PDA

View Full Version : [4E] Zeitgeist: The Gears of Revolution (OOC)



Pages : [1] 2

Tukka
2012-11-29, 02:44 PM
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/k9yhyylawrt6424/sigpic63_7.gif.jpg
Out of Character Thread
[Link to In Character Thread] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14320071&goto=newpost)

Game Information

The "Condensed 16" Summary
System: D&D 4th edition
Player Count: Target party size of 5 or 6, with 1 or 2 alternates. See the player list for currently active/interested players.
Style of Play: A large part of the game is investigating mysteries and dealing with political intrigues. There will be combat and frontier adventure (especially the former) though less of those elements than your typical D&D campaign.
Medium: Play by post, with a minimum post rate of one per 48 hours.
Allowed Content: All official 4e material that is not setting/campaign-specific, plus the ZEITGEIST Players' Guide (https://www.dropbox.com/s/wr4u966u6zlvz5v/zg00a_players_guide_4e_r1.pdf).

Character Creation


Backstory: A brief (2-4 sentence) backstory is required, but more detail is welcome. Your character is an agent of the Royal Homeland Constabulary (RHC) and must be genuinely loyal to Risur (though unquestioning loyalty is not required). Selecting a background theme from the ZEITGEIST Players' Guide is encouraged but not required (note: those themes have undisclosed perks at levels 5 and 10 and possibly other advantages). Also, by the end of the first adventure you should come up with a brief description of two separate NPC informants in the city of Flint that your PC has some sort of working relationship with.
Level: 1. The campaign has arc that is supposed to span 30 levels -- we'll see how far we make it.
Wealth: 600 gp.
Ability Scores: Standard point buy/array.
Hitpoints/Health: Standard.
Alignment: Any, non-evil suggested.


Important Note

This is the resumption of a game that I started on another (non-RPG) Internet forum. We got about halfway through the first adventure before RL intervened for a few of us and I put the campaign on hiatus. You can skim or backread our adventure (http://fazed.net/forum/view/post/?id=10673175) if you want a taste of the game or my DMing style. Note that most of our players were inexperienced so I tended to spell things out and repeat things a lot, and made some allowances. I am hoping to refine and streamline things a bit more this go-round.

Still, most of the players are inexperienced with PBP, 4e, D&D or even PNP games in general, so if you want a game where all of the players are highly competent with the system, you may want to look elsewhere.

Character Advancement & Treasure
Characters will advance in level based primarily on the completion of quest objectives (essentially by DM fiat). XP will not be used or tracked. Characters will tend to advance with fewer combat encounters per level than the typical D&D adventure.

In addition, this game will take a non-traditional approach to how PC wealth is acquired. The characters are on salary and are expected to turn over valuable objects they acquire in the line of duty over to the RHC.

The PCs will still generally be in line with expected wealth levels for a game using the inherent bonuses rule (see below), and will have a good amount of control over how they are equipped. The RHC will buy any of the party's legitimately acquired gear (i.e. things they've purchased from shops or the RHC) back at its full value, though the PCs will not typically be compensated for turning in any magic items that were collected as seizures and evidence.

For more details, see the ZEITGEIST Players' Guide (https://www.dropbox.com/s/wr4u966u6zlvz5v/zg00a_players_guide_4e_r1.pdf), pages 12-13.
Initiative

For expediency, the game will utilize Group Initiative:

I will roll initiative once for each group of combatants. The initiative modifier of each group will be the averaged sum of the initiative modifiers of each individual in the group.
Whichever group scores higher on initiative acts first, as a group (unless there is a surprise round to be resolved first).
During the players' turn, players may post their actions in any order. Actions will be resolved in the order in which they are posted.
"End of next turn" bonuses and penalties will only apply on one turn for each character.

Contingencies and Immediate Actions
You should go through your character sheet, identify all powers that are immediate/opportunity actions and provide the DM will a description of the circumstances in which you want those powers.

You may revise those guidelines at any time, either on a temporary or permanent basis.

Also, in general it would be helpful for players to post actions for different contingencies, especially if other players have posted unresolved actions before you. I will have your character act according to what you describe as best as I'm able, but if your specified action is rendered impossible, I reserve the right to decide your action for the turn.
Rolling
Rolls will be made with the forum's dice roller (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100917).

The DM will roll all "reactive"/passive checks that don't take place during the character's turn. This includes initiative checks and Perception/Insight/Knowledge checks that happen in response to something that happens, as well as all rolls associated with immediate actions.

The player should make all other rolls. When a player announces an action that will (or might) require a roll, the roll should be made in the same post as the announced action. Always roll damage at the same time as your attack rolls.
Inherent bonuses
This game utilizes the Inherent bonuses rule described on page 209 of the Dark Sun Campaign Setting.

The mechanics summarized:


Characters receive an incremental +1 enhancement bonus to attack and damage rolls at levels 2, 7, 12, 17, 22 and 27. Characters also receive the attendant incremental increases in critical hit damage that go along with these bonuses.
Characters receive an incremental +1 enhancement bonus to all defenses at levels 4, 9, 14, 19, 24 and 29.
These enhancement bonuses do not stack with enhancement bonuses conferred by equipment, but PCs may still acquire magic weapons, armor and neck slot items to enjoy an enhancement bonus higher that which is granted by the inherent bonus, or to benefit from other properties of such magic equipment.
Characters receive only about 1/4 the total amount of wealth by level indicated by the treasure parcel system.


In in-game terms, these bonuses are a manifestation of a permanent ritual enchantment received by the characters when they were inducted into the RHC. The enchantment is affected by dead magic zones the same way magic items are.
Math fixes and feat tax credits

Each character receives one free weapon or implement Expertise feat at level 5. Characters that already have an Expertise feat by level 5 get a bonus feat instead.
Each character receives the Improved Defenses feat at level 7. Characters that already have Improved Defenses by level 5 get a bonus feat instead.
Each character receives Primordial as a bonus language. (Primordial is the most commonly spoken language in Risur.)
At levels 17, 22 and 27, each character adds 1 point to his or her lowest non-AC defense score.

Banned material and other restrictions

The Raise Dead ritual and comparable forms of resurrection are not generally available.
Powers that grant flight never last longer than five minutes and flying mounts do not exist.
Planar travel is difficult -- it is normally impossible for a creature to leave its home plane for more than five minutes.
Gold has an inhibiting effect on teleportation. See the ZEITGEIST Players' Guide (https://www.dropbox.com/s/wr4u966u6zlvz5v/zg00a_players_guide_4e_r1.pdf), page 5 for details.
Only the lowest level/tier versions of the following items are available: Diamond Cincture, Belt of Vim, Helm of Able Defense, Boots of Quickness, Circlet of Indomitability.
Inactivity and Retroactive Actions
In time-sensitive and high-stakes encounters such as combat and most skill challenges, players have 48 hours from the start of the party's turn to post their actions, otherwise the DM will decide that player's character's action for the turn.

If you need to drop the game, or stop playing for a period time, please notify the group. We'll understand! Also, late notice of an absence is better than no notice at all.

You may be dropped from the game and replaced with an alternate if you are inactive for more than a week without giving notice.

Also, since not all encounters have definitive beginning and end points, it's possible that I may move the game on to another encounter prematurely at times. If you feel that you had unfinished business in a previous encounter that you didn't have adequate opportunity to carry out, send me a PM letting me know. I may let you retroactively perform a few actions, if it will not affect the continuity greatly.
Thread/Post Formatting
Please see the Thread/Post Formatting section of the Guide to Play by Post Games (www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257924). See the vB Code List (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/misc.php?do=bbcode) if you don't know how to use the various tags. Pick a color to use in the IC thread -- try one of the darker colors from this list (http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_colornames.asp) other than red.
[ Status Condition Icon Key (https://dl.dropbox.com/s/03xu7t4t02im347/Status%20Condition%20Key.png) ]
I may sometimes used the "dead" indicator for enemies that are merely knocked out (it makes it more obvious which are non-combatants).

There are a few other icons I might use that aren't listed in this key -- mostly ones for bonus, as well as some alarm clock-looking icons that I might use for miscellaneous conditions.

Sometimes I forget to add icons to creatures affected by conditions, or forget to remove icons when conditions are cleared -- or I might not display some of the more redundant icons if it would obscure the affected creature's token too much.The icons are meant to be a convenience/reminder -- to get a clearer idea of who is affected by what conditions, check the latest condition summary.
The Current Party

[ PC Token Key (https://dl.dropbox.com/s/vxrfpywrk4sahlf/PCIconkey.png) ]

{table]Character | Player | Role | Class | Theme | Race
Aeric Silverspur | Falconknight06 | Striker | Rogue | Gunsmith | Half-Elf
Aurora | mullensmd | Controller | Druid | Skyseer | Razorclaw Shifter
Leif Haust | Rannoch* | Defender | Paladin | Guardian | Human
John Tinton | atomiclemming | Leader | Artificer | Technologist | Human
Saradoc Montajay II | Frothingslosh | Controller | Binder | Spirit Medium | Gnome
Taral Kasha | Tegu8788 | Leader/Multiple | Bard/Blackguard | Noble Adept | Tiefling[/table]
*Formerly Infernally Clay, temporarily being played by Rannoch until his character is introduced.

Welcome! Here's where you can ask any questions or discuss things that don't belong in the IC thread.

[Link to the IC thread for Zeitgeist: The Gears of Revolution (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14320071&goto=newpost) | Link to the recruitment thread. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263338)]

Frothingslosh
2012-12-03, 03:39 PM
This is [F] litlrabi here. Tukka willing, I can repsec to a more necessary role (since the party composition has changed).

Also, hello all.

Tukka
2012-12-03, 03:42 PM
Hey litlrabi/Frothingslosh, thanks for checking in.

Edit: And if you want to respec, that's fine. Maybe into a fey warlock? Right now I don't think Aurora is specced to fully emphasize the controller role of the druid, so to having two controller-ish characters may not be a bad idea.

Let me know if you have anything in particular in mind.

atomiclemming
2012-12-05, 10:16 AM
Sasquatch reporting for duty.
took a bit to set the account .. stoopid cathpas

Tukka
2012-12-05, 12:09 PM
Welcome aboard, Sas.

If you want to tweak anything about your character before we get started, let me know.

Also, everyone should pick a color to use in the IC thread. (See the Thread/Post Formatting section in the spoiler above.) In addition, if you want to get some practice with this forum's dice roller, you can use this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126564).

So far enough players have registered interest for us to get started again, so hopefully we'll be playing again soon.

atomiclemming
2012-12-05, 03:48 PM
This alright for a colour?

Tukka
2012-12-05, 04:30 PM
This alright for a colour?
Sure, that works. Darkgray for John.

mullensmd
2012-12-06, 07:31 PM
Aurora here. Sorry it took so long the night I got your email my computer's power supply decided to commit suicide.

Tukka
2012-12-06, 09:30 PM
Aurora here. Sorry it took so long the night I got your email my computer's power supply decided to commit suicide.
Hey Mitch, good to see you. Sorry to hear about your computer.

We should have 3 new players incoming soon -- I'm looking over their characters now. They should be arriving in this thread shortly, then we game get the game rolling again.

Edit: By the way, the new players' characters are going to start off ignorant of the events of the first part of the adventure, so you guys may want to avoid discussing those events here, or else mark them with spoilers. It's not a really big deal if those players learn of that info prematurely, but it might be a little more fun to have you guys deliver the exposition in character.

Otherwise you guys can discuss whatever you want... meet and greet, talk crunch, etc. :)

Tegu8788
2012-12-06, 09:52 PM
'allo all, I'm one of the new ignorant players Tukka mentioned. I'll be playing Taral Kasha (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=480171), a Tiefling that is here to help you do what you do best. He's a rather charismatic gish, ready to buckle your swash and what not, throwing out heals and magic blasts, heavy into shadow and psychic damage, not to mention being a Arcane/Divine/Psionic/Shadow character. Picture below.
http://cghub.com/files/Image/129001-130000/129301/505_max.jpg

Falconknight06
2012-12-06, 10:58 PM
Hello everyone! Falconknight here, playing your friendly neighborhood Half-Elf Rogue Gunsmith Aeric Silverspur (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=479784)

He's an agreeable chap who also enjoys buckling swashes, as well as Holy-wording once a day. And he has two homemade guns. And a huge passive insight. He's a people person, and makes everyone else more of a people person. So yeah, just need to find a good picture for him now.

And he shall talk in Indigo, the color of mystery, and rogue-ishness

This picture is pretty much perfect for Aeric, though my character has sleeves
http://thecage.wdfiles.com/local--files/pc:quintus/Quintus01.jpg

Tukka
2012-12-07, 12:21 AM
Here are some comments on the new PCs' backstories. If you guys want, you can discuss the ways in which you might know each other.

Some suggestions: Taral, Leif and Aeric are all members of the same RHC unit -- you've worked your past few cases together.

All of the PCs, are members of the RHC office in Flint. Unless you've made a particular effort to operate off-site, you know each others' faces, if not each others' names. Aurora might be an exception to this, as she's spent at least the past several weeks attached to an RHC team based in Slate.

Taral Kasha


Taral has worked undercover for the RHC, intercepting illegal imports from Danor, using his race to belay suspicions of his loyalty. He has spent time working his way into various smuggling rings, then using them to hunt out monsters that live in the shadows of the worker district, either killing the beasts or the smugglers, a win in both outcomes. To prove his false loyalty, he has been forced to commit a number of questionable acts, and he is starting to feel that he can no longer tell where the line is, or if he has crossed it. Because of his time undercover, he has knowledge of a number of savory characters and organizations. He is not smart enough to design his own technology, instead relying on his magical powers and personality, further distancing himself from his racial origins, able to maintain and understand technology, and appreciate how powerful it is. His sister having been killed designing new weapons in Danor, he has foresworn the nation of his birth, and focuses his life to preventing these new tools from falling into the wrong hands.
The shadows lurking in pall of Risur's industry are elusive -- in a few cases, Taral has tracked these "shadows" to gang members, disgusting vermin (some bizarrely deformed) and serial murderers (including one that was attempting reconstruct the occult practices of the long-dead witches of Cauldron Hill) but as yet has encountered nothing beyond his ken.

Perhaps the darkness the people feel that cannot be assuaged by prayer or song is a manifestation of a people ill-suited to cope with the hardships of industrial life, and the worst visions are the product sick, downtrodden, drunk and pepper-addled factory workers. Or perhaps a more tangible force -- or forces -- is at work in Bosum Strand, under Parity Lake and elsewhere in the city. After all, there are any number of strange disappearances -- cases of people vanishing from their tenements, replaced by the odor of an ill-maintained engine, as if they were devoured by an invisible locomotive that feeds on blood.

Smugglers, on the other hand, are an easier nut to crack. Criminals are always eager to get their hands on military-grade firearms, and a tiefling claiming to have a reliable friend in the Danoran Ministry of War would no doubt tempt many of them. Still, Taral's heritage is a mixed blessing to his work. Nobody wants to be accused to colluding with a Danoran agent, and some criminals put their anti-Danoran or ant-tiefling bigotry ahead of making a score.

Let me know if you have any specific ideas for informants. Since you've worked smuggling cases, you could know a Docker who occasionally tips you off when offloading some shady cargo, have a friend in a shipping company or import/export business, etc.


Aeric Silverspur
Aeric was born in the land of Ber, the son of an elven warlock and a human gunsmith. Unlike many of the interracial marriages, his parents loved each other very much. They had fled from the fighting in the Archipelago, settling in a small community of mostly dragonborn and a few eladrin refugees. The small community accepted the pair quickly, as his father's skills as a blacksmith, and his mother's connection to the feywild, ingratiated them into the town. His father set to work making tools and other implements for the townsfolk, often spending his days inventing or increasing the usefulness of various farm implements. At night, his father spent his time designing firearms, using designs he had in a book from a tiefling engineer of his acquaintance, tweaking the designs as best he could. After Aeric was born, the boy quickly took to helping his father with these designs, suggesting methods to make the guns more portable, or more reliable. On his 18th birthday, his father presented him with two pistols he had smithed himself, as he knew the urge for adventure had awoken in the young half-elf. With these guns and a dagger given to him by a local Dragonborn bard, Aeric set off for Risur to join the RHC, the unsung heroes of tales his parents told him. Even though he wasn't from Risur, Aeric felt a kinship with the nation and wished to join in its defense. As the son of a gunsmith and a warlock, he knew firsthand the destructive power of both magic and technology, and knew how dangerous they might be in untrained hands. He needed to stop them from getting into those hands.

Aeric was able to join the RHC, his skills with a dagger and thrown weapons, his skills creating and modifying guns, his slight divine powers, and his social skills, impressing the officer who allowed him to join. Aeric has spent most of his time dealing with foreigners believed to be smuggling, his time spent in Bin giving him a trustworthiness not posessed by others of the RHC. He is known in the organization as a proponent against overt racism towards the more monstrous races, specifically dragonborn, but he tries to not let his personal feelings get in the way of his duty.
Again, nice stuff. So Aeric's parents are Yerasol refugees and former Risuri nationals that emigrated to Ber and lived among dragonborn. It is probably the case that Aeric would not be too fond of the Crisillyiri and its Clergy, given their relationship with Ber and their pro-human bent. Your character might feel some conflict between the Beran Panoply philosophy and the more traditional Seedist values that most followers of Sehanine might cling to.

One of Aeric's informants might be a contact in a dragonborn enclave in Flint, or the Beran consulate.

I'm not sure Aeric would have "grown up" hearing tales of the RHC, has it is a relatively new organization. It still makes perfect sense that he'd want to join, though, given everything else you've established.

Edit: Also, if you want your character to have an accent, it would probably be Spanish-sounding -- though since your parents are Risuri, it might not be a strong accent.
Edit: I'm working on writing up a summary of what the New Team has been up to over the past couple weeks, leading into this adventure. I should have it posted sometime today. It will have been a somewhat eventful period of time for them as well -- ideally I'd lead in with a bit of a mini-adventure, but I don't want to overly delay having the party unite, so I'll probably just be a bit vague so as to avoid hijacking your characters' actions.

Tegu8788
2012-12-07, 12:49 AM
I must to-bed, working in less hours than I'd like, but I've finished my character, link in the signature. I will work on NPCs in the 'morrow, but I like a Docker informant for letting me know when things are coming in, and perhaps a laborer to give me heads up on street activity and someone to help identify what tech does/where it came from.

I don't mind a slight delay actually, as it will give me a better idea of how this group likes to play, and better info on the world itself. That, and my character can be introduced basically anywhere, at home base or imbedded within whatever organization they are fighting with at the moment.


With that "shadows" aspect cleared up, consider him pitting one evil against another. He has his smugglers fight gang and serial killers, and when he "runs out" of smugglers he gets a new group, using this tactic to double the good he can do, despite having to do a lot of bad to get into the groups in the first place.

His bard arcane will be just magic, divine fluffed as an extension of his psionic, and shadow is, well, the taint the job has left on him. He is also going to have an incredible Bluff score, as fitting with how much lying he does.

Edit: How does embedded gold work? Say a hoop earring that can be opened or closed to make or break a circle?

Tukka
2012-12-07, 02:33 AM
How does embedded gold work? Say a hoop earring that can be opened or closed to make or break a circle?
I believe the way it's supposed to work is that if any part of you is fully encircled by gold, you can't teleport or be teleported -- it's like you're chained to the earring's location. If the circle is broken, however, such as if the earring has a latch and the latch is opened, the gold does not inhibit teleportation. Similarly, it's impossible to teleport in to or out of areas fully encircled by gold, unless the gold border is broken.

Falconknight06
2012-12-07, 03:51 AM
Here are some comments on the new PCs' backstories. If you guys want, you can discuss the ways in which you might know each other.

Some suggestions: Taral, Leif and Aeric are all members of the same RHC unit -- you've worked your past few cases together.

All of the PCs, are members of the RHC office in Flint. Unless you've made a particular effort to operate off-site, you know each others' faces, if not each others' names. Aurora might be an exception to this, as she's spent at least the past several weeks attached to an RHC team based in Slate.


Aeric Silverspur
Aeric was born in the land of Ber, the son of an elven warlock and a human gunsmith. Unlike many of the interracial marriages, his parents loved each other very much. They had fled from the fighting in the Archipelago, settling in a small community of mostly dragonborn and a few eladrin refugees. The small community accepted the pair quickly, as his father's skills as a blacksmith, and his mother's connection to the feywild, ingratiated them into the town. His father set to work making tools and other implements for the townsfolk, often spending his days inventing or increasing the usefulness of various farm implements. At night, his father spent his time designing firearms, using designs he had in a book from a tiefling engineer of his acquaintance, tweaking the designs as best he could. After Aeric was born, the boy quickly took to helping his father with these designs, suggesting methods to make the guns more portable, or more reliable. On his 18th birthday, his father presented him with two pistols he had smithed himself, as he knew the urge for adventure had awoken in the young half-elf. With these guns and a dagger given to him by a local Dragonborn bard, Aeric set off for Risur to join the RHC, the unsung heroes of tales his parents told him. Even though he wasn't from Risur, Aeric felt a kinship with the nation and wished to join in its defense. As the son of a gunsmith and a warlock, he knew firsthand the destructive power of both magic and technology, and knew how dangerous they might be in untrained hands. He needed to stop them from getting into those hands.

Aeric was able to join the RHC, his skills with a dagger and thrown weapons, his skills creating and modifying guns, his slight divine powers, and his social skills, impressing the officer who allowed him to join. Aeric has spent most of his time dealing with foreigners believed to be smuggling, his time spent in Bin giving him a trustworthiness not posessed by others of the RHC. He is known in the organization as a proponent against overt racism towards the more monstrous races, specifically dragonborn, but he tries to not let his personal feelings get in the way of his duty.
Again, nice stuff. So Aeric's parents are Yerasol refugees and former Risuri nationals that emigrated to Ber and lived among dragonborn. It is probably the case that Aeric would not be too fond of the Crisillyiri and its Clergy, given their relationship with Ber and their pro-human bent. Your character might feel some conflict between the Beran Panoply philosophy and the more traditional Seedist values that most followers of Sehanine might cling to.

One of Aeric's informants might be a contact in a dragonborn enclave in Flint, or the Beran consulate.

I'm not sure Aeric would have "grown up" hearing tales of the RHC, has it is a relatively new organization. It still makes perfect sense that he'd want to join, though, given everything else you've established.

Edit: Also, if you want your character to have an accent, it would probably be Spanish-sounding -- though since your parents are Risuri, it might not be a strong accent.


I figure my character would speak with a bit of an accent, and Spanish works. It makes sense considering his background. It would really only hint at his origins, rather than make him seem full-blown foreigner.

I was hoping for some conflict with his religion, if only from the Clergy's treatment of non-humans. He does think there is a peaceful solution for the differences though, at least he hopes. He has created a sort of hybrid version between the Beran panoply and the seedist values that he uses. Works well since he is happy with his duel heritage and doesn't feel very conflicted about that, so his religion gives him a new pull between two things.

I was hoping one of my contacts could be like a Dragonborn bard in Flint, or a Dragonborn scribe in the Ber consulate seems perfect. As for other contacts, I'd like someone connected to the magic operahouse if at all possible, and then maybe a person who fixes the gas lamplights? (I think you asked for three possible contacts.)

Also, for flavor purposes, any magic he does is very much of a divine bent. Like for Enchant Firearms stuff (and if I take ritual casting) I'll be using religion. His only arcane ability is a touch of the fey-pact from his mother (my half-elf dilletante eyebite power). He is not an evangelist though, only talking about Sehanine to those who ask.

I getting really excited for this game!

atomiclemming
2012-12-07, 11:47 AM
John Tinton has probably observed you at some point, making a mental note of who you are and any abilities he has observed, You might not have even noticed him there at the RHC. He is quiet and keeps to himself. His looks are very unremarkable and his lack of people skills ensure that any meeting will be less than memorable.
He is very curious about gadgets and technology and has been known to treat his inventions like old friends.
He has commited himself to his current disguise of a half-elf primalist and will only answer right now to Tintau.

atomiclemming
2012-12-07, 11:48 AM
Also if it makes everyone else feel better even the "veteran" players have been on hiatus for so long this is all a bit new to us too :)

Tukka
2012-12-07, 02:44 PM
I must to-bed, working in less hours than I'd like, but I've finished my character, link in the signature. I will work on NPCs in the 'morrow, but I like a Docker informant for letting me know when things are coming in, and perhaps a laborer to give me heads up on street activity and someone to help identify what tech does/where it came from.
That works, although a lot of the tech questions could probably be answered by the party's resident artificer/technologist, John. Still, having someone actively working inside the industrial apparatus would be useful. It could be someone relatively high-ranking as well (a regional manager for an industrial outfit, or a factory owner perhaps), keeping in mind that while your informants should want to help you, they're looking out for themselves first.

Also, I don't know if this is explicitly stated in the Players' Guide, but most of the factories in Flint are producing goods that have some sort of military application, since the whole move to industrialize was a push by the crown to keep pace with Danoran military tech. Of course, the industry has produce many spinoffs that have civilian/commercial/academic application.


With that "shadows" aspect cleared up, consider him pitting one evil against another. He has his smugglers fight gang and serial killers, and when he "runs out" of smugglers he gets a new group, using this tactic to double the good he can do, despite having to do a lot of bad to get into the groups in the first place.
That also works. There are a lot of troublemakers in Flint.


There are all of your common urban criminals -- gang members, lone wolves, con artists, etc. The country's recent history of warfare has left many with know little else but violence, who find they have no place in society during peace.
In the Cloudwood (and to some extent, the Nettles), criminals of the less urban variety can be found -- bandits, highwaymen, as well as fugitives from the city proper.
The police can also be a surly lot, and many are outright corrupt (the RHC is less prone to petty corruption and gets more respect from the people).
As a sort of counterculture movement, the Dockers often clash with the police, and their demonstrations/performances have occasionally broken out into riots. Many Dockers have a casual disregard for the law, and much of their "performance art" takes the form of vandalism. However, most Dockers their livings by hard, mostly honest work.
Adherents to the Vekeshi philosophy will sometimes commit murders or acts of terrorism, though rarely and according to a logic that most outsiders can't discern (then again, most don't care to).
Fey saboteurs, aligned with the infamous eladrin Gale are also active in the city. Primarily a mix of those committed to the Old Faith and Vekeshi adherents/sympathizers, this group seldom kills, but has claimed responsibility for numerous acts of industrial sabotage.

Infernally Clay
2012-12-07, 03:21 PM
Yeah, so Leif Haust is my character. I need to update her sheet to reflect her theme (I only just found the magazine that the theme is in :smalltongue:), but there's not much else to do after that. I think I might just spend the 520gp to make her Greatsword into a Bloodclaw Greatsword.

That'll be another 3 damage on top of her melee damage, so it all adds up.

Tegu8788
2012-12-07, 05:51 PM
I understand that the group artificer would make the best for tech questions, but prior to meeting him, Taral would need someone else. But the manager of a factory would be really good, he want's his workers safe, his property unvandalized, and his competitors from getting an unfair leg up. And he might have the pull needed to get us access to gear if we need it.

I'd like to include some work countering Gale and her Fey saboteurs. Maybe the Docker can be a source for illegal activity, because Taral can keep the corrupt cops off his back, and get his back on the streets quicker after a protest. Or the manager doesn't want his shop burned.

Also, he is going to be a follower of the Pragati philosophy, so Vekesh terrorists will be an interesting meeting. Most of what I have him doing is being sly and manipulative, which is fun, but he does need some group from his past that he's taken arms against. Blade to blade with eladrin, magic swordsmen versus magic swordsmen.

As a third contact, maybe someone in the North Shore, working on the dead prostitutes case. Maybe a land-owner whose favorite druid has gone missing, and is paying Taral find out where the girl is being held.


So, using money from the land-owner Taral buys prototypes from the manager and sells them to the smugglers the Docker informs him about. He then uses the smugglers as a crew to hamper gangs, overing to set up deals but making sure things for south every time to ensure a shoot out. He then uses his left over money to bribe the staff of various land-owners for info, as well as kicking some back to the Docker, and returning the prototypes (that have now been live tested) to the manager. Where he then returns to tracking the crimes of the North Shore, dealing with the less than effective local police and tight lipped rich folk, running into Fey saboteurs in a number of the high profile locations.

If that's too much, I can simply, but I'm the kind of guy that thought Inception was easy to follow, and thinks in patterns similar to those portrayed in the recent Sherlock movies.


And did I interpret correctly, that Taral has already dealt with the Ragman? And am I the only one that finds it ironic how many divine characters we have for a world that is just shy of Dark Sun?

Tukka
2012-12-07, 07:42 PM
As for other contacts, I'd like someone connected to the magic operahouse
Yep, that's fine. Feel free to give a name for your contacts and some basic personality traits, racial characteristics, or whatever else you want.


I understand that the group artificer would make the best for tech questions, but prior to meeting him, Taral would need someone else. But the manager of a factory would be really good, he want's his workers safe, his property unvandalized, and his competitors from getting an unfair leg up. And he might have the pull needed to get us access to gear if we need it.
Yeah, that kind of relationship makes sense. The RHC quartermaster is usually pretty good about OKing the constables' requisitions, but the paperwork can sometimes be a hassle, and for some items you may want to keep things off the books.

Also, note that the working conditions most factories is pretty abysmal. Fatal accidents are common, the hours are long, child labor is utilized, and from what you've seen, most managers/owners view their workers as little more than a disposable commodity. At least that's the attitude towards unskilled labor. Educated technicians and arcanists are tend to be better treated.


And did I interpret correctly, that Taral has already dealt with the Ragman? And am I the only one that finds it ironic how many divine characters we have for a world that is just shy of Dark Sun?

I think it might make sense to chalk up the occult serial killer you've had a brush with as a Ragman copycat (honestly, I had forgotten some of the details of the Ragman murders when I suggested the details of that case). The Ragman would be a high-profile collar for a level 1 party with Prestige 1 with Flint and Risur. Your characters, at this point would be more or less rookies -- albeit very promising rookies in Risur's elite law enforcement and homeland defense organization

You could have been involved in two or three major operations, but probably haven't yet taken the lead on anything really big time yet. The Machiavellian scheming and plotting is great though -- your experience and the scope of your actions are limited, but the approach and most of the basic details are fine.

Also, I'm not too familiar with Dark Sun. I would say that the party composition would be odd if they were Danoran agents, but south of the Avery Sea, religion is still an important part of most peoples' daily lives (Flint is more cosmopolitan/secular than most of Risur).

It's kind of like Eberron, actually. Divine magic works fine (most places), but the gods are silent. Everyone is nervous that another war will break out. Technology is on the rise (though in Eberron, it's of a somewhat more magical bent). I think this setting is a bit gloomier than Eberron, though. But not as bleak as Dark Sun, which is kind of post-apocalyptic?

Tegu8788
2012-12-07, 09:41 PM
Alright then, I'll tone some things down a bit. I could say my character has been "on the beat" for a long time, but given how little of his experience has been actually his, and more letting others fight for him, he hasn't actually gained much experience (levels) yet, or perhaps his taking instructions from his handler, after the last guy got made. A handler that can get killed, making him take instructions from the next guy up the ladder, that integrates him into the existing party when the time comes perhaps.

How about these guys for contacts?

Rilif Hunsby-A Gnomish Docker that always has his diminutive thumb on the pulse of the city. Using illusionary magics to entertain crowds, because few actually pay attention to his face he is able to sneak around when he wants, and is often overlooked by those that would do better to be wary of the little eve's dropper. In exchange for a little kick back and reduced hassle from the police, Rilif keeps Taral informed about less than legal going-ons at the docks. He loves his craft, and believes in self expression, his own flavor of the Great Man doctrine, always trying to find better ways to make others share his feelings. He has no problem using others for his own ends, and enjoys playing the game of cat and mouse with Taral, getting all kinds of heroic tales he casts himself as the hero in, without actually taking any risks. If pressed he will easily give information, but the accuracy of it is highly suspect, and his ability to hold a grudge is vast. As is his ability to exact revenge against those that slight him, manipulating the masses with songs and poems.

Aida Gates-A half-elf Manager of a local factory who is concerned about Fey saboteurs and criminal break ins. She is keenly aware that her lineage makes her a target, and because of this other factories aren't afraid of bullying her around. She is also certain that some of her competitors are using smuggled Danor technologies and passing them off as their own. While she has no love for her employees, she is aware that replacing them is sometimes more hassle than it's worth, and that if they are busy working for her, they are not in a gang throwing rocks through her windows. The uneducated masses have to be controlled, and better her than anyone else. Taral allows her to keep her competitors from getting too far ahead of her, test out prototypes without dealing with red-tape, and making a small profit from it. She thinks of him as another resource to use, and while she is annoyed when he asks things of her, she is aware in the back of her mind how important his actions have been to her success. By cleaning up the streets around where her labors dwell, they are able to work harder, and Taral is able to get warnings of unrest from them.

Gath Excron-A human that owns a parcel of land close to the north-most tip of the Parity Lake, he has been paying a favored Elven Druid for years to keep his beaches clear, and according to certain rumors, for other services rendered. Recently however, his beach has been soot covered, no made whom he pays. Aware of the trafficking of women, he has made numerous requests to the local authorities, but to no avail. He wants his Druid back, and is willing to pay for her back, despite being aware that anyone that returns her is likely the ones that took her in the first place. Taral was assigned to handle him, but pictures of the elf reminds him of his own murdered sister, and has taken a personal interest in the case, and the sheer number of women that have been taken disturbs him. The fact that it allows him to fund his other projects is icing on the cake. He isn't particularly interested in the particulars of Taral's investigations, as long as he makes progress, and has taken to hiring those Taral manages to rescue from the traffickers, hoping to hear of his druid. Being eccentric as many of the wealth are, he also makes a point of having Taral handle all RHC business, the Tiefling having "already been trained" how Gath likes things.

Falconknight06
2012-12-07, 11:02 PM
I'll have my contacts done by tomorrow. Brain is currently fried from data analysis. Need vidjagames to unwind.

Tukka
2012-12-08, 12:49 AM
I'll have my contacts done by tomorrow. Brain is currently fried from data analysis. Need vidjagames to unwind.
I hear ya, no rush.

I'll post the synopsis of what the New Team has been up to sometime tomorrow, so we ought to be able to get started shortly thereafter.

Falconknight06
2012-12-08, 07:29 PM
OK, so far I've got names, races, and jobs for my possible contacts. I'll edit this post with more backstory's as I develop them if necessary.

Contacts for Aeric Silverspur

Perra Farseer the Dragonborn Bard

-A part-time scribe at the Ber embassy, she is often called upon to play at certain diplomatic functions, as her knowledge of Ber music is near unparallelled. She met Aeric at one of the Ber Panoplys, and they both ended up in Flint, where they have helped each other adjust to the large city.
-She is a good contact as to the goings on in diplomatic circles, although she is still pretty low on the totem pole, so she lacks a lot of insider information past what she is able to glean at parties for other diplomats.

Banran Tasslefoot the Halfling Lamplighter
-Banran is an older Halfling man who has lived in Flint for all of his life. He grew up on the streets, picking pockets and fencing goods for older thieves, and learning the trade. He quickly took to the stealthier arts, and rose his way up the group of thieves he was in. The law caught up with him after a while though, and he spent about 10 years in prison.
-When he got out, he decided to lay a little lower, taking his nimble fingers and fearless nature to the world of maintaining Flint's many gaslamps. Aeric's roguish nature has endeared him to the old Halfling, who is often more than happy to show his old tricks to the Half-elf. He is also one of the more knowledgeable citizens when it comes to ways to get around the city quickly, and schedules of gaslight maintenance. These are both very useful for one who relies on stealth in Flint.

Sylia LeFleur the Human Operahouse Stage Manager
-Sylia and Aeric's relationship has always been a bit volatile. There were periods where they were friends, ones where the were enemies, and times when they were more then friends. Sylia was one of the first people Aeric met when he first got to Flint, and Sylia was a young woman working in a bakery near the opera house.
-Any free time Aeric had during his first few years in the city, he would spend at that bakery, talking to Sylia and listening to the faint music escaping the opera house. The two quickly became friends, then more than that. Then Aeric became part of a sting by the RHC taking out the head Baker who was laundering money for Danor smugglers. With the Baker in prison, Sylia was out of a job, and she blamed Aeric. On their third anniversary as a couple, Sylia accused Aeric of using her for his job, and she left in a huff. Aeric was heartbroken.
-It would be a year before they saw each other again. By that point, Sylia had gotten a job at the operahouse as a stagemanager, and had either realized the truth, or forgiven Aeric for his part in the sting. They tried to rekindle the romance, but the spark seemed gone. They have become good friends once again though, and are willing to help each other when it is needed.
-Sylia is often able to document the comings and goings of many of the nobles in Flint, as many enjoy being seen and seeing others at the opera house. And who would suspect the stage manager was observing people for a member of the RHC. Her greatest help has been letting Aeric know when a certain noble was out of his manor house, allowing the RHC group Aeric was a member of to break in and find evidence of his alliance with some anti-Risur separatists.
-If Aeric has any weak-link in his alliances in town, it is Sylia. Despite them no longer being romantic, Sylia is on of Aeric's dearest friends and he would prefer she stays out of danger.

Tukka
2012-12-08, 10:32 PM
Looks good, Falconknight.

I'm going to open the adventure up for play now.

So everyone can head over to the IC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14320071) and read the summary for your group.

Try not to kill each other. ;)

Tegu8788
2012-12-09, 12:25 AM
Awwwwwwwww...

Falconknight06
2012-12-09, 12:37 AM
I hope you guys are OK with my intro. I figure anyone whose passive perception beats my stealth would know I was coming, and be ready to face me and my failure of at intimidation.

Also, I know this is early to talk about, do you guys know what paragon path you might be taking? I actually might go with a Cleric one, since I can, and I'd get some cool abilities. I'm currently liking Angelic Avenger.

Tegu8788
2012-12-09, 12:53 AM
I've never gotten past level 5, so no. I can pull of anything Paladin, Bard, Warlock, Tiefling, or Psionic augmentation based. Preferably Cha based, that will help him be a Face and/or fill all party roles. So a normally weak path may be ideal for him. I'll make my intro in the morn', likely to include getting singed a bit.

Tukka
2012-12-09, 07:04 PM
I realize I railroaded you guys a bit (especially the new players) to get you together. I wanted to have you guys get together in a way that didn't seem too unbelievable and didn't want to risk one group or the other getting in an encounter that would take a week or two to resolve.

If you have any specific questions about what happened during that time or if there's something you think you would have done, let me know and I'll try to accommodate you.

Tegu8788
2012-12-09, 07:21 PM
I just appreciate the irony of having us write all these backgrounds for informants in the city, then having us be no where near the city...

And honestly, you have to railroad us at a time like this. Whenever a player enters or exits, it's gotta happen. Do it with groups like that, and its a must. Also let's us avoid railroading ourselves, which is even more awkward.

Edit: Wow, and it looks like my rolling skills will continue to follow me into this game as well...

Tukka
2012-12-09, 08:01 PM
I just appreciate the irony of having us write all these backgrounds for informants in the city, then having us be no where near the city...
Haha, yes... the informants don't really have a chance to come in to play until the second adventure, which is by design, since most players aren't going to be ready to come up with two informants on top of their character background right off the bat.

And honestly, you have to railroad us at a time like this. Whenever a player enters or exits, it's gotta happen. Do it with groups like that, and its a must.
Fortunately, given the structure of this game it should happen somewhat more naturally from now on. If one person dies or drops out, it should pretty believable that the RHC will assign some extra manpower to the squad to make up the deficit. This was a bit of an odd situation where the team was out in the boonies and we were swapping out half the team instead of just one or two people.

Tegu8788
2012-12-09, 11:39 PM
Can I get a clarification real quick? What are the divine sources for the various characters? Aeric is pretty clearly drawing power from his god, but what does Lief use? I see Kord is on the sheet, but I'm wondering how classic paladin she is. Taral is a Blackguard, so instead of a God he's drawing power from his Vice, like someone that uses a personal tragedy to empower themselves further. He's done bad things, on purpose, but the knowledge that he made it back from that, gives him strength. This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-YyL7X4CWw) is something he's done, several times, using Arcane and Psionic power to boost himself, and drawing on the Shadows, the evil things he's done, when he needs to. And he often finds that he needs to.

Tukka
2012-12-11, 05:59 PM
Saradoc and Tintau would recognize Taral, Leif and Aeric by face, though as everyone was trying to make a stealth approach, nobody is carrying a light source so it's dark. Aurora has not been around the Flint office recently so she might not recognize or be recognized. John/Tintau is in disguise, so he might not be recognized either. Saradoc should be recognizable, however.

So with some light, you should be able to at least tentatively confirm each other as RHC members, at least. Some caution is natural, but hopefully you guys can get to exchanging some information about your respective missions, etc. soon so things can move on.

Edit, for Saradoc, John and Aurora's players' eyes
Remember that your mission is down to 3 men from 10, and among the lost are Tanya, Seven-Foot Dan, Letmas and Burton -- who were easily the four most experienced and decorated agents on the mission. To complete your mission you're probably going to need help, which may temper any reluctance you may have to trust these relatively unknown fellow constables.

Tegu8788
2012-12-12, 04:34 PM
Alright then, serious series of faux pas and basic introductions later, we are ready continue? Just wait for the last two members to respond, and then off to go see who's making s'mores!

I'm assuming John/Tintau and Taral would have had different handlers, and thus wouldn't recognize each other?

Also, would it be possible for everyone to provide a link to their characters? I'm trying to make a character that can fill in for any weak spots, but to do that I need to know who can do what. I've already got a MBA granting power, but I don't think, based solely on class, that any of you have a strong MBA. If anyone that's new to the forum wants some tips how to use these tools, I'm happy to help.

Tukka
2012-12-12, 08:36 PM
Alright then, serious series of faux pas and basic introductions later, we are ready continue? Just wait for the last two members to respond, and then off to go see who's making s'mores!
Yeah, we're off to a slow start, but hopefully the momentum will pick up soon...

Also, to clarify, the area that everyone is in now is the approximate area where the flame originated. (The fire has since dissipated -- the flash only lasted a few seconds.) It's a dark night so even those of you with low-light vision can't make much out beyond vague shapes without some sort of light source.


I'm assuming John/Tintau and Taral would have had different handlers, and thus wouldn't recognize each other?
Different handlers/bosses maybe, but you probably would still recognize each other by passing one another in the office when you come in to file reports, attend briefings, etc. Though John/Tintau is disguised, and it's dark.

Tegu8788
2012-12-12, 10:07 PM
Also, to clarify, the area that everyone is in now is the approximate area where the flame originated. (The fire has since dissipated -- the flash only lasted a few seconds.) It's a dark night so even those of you with low-light vision can't make much out beyond vague shapes without some sort of light source.

Fixed. Now everybody should be able to see each other, without drawing to much attention to our little party. I suspect that that would be unwise, given the known unknowns out there.

Tukka
2012-12-16, 04:41 AM
I would suggest now might be a good time for everyone to lay most/all their cards on the table so that you can come up with a plan, decide on tactics and move on. It's my fault for putting you guys in a situation that merits some caution/distrust, and this dance is fun, but it's also taking a while.

The next time someone posts, they might want to have their character summarize the content of their group's spoiler from the first post of the IC thread, so everyone can read them and get on the same page. Of course, everyone can feel free to add their specific details, reactions, embellishments, etc. to the info exchange as you guys move into the planning and action stage of your discussion.

atomiclemming
2012-12-16, 08:46 AM
This is my first time playing by "post" as it where so please forgive the typos and other errata. Tintau is not normally this talkative but the group spokespeople are either dead or missing

Tegu8788
2012-12-16, 09:09 AM
Taral will take over that roll pretty quickly, he is a bard after all. And I think pretty much all of the new groups info has been shared.

Frothingslosh
2012-12-16, 04:00 PM
I'll be backreading and catching up shortly. Sorry, life gets in the way again.

Tegu8788
2012-12-16, 10:36 PM
RL takes precedence of IC, but welcome aboard.

If I can ask, if you guys have never done play by post before, how did you run the game previously?

Tukka
2012-12-17, 05:19 AM
This is my first time playing by "post" as it where so please forgive the typos and other errata. Tintau is not normally this talkative but the group spokespeople are either dead or missing
No problem, nobody expects perfection and I know it can be difficult balance to strike sometimes between remaining true to your character, not hogging the stage, delivering pertinent information, allowing others to respond, etc. Sorry if I seemed a bit impatient. I want you guys to have control, but I'm afraid I might have created a situation where you guys could get tripped and have a hard to getting some traction getting started.

I think you once the introductions are complete and everyone has a fairly clear picture of the situation, though, things will crystallize and progress will come a bit more quickly.

Also, the next adventure is structured in a way that will allow you guys to pursue some things in a quasi-independent fashion, which may also help. It's one of the things that got me thinking this adventure path in particular may be well-suited to the PBP style.

I'll be backreading and catching up shortly. Sorry, life gets in the way again.
Understood. Glad you're still with us!

If I can ask, if you guys have never done play by post before, how did you run the game previously?
We were playing by post on a different (non-RPG-related forum), but we weren't playing for very long before the game went on hiatus for a bit and we moved here, so everyone's still sort of learning. Plus moving to a new forum requires some adjustments as well.

Tegu8788
2012-12-17, 11:12 PM
If anyone feels I'm over posting, I will not be upset if you tell me. I'm been doing this kind of format for about 10 years, only closing up on my first year of D&D though. My character is a Bard, and all about lying to people. To lie, one first has to talk.

Tukka
2012-12-19, 12:52 PM
Nah, right now if anything the issue we're having is with underposting, I'd say.

For things to move forward you guys have to form a plan or initiate some kind of action. To summarize everyone knows right now:

The Duchess tried to sabotage the Coaltongue and has invaded Axis Island. The Danorans have been driven into retreat/hiding. The island has weird magic. The Danorans were engaged in an arms buildup here, and are utilizing the island's magic in some way.

The island's main fortification is the Axis Fort, located on the island's northern coast -- actually not far from where you guys are currently. In areas not obstructed by trees or hills you can see light from the fort's lighthouse. It's maybe a half mile to a mile from east/northeast from where you are now.

If the Duchess is still on the island, that's where she presumably is. (It's where Aeric, Leif and Taral met her, but that was about a week ago.)

There are still some details that Aurora, Tintau and Saradoc have not yet shared about the mission, which I perhaps should recapped and emphasized more in the campaign summary. These details include:

Your primary mission is to open the Axis Fort sea gate so the Risuri navy can come in and overwhelm the Duchess's forces. This is supposed to happen tonight.
Lya Jierre will arrive by sunset tomorrow to reclaim the island. If Risur isn't able to hand over the territory at that time because the Duchess still holds the fort, Danor will probably declare war on Risur. Because of this, the Risuri forces are likely to move in to attack at some point before sunrise, even without the benefit of the open sea gate.
A secondary objective is to find Lya Jierre's younger cousin, Nathan Jierre, and keep him safe.
Edit: Also, a note of PvP social skill checks -- I prefer to let PC/PC interactions run through pure roleplay. I feel like the players should have full control over how their characters feel about the other PCs. I'm certainly not going to say one PC is forced to behave a certain way because another PC makes a persuasive argument coupled with a high Diplomacy or Intimidate check, and I kind of put Bluff vs. Insight in that same category.

Falconknight06
2012-12-19, 03:38 PM
Edit: Also, a note of PvP social skill checks -- I prefer to let PC/PC interactions run through pure roleplay. I feel like the players should have full control over how their characters feel about the other PCs. I'm certainly not going to say one PC is forced to behave a certain way because another PC makes a persuasive argument coupled with a high Diplomacy or Intimidate check, and I kind of put Bluff vs. Insight in that same category.

Got it, I'll keep that in mind

Frothingslosh
2012-12-20, 01:09 PM
And now I've backread and whatnot.

I will get my sheet uploaded to a public location soon. Are there any suggestions you have on that?

Tukka, do you remember where we discussed Saradoc's background? Post, PM, or email?

Tegu8788
2012-12-20, 01:12 PM
Mythweavers is a pretty good site, I use it to help me track what powers I have used, surges, and what not.

Frothingslosh
2012-12-20, 04:33 PM
Does anyone know of a conversion tool from .dnd4e to the myth weaver's format?

Tegu8788
2012-12-20, 05:02 PM
I don't know if there is one. I use the compendium then copy and paste to get the power text, the rest you just have to fill in.

Tukka
2012-12-20, 08:57 PM
And now I've backread and whatnot.

I will get my sheet uploaded to a public location soon. Are there any suggestions you have on that?
You could link to the PDF of your character sheet that I have uploaded to my dropbox. One of my recent PMs should have such a link.


Tukka, do you remember where we discussed Saradoc's background? Post, PM, or email?
I think most of it was by PM.

Tegu8788
2012-12-20, 11:07 PM
So as to not overfill the IC thread when I don't have anything to post, here is my roll. [roll0] Taral wasn't built to be sneaky. He could undercover by walking up in broad daylight and lying through his teeth.

Edit: Yep, what I thought. If it would make a difference, I'm prepared to add 1d4+1 to that, but I doubt even Adept's Insight can save that roll.

And in the vein of communicating things during the conversation in the woods, Taral would have made a point to communicate about where there was damage, what he could surmise about the guards rotation, and the high walls. In retrospect, the overgrown in sanctum is now a blatantly obvious of Fey shenanigans.

My recommendation for the group is to sneak as much as possible, though I may have just blown that. From there, Taral will begin lying, about how they exploded a hidden arms locker, and now the Tieflings are readying an invasion force, using new ships to attack the damaged gate. Turn that fire blast to our advantage, use our combined knowledge of the new Risur ship and the abandoned Danoran mines to lead whomever is in charge to take us to the gates, so we can help defend against the incoming ships, due to a complicated to explain weak spot. Once at the gate, we incapacitate anyone else in the room, and open the gates.


Thoughts?

Tukka
2012-12-20, 11:48 PM
A clarification: it's not the sea wall that is damaged, but rather a section of the fort's south wall on land. There are normally three ways into the fortress. A road running east/west goes through the fortress, which meet gates on the northeastern and northwestern sides of the fort. The third entrance is the sea gate/harbor, which is in the northern section of the fort.

Edit: Also, for overland/long term stealth checks, I tend to make them group checks that the group succeeds if X number of people make their checks, so there is still hope. I know that in a group of six, at least one person is likely to fail his check.

Edit 2: Another note, the ritual scrolls that the infiltration team was given are "quickened" versions that only take 1 minute to activate. In general I think rituals take a little too long and I might consider cutting down their casting time across the board.

Frothingslosh
2012-12-20, 11:59 PM
First, a question. How would the class feature Shadow Walk (I gain concealment if I move at least 3 squares in a turn) apply in this situation?

Second, [roll0].

Third, with our group, bluffing our way in, assuming stealth fails, seems obvious.

Fourth, Tukka, how old is the RHC? The basic background we talked about included essentially being raised by the RHC.

Finally, a brief description of Master Saradoc Montajay II. He is a gnome Warlock, well liked by his peers. He wears a top hat, monocole, and has made his leather armor resemble a tuxedo (still working on the details of that). He always has his shiny black cane (rod implement). Typically friendly and social, but with a mean streak that can intimidate even the nastiest piece of street trash.

Tukka
2012-12-21, 12:18 AM
First, a question. How would the class feature Shadow Walk (I gain concealment if I move at least 3 squares in a turn) apply in this situation?
Well, you're already in lightly obscured terrain (dim light), so you have concealment in this situation no matter what, so I don't think the feature would benefit you too much. I'd say it's good for a small bonus though if any potential observers are relying on low-light vision or darkvision to detect you.


Fourth, Tukka, how old is the RHC? The basic background we talked about included essentially being raised by the RHC.

Ah, right. Chartering the RHC was one of King Aodhan's first official acts as King, and it became functional in A.O.V. 462, 38 years ago. So Saradoc could be in his early 40s? If you want him to be older, the RHC had some precursor organizations that were folded into the RHC's bureaucracy, though there were smaller, lesser known, and had less clout.

Frothingslosh
2012-12-21, 12:20 AM
Being young fits well with Master Montajay.

Tegu8788
2012-12-21, 12:53 AM
Finally, a brief description of Master Saradoc Montajay II. He is a gnome Warlock, well liked by his peers. He wears a top hat, monocole, and has made his leather armor resemble a tuxedo (still working on the details of that). He always has his shiny black cane (rod implement). Typically friendly and social, but with a mean streak that can intimidate even the nastiest piece of street trash.

So, like a leather jacket, but in tuxedo cut?

http://blog.veritasimage.com/images/2009/12/tux2.jpg

Avatar is Taral in a few levels, once he gets a few more feats under his belt. Currently in chainmail with a light shield, your regular red tiefling, he has a brass hoop earing with a golden core in his left ear, minor scar on the right side of his face. He's got a bandolier full of knick-knacks, and a heavy grey cloak on. Taral has only been on the "force" for about 6 years, having been born in Danor, defecting after his sister was used as a test subject for a new weapon she created, so that she wouldn't make them for anyone else. Personality wise, think Michael Weston from Burn Notice, with a heavy pinch of Mal Reynolds from Firefly. So don't cross him, or you go boom. But he will take care of his own.

If only I had their luck. I am a chronically bad roller, having failed a Twin Strike Coup De Grace with +15 modifiers. I've got toys if we need to boost a number of situational rolls. This unfortunately wasn't one of them. I have some utility powers that are useful, so figuring out when they recharge will be helpful.

Edit: Also, Frothingslosh, what pact is Saradoc? I'm planning on playing up the negative, shadowy aspects of his Star Pact, but I don't want to imply negative things about your gnome in doing so.

Tegu8788
2012-12-22, 09:46 PM
If people are able to send me a copy of their character sheets, I'd be willing to transfer them all into mythweavers for you, I've gotten pretty familiar with that website, and I know how to link editing to you so you can own your character.

Falconknight06
2012-12-23, 05:28 PM
I swear I rolled my stealth, sorry everybody

Stealth
[roll0]

Tukka
2012-12-24, 08:18 AM
Leif's stealth check: [roll0]

Tegu8788
2012-12-28, 12:21 AM
Yes, after rambling, Taral told you to hurry up. He's a Bard, what do you expect. We have plenty of Charismatic characters, so I'm not worried about us being able to lie our way out of anything we run into, but I'd like to give us the best chances possible.

Gnome in one bag, extra weapons and armor in the other, Aurora takes the gnome over to the "stables," perhaps someone to guide the "horse," while the rest of the group uses that huge bluff to get Taral either past the guards as a prisoner, or we combine Taral, Lief, and Aeric's Cha scores to steamrole the guards.

So what do we want to do? Bluff some kind of accident, a captured prisoner, or use the truth as a way to conceal a lie? I'm down for any of those, or other ideas.

atomiclemming
2013-01-03, 03:46 PM
Sorry guys, I was out of town and unable to post for a bit there.

I am ok with the prisoner gambit.
give tinau a few minues and he can whip up a new disguise or even take off his current one.
The duchess would surely recognize him and brand him an enemy

Tukka
2013-01-03, 04:47 PM
I've also been busy with holiday stuff over the past few days.

So, some catch up and comments:

Aurora: Horses are large, and you can only wild shape into creatures your size or larger, so a smaller beast of burden may be a better choice -- a pony or donkey maybe.

Tintau: Note that your mission on the island is covert, and if everything has gone to plan so far, the Risuri fleet is out of sight and the Duchess is completely unaware of any hostile Risuri/RHC presence on the island. If she finds out you're here, it could put her on her guard and cause her to be suspicious of the other constables she'd tricked.

Taral: Though you didn't spot any gnomes serving among the Duchess's forces, you didn't have an opportunity to do much of a survey of her forces in the fort. Given her fey ties, though, there's nothing immediately suspicious about the idea of a gnome being counted among her forces. Saradoc is pretty good with words, so he may might be able to sell that lie.

You guys can continue to nail down the details of your plan or post your action. If you approach either of the gates you can assume you're treated with suspicion but aren't immediately attacked, and make whatever checks seem pertinent whenever you want.

Edit: Tomorrow (or earlier) I'll do a more detailed IC post describing how the guards react to your appearance and actions.

Tegu8788
2013-01-03, 11:14 PM
Ok, so Aurora is a pony. Or an emu, because they are more fun.

Tintau should be ok as is, if that's what he wants to do.

Perhaps Taral should apply his bluff boosters to Saradoc.

Like I said, I'm open to anything, just need everyone else's input.

Falconknight06
2013-01-06, 09:40 PM
Well those rolls went pretty well. My worst was bluff, and I rolled a ten on it. I'm particularly proud of my thievery roll though, if I do say so myself :smallamused:

Tegu8788
2013-01-07, 12:19 AM
So, I think we can now tell them whatever we want, and they will believe us.

Now, we can have our fake gnomish ally and our fake tiefling spy, with pony concealing all the gear we stowed in the bag.


We need to take advantage of this, I may never roll this well again in this game.

mullensmd
2013-01-08, 06:46 PM
So, where is Aurora during all this?

Don't think they'd be leadng a pony all over the fort like that

Tukka
2013-01-08, 07:53 PM
I forgot to Myers mention that they're using the stables as the brig for the time being, but that there's still a couple stalls free. Ilwine will mention that on the way.

So the pony form won't be suspicious as long as you're heading in that direction either. However, you could shift out of pony form in an alleyway after parting company with Ilwine if you wish.

Tegu8788
2013-01-08, 10:40 PM
Are the stables anywhere near to where we want to get, IE, the port? And which, if either, are within the inner wall?

Tukka
2013-01-08, 11:39 PM
The brig/stables and the lighthouse/gatehouse are both located in the outer fort, so neither is within the inner wall. They're not close together. The lighthouse is located on the fort's northmost outer wall, while the brig was described as being located in the southeastern quadrant of the fort, which puts them maybe 500-800 yards apart.

The inner fort only houses the central keep, a tall, domed tower, as far as you know -- and a bunch of weeds.

Edit: Here's a rough map of the Axis Fort. Note that there are dozens of smaller buildings within the outer fort that I didn't draw -- it's pretty much a small town, though most of the buildings appear to be vacant. The harbor is also walled off from the rest of the outer fort, but if you approach them you can see from a distance that those gates are open. The harbor wall is being patrolled in much the same fashion as the outer walls -- it may be possible to slip into the harbor unnoticed (though the gatehouse itself may be more heavily guarded).


https://dl.dropbox.com/s/yadmrhda67grjff/2013-01-08%2023.49.01.jpg

Tegu8788
2013-01-09, 12:02 AM
Oh how I'm trying not to suggest splitting the party...

I say we get as close to the stables as we can, then once inside, alter our disguises, and try and make it to the dock. Taral can heal/clean himself, and perhaps we can play up the Gnome/Fey connection. The humans and half-elf shouldn't arouse suspicion, and if the pony becomes a large dog, that should make sense.

Or a Fey Panter, to increase the fake Fey connection. Taral could play a charmed servant, he has a few Fey themed ideas items that could help us play it off.


Thoughts?



Edit: Ok, looking at that map, I suggest we duck between some buildings on the way to the stable, make our shift, then head to the gates. Trying to sneak through is tempting, but comparing what I imagine our Stealth versus Cha skills, I don't think being sneaky is out best bet. Taral has instant invisibility, he just has to be next to an enemy that dies...

mullensmd
2013-01-09, 12:21 PM
Was thinking shifting, but need to ask- 4e not being my baliwick. Aurora could shift to a mouser(Cat)?

Tukka
2013-01-09, 02:11 PM
Was thinking shifting, but need to ask- 4e not being my baliwick. Aurora could shift to a mouser(Cat)?
Your character sheet has info about the nature and limits of your Wild Shape ability, but the answer is no -- for same reason you couldn't be a horse, you can only shift into creatures your size.

Basically, in polymorph and shapechanging effects have been much toned down from 3.5. The Wild Shape ability gives you a lot of latitude in terms of choosing your appearance, and also grants you access to specific druid attack powers (while limiting what you can do in some other respects), but in most mechanical respects, your character doesn't change.

Tegu8788
2013-01-09, 02:35 PM
There are certain powers that let you alter your size, but I doubt you have any at this level. That's why I suggested a large dog or Fey Panther, they should be about the right size. A cat would be a lot easier to sneak by, but its too small. You don't get any stat changes with wild shape, except the keyword beast form.

Tukka
2013-01-09, 03:30 PM
So the plan that has been laid out so far, as I understand it is that the party will head towards the gatehouse/lighthouse, attempting to avoid patrols/watchers if possible, but relying on feigned camaraderie moreso than sneakiness to get by.

Aurora will pose as some sort of animal or fey beast. Taral will pose as a charmed pet of one of the other PCs -- Saradoc, Tintau or Aeric's probably.

When the party reaches the gatehouse, they'll attempt to convince its guards to let them all inside. This will probably take some convincing.

Tomorrow I will post what happens when you approach the gatehouse according to this plan, taking into account whatever embellishments and changes you guys post in between now and then.

Taral should roll a Bluff check to sell his new persona. Tegu, indicate whether you want to take the lead, or let your "master" sell the idea -- that's what I'll use to determine whom is aiding whom.

With luck, they won't smell a rat and this will get you to the doorstep, but it will probably take a little more convincing to get them to let you inside. Probably someone other than Taral should take the lead in trying to get you further than that, but it's up to you guys.

Falconknight06
2013-01-09, 05:14 PM
OK, so we can do this! If needed, Aeric will do the talking as the DM has stated that Taral may not be our best party face at this particular moment. I think we should be able to make it to the gatehouse without too much hub-bub, but getting in will be rather interesting. Also, I recommend a large dog, as dogs with adventurers are likely ignorable.

atomiclemming
2013-01-09, 09:50 PM
Sounds like a good plan. Tintau's disguise has been pretty good thus far ,
as long as he doesnt have to talk too much he could easily pass for a primalist

Tegu8788
2013-01-09, 11:32 PM
Taral could be used as a mouthpiece then, because his "master" is too important to speak with commoners. It would be more of a challenge, but would us to all move together.

And give me a chance to pull another random person from my ... hat.


Edit: I mean, my Aid Another worked so well last time, might as well try it again.

Tegu8788
2013-01-10, 08:57 PM
Do we know where the mechanism to open the sea-gates is located? I'm in the middle of writing, and I just realized I don't know where I'm trying to go.

Tukka
2013-01-10, 09:32 PM
According to intelligence Saradoc, Aurora and Tintau were given, the sea wall gatehouse is a structure that adjoins the lighthouse. There is indeed a structure matching that description present.

The lighthouse door is clearly visible, dead ahead, on a sort of elevated porch. To the left, some stairs lead up to the porch, and behind the foot of those stairs there's a door leading into the structure that's probably the gatehouse.

Tegu8788
2013-01-10, 10:37 PM
I'd say it's time for one of our other charismatic characters to give it a try, unless we want to break ranks and fight it out. We are adjacent to our objective, and while Taral would prefer to not kill anyone he doesn't need to, if we must, we must.

And don't expect me to roll this well regularly, this is either a change in my luck or a serious fluke.

atomiclemming
2013-01-11, 12:17 PM
Well that didn't go quite as well as we had hoped.

Lets take a look at what tricks we have at our disposal.

"good-sized compartmentalized box which contains then sunrods, and two each of the following ritual scrolls: Water Breathing, Silence, Passwall, as well as a large quantity of alchemical reagents (2,110 gp worth)."
I have a few gadgets that might be helpful like a crookeye
Our inital bluff has just raised suspicions..
can one or two of us slip away and use the passwall? Does there look like there is any place that might be out of sight enough along the gaurdhouse to use it?

Tukka
2013-01-11, 01:02 PM
Slipping away unnoticed right now would be impossible for anybody who approached the lighthouse with the rest of the party -- you don't have any concealment and a few NPCs are looking right at you.

Taral's bluff may have raised some suspicions, but for now they seem to be accepting the lie at face value -- but that lie alone isn't enough for them to be willing to violate their standing orders, at least not coming from a bewitched tiefling.

So you could keep trying to charm, trick and bully your way inside. Or you could leave and try to convince them not to give you any more trouble, then come up with an alternative approach. Or you could try to take the area by force.


Does there look like there is any place that might be out of sight enough along the gaurdhouse to use it?
From inside the fort, probably not. However, if you stand at the edge of the outer wall and look at the lighthouse, you can see that it's built upon and surrounded by a few feet of rocky land which rises to nearly your current elevation in some points. An amphibious approach from outside the fort might be viable.

Edit: Also, keep in mind that as soon as you actually open the gates and signal the fleet, the jig is up. At that point one way or another you're probably going to have a fight on your hands when the troops move to try to get the gate shut again. Though the farther along you can get without arousing suspicions, the more advantageous your position will likely be.

Falconknight06
2013-01-11, 03:12 PM
Aeric's bluff, be ready for trouble if I roll poorly

Tegu8788
2013-01-11, 07:20 PM
I have some items that can be used to bribe the guards, but I don't think that's likely to do much good. The passwall is tempting, but I think that would make a much better quick escape, and I'd hate to use such a high level ritual so quickly.

Keep rolling guys, I'm ready to buff 2 to 5 points if it goes poor.

Falconknight06
2013-01-11, 07:24 PM
Well, what is the RHC's rank versus the guards?

Tukka
2013-01-11, 08:44 PM
Well, what is the RHC's rank versus the guards?
Well, as RHC agents you're not in the same chain of command as these guys, who seem to be military. The RHC is more of a law enforcement and espionage/counter-espionage organization. Sometimes there are joint operations in which special a chain of command is established... that was the case when you guys set sail on the Goshawk and again with Firbolg Company, but these guys probably don't have any orders to respect to the RHC.

The other issue is that these guys are basically rebels, so they might not be inclined to care that you are RHC anyway.

However, you could always just lie about your rank or place in the chain of command. Since you've got two good bluff checks behind you, they already believe that *someone* vaguely important is with you -- if not someone who directly ranks them, then someone who it might not be a good idea to get on the wrong side of, or whose favor it might be useful to have, hence the bonus to efforts to be diplomatic or intimidate.

Tegu8788
2013-01-11, 09:02 PM
It would not be hard to fake a "the druid needs to see the water to keep the water clear" or something. If only our actual druid wasn't in beast form for the purpose of this ruse. Does anyone have any weather/environment related powers.

Frothingslosh
2013-01-14, 12:15 AM
That could have gone.....better.

Tegu8788
2013-01-14, 12:15 AM
I'm gonna boost that roll by [roll0].

Edit: Just realized that was a natural 1.

Here comes our first fight as a new unit. Here's hoping we don't die.

As one of the new guys, is there a link I can get to a Battlemap, or a similar type thing?

Tukka
2013-01-14, 02:54 PM
Edit: Just realized that was a natural 1.
Fortunately, a natural 1 isn't an automatic failure on a skill check. :)


As one of the new guys, is there a link I can get to a Battlemap, or a similar type thing?
If and when a battle breaks out, I'll post a link to the map in the thread. Here's an example map (https://dl.dropbox.com/s/m40a9q0ujyk5evz/CT7.png) from the fight that took place on the Coaltongue.

Frothingslosh
2013-01-14, 02:58 PM
I'm all for pushing the issue and getting everyone in. If there are no objections, I'll do just that.

Just to be certain, we need to get to the gatehouse. Our ruse says that we want to go to the top, but if the guard doesn't follow us in we may be able to avoid that.

I don't like the idea of leaving a familiar awake in all of this, but their ability to travel away from their master is more limited in 4e, barring some feats. We might be able to ignore it, but it still makes me nervous.

Tegu8788
2013-01-14, 03:11 PM
If its not a failure then I do want to apply that +4, in fact. Also, did you add +2 from the diguise kit I used on you? +6 can make a big difference.

Tukka
2013-01-14, 03:18 PM
I treated the check as intimidate rather than bluff, and it was a success.

Jorjah would accompany you inside and explain the situation to the people on the ground floor and the woman on the second floor, then he exits the lighthouse and stands guard just outside it.

Tegu8788
2013-01-14, 03:46 PM
Novel uses for bluff...

I say we send our Druid, in beast form, along, and our rogue. Likely to need his dexterity to get the mechanism open.

Then, to draw attention away from our sneaky friends, Taral will need to be restrained, because this far from the Master, the charm is wearing off. We can make a big scene, and if I may take one of the party ladies hostage, we can drag it out even longer.

Falconknight06
2013-01-14, 06:05 PM
If at all possible, I wish I hadn't screwed up that roll so badly. I invested in the wrong skill apparently. Even with the +2 from earlier, I'm one off. Unless I get a bonus for actually being interested in engineering (what with my gunsmith-ness), I'm not getting in, and I'm not sure I want to risk ruining this for everyone with another diplomacy check. Ideas?

Falconknight06
2013-01-14, 06:39 PM
All the success is mine!!! I get to see it alone even! Thank you dice roller! Hope everyone is ready, cause it is about to go down.

Tukka
2013-01-14, 07:14 PM
All the success is mine!!! I get to see it alone even! Thank you dice roller! Hope everyone is ready, cause it is about to go down.
To clarify, you're not alone, the soldier Paine is in the room with you, watching to make sure you don't try any funny business. To get some privacy, that check has to be made separately.

Also, I know Saradoc's player wanted to make an attempt to get everyone inside and Taral's player had some ideas as well. But we shouldn't get too bogged down in discussion. I'll give everyone until tomorrow at 4 pm EST to lock in their actions/proposals and do my best to reconcile them all then.

mullensmd
2013-01-14, 07:51 PM
Sorry about not saying much in game for the past few- me and the computer have been having an argument about it working.

ANYway- Expect Aurora to shift over to a cat anyway- but no mouser. She'll shift over to large cat- simalar to ones seen in the mountains. From that point she'll stick close to one of the others- probably Saradoc or Tintau- assuming the role of 'companion'

atomiclemming
2013-01-14, 09:19 PM
My apologies as well.. havent had as much time as of late to be on here.
I can attempt to get Tral and myself into the guardhouse and then if we can figure out how to maybe distract the guard we should be able to get the gate started.

Tegu8788
2013-01-14, 09:29 PM
It's alright folks. You can probably figure out my work schedule based around my posting schedule. Those of you that have actual lives aren't as likely to be post happy as I am.

Falconknight06
2013-01-14, 10:08 PM
Well, I've been able to get into the gatehouse, and have ideas for how to get the gate open "accidentally." A distraction to get the guard out might be nice. But we'll see what happens with everyone else's actions.

Tegu8788
2013-01-14, 10:16 PM
Distraction given. Once you figure out which button to push/level to pull/wheel to spin, trip on your way to go help.

And, depending on what the specifications of your pistol is, it would not be unreasonable to say that emptying the barrel while the muzzle is stuffed firmly in a guard's gut could double as a silencer. Then again, I've never met a knife that needed to be silenced.

Just avoid the girl upstairs, I've got a bad vibe on that one.

Falconknight06
2013-01-14, 10:22 PM
Still hoping to do this with little to no bloodshed. We don't have any evidence that all of these guards are also traitors. Also, I'm hoping for some thievery magic, but I'll wait for the "getting everything happened" post before posting my idea for thievery. And remember, 10 rounds for the gate to fully open. I hope we're ready.



I'll give everyone until tomorrow at 4 pm EST to lock in their actions/proposals and do my best to reconcile them all then.

Tukka
2013-01-14, 10:27 PM
Another thing you guys have to do is signal the fleet. You've got a scroll of pyrotechnics that will get the job that I said can be cast in 1 minute. It'll take several minutes for the fleet to arrive after that, and you'll need some way of preventing someone from just shutting the gate before they arrive.

Tegu8788
2013-01-14, 10:29 PM
Oh true, like I said at the beginning, dead bodies don't help us out, but if you can't do something without being seen, make sure you aren't being watched.

If we are really lucky, we can distract them to the point where they don't even notice the gate opening.

Highly unlikely though.



And let the record show, at least since the second group has joined in, everything has been done to avoid fighting. In 4E.

Falconknight06
2013-01-14, 10:36 PM
Another thing you guys have to do is signal the fleet. You've got a scroll of pyrotechnics that will get the job that I said can be cast in 1 minute. It'll take several minutes for the fleet to arrive after that, and you'll need some way of preventing someone from just shutting the gate before they arrive.

Well I currently plan on sabotaging the controls after using them to open the gates, and barricading the gatehouse to prevent them closing it. Also, who has the scroll?

Tukka
2013-01-14, 10:45 PM
Well I currently plan on sabotaging the controls after using them to open the gates, and barricading the gatehouse to prevent them closing it. Also, who has the scroll?
Sabotaging the gate controls will help, but it may be difficult to sabotage thoroughly enough to trust that the rebels won't be able to fix them in time. There are materials around that could definitely be helpful in constructing barricades, but nothing that a determined force couldn't break through given a bit of time.

I believe Aurora is carrying the scrolls presently, though Aurora wants to, she can decide she handed them off to someone else before approaching the lighthouse.

atomiclemming
2013-01-14, 10:56 PM
Saradoc (the mock druid) has all the scrolls

Tegu8788
2013-01-14, 10:56 PM
Given their apparent level of understanding, it seems like a rewiring the controls may be the best bet, then breaking the external stuff. Make them spend time getting new levers and buttons, only to find that, for some reason, the gate keeps opening wider.

Edit: And yes, having our actual druid pretending to be the animal companion for a fake druid was a smart idea. Is the Binder even Fey Pact?

atomiclemming
2013-01-14, 10:57 PM
sorry tukka, thought I remembered rabi picking up the box of alchemical agents and the scrolls.

Tukka
2013-01-14, 11:07 PM
sorry tukka, thought I remembered rabi picking up the box of alchemical agents and the scrolls.
That may be and I might have missed it. We'll just say he did, then.

On another note, we haven't heard from Leif's player (Infernally Clay) in a while -- I contacted her a couple days ago and haven't had a response. I'm going to take control of the character for now and contact the alternate players to see if any of them are still interested. If none of them are, I have another player lined up who will probably join.

atomiclemming
2013-01-14, 11:10 PM
You may be right as well.. aurora was part of the A team going in and our group was a second backup plan.

Anyone got any bright ideas now that we have two guards in here with us?

Tegu8788
2013-01-14, 11:15 PM
When we level up I'll be able to take on more defender traits.

Also, I've found a picture of the scar I want on Taral's left palm, the original of all his non-stabby/talky abilities.

http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz107/IK-Kingmakers-Imagery/DnD%20Pictures/Evil-God-Tiamat.jpg

Edit: For bright ideas, here's some that aren't. Taral goes into a panic, and throws himself at one of the guards, trying to beg and plead for his freed. In doing so, he attempts a grab, possibly even a disarm. However, that would make him likely to get himself stabbed.

Would one of the ladies like to, distract, the guards? An olde, but a goode.

Then there is always the two allies that fight, enter guards, who find themselves surrounded.

Falconknight06
2013-01-15, 04:07 PM
OK, so from what I can gather

Aeric is in the gatehouse with the one smoking soldier

Everyone else is on the second floor of the lighthouse with the Dagger and Orb lady and Jorjah? Is that correct?

Cause seriously, stuffs about to go down in about a minute. My thievery rolls are a comin'

Tukka
2013-01-15, 04:28 PM
Sounds about right. There are also a few soldiers on the ground floor of the lighthouse.

Falconknight06
2013-01-15, 06:14 PM
Well, my sabotage has failed, but I think I definitely made it look accidental whatever I was able to do. Just letting it be known that combat is about to happen, as when the guard comes to push me away from it, I'll be attacking to make sure the gate keeps opening. So here is this when it needs to happen

Initiative
[roll0]


I am so bad at everything. I think I ruined everything. Also, I hope the party can see the gate opening from where they are so they know to use the scroll.

EDIT: All of the failure

EDIT Part 2: I was trying to go for the scene in Dr. Who when the tenth doctor is acting confused in an alien ship, flipping all the switches seemingly accidentally, and he causes the ship to explode. That was what the bluff was for.

Falconknight06
2013-01-15, 08:19 PM
I just crit for 16 damage!!! Go me

Tegu8788
2013-01-15, 08:54 PM
Oh all the fails. And not just you Falconknight.

And the crit should max out all those dice, so instead of 16, that's 21 non-lethal. So even if it started bad, that's a pretty solid opening. A very polite, if ruthless, opening.


Edit: Also, would it be possible to get a key for the map? It looks like he just made an amazing attack, on a minion.

Falconknight06
2013-01-15, 09:49 PM
Oh all the fails. And not just you Falconknight.

And the crit should max out all those dice, so instead of 16, that's 21 non-lethal. So even if it started bad, that's a pretty solid opening. A very polite, if ruthless, opening.

I'm 98% sure it doesn't max out Sneak attack dice, only weapon or power damage dice

Tegu8788
2013-01-15, 09:56 PM
I thought it was only the extra crit die you got from magic weapon that wasn't maximized, but I'm not a rogue expert.

Falconknight06
2013-01-15, 10:03 PM
I thought it was only the extra crit die you got from magic weapon that wasn't maximized, but I'm not a rogue expert.

Just found it, you're right. You only have to roll high crit and magic weapon crit dice, so my sneak attack is also maxed.



I just did 21 damage guys!!!

Tegu8788
2013-01-15, 10:14 PM
Great kid. Don't get cocky!

atomiclemming
2013-01-15, 10:31 PM
Is S-22 where the stairs empty out , if not this is where Tintau would like to be positioned. otherwise p-22. I want to be where I can be most effective with the crossbow.

atomiclemming
2013-01-16, 02:08 PM
Also, if you could repost my char sheet back in dropbox that would be awesome, makes a handy reference when I am away from my home computer.
Also what are the stats on the air elemental? I checked back and I still have the medallion.
Can it lift anything (like say something the size of a turret) and set it down gently?
Can it attack?
How many hps etc etc

Tegu8788
2013-01-17, 04:58 PM
Another crit!?

We are starting this fight off with a bang!


Edit: And to be clear, how many of us get that surprise round? And would it be possible for my character to be placed at P18.

Tukka
2013-01-17, 09:22 PM
Hey guys, sorry for the lack of updates. I haven't been feeling well and may not be able to post over the next few days.

In the meantime you guys can tell me where you want to reposition your characters before the enemies go (they won initiative). I'll use any dice rolls you guys have made so far, but you shouldn't take any more turns for now.

Another thing you can do while I'm gone is go through your character sheets and let me know (here or by PM) the guidelines for how you want to use your powers that are immediate actions.

Hopefully I'll be back and better soon.

Tegu8788
2013-01-17, 10:19 PM
The first time Taral gets hit he'll want to use infernal wraith, and the first time some dies adjacent to him or he kills some, he'll want to be invisible.

Also, while doing mechanics, can you move the paladin up the staircase and onto the second level with us.


And most importantly, get better. Taking care yourself is always more important than the game. Thanks for letting us know, now get yourself better.

Rannoch
2013-01-18, 04:57 AM
[F]Rannoch here. I was interested in playing the game when it first started but didn't have time... I do now so I guess I'm going to be joining the party, thanks Tukka! I hope you get well soon.

I haven't played pen/paper D&D before but I have played some games by mail and I'm a huge fan of complex boardgames so I hope to have fun playing with everyone. Anyway, if anyone has a suggestion for something I should do with my character (or an adjustment to my background), feel free to let me know.

Character's speech color will be SaddleBrown

I'll be playing Alleran (call me Al) an Eladrin Paladin who lacks the natural grace of his kin but makes up for it in wisdom and his ability to absorb the damage meant for others. Al grew up in Vekesh enclave and dedicated his life to his god. Al was selected to become a Vekeshi Mystic as he trained to become a Paladin and absorbed both sets of teachings. Al suffered from wanderlust; when he came of age he left home and has spent the past year in Flint. Al felt that the best way to follow his duties was to work with the lawful authorities in Flint. Al has worked for the RHC and Risuri Navy among others.

Unlike most Eladrin who live their lives among humans, Al doesn't wear any gold to prevent teleportation. Al will typically wear a small gold hoop in his ear (with a brass latch to interrupt the circle) and a brass ring. The organizations who hire him are unaware that his fey step abilities are uninhibited.

Should Al ever meet any Eladrin women (especially if they are enslaved) his duty to his people may conflict with the what needs to be done.

Two Contacts: (I'll need to work on these later)

Contact 1: Someone from the nettles, a local townswoman Al has helped during his off-duty time.

Contact 2: Local steamboat captain, <name>, who works the bay transporting goods to/from Pine Island and has smuggled goods to feed his family. Offered Al work when Al first came to town and they've maintained a healthy relationship since. Al has used his connections with the Navy to warn <captain's name> of sting operations and the captain has tipped Al to some less savory practices happening in the Pine Island area.

Tegu8788
2013-01-18, 11:56 AM
Welcome [F]Rannoch. Sounds like an interesting character. Replace one Paladin with another. I look forward to seeing racial and national duty conflicting sometime.

atomiclemming
2013-01-18, 04:52 PM
Welcome Ranny,
Just don't call me betty

Frothingslosh
2013-01-20, 11:47 PM
You'd think that I'd remember to check every time I get an email so that the thread doesn't run away without me.

Time for some fun. I'd like to see the key to the various tokens before suggesting a re-positioning, but Saradoc would try and not be next to anyone.

Tukka
2013-01-21, 12:47 AM
I'll try to post an update tomorrow. In the meantime, here's the PC token key (https://dl.dropbox.com/s/vxrfpywrk4sahlf/PCIconkey.png) (which I've also added to the player table in the original post).

As for the NPCs, the guy with the white beard is Jorjah (a glaive-wielding soldier), the guys with hexagonal borders are minion soldiers with longswords and longbows. The tanned blonde is apparently Alice, and she's got an orb and a dagger, the little guy with the green border is the fey drake, and the scruffy looking guy is brutish looking fellow with a hammer whose name you didn't catch. [Edit: Oh, and the bald guy has a shillelagh.]

Also, welcome Rannoch. I'll try to get your character and everything sorted out tomorrow. It might be a bit difficult gracefully working you in to this encounter, so if you want you can control Leif, who conveniently will have the same powers and attributes as your character, except instead of Fey Step she has Heroic Effort.

Rannoch
2013-01-21, 02:35 AM
I can take control of Leif for this encounter.
I'm making the assumption that the enemy takes their actions first (based on the initiative rolls from the IC thread).

You probably couldn't work me into this particular encounter but I'm okay with playing Leif for now. Feel free to railroad me into the game at your convenience. :smallsmile:

Tegu8788
2013-01-21, 08:17 AM
Why, I suddenly have a very strong compulsion to go search out that fey tower...

Tukka
2013-01-21, 10:42 PM
Also, while doing mechanics, can you move the paladin up the staircase and onto the second level with us.
I thought I'd leave her downstairs with Aeric so he doesn't have to deal with a three-on-one situation (which will get worse for him when the guys outside reach the building). Upstairs you guys have the enemies outnumbered and have a lot of healing capacity.

I moved Saradoc to S-22 so he wouldn't be adjacent to anyone (but still adjacent to a window, consistent with his story).

As noted previously, nobody has their weapons drawn among the PCs except Saradoc and Aurora, as it would've been suspicious. Leif doesn't have her shield readied either, and Aeric didn't have his dagger out (but his attack crit vs. a minion so it doesn't matter, but he'll probably have to draw a weapon this round).

I'm going to roll all of the enemy actions here, I'll describe the outcome and summarize status conditions in the IC thread after I work out what hit.

Enemy actions:

Fey Drake
Standard: Invisibility
Move: Stands up

Jorjah - Rebel Soldier
Move: Shifts from P-19 to P-18
Standard: Glaive attack vs. Taral [roll0] vs. AC to hit, [roll1] damage (on a hit, Taral is marked, slowed, grants combat advantage and slides 1 square to Q-20).

Rebel Investigator
Minor: Draws his shillelagh
Move: Runs from X-6 to R-8
Standard: Runs from R-8 to V-10

Rebel Patrolman 1
Move: Shifts from H-11 to H-10
Minor: Opens the gatehouse-lighthouse door
Standard: Draws his longbow

Rebel Patrolman 2
Minor: Draws his longsword
Standard: Longsword against Leif [roll2] vs. AC, 4 damage on a hit
Move: Shifts from K-13 to K-12

Rebel Patrolman 3
Move: Walks from R-11 to N-9
Standard: Walks from N-9 to K-8
Minor: Opens the door to the gatehouse entrance

Rebel Patrolman 4
Move: Walks from M-2 to J-8
Minor: Draws his longbow
Standard: Longbow Skirmish (moves from J-8 to I-8) against Aeric [roll3] vs. AC, 4 damage on a hit

Rebel Patrolman 5-8 all draw their longbows run in the direction of the lighthouse/gatehouse with their move and standard actions.

Rebel Patrolman 9
Unconscious

Alice - Rebel Wizard
Move: Shifts from T-19 to S-18.
Minor: Draws her orb
Standard: Personal Thundercloud attack vs. Taral [roll4] vs. Will to hit, [roll5] thunder damage. On a hit, target takes ongoing 2 lightning damage (save ends). The target takes a -4 penalty to this save, which is reduced by 1 point for every square he moves on his turn before making the save. When the target takes ongoing damage, any ally adjacent to him takes 2 lightning damage.

Rebel Bruiser
Minor: Draws his hammer
Move: Walks from G-12 to H-8
Standard: Charges from H-8 to I-6 and attacks Aeric with his Hammer [roll6] vs. AC, [roll7] damage on a hit.

Tegu8788
2013-01-21, 11:17 PM
I had always understood the initiative order as explaining how long it takes for everyone to pull out their weapons and get ready to fight. If not, this will drastically change my opening moves. Having a shield will drastically reduce my effectiveness, unless I keep it strapped on all the time, which just doesn't make sense.

Time to get creative.



Are we free to respond?

Tukka
2013-01-21, 11:39 PM
I had always understood the initiative order as explaining how long it takes for everyone to pull out their weapons and get ready to fight. If not, this will drastically change my opening moves. Having a shield will drastically reduce my effectiveness, unless I keep it strapped on all the time, which just doesn't make sense.
The compendium entry for initiative doesn't mention anything about characters automatically readying items, I'll look a bit deeper elsewhere tomorrow (let me know if you've got a reference for that).

My thought is that readying weapons/shields generally won't be an issue if you know you're walking into a dangerous situation and you're not trying to look unconcerned. I'll reevaluate this if it seems to me that the shield-users are being overly punished by going that way.


Are we free to respond?
Yep.

Also, to Aeric: You could undo what Paine did before you struck him is a minor action.

Tegu8788
2013-01-21, 11:58 PM
I have no source at all, it's how another DM explained his understanding of it to me. I don't mean to try and run your game, and I know better than to argue with my DM.


And in the vein of me not telling the DM what to do, have you considered using Google Drive for a combat map and tracker? A couple of the games I'm in use them, and it's nice, because it does a lot of the math for you (DM can hide the monster defenses but doesn't have to be online for the player it figure out if he's hit or not), and the player can move there own piece around. Gives the players a bit more freedom, and takes some pressure off the guy running the world.

Tukka
2013-01-22, 12:11 AM
I don't have a problem with players letting me know if I'm getting something wrong. I try to be transparent about any houserules I impose, so if you catch me deviating from RAW in a way that I haven't notified you guys of in advance, feel free to let me know.

And thanks for the heads up regarding Google Drive. I have briefly looked into it in the past, but I should probably scope it out more thoroughly. I'm already pretty comfortable with MapTools, but I'll see what it would take for me to adapt.

Rannoch
2013-01-22, 01:48 AM
So would getting my sword and shield ready be considered 1 or 2 minor actions?

Turn 1
I draw my sword (minor action), I ready my shield (standard action), I move to the a more advantageous location (J13 to H13 to H12 - move action).

I'm okay with this granting an opportunity attack to the swordsman.

Tegu8788
2013-01-22, 07:02 AM
The shield is a standard action to put on, hence my comment about it being hard for us. And you've already got Devout protector expertise? I was gonna take that, but I'll have to rethink that.

Frothingslosh
2013-01-22, 02:52 PM
Typically, all of that stuff is assumed in the initiative / being ready in a hostile environment. In this case we were trying to not arouse suspicions, so it makes sense to me that obvious combat equipment would not have been ready.

Also, the Devout Protector Expertise feat is so wonderfully abusive. No range on the bonus, and here's a shield bonus to everyone (so it stacks so nicely).

Tukka, I assume that I would need to move to the top of the stairs (Q22) to go down them - so it would take me 10 movement (S22-R21 2 move, R21-Q21 1 move, Q21-P22 2 move, P22-J14 4 move, J14-J13 1 move) to get to the open square near the bottom of the stairs.

atomiclemming
2013-01-22, 03:33 PM
IIRC Saradoc has the scroll we need to summon the calvary. I am thinking he might want to head up to the top level and set it off

Rannoch
2013-01-22, 03:34 PM
The shield is a standard action to put on, hence my comment about it being hard for us. And you've already got Devout protector expertise? I was gonna take that, but I'll have to rethink that.

I missed that it was a standard action. I edited what I would like to do appropriately.

Devout Protector Expertise was a no brainer for me to pick it up early. Passive bonus 1 AC shield bonus to everyone? heck yes

Frothingslosh
2013-01-22, 04:08 PM
Good point. I was going to try and do some minion control, but I'll pass this round.

Actions in the IC thread shortly.

Frothingslosh
2013-01-22, 04:44 PM
That could have gone better.

To recap, I'm at R20, no concealment, and a whole bunch of miss going around.

atomiclemming
2013-01-22, 04:56 PM
Alice and Jorjah should be in my sphere of punishing eye. If anyone hits them add +4 to the damages..
If the dragon is within three squares does losing concealment mean he is visible?

Falconknight06
2013-01-22, 05:11 PM
Recap for Aeric

Healed myself for 8

Attacked both guards in gate house, probably hit the one by the door for 5 damage

If I hadn't already done it, Aeric would have undone whatever the earlier guard did to keep the gate opening as his other minor action (forgoing a move action)

Also, I just looked it up, and apparently there is no less damage or to hit for offhand weapons in 4e

Frothingslosh
2013-01-22, 05:25 PM
The concealment was for me. If I move 3 or more on my turn I get concealment until the end of my next turn.

Tegu8788
2013-01-22, 07:57 PM
As I am dyslexic and a very visual person, can I ask for an update to the map before I take my turn? I've got a good idea of what I want to do, just want to make sure I don't run over an ally as I do it.

mullensmd
2013-01-23, 12:56 PM
Shall I assume Aurora's actions will take place in the next round?

Tukka
2013-01-23, 04:39 PM
I forgot to mention in the condition summary that Taral gets a +5 to his next save vs. the ongoing lightning.

I forgot to process Aurora's action after I took the enemies' turns, so I included that in the IC post first thing.

Also, for Tintau, deploying the contraption is always only ever a minor action (it says in the power description that retrieving it is part of the action).

Leaving difficult terrain (like the tables) does not cost additional movement, so Saradoc was able to make it where he wanted to and has concealment.

Frothingslosh
2013-01-23, 04:45 PM
I didn't think to add it, because I didn't think I'd drop anyone, but since I took out Alice I'll use Cloud Sight on Jaral (he has a -5 to hit me until the end of my next turn).

If I get hit, I'll use Fade Away.

Do I need to be on the third floor to call in the fleet?

Rannoch
2013-01-23, 04:48 PM
Lets put Leif in H11 per your suggestion Tukka.

Question:
Would I be able to use my Radiant Delirium on the stairs to hit the burly dude that's hitting Aeric?

Falconknight06
2013-01-23, 05:09 PM
Just in case it comes up, Aeric's AC is actually 17 versus Attacks of Opportunity because of artful dodger (Add Cha to AC vs AoO)

Also, what sort of action would it be to delay the closing of the gate, something like jamming some shurikens into the levers to prevent them being switched off or something like that.

Tukka
2013-01-23, 06:15 PM
Lets put Leif in H11 per your suggestion Tukka.
Got it.


Would I be able to use my Radiant Delirium on the stairs to hit the burly dude that's hitting Aeric?
You could use it from where you are now, but he has a cover (either from the enemy in front of you, or the wall). If you were standing at the foot of the stairs, he wouldn't have cover from any walls or structures.


I didn't think to add it, because I didn't think I'd drop anyone, but since I took out Alice I'll use Cloud Sight on Jaral (he has a -5 to hit me until the end of my next turn).

If I get hit, I'll use Fade Away.
Noted.


Do I need to be on the third floor to call in the fleet?
No, an open window or any outdoor area should work fine. Any of the windows on the second floor can be opened as a minor action. They're all currently closed.


Just in case it comes up, Aeric's AC is actually 17 versus Attacks of Opportunity because of artful dodger (Add Cha to AC vs AoO)

Noted.


Also, what sort of action would it be to delay the closing of the gate, something like jamming some shurikens into the levers to prevent them being switched off or something like that.
You could jam try jamming them as a standard action, but it would be tough and you're not sure how much good it would do . The gate mechanism/control looks to be a robust, precision-crafted piece of Danoran engineering. The levers are actually more like sliders, and there's not much of a gap to jam anything in. Also, even if you did manage to jam one or two of the levers, it's possible that with a little time, someone might be able to unjam them, or use the other controls to shut the gate in a more roundabout way. Plus, there's always the risk of an unintended malfunction.

Ideally, you'd want a minute or so to look at the mechanism and perhaps check out its guts and make your sabotage attempt, and even then it might be a tricky job.

Tegu8788
2013-01-23, 10:01 PM
Long day, but about to post.


And I may have just realized the new links are to different maps, not one that's being updated...

Tukka
2013-01-23, 10:11 PM
Yeah, I've been overwriting the old map so all of the links to maps in this encounter should show the latest version.

Or do you mean the maps aren't updated from your point of view? I'm not sure why that would be, unless perhaps your browser is reading them from your cache for some reason. If that's the case, maybe try hitting reload.

Tegu8788
2013-01-23, 10:50 PM
I was just looking at the cached version. Problem corrected.

Those rolls were pretty good, remembered right after I posted to add 1 for charging, but I don't think it would matter. So, that's 13 nonlethal damage, a divine sanction placed, and 7 ongoing cold/necrotic damage. And hopefully that save will work.

atomiclemming
2013-01-23, 10:52 PM
Well that round went better than expected..
with the punishing eye addition to the poke Tegu gave jojah (sp)
Well that had to have left a mark :)

Falconknight06
2013-01-23, 10:57 PM
Hmm, so now I must play defender for a machine, this shall be interesting. Also, do you want our next actions, or are you going to post the enemies actions first?

Tegu8788
2013-01-23, 11:11 PM
If jumping out a window wasn't such a horrible idea that would be the plan.

Also, the first enemy to hit Taral will get a face full of fire, Infernal Wrath does 1d6+5 fire damage. And if he kills anyone, or someone dies adjacent, he will use Hidden Lore to turn invisible.

Tukka
2013-01-23, 11:18 PM
You can describe what you want to do now. Just me know if you want to wait until the enemies' act to confirm your actions, or if you want me to do what you indicated no matter what as long as it's possible. Or you can wait until after the enemies act to post your actions.

Anybody can always give me as much detail as they want in terms of contingencies and guidelines about how their characters act in the event that you're drawn AFK for 48 hours+ and I have to decide how to act for you.

As you might have imagined, Taral's attack hits. I'm a bit tired now so I may not post the enemies' actions tonight, but should have it done sometime tomorrow afternoon.

Falconknight06
2013-01-23, 11:21 PM
I find it is easier to describe my actions after the enemy acts, so I'll wait until they go to post my actions. Also, just to reiterate, Aeric will try his best not to kill these people unless absolutely necessary for the mission and his survival.

Tegu8788
2013-01-23, 11:33 PM
Same here, hence the smash to the face. And if I have to draw my weapon, I'm going to be stylish doing it.

Rannoch
2013-01-23, 11:36 PM
I find it is easier to describe my actions after the enemy acts, so I'll wait until they go to post my actions. Also, just to reiterate, Aeric will try his best not to kill these people unless absolutely necessary for the mission and his survival.
Same.
Here's hoping you (Aeric) can stay alive until I get there.

Tegu8788
2013-01-23, 11:40 PM
Rannoch, so that I'm clear, does your character have Devout Protector or does Lief? It's the expertise I intended to take, but I can do Rod and Heavy Blade later on. Once she leaves and your Eladrin shows up, I don't want my Blackguard to overlap you.

Rannoch
2013-01-24, 12:11 AM
Both. For the purposes of taking Leif over, Leif is my character except for the Eladrin vs Human feats and theme AFAIK.

Falconknight06
2013-01-24, 12:31 AM
Don't worry, I have some plans, mostly involving the following action

Minor, drop pistols

Move, draw dagger

Standard
Use eyebite to become invisible and do damage to beefy hammer guy

Action point

Attack him with positioning strike, dealing sneak attack (I assume I get CA if Invisible) and sliding him 4 squares away from me.

And I am sort of hoping a crowd of minions comes in, because I have an attack that is a close blast three and could take out alot of them. And it only does three damage, so it could be considered less deadly than many of my other attacks.

/Planning ahead

Tukka
2013-01-24, 12:59 AM
Posting from my tablet in bed...

Dropping weapons is a free action, don't know if you have anything else you might want to do with a move/minor action . And yeah, enemies you have total concealment against grant combat advantage to you.

Tegu8788
2013-01-24, 06:47 AM
In the future lets try to flank enemies, Taral gets an extra 7 damage when he has CA.

atomiclemming
2013-01-24, 08:54 AM
Is the healing surge a standard amt for each character?
I was just wondering so I could do the roll when I toss a curative grenade at one of my teammates.
My first priority is going to be to make sure Saradoc is able to complete his part of the mission. Once things are under control upstairs then I will pick up my toys and head downstairs to help hold the door.
I don't know if it is possible at this point but we might gain some advantage to figuring out a way to bar the door.
As for actions, I will wait till the enemies post theirs, what I do is going to depend largely on how the battlefield shapes up

Falconknight06
2013-01-24, 11:40 AM
In the future lets try to flank enemies, Taral gets an extra 7 damage when he has CA.

Aeric gets an extra 2d6 once a round when he has CA

mullensmd
2013-01-24, 12:44 PM
... dice are cold today, it seems.

Just tp make sure Drake IS at T20 right?

atomiclemming
2013-01-24, 01:58 PM
It's ok it is the DM's turn anyhhow;)

Frothingslosh
2013-01-24, 02:08 PM
Surge = 1/4 of the character's hit points, plus bonuses. You add your bonus to their surge value.

I'm good at the moment, and pretty hard to hit. My plan is to get to a window and fire off the scroll. After that, minion / door maintenance downstairs (assuming our friends here are down).

atomiclemming
2013-01-24, 03:38 PM
Aeric is getting pounded.
I am going to let others go first and hopefully drop jorjah all the way. I am thinking the extra 5 he will get this round might be enough in and of itself.
Once the way is clear I plan to pick up my toy and head downstairs to try to assist aeric.

Frothingslosh
2013-01-24, 03:55 PM
For clarity's sake, what do I need to do to cast the scroll?

I might wait till next round to do that, though, and take out Jorjah instead.

Falconknight06
2013-01-24, 04:20 PM
Wow, I am the worst defender ever. If I die, tell my next character how awesome I am (I'm assuming if I die I'd get fist dibs for playing a replacement character I hope)

Also, ouch.


Let's see if I can stay up a while longer

Falconknight06
2013-01-24, 04:36 PM
Well go me, I just did 1 damage to all the guys in my room, and no one is blinded. And I am now at 11 HP. I might not make it through this fight guys, the bruiser only has to roll an 8 to hit me. It's been fun. I'm hoping the other two are minions though, hopefully leaving me one on one with the bruiser.

Frothingslosh
2013-01-24, 04:48 PM
Unfortunately, minions do not take damage on a miss. Second wind should help.

Also, those 14s might hit. Don't despair just yet.

Is the window in the room Aeric is in open, or what is the white section under the dead person?

Also, do you have a key for the status effect icons on the map?

Tukka
2013-01-24, 05:20 PM
You need the scroll and ritual components (which you both have) and access to the open spy. I just looked up pyrotechnics and the rules for ritual scrolls and it turns out it would take 30 seconds (so 5 rounds) to complete the ritual. If you have to stop the ritual, you can resume it from the beginning without having expended the scroll or components.

The next encounter is probably going to take place over a span of minutes rather than 6-second rounds. Unless this fight runs long, it may not be too much of an advantage to start the ritual casting now (I don't want you to feel like you have to exclude yourself from the rest of this combat.

I don't have a key for the status icons ready unfortunately, and it would take me a bit to whip one up. I may post one sometime after this fight if I continue using this tool.

Frothingslosh
2013-01-24, 05:30 PM
Ok, time to kill.

Also, which tool are you using (maptools I think you said)? I'll try and find a key online.

Tukka
2013-01-24, 05:34 PM
Ok, time to kill.

Also, which tool are you using (maptools I think you said)? I'll try and find a key online.
Yeah, with Rumble's 4e framework (that's where the icons come from).

Edit: Also, the white rectangle in L-8 is a door. The windows are the blue sections of the wall on the 2nd floor.

Edit 2: Also, Falconknight, roll your save vs. the slowed condition.

Rannoch
2013-01-24, 06:03 PM
Can I choose to make an attack and then depending on if I knock the guy unconscious take the rest of my turn?

Falconknight06
2013-01-24, 06:15 PM
Ah yes, rolling to save

[roll0] vs. slowed

EDIT: I am so good at dice

Tukka
2013-01-24, 06:18 PM
Can I choose to make an attack and then depending on if I knock the guy unconscious take the rest of my turn?
Yeah, just indicate what you want to do either way. (If I knock him out I will... otherwise, I...)

Tegu8788
2013-01-24, 06:26 PM
@Falconknight: You do know that dropping things are free actions, so you could have used your minion to draw, yes?

@Tukka: Dread Smite gives 2+Cha mod (5), then 5 ongoing. When Taral has CA he gets +Cha mod (5) for Dark Menace and +2 for Vice of Fury. If I posted wrong about something, apologizes, late night posting with lots of similar mods sometimes blur together.

@Atomiclemming: Go ahead down stairs, Taral can heal up any damage done on this level, the boy and girl downstairs are getting pounded. And when those guards get here, we will need them.

Falconknight06
2013-01-24, 07:04 PM
Well, moving isn't really a thing I planned to do, so it is all good

Rannoch
2013-01-24, 07:18 PM
Apparently the spoiler tags here don't work quite the way they do over at [F].

I'm afraid that if I edit my IC post, it will mess up my rolls.

Tegu8788
2013-01-24, 07:26 PM
Use the spoiler command near the right, that should handle things. And as long as you don't edit the roll itself, you're good on this board. You can't preview with a roll, so check everything before you include your roll. And remember to add the / to the second one to close it.

Tukka
2013-01-24, 08:10 PM
Apparently the spoiler tags here don't work quite the way they do over at [F].

I'm afraid that if I edit my IC post, it will mess up my rolls.
I should probably have been clearer before, but when I said you'd have a clear shot from the foot of the stairs, I meant the adjacent space, H-10. Your attack will kill the minion in H-10, so you can shift into that space and use Radiant Delirium, or if you are willing to provoke an opportunity attack, you could move as far as H-5 (you don't have to worry about OAs from the patrolman in the gatehouse, as he's wielding a bow, and the Bruiser is blinded so he can't make OAs either).


And as long as you don't edit the roll itself, you're good on this board.

Ah, thanks for that. That will let me tidy up my posting a bit, then.

A note for Aurora's player, you can change your action if you want since the fey drake's actions made your action impossible, but I'm going to hold you to the attack roll you made (which I think is fair since I let you hold on to a crit roll earlier made in similar circumstances) so the next attack you make is probably going to miss.

Rannoch
2013-01-24, 08:38 PM
Use the spoiler command near the right, that should handle things. And as long as you don't edit the roll itself, you're good on this board. You can't preview with a roll, so check everything before you include your roll. And remember to add the / to the second one to close it.
I'm going to clean up my post.


I should probably have been clearer before, but when I said you'd have a clear shot from the foot of the stairs, I meant the adjacent space, H-10. Your attack will kill the minion in H-10, so you can shift into that space and use Radiant Delirium, or if you are willing to provoke an opportunity attack, you could move as far as H-5 (you don't have to worry about OAs from the patrolman in the gatehouse, as he's wielding a bow, and the Bruiser is blinded so he can't make OAs either).

I'm assuming that moving as far as I-7 would require my action point (stairs = 6 spaces)?
I'll adjust my actions appropriately.

Tukka
2013-01-24, 10:13 PM
I'm assuming that moving as far as I-7 would require my action point (stairs = 6 spaces)?
If you want to use both Virtuous Strike and Radiant Delirium this turn, you will have to use your action point no matter what.

Right now I have your actions as:

Standard: Virtuous Strike vs. patrolman in H-10
Move: Shift to H-10 (note that shifting 1 square is a move action, just as walking to I-7 would be).
Minor: Divine Challenge vs. Bruiser
(Action Point) Standard: Radiant Delirium vs. Bruiser

At that point, you're all out of actions and couldn't perform Lay on Hands.

If I may make a suggestion, instead of using Radiant Delirium, you might charge the Bruiser with Ardent Strike (which will also mark him). That would save you a move and a minor action. You could use one action to heal yourself, and perhaps use the other to use Divine Challenge vs. the patrolman. I'll let you use the attack roll you made for Radiant Delirium with whatever attack you decide to make.

(Let me know if you don't want this kind of advice, I don't want to play your characters for you, but I know you're new to 4e, so I don't mind giving some advice for the first few encounters if it doesn't bother you.)

Tegu8788
2013-01-24, 10:20 PM
Also worth noting, that once you have charged, you can't take any more actions besides free and no actions, unless you use an action point.

Tukka
2013-01-24, 11:03 PM
Also worth noting, that once you have charged, you can't take any more actions besides free and no actions, unless you use an action point.
Ah, right, I'd forgotten about that. Still, I think he could still do everything I suggested, as long as saves the charge for last. Virtuous Strike, Lay on Hands, Divine Challenge, AP: Charge/Ardent Strike.

To atomiclemming: I'm not sure if there is any provision in the rules that would allow you to pick up the contraption, but I am going to allow it for this fight so I can resolve your action. The contraption is like a creature about the size of Saradoc when fully deployed (very unwieldy), and the only way you can normally move such a creature is to use powers involving forced movement, teleportation, etc.

I know that's limiting, but it's meant to be a somewhat limited element that opens up your tactical options a bit. I know it can be tricky to be use effectively.

Ideally you might place it somewhere like T-19 or T-22 (by a window) and then move your character somewhere else (like downstairs). That way you can either attack the enemies you encounter downstairs if you feel that's your best option, or use the contraption to attack the guys outside from the window (or if any enemies come back upstairs, it can shoot them too).

Rannoch
2013-01-24, 11:06 PM
Right now I have your actions as:

Standard: Virtuous Strike vs. patrolman in H-10
Move: Shift to H-10 (note that shifting 1 square is a move action, just as walking to I-7 would be).
Minor: Divine Challenge vs. Bruiser
(Action Point) Standard: Radiant Delirium vs. Bruiser

At that point, you're all out of actions and couldn't perform Lay on Hands.

If I may make a suggestion, instead of using Radiant Delirium, you might charge the Bruiser with Ardent Strike (which will also mark him). That would save you a move and a minor action. You could use one action to heal yourself, and perhaps use the other to use Divine Challenge vs. the patrolman. I'll let you use the attack roll you made for Radiant Delirium with whatever attack you decide to make.

(Let me know if you don't want this kind of advice, I don't want to play your characters for you, but I know you're new to 4e, so I don't mind giving some advice for the first few encounters if it doesn't bother you.)
I don't mind the suggestion; I'm trying to get a handle on how the game is played and I completely missed that shifting Leif was a move action.

Your suggestion:
Standard: V.Strike vs. Patrolman H-10
Minor: Divine Challenge on Patrolman I-8
Minor: Lay on Hands
Action Point: Charge Bruiser with Ardent Strike ending on H7

I would then do a new damage roll for Ardent Strike?

Frothingslosh
2013-01-24, 11:09 PM
If possible, could you resolve the current action set prior to my actions? I'll admit I'm a little lost on who is where and who is dead.

Frothingslosh
2013-01-24, 11:19 PM
Do I have line of sight / effect from the top of the stairs (Q22/I14) to the lower room? I can't tell if the stairs are closed or not.

Tukka
2013-01-24, 11:30 PM
I would then do a new damage roll for Ardent Strike?
Yeah, roll damage for Ardent Strike.


Do I have line of sight / effect from the top of the stairs (Q22/I14) to the lower room? I can't tell if the stairs are closed or not.
If you're on the stairs going down, you can target the bottom floor as long as you're not targeting a square that's directly below your position on the stairs. I think I said the stairs in Q-22 are going up, so I don't think you would have line of sight going that way.

Edit:


If possible, could you resolve the current action set prior to my actions? I'll admit I'm a little lost on who is where and who is dead.
I'll update the map to reflect Rannoch's action in a sec. He still has to roll damage, but that isn't going to change the look of the battlefield except for possibly bloodying the Bruiser.

Tegu8788
2013-01-24, 11:48 PM
I want to try and have Taral jump off the bench, and use his free hand to swing himself on the lip of the stairwell, flip, and come out the underside on the first floor.

How would I do that?

Frothingslosh
2013-01-24, 11:54 PM
Sorry, I working under the assumption that the stairs going up had the brown border, and that the stairs going down did not. Also, I thought that the stairs on the right hand side were the ones connecting first to second floor, and the stairs on the left hand side connected second to third.

Is the square at the top of the stairs (Q17) the same square as the top of the stairs on the first floor (I14)?

Falconknight06
2013-01-25, 01:07 AM
I have the desire to say this to the party and DM about my future plans. I plan on having Aeric design and make himself a dagger pistol of functional, but likely ridiculous, design, just so I can always have a dagger and pistol available. It is in the source book for the setting after all.

Just in case it needs to be said. I hope this can happen at some point, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Also, as earlier said in my planning for Aeric, it will hopefully manifest as him using his current pistols and upgrading them as he levels up.

Sorry for telling everyone this, but I'm excited and wanted to say it to everyone else.

Something ridiculous like this hopefully
Knife Gun (http://images.geeknative.com.s3.amazonaws.com/geeknative.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/gun-blade.jpg)

Rannoch
2013-01-25, 01:25 AM
Something ridiculous like this hopefully
Knife Gun (http://images.geeknative.com.s3.amazonaws.com/geeknative.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/gun-blade.jpg)
I don't know about ridiculous, I think that's pretty neat!

Also, I didn't realize that Leif was girl. opps

atomiclemming
2013-01-25, 08:46 AM
To atomiclemming: I'm not sure if there is any provision in the rules that would allow you to pick up the contraption, but I am going to allow it for this fight so I can resolve your action. The contraption is like a creature about the size of Saradoc when fully deployed (very unwieldy), and the only way you can normally move such a creature is to use powers involving forced movement, teleportation, etc.

I know that's limiting, but it's meant to be a somewhat limited element that opens up your tactical options a bit. I know it can be tricky to be use effectively.

Ideally you might place it somewhere like T-19 or T-22 (by a window) and then move your character somewhere else (like downstairs). That way you can either attack the enemies you encounter downstairs if you feel that's your best option, or use the contraption to attack the guys outside from the window (or if any enemies come back upstairs, it can shoot them too).
My apologies, I was thinking ti was the size of a heavy crossbow on a tripod. Had no idea it was that big. For future reference , does that mean once it is placed it stays there until the end of the encounter? Or is it possible to collapse and move it if necessary? As far as setting it up in t-19 or t-22 is it too late to move me there instead to do so?
Although to be honest I might be better off setting it up one floor down at the window so I can get close enough to the action to do some healing.

Frothingslosh
2013-01-25, 11:00 AM
Ok, small change of plans for me, which I can do now, while waiting on the stairs details.

IC post coming up.

Frothingslosh
2013-01-25, 11:20 AM
The effect of my attack is on a hit, not all of them.

Tukka
2013-01-25, 04:21 PM
I want to try and have Taral jump off the bench, and use his free hand to swing himself on the lip of the stairwell, flip, and come out the underside on the first floor.
I'll let you do that with a moderate (DC 12) Athletics check as your move action. For simplicity, on a success, you can end up in any unoccupied space not adjacent to the wall on the first floor. On a failure, you fail to grab hold of the lip of the stairwell as you jump over and fall 10 feet (assuming you descend the stairs a bit before you try to jump down, so you don't fall the full 20). You can then make an Acrobatics check to attempt to mitigate falling damage and land on your feet.

Sorry, I working under the assumption that the stairs going up had the brown border, and that the stairs going down did not. Also, I thought that the stairs on the right hand side were the ones connecting first to second floor, and the stairs on the left hand side connected second to third.

Is the square at the top of the stairs (Q17) the same square as the top of the stairs on the first floor (I14)?
Yeah, I know it's confusing. I may be interpreting the map incorrectly, but it seemed odd to me that the stairs 10 feet of stairs horizontally would carry you 20 feet vertically. That's a ridiculously steep angle, and I envisioned the stairs spiraling around the wall of the lighthouse, but that interpretation has its issues to and in retrospect may be overly complex.

To answer your question Q-17 and I-14 aren't the same squares. Q-17 corresponds to I-10 on the bottom floor (that is, Q-17 is more or less directly above I-10).

I have the desire to say this to the party and DM about my future plans. I plan on having Aeric design and make himself a dagger pistol of functional, but likely ridiculous, design, just so I can always have a dagger and pistol available. It is in the source book for the setting after all.
That shouldn't be a problem. I was thinking that if you wanted to play more of a ranged character, you might want to look into the essentials Rogue (Thief). They don't get encounter or daily powers (besides utility powers), but they get some at-will move tricks, some of which make it much easier to get combat advantage for ranged attacks.

I'm going to be pretty liberal about letting you guys rebuild/retrain your characters until your reach level 3 or so, then we'll follow the normal rules for retraining.

My apologies, I was thinking ti was the size of a heavy crossbow on a tripod. Had no idea it was that big. For future reference , does that mean once it is placed it stays there until the end of the encounter? Or is it possible to collapse and move it if it if necessary?
Normally it's immobile, with a few caveats; with the Fantastic Contraption feat (or later progression of the Technologist theme) it gains a move speed so you can spend a move action to move it. It can also be moved via forced movement powers. Also, if you had an at-will power that allowed you to move as part of the power, and you specified that your simulacrum could use that power when deploying it, it could move in the way that the power specifies.


As far as setting it up in t-19 or t-22 is it too late to move me there instead to do so?
Although to be honest I might be better off setting it up one floor down at the window so I can get close enough to the action to do some healing.
Sure, just let me know.

Falconknight06
2013-01-25, 04:57 PM
The problem is the only 4e book I have is the base players handbook. So I'm a bit limited to what I can make and do. Also, I don't want Aeric to be only ranged, my plan is actually get Firearms Expertise at level 2, which makes my pistols as effective as a hand crossbow as far as my ranged powers go (it starts counting reloading as a no action, so I can use my burst with my pistol). I'd only carry shurikens for the purpose of silent attacks. I see Aeric as being a more melee rogue, with my range being more of a five square range sort of dude.

I might try to pick up a carbine or rifle at some point if needed, but I'm seeing more knife in melee, blinding barrage if needed, and pistol when getting close is tough.

Tegu8788
2013-01-25, 05:10 PM
I've got a DDI account, if you have any questions, feel free to ask, and I'll do some research for you.

Tukka
2013-01-25, 05:11 PM
Understood.

The essentials Thief can still be an effective melee combatant, I just know it's hard to get combat advantage without flanking sometimes. (In this campaign, none of the rogues have yet been able to get off a single sneak attack!) Eyebite and Blinding Barrage work, but they take a round to set up. One disadvantage of the essentials Thief is that they don't have a lot of good burst or blast attacks that I'm aware of, although that shortcoming isn't necessarily a big deal if you've got one or two other characters in the party with burst/blast at-wills, like Saradoc.

If you're able to get a look at [i]Heroes of the Forgotten Lands, decide what you think.

Also, I believe with Firearms Expertise, reloading is still a minor action, although with advances in firearms technology that may come later in the campaign, reloading should not be very action-intensive for a Gunsmith if you have the Firearms Expertise feat. Having to spend two actions to reload does make dual pistol-wielding less effective in the meantime though; carbines are a better for general shooting.

Rannoch
2013-01-25, 05:14 PM
The problem is the only 4e book I have is the base players handbook. So I'm a bit limited to what I can make and do. Also, I don't want Aeric to be only ranged, my plan is actually get Firearms Expertise at level 2, which makes my pistols as effective as a hand crossbow as far as my ranged powers go (it starts counting reloading as a no action, so I can use my burst with my pistol). I'd only carry shurikens for the purpose of silent attacks. I see Aeric as being a more melee rogue, with my range being more of a five square range sort of dude.

I might try to pick up a carbine or rifle at some point if needed, but I'm seeing more knife in melee, blinding barrage if needed, and pistol when getting close is tough.

I'm borrowing the D&D 4e PHB from my sister and using this guide: Pillars of Faith etc... (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19649038/Pillars_of_Faith_%28and_Facestabs%29:_The_Paladins _Handbook?pg=1) and google for newer powers/abilities.

You might be able to find something similar for rogues (or crafting) and have someone with an insider subscription look it up for you.

Falconknight06
2013-01-25, 05:25 PM
Understood.

The essentials Thief can still be an effective melee combatant, I just know it's hard to get combat advantage without flanking sometimes. (In this campaign, none of the rogues have yet been able to get off a single sneak attack!) Eyebite and Blinding Barrage work, but they take a round to set up. One disadvantage of the essentials Thief is that they don't have a lot of good burst or blast attacks that I'm aware of, although that shortcoming isn't necessarily a big deal if you've got one or two other characters in the party with burst/blast at-wills, like Saradoc.

If you're able to get a look at [i]Heroes of the Forgotten Lands, decide what you think.

Also, I believe with Firearms Expertise, reloading is still a minor action, although with advances in firearms technology that may come later in the campaign, reloading should not be very action-intensive for a Gunsmith if you have the Firearms Expertise feat. Having to spend two actions to reload does make dual pistol-wielding less effective in the meantime though; carbines are a better for general shooting.


Reloading becomes a move action with Firearms Expertise, except when using a power allowing multiple ranged attacks, where it become a no action. All that means is I can use attacks like blinding barrage with my pistols against more than two people. There is another feat called speedloader (actually might be an item) that makes reloading always a minor action except for the above stated fact.

As for getting CA, you're right, it is tougher to get in this campaign, especially with the way you are doing initiative (Rogues get CA versus everyone they beat in initiative in regular 4e), but I am not complaining, it just means I need to be more creative. I like a challenge, and I actually really like my power selection so far, especially the one that lets me do damage of 1[w]+Dex mod+Cha mod as charisma is my highest stat. I've still got time to mull all this over.

I also realized Sehanine was probably not the best choice for Aeric as he is all about not favoring all good or all evil (pretty unaligned) and Aeric is what in 3.5 would be called Chaotic Good, so I may need to change the exact deity he worships, or give him a modified Sehanine.

Tegu8788
2013-01-25, 05:53 PM
Taral also works best when he has CA. There are plenty of ways to get it, be it actions, feats, powers, or just have the Rogue and Blackguard flank whenever possible.


And if I may suggest, Dex is a far more valuable stat for you than Cha. Your AC, Reflex, to-hit, and damage, not to mention your skills, are all triggered off of Dexerity. I've already figured out some changes I may make.

And if anyone wants suggestions, this (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19649074/The_Complete_Collection_of_Character_Build_Links) is a good place to look. It's where I started figuring things out.

Falconknight06
2013-01-25, 06:08 PM
Taral also works best when he has CA. There are plenty of ways to get it, be it actions, feats, powers, or just have the Rogue and Blackguard flank whenever possible.


And if I may suggest, Dex is a far more valuable stat for you than Cha. Your AC, Reflex, to-hit, and damage, not to mention your skills, are all triggered off of Dexerity. I've already figured out some changes I may make.

And if anyone wants suggestions, this (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19649074/The_Complete_Collection_of_Character_Build_Links) is a good place to look. It's where I started figuring things out.

My charisma is only my highest because I'm a Half-Elf (+2 Cha and +2 Con) So when I started, I put a 15 in both Dex and Charisma, and my half-elfness made my charisma 17. It is technically my secondary stat anyway, what with Artful Dodger. And I am not optimized, because I get bored when I'm playing optimized characters.

EDIT: OK, so I read the essentials thing, and I have an idea to up my damage and get around the whole not being able to use my rogue's first strike ability. Could I instead have the weapon finesse ability from essentials instead of it. It would let me use dex for basic melee attacks instead of strength, and a +2 damage bonus to all the weapons I already use.

And the tricks are neat, but I really like the sly flourish at-will because of the adding my charisma into damage, and my other strike attacks reflex, giving me a bit of diversity.

Tegu8788
2013-01-25, 06:15 PM
I don't want to suggest you optimize in luie of flavor, I'm playing a hybrid multiclass character, clearly not an optimizer. But I do like taking advantage of the basic stuff. And the changes I mentioned, were to my own character.

Frothingslosh
2013-01-25, 09:55 PM
I'm a fan of the Char Ops boards, but they do very much pigeon hole and limit flavor. They are great to find some great combinations or to help sort through the mass of available options, but should not be followed exactly.

Also, if you're looking for damage output, the Thief is one of the best. With the move tricks you basically always have CA, and sneak attack damage is good, especially if you use the upgrade sneak attack to d8s.

I also have a DDI account, and a group of very active players to bounce ideas off of, if you are looking for advice.

I'll be slow posting the next couple of days. I'm headed to Fort Wayne, IN for the Winter Fantasy (or some such BS name since Wizards wouldn't let them use the D&D XP). I'm excited because my group wrote one of the encounters for the Battle Interactive on Sunday (which I'll describe and explain later).

If you need to move things forward, I'll snipe from the window (using Fascinating Shadows if I need to hit the invisible Fey Drake or have more than one target available, Shadow Claws otherwise).

I also just realized that both of my attacks should have had a +1 to hit since there are no creatures adjacent to either of them. Don't change what happened, I just thought about it.

atomiclemming
2013-01-26, 08:52 PM
I am guessing we are just waiting for Aurora's move before the next round starts.
If i am away my plan is to move downstairs , draw my crossbow and fire on the minion by the stairs.
the next round I plan to move within range and use a curative admixture on aeric. then I will fire again on the minion if he is still standing.
If no enemies are threatinging anyone i am going to use a move action in liu of my standard to move the punishing eye towards the staircase

mullensmd
2013-01-27, 06:25 PM
work schedule's got me going both ways- responding now

Tegu8788
2013-01-27, 10:58 PM
Making the roll now so I'll now how flat I fall later. Athletics [roll0], and Acrobatics [roll1]. When these turn out poorly, perhaps I'll figure out a way to bull rush while flying through the air awkwardly.

I agree about the stairs, it looked to me that there where just very steep, almost more like tilted ladders, given the unusual 20 foot ceilings in a tower. I've been looking at the shading of the stair cases to try and figure out which way goes down, the shadows falling on the lower stair, clockwise to go down and counter clockwise to go up.


I'll let you do that with a moderate (DC 12) Athletics check as your move action. For simplicity, on a success, you can end up in any unoccupied space not adjacent to the wall on the first floor. On a failure, you fail to grab hold of the lip of the stairwell as you jump over and fall 10 feet (assuming you descend the stairs a bit before you try to jump down, so you don't fall the full 20). You can then make an Acrobatics check to attempt to mitigate falling damage and land on your feet.

Yeah, I know it's confusing. I may be interpreting the map incorrectly, but it seemed odd to me that the stairs 10 feet of stairs horizontally would carry you 20 feet vertically. That's a ridiculously steep angle, and I envisioned the stairs spiraling around the wall of the lighthouse, but that interpretation has its issues to and in retrospect may be overly complex.

To answer your question Q-17 and I-14 aren't the same squares. Q-17 corresponds to I-10 on the bottom floor (that is, Q-17 is more or less directly above I-10).

Tukka
2013-01-28, 01:33 PM
Taral will take [roll0] damage from falling (if the result is 0 or negative, he takes no damage and falls on his feet). Executing an attack while falling probably won't be possible, as you have to finish your movement before attacking and the movement doesn't meet the requirements of a charge, but he could land adjacent to the patrolman and attack.

As for Aurora, she could double move and make it to J-12 or J-13 by the stairs, but wouldn't be able to attack this turn. (She has 3 squares of movement left when she reaches J-14).

I'll give you guys until around 9 pm tonight to finalize your actions for this turn before moving forward.

Tegu8788
2013-01-28, 02:48 PM
Ah Gravity, though art a heartless bitch. When the floor rolls better than you do, it's time to hang your head in shame.

Because its been a while, can you clarify who still has to go this turn?

Tukka
2013-01-28, 03:05 PM
Everyone has acted except Taral, pretty much, although I'm also allowing Aurora and Tintau a bit of time to clarify some things for me. For Tintau: where he places his turret or whether he continues to carry it, for Aurora, exactly where she ends up on the bottom floor.

Rannoch
2013-01-28, 07:28 PM
Tukka, would you be able to send me a copy of my character's updated character sheet?

I'm away from home and don't have access to the old version of character builder that I was using.

Tegu8788
2013-01-28, 09:07 PM
And posted. Sorry that took so long, the weekend became unexpectedly busy, and when one teaches afterschool programs...

Hopefully that's a good enough roll to hit somebody. Taral certainly won't be able to perceive the Fey Drake with a Passive Perception of 5, so he won't even try to hit it.

Tukka
2013-01-28, 09:22 PM
I'll post in update sometime later tonight. The thing in I-9/J-9 isn't a window, it's a shelf with a bunch of tools and stuff. Drip pans, pitchers, flint, a couple lanterns, jars full of nails, wicks, oil, etc.

Tegu8788
2013-01-28, 09:27 PM
Well then, definitely yelling at the minion.

atomiclemming
2013-01-28, 10:06 PM
Everyone has acted except Taral, pretty much, although I'm also allowing Aurora and Tintau a bit of time to clarify some things for me. For Tintau: where he places his turret or whether he continues to carry it, for Aurora, exactly where she ends up on the bottom floor.

I am going to continue to carry it until I reach the lower floor.

mullensmd
2013-01-28, 11:53 PM
Assuming I'm reading the map right, I'd say Aurora ends up at J-12

Rannoch
2013-01-29, 12:30 AM
I guess I'm doing my job as defender well enough, though seeing my character's name come up so many times made me think that she was dead.

Being blinded = -5 to combat rolls?

Tukka
2013-01-29, 01:10 AM
Assuming I'm reading the map right, I'd say Aurora ends up at J-12
Taral's last post put him in that spot, so I'll put you in I-12 instead.

I guess I'm doing my job as defender well enough, though seeing my character's name come up so many times made me think that she was dead.
Yeah. Characters are generally sturdier in 4e than previous editions; typically everyone can take a good hit or three before going down, and healing is a bit more plentiful, so what a good defender (or team) does is compel the enemies to spread the damage around, while focusing damage against them. Probably I should've had the bruiser attack Leif instead of Aeric since his attack was unlikely to hit, but I'm not going to agonize over every action. In the chaos of combat sometimes people make not so great choices.

On another note, I wanted to talk a little bit about knocking enemies unconscious. This was discussed a bit on the other forum. I toyed with the idea of instituting a house rule adding more of an opportunity cost to KOing enemies, but decided against it in favor of sticking with the core rules.

However, the core rules are a little ambiguous on some things. In 4e, there is no non-lethal damage. Instead, when a PC reduce an enemy to 0 hp it dies, but the PC has the option to knock it unconscious instead. (Unconscious enemies gain 1 hp and become conscious again after a short rest.) The rules don't say what happens when an enemy takes damage while unconscious. It's also unclear what constitutes a "PC reducing an enemy to 0 hp" if the PC causes the damage indirectly or semi-indirectly (say by knocking it off a ledge).

I would like there to be some opportunity cost to KOing enemies (in addition to them possibly waking up and causing trouble for you later). What I am leaning towards saying is that only damage directly and immediately dealt by a weapon or implement attack qualifies for the "KO instead of kill" option, and that when an enemy at 0 hp takes any damage from an attack that doesn't qualify for the KO option, it dies. I might make exceptions for particular powers or damage types (Divine Sanction/Divine Challenge, maybe psychic damage).

Let me know if you guys think.

Edit:
Being blinded = -5 to combat rolls?
That's part of it, and it's generally correct. Everyone has total concealment relative to you, which means you take a -5 to ranged and melee attack rolls, though area burst and blast attacks can be made without a penalty, and damage rolls are unaffected. In addition, enemies don't provoke opportunity attacks from you if you can't see them. You also grant combat advantage, can't flank, and take a -10 to Perception checks. It's a pretty nasty condition. However, you are still aware of everyone's position (what square they're in) unless they're "hidden."

[The quickstart guide (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/quickstartrules.pdf) covers all of the conditions, though it's not 100% comprehensive and up to date on everything.]

Another Edit: I added a partial status condition icon key (https://dl.dropbox.com/s/03xu7t4t02im347/Status%20Condition%20Key.png) to the spoiler in the original post.

atomiclemming
2013-01-29, 09:42 AM
How far could I make it down? H-10 maybe?
Also at h-10 is that a window or a doorway with a 50 foot staircase?
If possible i want to make it downstairs and either assist with a bow shot or assist with some healing.

Also is the window at L12 open or closed?
The Air Elemental I am going to send down to attack the drake and try to keep him occupied. If the window at L12 is open I will send him out to harrass the investigator

Tukka
2013-01-29, 12:23 PM
How far could I make it down? H-10 maybe?
Also at h-10 is that a window or a doorway with a 50 foot staircase?
If you double move and don't jump or run, you could make it to J-14 with 4 squares of movement remaining, so yeah, that would get you to H-10.

The space at H-9 (there's nothing special in H-10) has an open door leading into the gatehouse. After that there are some stairs. The difference in elevation between the bottom floor of the lighthouse and the gatehouse is only 10 feet, so the purposes of movement you can pretty much treat them like they're on the same level.


If possible i want to make it downstairs and either assist with a bow shot or assist with some healing.
Moving normally, it'd take both your move and standard action to get downstairs. You could reach H-10 and use Curative Admixture on someone as a minor action and drop your turret adjacent to you as a free action. To attack anyone, you'd have to spend an action point (and you'd have to use the turret to do it, since you don't have any actions remaining to draw your crossbow).


Also is the window at L12 open or closed?
L-12 is an open door. There aren't any windows on the bottom floor of the lighthouse.


The Air Elemental I am going to send down to attack the drake and try to keep him occupied. If the window at L12 is open I will send him out to harrass the investigator
OK.

On another note, I'm updating the links in my signature and in the first posts of the OOC and IC thread so they link to the latest unread or latest message in the thread.

Falconknight06
2013-01-29, 03:37 PM
I actually got a 26 to hit because of CA. I also did 11 damage and slid him around. That worked out pretty well actually.

And if at all possible, I'd like to actually push the bruiser out the door, into the minion standing outside if possible.

Tukka
2013-01-29, 04:07 PM
I actually got a 26 to hit because of CA. I also did 11 damage and slid him around. That worked out pretty well actually.

And if at all possible, I'd like to actually push the bruiser out the door, into the minion standing outside if possible.
The destination space for forced movement has to be unoccupied, and you can't slide him far enough to get him past the patrolman in the doorway, sorry. Let me know if there's anywhere else you want to try to put him.

Edit: Also, remember to make your save vs. slowed.

Rannoch
2013-01-29, 04:52 PM
I'll wait until Aeric is finished and then make my move.

Falconknight06
2013-01-29, 06:14 PM
The destination space for forced movement has to be unoccupied, and you can't slide him far enough to get him past the patrolman in the doorway, sorry. Let me know if there's anywhere else you want to try to put him.

Edit: Also, remember to make your save vs. slowed.

OK, just move him next to Aurora then (into space I-8), hopefully she can get a good hit on him before he gets back over to me.

And Aeric will shift into the bruiser's former space (I-6)

And saving versus slowed
[roll0]

Tukka
2013-01-29, 07:44 PM
OK, I've updated the map and post to reflect that.

Tegu8788
2013-01-29, 08:52 PM
Just realized that you still have my DS on the knocked out guy upstairs. Ardent Strike, like most DS, ends at the end of my next turn, which I have just taken. It lets me play Defender for a round, but it doesn't last long if I don't keep it up. Trade off for being more powerful for a hybrid.

Tegu8788
2013-01-29, 11:26 PM
I will drop as a free action, then use the action point to charge the investigator. I did add the +1 for racial boost against bloodied enemies, hence the different to-hit rolls. But I just realized I forgot to add the charge bonus. This has not been my day.

Tukka
2013-01-30, 01:11 AM
You guys can take a round to try to mop up the retreating enemies. Any enemies you don't KO next round will just escape. (The minions aren't particularly important, and the fey drake will probably be able to get away between its climb speed, stealth and invisibility unless it is KO'd or its movement is hindered badly in the next round.)

The gates are about halfway open now, and will be fully open soon. You guys might also notice some activity off in the distance in the fort; you've definitely the rebel forces' attention. It looks like in a minute or so, you're going to have some more company.

The next encounter is going to be more abstract than normal combat -- a kind of a combat skill challenge, where each "round" takes place over the course of a minute. Your task will be to stay alive and keep the rebel forces from entering the gatehouse and closing the gate while the fleet arrives. (Note that sabotaging the gate controls will give you a chance of success even if you're overwhelmed or decide to duck out a bit early, but don't count on it as a magic bullet.)

You won't have time for a full short rest, but you can spend healing surges at any time.

I'll give have more detail tomorrow after you guys try to mop up the enemies from this encounter. Feel free to ask questions or discuss ideas for holding the lighthouse.

atomiclemming
2013-01-30, 08:25 AM
Tukka: You are right that I wouldnt want to risk the turret getting smashed. I know it is supposed to be disposible but Tintau/John likes his gadgets quite a bit and feels an affinity for them almost like pets or family.
Hopefully after encounters there will be anough time to collapse it and put it back in my bag.
I can try to get a shot off on the drake next round, may not hit it, but I hate to leave that thing out there.
Does this still count as the same encounter? If so I want to move the punishing eyes down where it will do us some good here on the first floor
I also would like to spend some time studying the controls to figure out how to best sabotage them (oh to have the wands of rusting that the sabateurs had on the coaltoungue)
Also if I get a little crazy in my descriptions of powers just let me know.

Tukka
2013-01-30, 02:22 PM
Tukka: You are right that I wouldnt want to risk the turret getting smashed. I know it is supposed to be disposible but Tintau/John likes his gadgets quite a bit and feels an affinity for them almost like pets or family.
Hopefully after encounters there will be anough time to collapse it and put it back in my bag.
Yeah, that shouldn't be a problem.


I can try to get a shot off on the drake next round, may not hit it, but I hate to leave that thing out there.
Yep, go ahead and make your attack roll any time.



Does this still count as the same encounter? If so I want to move the punishing eyes down where it will do us some good here on the first floor
I also would like to spend some time studying the controls to figure out how to best sabotage them (oh to have the wands of rusting that the sabateurs had on the coaltoungue)
I suppose that it's technically two encounters, one after the other, but I'll let the eye linger a little bit longer so you get some benefit from it in the next encounter... the idea of a sentinel eye just seems cool.

Also, I misspoke above:

Hold the Lighthouse Notes
You guys have 2 minutes (2 rounds) before the first wave of enemies arrive.

Before the Hold the Lighthouse encounter officially begins, anybody that wants to can use any unexpended Second Wind or healing power. Beyond that, contrary to what I said above, you won't be able to spend healing surges freely as you would during a short rest. Also, Saradoc will have time to fire off the Pyrotechnics ritual before the encounter begins (Frothingslosh, feel free to describe what it looks like.)

However, you will recover all encounter powers before the next encounter, including healing powers.

Also, during the Hold the Lighthouse encounter:


Each round is one minute.
Using Second Wind or any other healing power is a free action.
The encounter area (https://dl.dropbox.com/s/cvg5jpmctpwv48w/HoldtheLighthouse.png) is divided into three sections: On the Sea Wall, Outside Lighthouse and Inside Lighthouse
When you take your action, you may move to any location. You remain in that location until the start of your next turn. If the lighthouse is heavily barricaded, moving in and out of the lighthouse is more difficult.


After you guys finish up trying to KO the other enemies, and as you discuss the next encounter, I'll add some more detail on the different things you can during your turn during the skill challenge.

Frothingslosh
2013-01-30, 02:39 PM
I'll burn my second wind at the end of the first encounter.

Rannoch
2013-01-30, 03:09 PM
So the drake is currently invisible at J8?

Do we want to try and kill it (and the various minions) or move on to barricading the doors/lighthouse?

Tukka
2013-01-30, 03:18 PM
So the drake is currently invisible at J8?
Yes.


Do we want to try and kill it (and the various minions) or move on to barricading the doors/lighthouse?
Erecting barricades is going to take a while (1 round/1 minute in the next encounter) so starting 6 seconds or so early isn't going to make a big difference.

Basically, you guys have one more normal turn to try to KO the remaining enemies. Then you can use your healing powers to recover, and recover your encounter powers.

Then Round 1 of the next encounter begins, although the first wave of enemies will not arrive until Round 3. (Because you guys didn't raise a ruckus before getting into the lighthouse, the fort was not on high alert, otherwise the first wave of enemies would be arriving on Round 1.)

Tegu8788
2013-01-30, 03:19 PM
I finally get a way to have CA to use my striker feature and the fight is over. Ah we'll, this next thing sounds fun.


Does anyone have any teleportation abilities? Those that can do range hang back in the tower and snipe while the melee guys go in front of the barricade and try to bottleneck them. If we can teleport the melee guys back behind the barricade after the bottleneck fails, then they can help reinforce the barricade.

If each round is a minute, and we are doing skill checks, how would you handle a Dexterity check being used to fire a gun, or an Arcana check to cast a spell we know, for example. Athletics to hold a door closed is obvious, I just want to know how far is too far.

Tukka
2013-01-30, 03:42 PM
Does anyone have any teleportation abilities? Those that can do range hang back in the tower and snipe while the melee guys go in front of the barricade and try to bottleneck them. If we can teleport the melee guys back behind the barricade after the bottleneck fails, then they can help reinforce the barricade.

If each round is a minute, and we are doing skill checks, how would you handle a Dexterity check being used to fire a gun, or an Arcana check to cast a spell we know, for example. Athletics to hold a door closed is obvious, I just want to know how far is too far.
Hold the Lighthouse Options

These are some of the ideas mentioned so far and how they'll be handled. Each of these options take up your action for the round. Remember that you can choose to aid another on checks instead of performing a check yourself.

Battle (Special)
The PC does not have to make a check to perform this action. Instead, he must have an attack power that can reach enemy forces, even just a ranged basic attack. Melee attacks work if the PC ends his turn in the same location as enemies. A range of 5 squares is necessary to reach an adjacent location, or a range of 20 squares if the enemies are not in an adjacent location.

A PC in the lighthouse can make a Stealth check (DC 18) to snipe and move to cover when attacking enemies Outside Lighthouse or On the Sea Wall. If successful, he only takes 1 damage from counterattacks.

Outcome: The PC kills one enemy. The PC can expend an encounter attack to kill 2 enemies, or a daily attack to kill 3 enemies.

Assemble Barricade (DC 18 Athletics check)
A PC hurriedly piles various objects at hand (from supplies inside the lighthouse, the barrels along the outer wall, etc.) to halt the enemies' advance. (So barricade constructed in the Outside Lighthouse location prevents them from advancing into that location, the yellow area.) The PC creates 3 points of barricade inside the lighthouse on a successful check, or 2 points of barricade outside the lighthouse. A failed check places 1 point of barricade.

A PC cannot assemble a barricade in a location already occupied by enemies. Barricading the Sea Wall (blue area) isn't practical.

The Outside Lighthouse area can support up to 20 points of barricade, while the Inside Lighthouse can support up to 10 points. More than 5 points of barricade on the Inside Lighthouse prevents the PCs' movement in and out of the lighthouse unless you devise some other way to get in and out.

Brace (DC 18 Endurance check)
The PC must be inside the lighthouse to use this action. By using his own force to hold barricades in place, he makes it harder for enemies to get through. The first two enemies who try to remove barricades this round have no effect.

Sabotage the Gate Controls (DC 18 Thievery check*)
*A technologist does not have to make a check to perform this action (auto-success). If the PCs are defeated or devise a method from retreating from the battlefield, it takes the the enemy at least 1 round to repair or work around the damage.
Enemies advance as far as they can and then either attack PCs (dealing a set amount of damage) or set to work removing barricades. Enemies will do less damage to PCs in adjacent areas. Enemies can't attack PCs in the lighthouse unless those PCs attack during that round.

Falconknight06
2013-01-30, 05:08 PM
I think the technologist and Aeric should work together to sabotage the gate controls (maybe make it harder to reverse, even though the Tech guy doesn;t have to roll), while everyone else gets themselves into position. Also, Aeric will reload both of his pistols during the downtime and place them both in their holsters. I feel like staying ranged for this next fight, just FYI to the party.