually change the title of the thread, even if its done to the OP. Which is the problem being discussed.

Gaming-Poet
2006-11-04, 12:12 AM
Change is not always good.

Han shot first.

Darth Vader was a majestic villain, not a cartoonishly psychopathic emo-kid.

Vulcans are not sensual emotional science officers lusting for Captain Archer.

This new forum is not an improvement in any fathomable way.

Does anyone have any idea how to set avatars in this ridiculous new forum?

NEO|Phyte
2006-11-04, 12:20 AM
Does anyone have any idea how to set avatars in this ridiculous new forum?
Currently, you can't. Its being worked on, high priority.

HempRope
2006-11-04, 12:52 AM
Well, that was a quick downtime fix thingy...

Blood
2006-11-05, 03:19 PM
but it doesnt actually change the title of the thread, even if its done to the OP. Which is the problem being discussed.
Right. The post title is changed, but the display title on the forum remains.

Rawhide
2006-11-05, 04:41 PM
The thread title can be changed, you have all had the permissions set to do it since day one. You just need to work out how, I don't have time to experiment right now.

Gaming-Poet
2006-11-06, 03:46 PM
Yes, I am very persistent.

dauphinous
2006-11-06, 04:52 PM
Has anyone figured out how to change the name of a thread yet? As already mentioned, changing the title of the OP has no effect on the thread name, and I can't see any other way to affect it. I would very much like to take the 'recruiting' out of my game thread that is no longer recruiting. :smallsmile:

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-11-06, 05:02 PM
This new forum is not an improvement in any fathomable way.
Mind expanding on that? Maybe minus the Star Wars references, just for the sake of clarity? (:smallwink:)

I can certainly fathom a fair number of improvements, from multiquote to quick reply to just plain being less of a strain on the server. This has almost every feature the old forums had as well as a ton of new ones. And the few features that didn't survive the transistion are in the process of being added.

I really can't see how the new forum is anything but an improvement after all that.

Rawhide
2006-11-06, 05:02 PM
Has anyone figured out how to change the name of a thread yet? As already mentioned, changing the title of the OP has no effect on the thread name, and I can't see any other way to affect it. I would very much like to take the 'recruiting' out of my game thread that is no longer recruiting. :smallsmile:
Have you tried double clicking the whitespace next to the title in forum view? Thats how mods do it.

Or, when viewing the thread, you could try clicking Thread Tools and selecting Edit Thread. Again, I haven't had time to test that these options are available to users.

Bookman
2006-11-06, 06:22 PM
Exactly which white space are you referring to? I clicked several and didn't find it and under "Thread Tools" there is no "Edit thread" option

dauphinous
2006-11-06, 06:22 PM
Have you tried double clicking the whitespace next to the title in forum view? Thats how mods do it.

Or, when viewing the thread, you could try clicking Thread Tools and selecting Edit Thread. Again, I haven't had time to test that these options are available to users.

No, those options do not appear to be available to us unwashed masses.

Rawhide
2006-11-07, 03:01 AM
Ok, this should be fixed. The edit thread title option was set to 0 minutes, which *should* mean infinite, but in this case didn't. It is now set to 40320 minutes. If you need to change it after then, contact a mod.

(Thats 28 days/one lunar month for the uninitiated)

dauphinous
2006-11-07, 06:34 AM
Yay! It worked. :smallsmile:

InaVegt
2006-11-07, 06:57 AM
Rawhide, in a lot of things the option for infinite is -1, maybe that's the case here as well?

Rawhide
2006-11-07, 07:24 AM
I thought of that, but none of the documentation mentions it, nor does any other setting in the control panel use it, and I am not game to try it.

The timelimit for editing of a post is set to 0, and 0 for that is infinite. 0 is also infinite for a lot of other settings, but not this.

2006-11-07, 07:33 AM
O.... set to 0 minutes, which *should* mean infinite...

Honestly Rawhide, didn't they teach you anything in Maths?

All you need is a slightly tipsy 8, place it in the "time allowed for editing" section, and wait for it to fall flat on it's face.

Then you have the symbol that does mean infinity.

And before you thank me, I was glad to help.

Rawhide
2006-11-07, 07:48 AM
Bah, you call that infinity? Try the Mandelbrot Fractal (http://video.google.com.au/videoplay?docid=1619313842463920970).

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-11-07, 08:17 AM
Okay, then try setting the time limit to "Mandelbrot." :biggrin:

Dragonmuncher
2006-11-07, 01:23 PM
Is there a way to tell when a post was made?

Knowing whether a post was made an hour or a month ago is something I never thought I'd care enough about to miss, but it turns out I do...

Bookman
2006-11-07, 01:32 PM
Top left on the little brown bar thing seperating posts :wink:

Dragonmuncher
2006-11-07, 03:06 PM

Can't believe I missed that...

fryer1
2006-11-12, 10:15 AM
With this Infractions business. I was wondering if there was any way of hiding how many 'points' you have from the sidebar because every time i look at one of my posts now i feel like a criminal. Yes, i realise i shouldn't have done it in the first place, but i just feel that perhaps i should be able to hide my shame.

HempRope
2006-11-12, 11:36 AM
There isn't any marking showing that you have an infraction.

Now that you've said that, though, I'll always view you as a criminal. :tongue:

Zherog
2006-11-12, 12:15 PM
Infraction marks only show to the poster who received the warning and mods; nobody else can see it. Consider it your own private Scarlet Letter. :D

Rawhide
2006-11-12, 06:27 PM
With this Infractions business. I was wondering if there was any way of hiding how many 'points' you have from the sidebar because every time i look at one of my posts now i feel like a criminal. Yes, i realise i shouldn't have done it in the first place, but i just feel that perhaps i should be able to hide my shame.
No one would have known (except yourself and the mods) if you hadn't said anything...

fryer1
2006-11-13, 11:56 AM
Fair enough. It would have been nice to know before now, but never mind.

Myatar_Panwar
2006-11-13, 06:15 PM
Someone in the avatar request frorum just made me an avatar. But im a little new to the whole process, and I wasnt sure where else to post this.
Ok so the problem: I have no idea how to put the avi on my sig.I tried copying and pasteing (bad grammer) but that didnt work, then I noticed that under signature permissions, it said "No" to uploading images for signature. So can someone please tell me how to put an avatar on my sig?

Rawhide
2006-11-13, 08:00 PM
http://www.url.to/image.gif

Myatar_Panwar
2006-11-13, 09:48 PM
How do I do that? In the request an avatar thread it just shows you the pic. Hmmmm, are you supposed to save it somewhere like on photobucket, then upload it? And do you just type that web site in the sig and it deals with it from there? (sorry if these are stupid questions, im somewhat computor deficient) :smile:

Lilly
2006-11-13, 10:13 PM
Right click (or something if you have a mac) on the picture and there should be a menu that pops up. There will be a selection labeled properties, click on that. One of the displayed properties should be Image URL. Highlight that and copy that and paste it into the code Rawhide posted.

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-11-13, 10:35 PM
Right click (or something if you have a mac)...
Well, you can have multi-button mice on Macs, too, if you so choose. (And I do so choose...)

Anyway, on Mac with a single-button mouse, you can get the appropriate menu by holding the "Control" key while clicking.

Azrael
2006-11-14, 06:19 PM
Change is not always good ... This new forum is not an improvement in any fathomable way.

Mind expanding on that?

He clearly hasn't found this guy yet: :roach:

HempRope
2006-11-14, 09:48 PM
Hey, Mods! Here's a question for you all (especially Wampa?):

When should we expect the advent of this new rolling software? Furthermore... will it be usable in all of the forums, or just in PbP? And more importantly... can we use it in the subforums themselves (Alpha, Beta, & Gamma), and the one and only OOC main forum (as opposed to the child forums)?

Update:
Furthermore, does the 'best' function apply to the rollv command?

Blood
2006-11-18, 07:26 PM
Ok, this should be fixed. The edit thread title option was set to 0 minutes, which *should* mean infinite, but in this case didn't. It is now set to 40320 minutes. If you need to change it after then, contact a mod.

(Thats 28 days/one lunar month for the uninitiated)
Thanks for that, Rawhide.

Anyway, to what I'm posting about. It's just a little nitpick, but it confused me at first, and could lead to reading ahead by mistake. The Duke's Wolf stories are in alphabetical order, not chronological. #4, #1, #3, #2 instead of 1, 2, 3, 4.

Rawhide
2006-11-19, 02:29 AM
This thread will be unstickied in 7 days time.

Captain van der Decken
2006-11-20, 03:31 PM
The 10-character minimum. It gets annoying on SMBG.

2006-11-20, 07:06 PM
There is a number of ways to get around this

* kill *

(Keep in mind spaces count)

Kill_____________

(good old white text)

kill

filler.

(just add a filler)

Pseudopseudohypoparathyroidism

(using ten character evolves creativity in the first letter last letter.)

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-11-20, 07:41 PM
I'm rather annoyed by the character count on the search feature. Short but potentially vital words get excluded from the search.

And the search feature doesn't appear to work too well, anyway. Like others that have commented on this before me, I also had "Search this thread" turn up no results on a word that I knew for sure appeared in the thread. (Try searching for "Shadowcasters" in the Simple Q&A thread, then read Question #172.)

theKOT
2006-11-21, 12:17 AM
Problem #1: I echo others in saying this: I hate the entire system now used for looking up users previous posts. To begin, some users(such as the Giant) have rather important posts they made more than 500 ago that are now almost impossible to find. I can't find several of his posts I referenced quite often in the past. Additionally, the fact that posts are now displayed in pages of twenty-five makes finding a specific post a chore. This is augmented by the fact that posts are shortened. Now to find a specific post, I must search for a very long amount of time. Now I know all of these changes were made to lower the server load, but couldn't some sort of system that searches all of a user's previous posts for a certain word be implimented? Or something to make finding certain posts easier. Please?

Problem #2: This thread is annoying to read through. Now I have to crawl through six pages before finding out if my complaint is already listed.

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-11-21, 08:17 AM
Having the printable view divided into pages is also potentially problematic. If, for some insane reason, I need to print out the entirety of a long 25-page thread (even after I chose the "40 posts to a page" option) means a lot of work for me.

It also was useful in searching an entire thread for a specific word or phrase when combined with my browser's "Find" feature. Of course, now that there's a "Search this Thread" feature on the actual forum, you'd think that wouldn't be an issue anymore, but, as I stated above, that doesn't work.

(( Yeah, I know: Server load and all that. But I was under the impression the printable view page was meant to make it easier to print. ))

Captain van der Decken
2006-11-23, 01:01 PM
I know that Death, but it's just annoying having to do that.

RandomNPC259
2006-11-23, 04:59 PM
How are you supposed to delete an accout? I scoured the FAQ and User CP to no avail.

HempRope
2006-11-30, 05:12 PM
Were gender indicators only recently restored, or have I just not been noticing them?

Furthermore, is it possible to list your gender but not display it in your brown box?

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-11-30, 07:17 PM
Gender indicators were restored not too long ago.